PDA

View Full Version : Hibs and Hearts, worst in Scotland?

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Not in a football sense, but in players and the clubs disgracing themselves off the park?

This latest LG thing got me thinking, We both seem to be hitting the headlines more than other clubs with our players and clubs conduct of late.

Incidents from players such as Sparky, Deeks, Garry O, Palson and George St antics of Grof, Stokes, Stack etc. Them with Thomson, Blackie, and all the other well publicised antics over the road?

IMO you don't seem to hear about things like this from other clubs in Scotland as much if at all, recall the Goodwillie stuff and McGregors had a few mishaps too I suppose.

Even incidents such as the derby spitting, coin, flare throwing and questionable chants don't paint us in a good light at all.

I appreciate the Sevco stuff and the bile that goes with the Old Firm games don't get me wrong.

Or is it maybe cause I am in Edinburgh you hear more than maybe outsiders don't? Saying that most of our incedents seem to find their way into the national news.

I might be miles off but just something I thought about earlier.

Thoughts?

Hibercelona
11-01-2013, 05:05 PM
It's usually the same culprits that give the club a bad name. Even when they aren't playing for us anymore, they're refereed to as "ex-hibs player".

Jim44
11-01-2013, 05:09 PM
There's no getting away from the fact that we have the worst reputation for 'wayward' players in Scotland.

SouthamptonHibs
11-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Nothing wrong with our past players, young lads having fun which sometimes gets them in trouble. Not interested what they do off the field, only interested in what they do on it. If off field stuff affects on field performance then it's a problem. Hearts r far worse than us they employee beasts!

CB_NO3
11-01-2013, 05:43 PM
I reckon the glasgow media get told to cover up the old firm stories more than the Edinburgh teams. You put out a negative story about an old firm player you risk death threats and so on. As soon as they get a story about a non old firm player they release the story within minutes.

hfc rd
11-01-2013, 05:53 PM
I reckon the glasgow media get told to cover up the old firm stories more than the Edinburgh teams. You put out a negative story about an old firm player you risk death threats and so on. As soon as they get a story about a non old firm player they release the story within minutes.

This.

Kato
11-01-2013, 05:57 PM

Remember the "mystery man" pixellated out of the Andy Goram picture when AG was caught singing sectarian songs at some Loyalist do in N. Ireland? Would have ruined his media career if the pic was shown.

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Nothing wrong with our past players, young lads having fun which sometimes gets them in trouble. Not interested what they do off the field, only interested in what they do on it. If off field stuff affects on field performance then it's a problem. Hearts r far worse than us they employee beasts!

I'm not so sure they are worse from a player perspective, we seem to have more players getting into bother, mind Thomsons crime takes the crown for severity.

I also don't agree on not caring what they do off the field, that's what's wrong with our country, the mentality and social problems we have, if our players lived their lives better and were more professional who knows where we could be. Not only Hibs but Scotland aswell.

There are millions of players all over the world who conduct themselves in the right manor, generally the ones who don't never realise their potential and get to the peek of as a professional footballer, obviously within what there respective ability allows.

I wonder what people and potential players think of Hibs and the perception if they arnt close enough to us.

SouthamptonHibs
11-01-2013, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=SMAXXA;3470626]I'm not so sure they are worse from a player perspective, we seem to have more players getting into bother, mind Thomsons crime takes the crown for severity.

I also don't agree on not caring what they do off the field, that's what's wrong with our country, the mentality and social problems we have, if our players lived their lives better and were more professional who knows where we could be. Not only Hibs but Scotland aswell.

I'm not sure if footballers behave any worse now than what they did 20-30 years ago, I think these days there is more media to capture the crimes and present the info to the public, ie 24/7 news, internet, . Papers, forums, Twitter, etc
Your right our players over the past few years have been involved in different acts, fighting, antisocial behaviour, drink driving and taking drugs. The serious incident was the drink driving. The rest were minor incidents that happen every weekend in every town in Britain, it's only reported as the people involved are footballers.
I don`t think Hibs r any worse than most British football teams.
As a Hibs fan it would be great if the players stayed in and behaved themselves off the field, some will some won't.

Geo_1875
11-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Football players are simply a reflection of society in general. Go up town or read social media and it's full of tubes in their teens and 20s being ********s. Why should we expect young guys who play football for a living to be any different. The only difference between playing in Edinburgh and Glasgow is we don't have a tame media to bury the stories that come out. Remember Duncan Ferguson was a thug at Dundee United and a daft laddie while at Rangers RIP.

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=SMAXXA;3470626]I'm not so sure they are worse from a player perspective, we seem to have more players getting into bother, mind Thomsons crime takes the crown for severity.

I'm not sure if footballers behave any worse now than what they did 20-30 years ago, I think these days there is more media to capture the crimes and present the info to the public, ie 24/7 news, internet, . Papers, forums, Twitter, etc
Your right our players over the past few years have been involved in different acts, fighting, antisocial behaviour, drink driving and taking drugs. The serious incident was the drink driving. The rest were minor incidents that happen every weekend in every town in Britain, it's only reported as the people involved are footballers.
I don`t think Hibs r any worse than most British football teams.
As a Hibs fan it would be great if the players stayed in and behaved themselves off the field, some will some won't.

You make a good a point and I think your right about social media and the change in the times. Still even with that in mind its a pretty level playing field for all footballers (weegies possibly the exception if you believe the weegie media don't report it). I don't believe in locking players in their house they have to have a life, however imo this should be drink free with a complete dedication to your profession and getting your body in the best possible shape for what is a short but can be very lucrative career. If you look at the best modern day footballers I'd say most probably don't drink.

You only need to look at a lot of the african players, I don't think they are all truly gifted players but they are total athletes, look at them compared to most of the scrawny empty tracksuits we produce.

Bit of a sweeping statement I know but I believe the points still there.

Iggy Pope
11-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Worse than the Old Firm?

Neil Lennon getting battered at the traffic lights?
Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist ready to batter **** out of each other without waiting on the traffic lights?
McGregor and the Crab disgracing their country?
Stokes and his pals in the Provos?
Goram and the UDA?
Hugh Dallas and his stitches?
Hugh Dallas attempting to get us all in stitches with a gag about the Pope?
The death threats against high profile politicians and lawyers?
Parcel bombs?
The Huns in Birmingham?
Jim Traynor?

Seriously?

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Worse than the Old Firm?

Neil Lennon getting battered at the traffic lights?
Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist ready to batter **** out of each other without waiting on the traffic lights?
McGregor and the Crab disgracing their country?
Stokes and his pals in the Provos?
Goram and the UDA?
Hugh Dallas and his stitches?
Hugh Dallas attempting to get us all in stitches with a gag about the Pope?
The death threats against high profile politicians and lawyers?
Parcel bombs?
The Huns in Birmingham?
Jim Traynor?

Seriously?

Yes seriously.

When did they last play for either of the Old Firm?

The points more focused around the conduct of our respective players / club not so much about supporters. I acknowledge the bile the Old Firm bring, however I would argue their players conduct themselves in a more professional manner than some of ours and the **** seem to have done over the last few years.

Was it the huns rioting in Manchester you were referring too mate?

Iggy Pope
11-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Not in a football sense, but in players and the clubs disgracing themselves off the park?

This latest LG thing got me thinking, We both seem to be hitting the headlines more than other clubs with our players and clubs conduct of late.

Incidents from players such as Sparky, Deeks, Garry O, Palson and George St antics of Grof, Stokes, Stack etc. Them with Thomson, Blackie, and all the other well publicised antics over the road?

IMO you don't seem to hear about things like this from other clubs in Scotland as much if at all, recall the Goodwillie stuff and McGregors had a few mishaps too I suppose.

Even incidents such as the derby spitting, coin, flare throwing and questionable chants don't paint us in a good light at all.

I appreciate the Sevco stuff and the bile that goes with the Old Firm games don't get me wrong.

Or is it maybe cause I am in Edinburgh you hear more than maybe outsiders don't? Saying that most of our incedents seem to find their way into the national news.

I might be miles off but just something I thought about earlier.

Thoughts?

Yes seriously.

The points more focused around the conduct of our respective players / club not so much about supporters. I acknowledge the bile the Old Firm bring, however I would argue their players conduct themselves in a more professional manner than some of ours and the **** seem to have done over the last few years.

Yes, er, mate, It was Manchester I meant. Well spotted although I am old enough to remember them rioting in Birmingham too, without question.

Your original post however, clearly took off the field events into account so maybe a wee bit less selectivity in your response? On-field conduct is where most of it starts anyway.
Most of the misdemeanours commited by the players you mentioned are common amongst their demographic.
As soon as we need a Nil By Mouth campaign coming out of Edinburgh you will be close to having a point.

Geo_1875
11-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Yes seriously.

If you've any memory of Hugh Dallas you'll remember him playing for the OF against Hibs quite often.

And I would argue that Hibs are the most professionally run club in Scotland. And when did they last incite their fans to create disorder in order to punish the clubs they felt had done them wrong? When did their manager or chairman throw their toys out of the pram?

Get a grip FFS. Hibs players are not the best behaved in the country but they are far from the worst.

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Yes, er, mate, It was Manchester I meant. Well spotted although I am old enough to remember them rioting in Birmingham too, without question.

Your original post however, clearly took off the field events into account so maybe a wee bit less selectivity in your response? On-field conduct is where most of it starts anyway.
Most of the misdemeanours commited by the players you mentioned are common amongst their demographic.
As soon as we need a Nil By Mouth campaign coming out of Edinburgh you will be close to having a point.

I wasnt being selective, how does on-field conduct result in drug taking, alleged racism, violence, drink driving, sex offending etc?

I dont get your point in bold? Dumb it down a bit so us less educated individuals can have a decent debate.

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 09:33 PM
If you've any memory of Hugh Dallas you'll remember him playing for the OF against Hibs quite often.

And I would argue that Hibs are the most professionally run club in Scotland. And when did they last incite their fans to create disorder in order to punish the clubs they felt had done them wrong? When did their manager or chairman throw their toys out of the pram?

Get a grip FFS. Hibs players are not the best behaved in the country but they are far from the worst.

I wouldnt argue with that from a business perspective yes.

Get a grip? easy chief! I dont think its an unreasonable post TBH, so by your reconing who are the worst behaved in the country?

Im not saying we are or we arnt I posted my thoughts to get other peoples view, doesnt make me right or wrong and certainky not needing to get a grip. :confused:

Iggy Pope
11-01-2013, 09:52 PM
[/B]I wasnt being selective, how does on-field conduct result in drug taking, alleged racism, violence, drink driving, sex offending etc?

I dont get your point in bold? Dumb it down a bit so us less educated individuals can have a decent debate.

But you were being selective, hence your 'when did they last play' response

On field activity breeds the sort of contempt that things like the Nil By Mouth campaign are borne of and the OF clubs clearly have agitated this contempt for each other for some time. Had they behaved themselves over the past 100 years there would be no need for such an initiative and there would have been no loss of life.

Dumb it down a wee bit here - http://nilbymouth.org/

The other crimes-

Violence amongst Hibs players I cannot comment on as I can't think of an example. I know one of them was assualted recently. Is this what you are driving at? You might be able to expand. Was he somehow at fault in your opinion?

Sex? Hopefully the Thomson case is a one-off. Much as we enjoy the mileage in it. Have I missed anything else?

Drink, drugs? Hellish really but not exclusive at all to an EH postcode. And in any case, at least one if them now draws a wage from a G51 postcode and all of the other individuals you speak of are long gone.

Racism? If I am reading you right, there are pages and pages about this young bampot's ill-advised comment elsewhere, Doubtful if he can be deemed racist or he would surely not have apologised as quickly as he did? If he trots out at ER against Dundee draped in his UJ then I'm with you.

So out of the current lot of Hibs and Hearts squads you denegrate, where are the offenders? Lets have that debate now.

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 10:10 PM
But you were being selective, hence your 'when did they last play' response

On field activity breeds the sort of contempt that things like the Nil By Mouth campaign are borne of and the OF clubs clearly have agitated this contempt for each other for some time. Had they behaved themselves over the past 100 years there would be no need for such an initiative and there would have been no loss of life.

Dumb it down a wee bit here - http://nilbymouth.org/

The other crimes-

Violence amongst Hibs players I cannot comment on as I can't think of an example. I know one of them was assualted recently. Is this what you are driving at? You might be able to expand. Was he somehow at fault in your opinion?

Sex? Hopefully the Thomson case is a one-off. Much as we enjoy the mileage in it. Have I missed anything else?

Drink, drugs? Hellish really but not exclusive at all to an EH postcode. And in any case, at least one if them now draws a wage from a G51 postcode and all of the other individuals you speak of are long gone.

Racism? If I am reading you right, there are pages and pages about this young bampot's ill-advised comment elsewhere, Doubtful if he can be deemed racist or he would surely not have apologised as quickly as he did? If he trots out at ER against Dundee draped in his UJ then I'm with you.

So out of the current lot of Hibs and Hearts squads you denegrate, where are the offenders? Lets have that debate now.

The other crimes-

Violence amongst Hibs players I cannot comment on as I can't think of an example. I know one of them was assualted recently. Is this what you are driving at? You might be able to expand. Was he somehow at fault in your opinion? - McCormack and Stack seperate incidents

Sex? Hopefully the Thomson case is a one-off. Much as we enjoy the mileage in it. Have I missed anything else? - Nope this is the case

Drink, drugs? Hellish really but not exclusive at all to an EH postcode. And in any case, at least one if them now draws a wage from a G51 postcode and all of the other individuals you speak of are long gone. - Didnt say it was exclusive, and yes players who committed said offences are no longer here. They were at the respective clubs during both instances.

Racism? If I am reading you right, there are pages and pages about this young bampot's ill-advised comment elsewhere, Doubtful if he can be deemed racist or he would surely not have apologised as quickly as he did? If he trots out at ER against Dundee draped in his UJ then I'm with you. - Whos being selective now, I didnt say he was racist I said alleged racism didnt I?

So out of the current lot of Hibs and Hearts squads you denegrate, where are the offenders? Lets have that debate now. - I at no point said the offenders were all still at Hibs, you are missing the point IMO.

You cannot argue that Hibs and Hearts players of recent years, havnt brought bad press to their clubs for a number of non-football related instences. And IMO it seems more so than any other Scottish Club, thats really the point I was making.

Looks like we disagree on this, im not going to get into an arguement and start posting scarcastic replies. FWIW the nilbymouth has no relevance to my point, I didnt say we had any sectarian issues.

Iggy Pope
11-01-2013, 10:41 PM
The other crimes-

Violence amongst Hibs players I cannot comment on as I can't think of an example. I know one of them was assualted recently. Is this what you are driving at? You might be able to expand. Was he somehow at fault in your opinion? - McCormack and Stack seperate incidents

Sex? Hopefully the Thomson case is a one-off. Much as we enjoy the mileage in it. Have I missed anything else? - Nope this is the case

Drink, drugs? Hellish really but not exclusive at all to an EH postcode. And in any case, at least one if them now draws a wage from a G51 postcode and all of the other individuals you speak of are long gone. - Didnt say it was exclusive, and yes players who committed said offences are no longer here. They were at the respective clubs during both instances.

Racism? If I am reading you right, there are pages and pages about this young bampot's ill-advised comment elsewhere, Doubtful if he can be deemed racist or he would surely not have apologised as quickly as he did? If he trots out at ER against Dundee draped in his UJ then I'm with you. - Whos being selective now, I didnt say he was racist I said alleged racism didnt I?

So out of the current lot of Hibs and Hearts squads you denegrate, where are the offenders? Lets have that debate now. - I at no point said the offenders were all still at Hibs, you are missing the point IMO.

You cannot argue that Hibs and Hearts players of recent years, havnt brought bad press to their clubs for a number of non-football related instences. And IMO it seems more so than any other Scottish Club, thats really the point I was making.

Looks like we disagree on this, im not going to get into an arguement and start posting scarcastic replies. FWIW the nilbymouth has no relevance to my point, I didnt say we had any sectarian issues.

None of your responses relate to anyone anywhere near either club (David Grof FFS???) and you are playing a daft wee game with the race question unless Racism is rife throughout our clubs. Is this what you are alleging?
If you thought I was being sarcastic, then I think you are wrong, but I apologise. I responded to your OP by drawing a parallel with the OF. The Nil By Mouth initiative and the antics of OF players and representatives is a tangible reason why Hibs / Hearts are not 'Worst In Scotland'. And never will be.

Out of all of your examples of bad boys, I can only think that Ian Black currently plays for The Rangers. The rest?

We have both had wrong 'uns - they've long gone
He***s had a sex pest - he's long gone
There is a current allegation of racism against one of our number - far from clear cut and opinion well divided.

If I have missed your point you need to tell me what it is again or convince yourself that you had one in the first place.

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 10:53 PM
None of your responses relate to anyone anywhere near either club (David Grof FFS???) and you are playing a daft wee game with the race question unless Racism is rife throughout our clubs. Is this what you are alleging?
If you thought I was being sarcastic, then I think you are wrong, but I apologise. I responded to your OP by drawing a parallel with the OF. The Nil By Mouth initiative and the antics of OF players and representatives is a tangible reason why Hibs / Hearts are not 'Worst In Scotland'. And never will be.

Out of all of your examples of bad boys, I can only think that Ian Black currently plays for The Rangers. The rest?

We have both had wrong 'uns - they've long gone
He***s had a sex pest - he's long gone
There is a current allegation of racism against one of our number - far from clear cut and opinion well divided.

If I have missed your point you need to tell me what it is again or convince yourself that you had one in the first place.

From the guy who just said that about being sarcatic (bits in bold), and with your 'Yes, eh, Mate comment', I dont believe im worng actually.

Daft wee game? What you talking about man? Dont put words in my mouth I didnt allege that at all. The point is all these instances regardless if they are still here or not (again I didnt ever say current team but dont let that affect your point) bring so much bad press to Hibs and hearts and is a result of players conducting themselves in an unacceptable mannor? Do you see Aberdeen, Kili, Well etc players in the news for all that ****, no I dont believe you do?

As you will see from my other comments around players and the way they live their lives and how they conduct themselves, that is the point I am making, didnt think it was hard to miss if im honest.

Again I dont believe sectarianism is an issue.

Iggy Pope
12-01-2013, 12:00 PM
From the guy who just said that about being sarcatic (bits in bold), and with your 'Yes, eh, Mate comment', I dont believe im worng actually.

Daft wee game? What you talking about man? Dont put words in my mouth I didnt allege that at all. The point is all these instances regardless if they are still here or not (again I didnt ever say current team but dont let that affect your point) bring so much bad press to Hibs and hearts and is a result of players conducting themselves in an unacceptable mannor? Do you see Aberdeen, Kili, Well etc players in the news for all that ****, no I dont believe you do?

As you will see from my other comments around players and the way they live their lives and how they conduct themselves, that is the point I am making, didnt think it was hard to miss if im honest.

Again I dont believe sectarianism is an issue.

You seem happier to pick holes in the context of my posts rather than attempt to prove your point (the crux of which, would appear to be that the Edinburgh clubs used to have a lot of problem players, but they don't anymore)

As far as the 'mate' bit goes, I responded like that to you in kind. We're obviously not 'mates' so keep the jocular familiarity to your self.

Ta

SMAXXA
12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
You seem happier to pick holes in the context of my posts rather than attempt to prove your point (the crux of which, would appear to be that the Edinburgh clubs used to have a lot of problem players, but they don't anymore)

As far as the 'mate' bit goes, I responded like that to you in kind. We're obviously not 'mates' so keep the jocular familiarity to your self.

Ta

You'd think I'd pissed on your chips or sumit. I said mate as I do with a lot of people and so do other posters its a figure of speach and I won't change how I speak for you.

As I said I believe I made my comments I did not at any point aim to prove any point, you started coming out with all the links to websites that had no relevance.

I won't say another thing on the matter, I was looking for a balanced debate of which some above posts responded in kind, you on the other hand resorted to sarcastic comments and 'stupid little games' comment.

No doubt you will want the last word on this so feel free, I won't be replying to your patronising comments.