PDA

View Full Version : New Deal For D?

Wotherspiniesta
13-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Hibs look to extend David Wotherspoon's contract (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/by-date/13-01-2013)
WOTHERSPOON has been in top form this season and Pat Fenlon wants to tie him down on a longer deal.

HIBS are set to offer David Wotherspoon a new deal after his superb displays this season.

The 22-year-old, who was linked with Sheffield United last year, is out of contract in the summer and free to speak to other clubs.
But the former Scotland Under-21 star has held informal talks with manager Pat Fenlon over his future following an impressive first half to the campaign.
Fenlon has placed his faith in the midfielder and Wotherspoon has rewarded him with some fantastic displays on the right flank.
That is sure to have attracted the attention of other clubs but it’s understood the player is keen to hold more formal negotiations with the Easter Road side first.
A source close to Wotherspoon said: “Hibs have told David they would like to offer him a new contract.
“Fenlon has spoken to David and said he wants to keep him.
“So David is happy to speak to the club about a new deal.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-look-to-extend-david-wotherspoons-1532040

Hopefully he signs. Much improved this season :aok:

hibs0666
13-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Think he has bought a house just outside Edinburgh with his burd.

greenlex
13-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Fenlon? :greengrin

bingo70
13-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Hibs look to extend David Wotherspoon's contract

WOTHERSPOON has been in top form this season and Pat Fenlon wants to tie him down on a longer deal.

HIBS are set to offer David Wotherspoon a new deal after his superb displays this season.

The 22-year-old, who was linked with Sheffield United last year, is out of contract in the summer and free to speak to other clubs.
But the former Scotland Under-21 star has held informal talks with manager Pat Fenlon over his future following an impressive first half to the campaign.
Fenlon has placed his faith in the midfielder and Wotherspoon has rewarded him with some fantastic displays on the right flank.
That is sure to have attracted the attention of other clubs but it’s understood the player is keen to hold more formal negotiations with the Easter Road side first.
A source close to Wotherspoon said: “Hibs have told David they would like to offer him a new contract.
“Fenlon has spoken to David and said he wants to keep him.
“So David is happy to speak to the club about a new deal.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-look-to-extend-david-wotherspoons-1532040

Hopefully he signs. Much improved this season :aok:

Definately been much improved this season and his attitude after being binned for the final deserves a huge amount of credit so i'd be pleased for him if we gave him another year or two.

That said i'd love us to start playing with a bit more pace on the wing and he's still a bit inconsistant for my liking so if he was to turn this down or if it's not true and he ends up moving away i can't say i'd be overly bothered.

Benny Brazil
13-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Think its out Kirkliston way

stanton10
13-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Definately been much improved this season and his attitude after being binned for the final deserves a huge amount of credit so i'd be pleased for him if we gave him another year or two.

That said i'd love us to start playing with a bit more pace on the wing and he's still a bit inconsistant for my liking so if he was to turn this down or if it's not true and he ends up moving away i can't say i'd be overly bothered.
Oh god and ithought this club was meant to be moving onwards, ???

Col2
13-01-2013, 01:17 PM

All about opinions but he is a decent young player with good prospects. He has skill and pace and is fairly athletic. Very much a confidence player. I am in the camp that says we should try and keep him but not break the bank.

marinello59
13-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Take a look around the SPL and tell me how much it would cost to replace him with a better player. Some people want to open their eyes to the reality of just what constitutes a more than decent top league player in Scotland. Wotherspoon definitely falls in to that category.

Stevie Reid
13-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Sky did a feature with him before the most recent derby an asked him about his contract situation, and all he would say was that he would be interested "if the deal was right". Didn't sound that enthusiastic (not that that necessarily means anything).

Wouldn't have cared at all had he left at the end of last season, but he has been a joy to watch at times this season, and has contributed a great deal.

Thing is, will he get offered an improved deal? And should he be entitled to one? I reckon he could well be offered terms on less money, which obviously won't go down well.

Frazerbob
13-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Take a look around the SPL and tell me how much it would cost to replace him with a better player. Some people want to open their eyes to the reality of just what constitutes a more than decent top league player in Scotland. Wotherspoon definitely falls in to that category.

:agree:

I would give hime a long term deal. At this time of loans and short term deals we need some consistency. Guys like Spoony are good SPL players and know what it means to play for Hibs. We need a good fewof these types around the place and in the team.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2013, 01:30 PM
He would be a good squad player imo, but if we are to progress we need better wide players. Wotherspoon has done reasonably well on the right, and deserves a new contract, like on the left, Cairney should be a better option for us in the middle if the rumour about Craig is true, the same might be the case with Wotherspoon?

Frazerbob
13-01-2013, 01:33 PM
He would be a good squad player imo, but if we are to progress we need better wide players. Wotherspoon has done reasonably well on the right, and deserves a new contract, like on the left, Cairney should be a better option for us in the middle if the rumour about Craig is true, the same might be the case with Wotherspoon?

He's also quite versatile, again something you need in a squad.

johnbc70
13-01-2013, 01:39 PM
A good SPL player and that is the market we are in. If he can rediscover his form from a few years ago (still say his best ever game was his first against St Mirren at ER) then we have a good player in our team.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2013, 01:55 PM
He's also quite versatile, again something you need in a squad.

Andy74
13-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Good player to keep but him and Cairney need competition. If they are not in top form then we don't create. Pat knows this of course but I doubt we will see any new wingers until the summer.

Elephant Stone
13-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Sky did a feature with him before the most recent derby an asked him about his contract situation, and all he would say was that he would be interested "if the deal was right".

If I was Petrie I'd only be extending his contract if the deal was right as well. I think this season he's shown that he's probably deserving of a contract but in no way an improved one. Definite improvements but I think he's incredibly frustrating at times. Definitely not worth pushing the budget for.

Stevie Reid
13-01-2013, 02:40 PM
If I was Petrie I'd only be extending his contract if the deal was right as well. I think this season he's shown that he's probably deserving of a contract but in no way an improved one. Definite improvements but I think he's incredibly frustrating at times. Definitely not worth pushing the budget for.

I would agree, think he'd be doing very well to get offered the same terms. He could no doubt get better offers elsewhere though, and I'm not that sure that DW will be with us next season. I hope he is though.

basehibby
13-01-2013, 02:43 PM

So you would just throw away a lad who has come on leaps and bounds this season after the investment of time and energy that's been put into him over a number of years would you??? Brain of Britain you are NOT - thank f*** we don't have a numpty like you in charge who would not take very long at all to make a right pig's ear of things!

For me Wotherspoon has really proven his worth this season and I'll be very happy to see him extend his deal for another 2 or 3 seasons - he has come on a lot recently and the great thing is he'll probably keep learning and get more effective still over the next couple of years.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Spoony has shown his best form when he hasn't been shuffled around.

Broken Gnome
13-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I would agree, think he'd be doing very well to get offered the same terms. He could no doubt get better offers elsewhere though, and I'm not that sure that DW will be with us next season. I hope he is though.

He could quite easily justify a better deal. Last one was signed as a youth team graduate just into to the first team, now he's pretty much a seasoned regular. Its as much based on status than on what we think his form is.

Stevie Reid
13-01-2013, 03:14 PM
He could quite easily justify a better deal. Last one was signed as a youth team graduate just into to the first team, now he's pretty much a seasoned regular. Its as much based on status than on what we think his form is.

He signed an improved deal in his first season with us, and when we were much better of financially than we are now.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20091218/wotherspoon-extends-contract-_2262950_1908644

He would do very well to get the same terms IMO - it can't be ignored that his best form has come when he first broke into the team and before that extension was signed, and then now when it is about to end. I hope he stays but I don't see him as a top earner.

Broken Gnome
13-01-2013, 03:24 PM
He signed an improved deal in his first season with us, and when we were much better of financially than we are now.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20091218/wotherspoon-extends-contract-_2262950_1908644

He would do very well to get the same terms IMO - it can't be ignored that his best form has come when he first broke into the team and before that extension was signed, and then now when it is about to end. I hope he stays but I don't see him as a top earner.

Forgot about the improved deal, apologies.

He's a mid-earner at best, but well worth keeping.

Stevie Reid
13-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Forgot about the improved deal, apologies.

He's a mid-earner at best, but well worth keeping.

Agreed!

scoopyboy
13-01-2013, 03:41 PM
My info is as follows;

1. He has bought a house with his girlfriend in Kirkliston as posted earlier in the thread. I'm positive about this.

2. Not so sure about this. D offered a deal, he wouldn't commit (possibly being offered to other clubs by his agent). D returned to Hibs saying he would sign only to be told it was no longer on the table but Hibs were prepared to negotiate again but with less money than originally offered.

My take;

1. I would like to keep him as I think after levelling off he is improving again.

2. By buying a house locally we must have a good chance of reaching an agreement without busting the bank.

3. I wouldn't go overboard to sign him, if he wants too much let him look elsewhere.

silverhibee
13-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Broken Gnome
13-01-2013, 03:59 PM
So he's likely to go in the summer?

Decent test for where Hibs are heading to see how someone like Wotherspoon is replaced.

AlbertK86
13-01-2013, 04:03 PM
I think he has improved on last season and I would keep him on same wages as now if he is prepared to stay.

However I have to disagree with whoever reckoned he had pace.

He is very frustrating in that 9 times out of 10 he turns back instead of taking his man on. When he has taken them on he usually either scores or creates a goal.

His main problem is his lack of awareness in tracking back. Very poor at helping out which is surprising since he played full back for a season.
We have lost a lot of goals down that side through his failure to track back. No coincedence we kept clean sheets against Celtic and hearts as Doyle worked his socks off out on that wing

Reasonable squad player but wouldn't be bursting the budget to keep him

superfurryhibby
13-01-2013, 04:28 PM
I think he has improved on last season and I would keep him on same wages as now if he is prepared to stay.

However I have to disagree with whoever reckoned he had pace.

He is very frustrating in that 9 times out of 10 he turns back instead of taking his man on. When he has taken them on he usually either scores or creates a goal.

His main problem is his lack of awareness in tracking back. Very poor at helping out which is surprising since he played full back for a season.
We have lost a lot of goals down that side through his failure to track back. No coincedence we kept clean sheets against Celtic and hearts as Doyle worked his socks off out on that wing

Reasonable squad player but wouldn't be bursting the budget to keep him

Agree about the defensive side of DW´s game, should be better.

Disagree about the turning back bit completely. He is the only player in the team that can take a man on and do so from further back on the field. Cairney does this effectively from close to 18 yd line, DW can do this from range.

The hardest thing in football is creating something, usually by beating a man and moving into space. IMO DW is the best in the side at doing so. Still think he is best used a s centre mid, a foil to the more destructive talents of Deegan and Claros.

New deal , absolutely.

AlbertK86
13-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Agree about the defensive side of DW´s game, should be better.

Disagree about the turning back bit completely. He is the only player in the team that can take a man on and do so from further back on the field. Cairney does this effectively from close to 18 yd line, DW can do this from range.

The hardest thing in football is creating something, usually by beating a man and moving into space. IMO DW is the best in the side at doing so. Still think he is best used a s centre mid, a foil to the more destructive talents of Deegan and Claros.

New deal , absolutely.

That's ma point about him turning back

He can beat his man as we have seen against Mothwrwell and Hearts in the cup and then score but he very rarely does it and that is what frustrates me

SMAXXA
13-01-2013, 04:52 PM
So he's likely to go in the summer?

Decent test for where Hibs are heading to see how someone like Wotherspoon is replaced.

Maybe if Liam Craig is to come in Pat may see Cairney on the right or Doyle there with cairney behind Griff if he stays.

I agree DW has improved but can also see how he frustrates some people. I actually think Doyle gives us more in that position.

Would keep him on a Lewis type 1 year deal, doesn't warrant breaking the bank for and can't imagine there will be clubs queuing up for him offering more than we would.

Hainan Hibs
13-01-2013, 04:55 PM
With the improvement this season he probably warrants a deal but I would prefer we find a more nippy winger for the position on the right.

Allant1981
13-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Not on a big basic anyway, or at least 2 yrs ago he wasnt. 800 per week with a good top up if he plays or is picked for the matchday squad. This was from a friend of his who was always feeding wee bits to me. Maybe rubbish maybe not. Cant see us offering much more now

lord bunberry
13-01-2013, 05:29 PM
His problem is he isn't a winger I would love to see him given a chance in the middle so we can see what he.can do. I remember watching him for the Scotland under 21s and he looked much more comfortable playing there but that would probably mean changing our whole style of play

SMAXXA
13-01-2013, 06:15 PM
His problem is he isn't a winger I would love to see him given a chance in the middle so we can see what he.can do. I remember watching him for the Scotland under 21s and he looked much more comfortable playing there but that would probably mean changing our whole style of play

Thing is we need players in the middle that are capable of tracking back and defending also which I'm not convinced he would do enough off. If we were to keep a deegan or Claros then have an attacking midfielder in the middle I would much rather see Cairney in that role.

3pm
13-01-2013, 06:17 PM
I won't be upset either way.

IWasThere2016
13-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Not a great wage, and a new deal will be c£1,100 - £1,200 a week. IIRC, the new hoose is a newbuild at Kirkliston.

jdships
13-01-2013, 07:09 PM
So you would just throw away a lad who has come on leaps and bounds this season after the investment of time and energy that's been put into him over a number of years would you??? Brain of Britain you are NOT - thank f*** we don't have a numpty like you in charge who would not take very long at all to make a right pig's ear of things!

For me Wotherspoon has really proven his worth this season and I'll be very happy to see him extend his deal for another 2 or 3 seasons - he has come on a lot recently and the great thing is he'll probably keep learning and get more effective still over the next couple of years.

:top marks
Some people wouldn't be happy if we signed Messi :confused:

Scouse Hibee
13-01-2013, 07:19 PM
I would be happy to see him go only if we were to replace him with someone better. The reality is that we are unlikely to be able to replace a player who has improved steadily and is versatile in a number of positions with someone much better within our budget and therefore I see him staying.

lord bunberry
13-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Thing is we need players in the middle that are capable of tracking back and defending also which I'm not convinced he would do enough off. If we were to keep a deegan or Claros then have an attacking midfielder in the middle I would much rather see Cairney in that role.

I would tend to agree with you but im not sure cairney does a great deal of tracking back either. In order for us to sustain a real challenge in the league we are goung to need cover for injuries and loss of form

SMAXXA
13-01-2013, 07:45 PM

I don't think there's any chance he will get a 2 or 3 year deal TBH, and I don't think he would merit that either, well maybe a 2 year max at a push. In the football world these days deals like these are very few and far between, I could see him being offered a year like Lewis or maybe 18 months.

I think he has improved and like you correctly say we have invested a lot of time and money into him so would make sense to offer him something else to see if he keeps progressing and developing as he has done this season. Yes he's improved, but IMO not enough to reward him a 3 year deal.

Like another poster said I personally wouldn't be that fussed either way but on this years performances I would like to see what more he can offer, maybe the second half of the season will answer some of these doubts, I for one hope he keeps improving like he has and give hibs no choice but to want to keep him.

Need consistency over the season.

SMAXXA
13-01-2013, 07:49 PM
I would tend to agree with you but im not sure cairney does a great deal of tracking back either. In order for us to sustain a real challenge in the league we are goung to need cover for injuries and loss of form

Yeah I totally agree, that's why I would say offer him another year as he would offer good options for cover, just look at Lewis as an example. Probs right about Cairney, I just think he would offer more in an attacking mid role than Spoony, not sure why just feel he would. Maybe think Cairney is a more clever player.

ancient hibee
13-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I've always assumed that his improvement at the beginning of the season was due to his contract being up for grabs.He's tailed off again in the last few games.Very inconsistent for a player now experienced and established.Should be doing much better.

LeighLoyal
13-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I'll be delighted if he stays, he has improved and will improve more.

Jonnyboy
13-01-2013, 08:52 PM
My info is as follows;

1. He has bought a house with his girlfriend in Kirkliston as posted earlier in the thread. I'm positive about this.

2. Not so sure about this. D offered a deal, he wouldn't commit (possibly being offered to other clubs by his agent). D returned to Hibs saying he would sign only to be told it was no longer on the table but Hibs were prepared to negotiate again but with less money than originally offered.

My take;

1. I would like to keep him as I think after levelling off he is improving again.

2. By buying a house locally we must have a good chance of reaching an agreement without busting the bank.

3. I wouldn't go overboard to sign him, if he wants too much let him look elsewhere.

That sounds scarily familiar J

yekimevol
13-01-2013, 11:49 PM
if he leaves then i have no more sympathy for ourselves than that for arsenal who let their best player go to 6 to 18 months of ending. they should never get that close to the end.

frazeHFC
14-01-2013, 01:27 AM
if he leaves then i have no more sympathy for ourselves than that for arsenal who let their best player go to 6 to 18 months of ending. they should never get that close to the end.

It is frustrating but 12 months ago would we be as keen as we will be now to keep him? I think his form last season left his future at Hibs in doubt, but been great this season so hopefully he stays.

hihohibby
14-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Although he is a much improved player and shone more than some of his team mates this season, I can't help but feel that he really is "average". He is at most, for me, a handy squad player who can do a tidy job filling in. Hibs standards, like the SPL as a whole, have dropped these past few seasons and Wotherspoon has become a regular purely because of the lower standards.

JimBHibees
14-01-2013, 09:43 AM
I think he has done really well this season however I wouldnt rule out PF looking for alternatives as he can a bit in and out. A player I quite like the look of in the same position is Nikey Riley of Dundee who looks a bit more pacy and direct than D. The caveat about Riley is he does seem to get injured a bit though he is out of contract end of the season.

MB62
14-01-2013, 11:48 AM
My info is as follows;

My take;

I suppose this is all about timing, e.g. when did he first get offered the new contract and then when did he return to accept it?

If the offer was pre old co going capoot then you would imagine there would be more money involved.
If Spoonie then went back to accept after Old co went bust and new Co was in div 3, the understandably any new deal would have been less as our finances would have been re-evaluated.

Of course this might not be the case at all and it's just a simple case of Spoonie took a chance thinking he get even more money elsewhere, found out there was nothing doing elsewhere and when he went running back to Hibs, we told him that deal was no longer available, them's the breaks when you try and play hard ball with oor Rod :greengrin

J-C
14-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Not fussed either way if he stays or goes as he blows hot and cold too much for my liking but I'd still give him another 18 months just so we get some money for him if we decide to sell.

SMAXXA
14-01-2013, 12:04 PM
I suppose this is all about timing, e.g. when did he first get offered the new contract and then when did he return to accept it?

If the offer was pre old co going capoot then you would imagine there would be more money involved.
If Spoonie then went back to accept after Old co went bust and new Co was in div 3, the understandably any new deal would have been less as our finances would have been re-evaluated.

Of course this might not be the case at all and it's just a simple case of Spoonie took a chance thinking he get even more money elsewhere, found out there was nothing doing elsewhere and when he went running back to Hibs, we told him that deal was no longer available, them's the breaks when you try and play hard ball with oor Rod :greengrin

:greengrin

scoopyboy
14-01-2013, 12:06 PM

dangerous hobby

superfurryhibby
14-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Agreed, Cairney does his best work close to the box. Wotherspoon is more able to run at defenders further out.

ancient hibee
14-01-2013, 07:03 PM
We only have a few players who we can rely on to play at a consistently good standard week in and week out.David isn't one of them but he should be.

J-C
14-01-2013, 07:54 PM
We only have a few players who we can rely on to play at a consistently good standard week in and week out.David isn't one of them but he should be.

Very true, Spoony started the season like a house on fire and we all thought, at last he's starting to show his worth. Funny how he's been dropped this past few games due to his levels dropping again, talented lad but so inconsistent.

The Voice Of Reason
14-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Wotherspoon has been better this season (last season he really was dire mind).

My take on it is that there must be better players available in the lower leagues (like the lad from QOTS we were rumoured to be interested in).

If we do extend Wotherspoon's contract then we definately shouldn't offer him more money. If he wants to take his chance elsewhere the then let him go. I don't imagine that Season Ticket sales would be adversely affected if he leaves ! :aok:

In Petrie We Trust.