PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams

CallumLaidlaw
12-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Some interesting stats that show how important the big man has been this season.

Save percentage.
1. Darren Randolph - 82.8%
2. Cammy Bell - 82.6%
3. Fraser Forster - 81%
4. Alan Mannus - 79.8%
5. Ben Williams - 79.6%
6. Jamie MacDonald - 75%
7. Michael Fraser - 73.8%
8. Jamie Langfield - 73.7%
9. Kyle Letheren - 73.5%
10. Rab Douglas - 73.3%
11. Antonio Reguero - 72.7%
12. Radoslaw Cierzniak - 72%
13. Mark Brown - 71.4%
14. Craig Samson - 65.1%
15. Ryan Esson - 61.9%

Average number of saves per game
1. Cammy Bell - 6
2. Darren Randolph - 5.9
3. Rab Douglas - 5.38
4. Ben Williams - 4.95
5. Alan Mannus - 4.5
6. Michael Fraser - 4.13
7. Mark Brown - 4
8. Radoslaw Cierzniak - 3.86
9. Ryan Esson - 3.71
10. Kyle Letheren - 3.57
11. Jamie Langfield - 3.48
12. Antonio Reguero - 3.43
13. Craig Samson - 3.23
14. Fraser Forster - 2.86
15. Jamie McDonald - 2.86

Average amount of time between each goal conceded
1. Fraser Forster - 135 minutes
2. Jamie MacDonald - 94.5 minutes
3. Alan Mannus - 79.2 minutes
4. Darren Randolph - 73.3 minutes
5. Jamie Langfield - 72.69 minutes
6. Cammy Bell - 71 minutes
7. Ben Williams - 70.71 minutes
8. Antonio Reguero - 70 minutes
9. Kyle Letheren - 61.5 minutes
10. Michael Fraser - 61.36 minutes
11. Radoslaw Cierzniak - 60 minutes
12. Mark Brown - 56.25 minutes
13. Craig Samson - 52.1 minutes
14. Rab Douglas - 46 minutes
15. Ryan Esson - 39.4 minutes.

Hibbyradge
12-01-2013, 10:07 AM
He's the best keeper we've had since Daniel Anderson at least.

I understand why he did it, but Tony Mowbray's biggest mistake was letting him leave.

Imagine the team we had with a decent keeper...

CallumLaidlaw
12-01-2013, 10:10 AM

I understand why he did it, but Tony Mowbray's biggest mistake was letting him leave.

What people need to remember sometimes is that if a keeper was flawless, he wouldn't be playing for us. I think Williams is a very solid keeper. Excellent shot stopper, good kicker, doesn't panic, and deals with crosses better than all of our recent keepers.

DaveF
12-01-2013, 10:33 AM
What people need to remember sometimes is that if a keeper was flawless, he wouldn't be playing for us. I think Williams is a very solid keeper. Excellent shot stopper, good kicker, doesn't panic, and deals with crosses better than all of our recent keepers.

Agree with all of that and you add in his communucation with the defence as another plus point.

JollyGreenGiant
12-01-2013, 10:50 AM
I would argue that Ben Williams is PF's best signing so far.

I think back to the keepers we have had over the last few years, and I remember how little confidence I had in any of them. That's the difference for me, I never feel nervous with Ben in goals and he makes the saves that you don't expect him to make.

#FromTheCapital
12-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Feel a lot more confident with Ben in goals and he pulls off some cracking saves. I would even say he is better than Anderson and our best since Leighton.

As a side note these stats also show how solid hearts defence has been this season as Jamie McDonald is average at best. Take away Zaliukas and Webster, which will happen if not this month then in the summer,then they are screwed.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I would love to have a keeper that has a 0% save rate, because the defenders in front of him, never let the attacking team get a shot away.

Hainan Hibs
12-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Great to have a keeper that you can have confidence in after years of dodgy keepers.

.Sean.
12-01-2013, 11:46 AM
There's some pretty solid keepers throughout the league.

Ozyhibby
12-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Feel a lot more confident with Ben in goals and he pulls off some cracking saves. I would even say he is better than Anderson and our best since Leighton.

As a side note these stats also show how solid hearts defence has been this season as Jamie McDonald is average at best. Take away Zaliukas and Webster, which will happen if not this month then in the summer,then they are screwed.

Jamie McDonald only having to make 2.86 saves a game is what is keeping them out the relegation zone. Still, having Webster and Zaliukas is keeping them from long term survival so it's all good.

Jack Hackett
12-01-2013, 12:26 PM
There's some pretty solid keepers throughout the league.

.....On the other hand, maybe some poor strikers. A similar league table of on target to shots ratio for strikers might paint a different picture.

#FromTheCapital
12-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Jamie McDonald only having to make 2.86 saves a game is what is keeping them out the relegation zone. Still, having Webster and Zaliukas is keeping them from long term survival so it's all good.

Agreed. Hope they run down their contracts and leave for the square root of **** all at the end of the season.

Also McGowan has now left so I'd expect these stats to look a bit worse for them in the 2nd half of the season.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2013, 01:27 PM

:agree: I often laugh whenever we are playing them, and folk post on here how bad they both are, and how we will punish them.

Both would walk into our side, and would make us SOOOO much better. I personally cant wait for them to piss off.

Christ i nearly said back to where they come from? :greengrin

hibeequinn
12-01-2013, 01:32 PM
shots on goal

Leigh Griffiths 71
Michael higdon 48
Kris commons 47
Jamie Murphy 47
liam Craig 47
niall mcginn 45
Steven Thompson 42
Kenny MacLean 41
Henrik ojama 23
Gary Hooper 39
victor wanyama 38
Andrew shinnie 37

on target

Leigh Griffiths 37
Michael higdon 26
Kris commons 23
Jamie Murphy 28
liam Craig 21
niall mcginn 29
Steven Thompson 24
Kenny MacLean 15
Henrik ojama 23
Gary Hooper 25
victor wanyama 15
Andrew shinnie 20

could only get 7 goal scorers on the site from that list

Leigh Griffiths 14
niall mcginn 14
Michael higdon 12
Jamie Murphy 10
Steven Thompson 10
Gary Hooper 9
Andrew shinnie 8

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

PeterboroHibee
12-01-2013, 01:36 PM
I had my doubts over Williams earlier in the season. He was making good saves but he was also making a number of key mistakes.

Been very impressed with him recently though, very solid keeper and if we can sort out the defence the number of goals we concede should drop!

Vault Boy
12-01-2013, 01:43 PM
shots on goal

Leigh Griffiths 71
Michael higdon 48
Kris commons 47
Jamie Murphy 47
liam Craig 47
niall mcginn 45
Steven Thompson 42
Kenny MacLean 41
Henrik ojama 23
Gary Hooper 39
victor wanyama 38
Andrew shinnie 37

on target

Leigh Griffiths 37
Michael higdon 26
Kris commons 23
Jamie Murphy 28
liam Craig 21
niall mcginn 29
Steven Thompson 24
Kenny MacLean 15
Henrik ojama 23
Gary Hooper 25
victor wanyama 15
Andrew shinnie 20

could only get 7 goal scorers on the site from that list

Leigh Griffiths 14
niall mcginn 14
Michael higdon 12
Jamie Murphy 10
Steven Thompson 10
Gary Hooper 9
Andrew shinnie 8

Good to see Craig up there with the shots on target if the rumours turn out to be correct. Goals from midfield is an important one, as mentioned many times before. Is Doyler also on 8 goals thus far? That'd mean our 2 first choice strikers are in the top 7 this season, a good achievement at this stage of the season. :agree:

I know a fair few Colchester fans down where I live and the lot of them are mad about Williams being gone. Their replacement 'Cousins' was supposed to step up to the mark and a lot of the fans said they would prefer Cousins in goal when Williams was rumoured to be leaving. Lets just say, he's not quite been as good for Colchester as Ben has been for us. :greengrin

hibeequinn
12-01-2013, 01:45 PM
now a don't know if Williams was to blame for the goal against the yams but if use think he was who was the last keeper to not make a ****** up and allow the yams a goal?

Postman
12-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Ben Williams has been a great signing but don't have the same memories of Daniel Andersson as some folk on here! He was decent, no more. If he was he would have played for more clubs outside Sweden than us and often he wasn't even playing in the top league over there! For me, the last keeper we had that was better than Williams was Leighton and Goram before that and no one else in between.

brog
12-01-2013, 01:52 PM
I kept shouting for a keeper as a priority last season so I'm delighted to see Ben doing so well. I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying he's also been a lucky keeper for us so far. So many potentially decent Hibs keepers have been sacrificed on the Yams altar that its wonderful that Ben has now shut them out for well over 4 hours, been a long time since that happened!! Ben did ride his luck in last game tho, missing 2 corners & spilling a soft shot. If Suttons header in last minute had been a few inches lower this thread may read a lot differently.

Stevie Reid
12-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Best goalkeeper since Andersson and this season must be the longest run of games any of our keepers has had since Daniel.

Even when Williams cost us goals (the kind that every keeper concedes at times) you could see the confidence that the back four has in him - the support does too and that makes a huge difference. The fact that he is so comfortable with the ball at his feet greatly reduces the amount of time in games that we are under pressure also.

For the last two years every time a ball came into our box from any angle, we were vulnerable - this season I still think we let crosses come in too easily but by and large we deal with them very well. Our most recent games against Celtic and Hearts are great examples of that.

hibeequinn
12-01-2013, 01:55 PM
top 12 goal scorers are

billy McKay 14
Leigh Griffiths 14
niall mcginn 14
Michael higdon 12
Jamie Murphy 10
Steven Thompson 10
Jon Daly 9
Gary Hooper 9
Andrew shinnie 8
eoin Doyle 8
Richie foran 8
cillian Sheridan 8

I'm_cabbaged
12-01-2013, 04:36 PM
top 12 goal scorers are

billy McKay 14
Leigh Griffiths 14
niall mcginn 14
Michael higdon 12
Jamie Murphy 10
Steven Thompson 10
Jon Daly 9
Gary Hooper 9
Andrew shinnie 8
eoin Doyle 8
Richie foran 8
cillian Sheridan 8

you missed out:

Yams. 20 ;)

The Voice Of Reason
12-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I would argue that Ben Williams is PF's best signing so far

No danger - what about Kujabi and/or Kuqi ?? :confused: :greengrin

macca70
13-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Fantastic keeper and saved us on so many occasions this season.

Only part of his game that makes me a little nervous is when he comes out for crosses. Came for 2 in the last derby and missed the ball completely, hearts hitting the bar from 1.

lyonhibs
13-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Those stats in isolation make MacDonald look like a decent keeper so should be treated with a big pinch of salt.

That said, Williams is the best keeper in a decade. Thanks to the past decade, it'll still be a while before I see a Hibs CB and GK running towards the ball and not s hit myself a wee bit, but Williams is a great custodian.

erin go bragh
13-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Anderson wanted to go home to his homeland , nothing Tm could have done about it .
His big mistake was not replacing him with a good keeper .

Imo Williams is the best keeper we have had since Leighton .

ggtth

Mr White
13-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Anderson wanted to go home to his homeland , nothing Tm could have done about it .

ggtth
the mad monk wasn't bad.

erin go bragh
13-01-2013, 07:06 PM
the mad monk wasn't bad.
Had forgot about him ,good keeper ,but his knee's were donald ducked .

ggtth

Mr White
13-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Had forgot about him ,good keeper ,but his knee's were donald ducked .

ggtth

Aye he was only ever going to be a short term solution due to injuries wage demands and an inability to stay at one club for more than one season!

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-01-2013, 09:57 PM
the mad monk wasn't bad.

He was one in a long line of excellent keepers that Dundee United were able to find. Wonder why the agent that was bringing them keepers, never chapped on our door?

Jonnyboy
13-01-2013, 10:04 PM

ggtth

giving Zibi a new contract just before he (TM) buggered off down south