PDA

View Full Version : 4-5-1 for rest of the season??

TheReg!
11-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Does anyone think that Pat will continue with the same formation we had against Celtic and the Yams for the rest of the season?
We saw the good and bad in the last two games, against Celtic and the Yams we were solid defensively however we offered little in attack. I fear that Pat may use this system due to the fact that we have still a poor midfield defensively.
Is he looking to consolidate on a top 6 by being this way or will we go out and get new players in and look to be in the top 3?

basehibby
11-01-2013, 07:04 PM
No - don't think so - his favoured formation has usually been 4-4-2. He adopted 4-5-1 in 2 games where he anticipated Hibs being under the kosh - don't see this being a permanent feature.

3pm
11-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Depends who is in the '5'.

TheReg!
11-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Depends who is in the '5'.

Take out Claros insert Stevenson as Claros will be gone soon it looks, the rest of the midfield will stay the same.

TheReg!
11-01-2013, 07:20 PM
No - don't think so - his favoured formation has usually been 4-4-2. He adopted 4-5-1 in 2 games where he anticipated Hibs being under the kosh - don't see this being a permanent feature.

Ok take out Claros and use a 4-4-2 Spoony Degan Taiwo Cairney, looks really short in height and lacking in Actack.
We have been under the cosh in a few games now playing in this way(442), I hope that we get a decent centre midfield player who can link mid-Atk, otherwise Pat may stick to the 4-5-1

wheniwas5
11-01-2013, 07:24 PM
i hope not or it will be torture going every other week.

Northernhibee
11-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Pat often played 4-5-1 in the big games in LOI.

lord bunberry
11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
4-5-1 Can work work with the right players but we don't have that at the moment so I hope he doesn't

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 09:02 PM
I think it will depend what strikers / midfielders we bring in during this window. We lack attacking theat IMO, I would like to see Sparky and A nother up top with Doyle on the right wing, say Liam Craig on the left if he signs and cairney and maybe Deegan or Claros / Taiwo in CM when we play games against the rest apart from Celtic and possibly Hearts (not convinced about Hearts though, have a reall go and take the game to them and see how they cope).

TheReg!
11-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I think it will depend what strikers / midfielders we bring in during this window. We lack attacking theat IMO, I would like to see Sparky and A nother up top with Doyle on the right wing, say Liam Craig on the left if he signs and cairney and maybe Deegan or Claros / Taiwo in CM when we play games against the rest apart from Celtic and possibly Hearts (not convinced about Hearts though, have a reall go and take the game to them and see how they cope).

Mmmm Two up front, Sparky and another but a brand new midfield appart from Deegan, Liam Craig looks likely to sign, I would like to see a playmaker and a decent fast winger also added, Doyle and Spoony are not consistent enough to play all the time.

Hibee Ryan
11-01-2013, 09:24 PM
I think we'll start a lot of games 4-4-2 with Doyle and Griffiths up front but if we take the lead with about 10-15 mins to go then Pat will changed to 4-5-1. I think that's why Pat likes Doyle, he is a good player but he can play up front or out wide and the same with Cairney who can play out wide or CM so even if you start 4-4-2 with a team like:

Williams

Clancy Hanlon McPake McGivern

Cairney Taiwo Deegan Wotherspoon

Doyle Griffiths

It can then change to a 4-5-1 without the need of any subs to something like:

Williams
Clancy Hanlon Mcpake McGivern

Doyle Cairney Taiwo Deegan Wotherspoon

Griffiths

So without any subs we do have a lot of flexibility between the two formations.

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Mmmm Two up front, Sparky and another but a brand new midfield appart from Deegan, Liam Craig looks likely to sign, I would like to see a playmaker and a decent fast winger also added, Doyle and Spoony are not consistent enough to play all the time.

What about Cairney? I think he will do a good job in the middle but would need someone to sit possible Deegan.

TheReg!
11-01-2013, 09:54 PM
What about Cairney? I think he will do a good job in the middle but would need someone to sit possible Deegan.

My problem with Cairney is that I think he isn't as fit as he should be, he is a great player but really fades as the game enters the last 20 minutes and he is pretty slow IMHO. I do however think he would be great in a 3-5-2 sitting behind the strikers, but that formation will never happen.

PISTOL1875
11-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Ok take out Claros and use a 4-4-2 Spoony Degan Taiwo Cairney, looks really short in height and lacking in Actack.
We have been under the cosh in a few games now playing in this way(442), I hope that we get a decent centre midfield player who can link mid-Atk, otherwise Pat may stick to the 4-5-1

We have a decent midfielder who can link the midfield and attack , his name is Paul Cairney.. Get him off the left and in the middle behind the forward..

TheReg!
11-01-2013, 10:01 PM
We have a decent midfielder who can link the midfield and attack , his name is Paul Cairney.. Get him off the left and in the middle behind the forward..

Pat knows this but he is right by playing him on the wing as he knows that Cairney will drift inside behind the two strikers, he also knows that by playing Cairney in the centre leaves us short in a defensive posture as like I said I don't think Cairney is as fit as he should be.

Geo_1875
11-01-2013, 10:52 PM
We played 4-5-1 against Celtc and had 4/5 clear goal chances. That'll do for me.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-01-2013, 10:54 PM
442 all the way for me. 451 has its moments but the balance of defence and attack suits our 442 shape and personnel.

Greendub
11-01-2013, 11:10 PM
If we have to play 4-5-1, and if we get Craig

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon Mcgivern/Stevenson
Taiwo Deegan
Doyle Cairney Craig
Griffiths

Would prefer it we worked with 442 and kept 451 for the smellies

J-C
12-01-2013, 05:36 AM
If we have to play 4-5-1, and if we get Craig

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon Mcgivern/Stevenson
Taiwo Deegan
Doyle Cairney Craig
Griffiths

Would prefer it we worked with 442 and kept 451 for the smellies

Not really a 4-5-1 is it , more like a 4-2-3-1 with the 2 holding midfielders

Fenlon's team was

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern
Taiwo Claros
Doyle Deegan Cairney
Griffiths

When Deegan/Clancy/McPake were injured he played a 4-4-2

Williams
Maybury Hanlon McGivern Stevenson
Wothersoon Claros Taiwo Cairney
Doyle Griffiths

allezsauzee
12-01-2013, 06:24 AM
4-5-1 Can work work with the right players but we don't have that at the moment so I hope he doesn't

It did against Motherwell and Celtic. Didn't against Dundee United. I think sometimes we can assume that the formation is the only reason a good or bad result is gained. I think Leigh can play up on his own, however we probably don't have enough midfielders who get forward quickly for this to be a formation to play consistently

Greendub
12-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Not really a 4-5-1 is it , more like a 4-2-3-1 with the 2 holding midfielders

Fenlon's team was

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern
Taiwo Claros
Doyle Deegan Cairney
Griffiths

When Deegan/Clancy/McPake were injured he played a 4-4-2

Williams
Maybury Hanlon McGivern Stevenson
Wothersoon Claros Taiwo Cairney
Doyle Griffiths

And you've just posted a 4-2-3-1 as well?

It was a 451, I just could'nt make how I typed it stay like that when I posted it

snooky
12-01-2013, 10:15 AM
i hope not or it will be torture going every other week.

:agree:

FFS, why not go all the way 5-5-0, a-la Potty Potter?

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Lack of pace in the front six will always hold us back, whether it is 5-1 or 4-2 or even 3-3. 5-1 should help to smother things and make it less likely that we will be over-run, but it is the speed that your players can change it, that really matters.

markom127
12-01-2013, 03:11 PM
I think a 4-3-3(4-3-1-2) would work in attack and when we lose the ball go to a 4-5-1, doyle looks really fit and could get back and defend, Cariney sitting just behind Griffiths and doyle

hibeequinn
12-01-2013, 03:18 PM
the 4-3-3 formation is better used with 2 fast wingers and a target man. A 4-3-1-2 would be a good formation with cairney sitting behind Doyle and Griffiths, but depends on who fenlon brings in this window a suppose.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2