PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Memory

Miguel
13-01-2013, 10:57 PM
A bit off the wall, but:
What's the furthest back game that posters have heard someone who was actually there talking about.
My Grandad remembered the '02 cup win, but don't think he was there.
But, I once spoke to an old lady who remembered being at a cup final in the 1920s (think it was v Airdrie)?

monktonharp
13-01-2013, 11:40 PM
A bit off the wall, but:
What's the furthest back game that posters have heard someone who was actually there talking about.
My Grandad remembered the '02 cup win, but don't think he was there.
But, I once spoke to an old lady who remembered being at a cup final in the 1920s (think it was v Airdrie)?awrite Miguel. so, this grandad of yours, he remembers, or remembered?what was his employment at the time? a lamplight leerie, a bow street runner, or just an ordinary candlewax maker that sawed hooves off auld horses?

The Green Goblin
14-01-2013, 12:01 AM
A pal of mine, who posts fairly regularly on here (so I'll let him decide whether or not to reveal himself) - his grandad, who is still with us, has held a season ticket at Hibs for 80+ years. Incredible stuff.

monktonharp
14-01-2013, 12:08 AM
A pal of mine, who posts fairly regularly on here (so I'll let him decide whether or not to reveal himself) - his grandad, who is still with us, has held a season ticket at Hibs for 80+ years. Incredible stuff.that is incredable, if true! but, his granda's da wouldnae have been auld enough to see us wi' the cup,wid he? possible I suppose.

Miguel
14-01-2013, 08:47 AM
awrite Miguel. so, this grandad of yours, he remembers, or remembered?what was his employment at the time? a lamplight leerie, a bow street runner, or just an ordinary candlewax maker that sawed hooves off auld horses?

My Grandad (now dead) was eight in 1902. He remembered the celebrations as a laddie.

Peevemor
14-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Not a match, but my dad's grannie, who lived off the top of Easter Road, darned Hibs jerseys (I may have mentioned this before :smug:).

Killiehibbie
14-01-2013, 10:58 AM
I remember sitting next to an old guy at a game who saw us win the cup. He was 92 and the game was in the cup against Hearts in 1979 when we should've won it again.

superfurryhibby
14-01-2013, 11:20 AM
I met Jock Wilson in the early 1990's. He was right auld then and had memories of watching Hibs in the early 20th century. He was a remarkable man and had some attention from the media (he died aged 103).

My personal memories of ER go back to 1971. Joe Bakers return to ER and his white Stylo Matchmaker boots.

The Green Goblin
14-01-2013, 11:24 AM
that is incredable, if true! but, his granda's da wouldnae have been auld enough to see us wi' the cup,wid he? possible I suppose.

I promise you absolutely that it's true :greengrin as I have known him for most of my life. I have never thought to ask, but that's a good point you make, and I will see if I can find out.

Spike Mandela
14-01-2013, 11:27 AM
My grandfather told me the story of the 1923 Cup Final which Hibs lost 1-0 to Celtic. Told me the Celtic forward Cassidy scored with a lob over the Hibs keeper. He wasn't at the game but he remembered his uncle coming home and throwing his tea out the window. :greengrin

Miguel
14-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Jack Kinnaird, who died a couple of years back, was the second or third oldest season ticket holder at the time and was in his late 80s. When Hibs played Airdrie in the play offs in the 1990s, an old lady I knew told me shed never liked them because of the way they played against us in a cup final in the 20s. She had no family connection with Hibs, but started going when she used to walk dogs for pocket money and came across the ground by accident. She took to popping into see the last ten minutes after they opened the gates.

One Day
14-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Jack Kinnaird, who died a couple of years back, was the second or third oldest season ticket holder at the time and was in his late 80s. When Hibs played Airdrie in the play offs in the 1990s, an old lady I knew told me shed never liked them because of the way they played against us in a cup final in the 20s. She had no family connection with Hibs, but started going when she used to walk dogs for pocket money and came across the ground by accident. She took to popping into see the last ten minutes after they opened the gates.

Who is the oldest season ticket holder??????

patch1875
14-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Remember my dad taking me to a game it may have been an east of scotland shield or a testimonial against hearts i think jackie mcnamara scored the only goal???

or i may have dreamt all that....

Hibrandenburg
14-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Has anyone made a derogatory remark about Johnnyboy on this thread yet? I would but I don't know him well enough ;-)

Paisley Hibby
14-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Furthest back I've heard anyone be able to describe was the Coronation Cup Final - the guy was a celtic fan and even he said Hibs were robbbed. The more things change...

Oh, and the same guy was at the Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt European Cup final in 1960. He said that was the best game he had ever been at.

Bobo
14-01-2013, 04:45 PM
My grandfather was born in 1881 and was present at the 1902 final, although he was a Hearts man himself.

My dad was the youngest of 11 kids who all became Hibs supporters except his eldest brother who followed in my grandfathers' footsteps by supporting Hearts.

I listened to my dads stories over the years about watching Hibs pre WWII and the exploits of the Famous Five, which came after. He spoke of my grandfather seeing us lift the cup.

GoldenEagle
14-01-2013, 05:52 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3825

Hibs 0 -0 Celtic - First League game of the season and I was in the old North Stand.

ancient hibee
14-01-2013, 05:58 PM
My grandad took me to Easter Road in 1946 -I was 4-it was either Third Lanark or Clyde.I started going regularly to ER and Tynecastle in 1952.

The Green Goblin
14-01-2013, 06:17 PM
This is a brilliant thread. It's great reading everyone's stories. :agree:

.Sean.
14-01-2013, 06:20 PM
My Dad first took me to Easter Road when I was 2. First games I can remember is Celtic late 1996 and a New Years Derby in 1997. Hammered in both of them, sat in the enclosure in the old West.

greenginger
14-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Back in the 60's there always seemed to be a dog pushed on to the park in the last 10 minutes, especially Wednesday night games. Sometimes it was better entertainment than the matches.

I wonder if the old lady had anything to do with it. :greengrin

Sudds_1
14-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Has anyone made a derogatory remark about Johnnyboy on this thread yet? I would but I don't know him well enough ;-)

No need........the senile old goat wouldn't understand anyway! :greengrin

Ringothedog
14-01-2013, 06:34 PM
The 1st away game I can remember

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3002

My first home game that I remember is this http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=2996

PatHead
14-01-2013, 06:43 PM
First game was Hibs v Partick in 1969 at Easter Road, as a young boy thought the terracing went to the sky. Can't remember much about the game apart from Hibs winning and Partick having a hooped top with really thin stripes of red orage and black. Might be wrong about that if anyone could confirm their strips I would be grateful.

Jonnyboy
14-01-2013, 07:07 PM

:greengrin

Post 14 before I got a mention. I must be slipping :greengrin

Jonnyboy
14-01-2013, 07:08 PM
No need........the senile old goat wouldn't understand anyway! :greengrin

Oi you, I resemble that remark :greengrin

Jonnyboy
14-01-2013, 07:11 PM
First game was Hibs v Partick in 1969 at Easter Road, as a young boy thought the terracing went to the sky. Can't remember much about the game apart from Hibs winning and Partick having a hooped top with really thin stripes of red orage and black. Might be wrong about that if anyone could confirm their strips I would be grateful.

The Jags wore a hooped strip in 1969. Red and yellow

Scroll down on this page http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Partick_Thistle/Partick_Thistle.htm

PatHead
14-01-2013, 07:50 PM
The Jags wore a hooped strip in 1969. Red and yellow

Scroll down on this page http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Partick_Thistle/Partick_Thistle.htm

Not quite as I remember it but I was only 6 at the time! Thought there was more black in it. Thanks knew I could rely on you providing detail.

Sherlock Jones
14-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Knitted cotton. Yours for only 36 quid...

http://www.uksoccershop.com/p-16456/partick-thistle-1961-71.html

jabis
14-01-2013, 08:16 PM

uberfans don't mock the aged :aok:

:greengrin

fat freddy
14-01-2013, 08:51 PM
My personal memories of ER go back to 1971. Joe Bakers return to ER and his white Stylo Matchmaker boots.

my first game as well...a pre season friendly v middlesboro...i was told that this was joe bakers return debut and i remember his white boots..i believe we got beat 2-0 and baker had a couple of goals disallowed...nobby stiles played for boro.

Sudds_1
14-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Oi you, I resemble that remark :greengrin

:greengrin :greengrin

Miguel
14-01-2013, 11:41 PM
The first matches I can remember being at myself were games against Valencia and Hamilton in 1965, but the Hamilton game may have stuck in my mind purely because of the score line (11-1) and because - as another poster mentioned - a dog ran on the park. First derby was at Tynie in 1967? We won 4-0. Think it was 3-0 after about 10 minutes. First cup final was 6-2 defeat to Celtic in delayed League Cup Final of 1968 (actually played in 1969).

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Got nae idea what the game was, but, my first memory of ER as a wee bairn in the mid 1970's is standing at the bottom of the stairs at the back of the terracing thinking thats a lot of steps!

MSK
15-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Late 70's was when I started going to games, think the first was v Clydebank at Easter Rd ...dont remember anything other than Clydebank having horrendous strips ..& those bloody steps !!! ...however once I got the bug there was no looking back. Within a couple of years I savoured my first Scottish cup final v Rangers ..travelling through in my mates Dads classy brown Austen Allegro !!! :hide:

Tom Hart RIP
15-01-2013, 10:06 AM

my first game as well...a pre season friendly v middlesboro...i was told that this was joe bakers return debut and i remember his white boots..i believe we got beat 2-0 and baker had a couple of goals disallowed...nobby stiles played for boro.

The Middlesbrough game was Eddie Turnbulls 1st game.
Bertie Auld got injured by Stiles but refused to go off until he got revenge, which he did. Stiles carried off then Bertie walked off.
We played Shalke04 on the following Monday night and drew 0-0.
I asked a Shalke player for an autograph and he told ne to f*** off so I've hated them ever since.
I think Joe Bakers second debut was against Aberdeen in the cup the previous season. They had gone 9 or 10 games without conceding but Pat Stanton scored after 18 seconds. Joe scored the second.
GGTTH

superfurryhibby
15-01-2013, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=fat freddy;3473093]

The Middlesbrough game was Eddie Turnbulls 1st game.
Bertie Auld got injured by Stiles but refused to go off until he got revenge, which he did. Stiles carried off then Bertie walked off.
We played Shalke04 on the following Monday night and drew 0-0.
I asked a Shalke player for an autograph and he told ne to f*** off so I've hated them ever since.
I think Joe Bakers second debut was against Aberdeen in the cup the previous season. They had gone 9 or 10 games without conceding but Pat Stanton scored after 18 seconds. Joe scored the second.
GGTTH

The Aberdeen game was the one I was thinking of.

I was also at The Middlesbrough game and remember this mostly because Styles played.

Miguel
15-01-2013, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Hart RIP;3473451]

The Aberdeen game was the one I was thinking of.

I was also at The Middlesbrough game and remember this mostly because Styles played.

Don't think Aberdeen was a cup game. But they had gone ages without them losing a game and Bobby Clark a goal.

Tom Hart RIP
15-01-2013, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=superfurryhibby;3473462]

Don't think Aberdeen was a cup game. But they had gone ages without them losing a game and Bobby Clark a goal.

You're right, it was a league game. I missed Pats goal making my way from the shed to the Dunbar end as you were allowed to do in those days.

The Harp
15-01-2013, 02:11 PM
My late dad told me of going to a game with my uncle to see us take on Clyde at Shawfield (would've been just after the war). They missed the last train home and finished up getting a lift back to Edinburgh early the next morning from a newspaper delivery driver. My dad remembered the van door on the passenger side was broken and he spent the entire journey holding it shut.