PDA

View Full Version : Funny memories of Hibs players?

hibby rae
11-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I'll get the ball rolling. At fir park about 2006/7 Ivan was stretching off in front of the away end when he got the other player to hold his leg for him. The stand starts wolf whistling etc and does a 'cheeky' look back bent over with finger over his mouth and the other hand on his arse!

Golden Bear
11-01-2013, 04:40 PM
John Burridge - cult hero, mad as a hatter but a great keeper all the same.

His pre match warm up routines were legendary.

:greengrin

Billychaotic182
11-01-2013, 05:03 PM
I enjoyed Tam McManus's goal celebration against utd when he started poll dancing

Billychaotic182
11-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Or when Stack tried to enter the Celtic huddle

Jack
11-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Stack - naked cartwheel in background of interview.

SteveHFC
11-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Or when Stack tried to enter the Celtic huddle

This

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46293000/jpg/_46293036_stack_huddle.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2284/5710435754_5b21e74b44_z.jpg:faf:

Hibercelona
11-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Konte ducking under the ball when it would have been easier to score!

Jack
11-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Alex Edwards hiding the ball in the back of his jersey then holding his hand out, palms upwards, shaking his head as if to say 'I've not got it'. The towering opponent leaned over and AE flicked it over his head without him seeing it then pointed to it. Of course the guy didn't believe him.

European game, you had to be there :-)

Wembley67
11-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Yogi streaking during an interview...Alex McLeish?

hfc rd
11-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Pa Kujabi free kick last season against Well. Never seen the whole of ER laugh so much. Fenlon's face was absolutely priceless after that attempt.

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Being sick over Willie Murray's head in a night club somewhere like Brora or Inverness around 1977/8.

Mark79
11-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Chic charnley booting the balls from the warm up into the east stand and encouraging us to nick them.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Tony Mowbray and Mark Venus scouring the boozers of Daugavpils looking for Hibs players and then Mr Venus in particular enjoying himself in one of said establishments later on that night!

Fife-Hibee
11-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Tony Mowbray and Mark Venus scouring the boozers of Daugavpils looking for Hibs players and then Mr Venus in particular enjoying himself in one of said establishments later on that night!

Remember picking up Alex mcleish and Andy watson and driving them round half the pubs in the toon lookin for the players' they had all done a runner on a xmas night oot !!

gogsy23
11-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Think it was mickey weir pulling down a saints players shorts at easter rd.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Does anyone remember crunchie bouncing the ball off the celtic players head

Prof. Shaggy
11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Does anyone remember crunchie bouncing the ball off the celtic players head

Thought it was oldco?

Mine was Dave Beaumont running back to cover a hoof into our box from a Falkirk kick-off. He took is eye off the ball which bounced off the back off his head into the path of one of the attackers. Said forward was instantly flattened. Pen - 2-2.

--------
11-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Midweek Rangers match in the late 70's. Horrid drizzly winter's night with about 10,000 in the ground.

Hibs attack up the slope; Onion loses his boot, and he's too lazy to go off the field. He just settles down to put it back on right on the Rangers 6-yard line while the Rangers goalkeeper Peter McCloy clears his lines downfield - straight to Alan Rough, who gathers it and punts it straight back upfield.

Now I know that those who remember him will find this hard to believe, but Ally McLeod set off like a rocket after that ball, closely followed by Derek Johnstone and Colin Jackson intent on doing him serious injury. Ally times his run perfectly, the ball drops right in front of him, and he hits it with a toe-poke first time and raps a screamer off the Rangers cross-bar (dang!).

McCloy, Johnstone, and Jackson are all three going ape. (Not a hard thing for Rangers players to do, of course - they're halfway there already.)

Because all this time Onion's been kneeling right in front of the Rangers goal, tying his laces and trying to make like a shadow. He's so far offside that none of the officials can see him.

The referee calls Jackson and Johnstone over, takes out his notebook, and starts to book them.

John B finishes tying his laces and very quietly and surreptitiously sneaks back down the pitch behind the referee who's totally oblivious, dealing with two dangerously apoplectic Huns.

Finally Johnstone gets the ref's attention and points up the park at the Rangers goal, obviously telling the ref that there was a Hibs player 45 yards offside when Rough cleared the ball upfield.

Referee stops writing in his book, looks upfield - nobody there. Shakes his head, tells DJ not to tell porkies. Books DJ, books CJ, gives Peter McCloy a stern warning as to his future conduct and gives us a free-kick in the Rangers half of the centre-circle.

The only blot on the landscape was that the ball didn't go in the net.

jabis
11-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Think it was mickey weir pulling down a saints players shorts at easter rd.

John McLelland v St Johnstone :greengrin,loved it.

Steve-O
11-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Sproule rounding the keeper v Arbroath at ER in about 2006 and blasting the ball wide of the empty net from 6 yards was quite a cracker. Mass laughter all round.

.Sean.
12-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Patiently waiting for DirtyDirk's Derek Townsley story....!

RC1875
12-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Lapaty's penalty in Ian Murray's Testimonial match

Miguel
12-01-2013, 12:46 AM
John McNamee cannoned a shot off my head as I was sitting on the wall of 'the cave' in the mid-60s. Came over, ruffled the hair on my dazed head and said: 'Aw right wee man'! Mass of Cave-dwellers pissing themselves.

Jack
12-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Arthur Duncan signing autographs and chatting with fans in the East just before kick off. Still there doing the same minutes into the game oblivious to the game having started.

Hibs players going mad then shaking their heads as he apologies to them.

Happened quite often.

--------
12-01-2013, 09:40 AM
John McNamee cannoned a shot off my head as I was sitting on the wall of 'the cave' in the mid-60s. Came over, ruffled the hair on my dazed head and said: 'Aw right wee man'! Mass of Cave-dwellers pissing themselves.

A young guy from the Bellshill area was on trial at ER. The lad was a centre-forward, so he was directly up against BBJ. Right at the start of the match his winger sent a corner into the Hibs goalmouth, and the boy beat BBJ to the ball and put a header just over the bar. BBJ helped the lad back to hius feet, a broad smile on his face, clapped him on the back, and clearly said something to the boy. The boy's dad thought that this was nice - the seasoned professional encouraging his laddie, maybe congratulating him on the header. At HT he asked the boy what BBJ had said.

"He told me that if I did that again, he'd break both my effing legs."

snooky
12-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Midweek Rangers match in the late 70's. Horrid drizzly winter's night with about 10,000 in the ground.

Hibs attack up the slope; Onion loses his boot, and he's too lazy to go off the field. He just settles down to put it back on right on the Rangers 6-yard line while the Rangers goalkeeper Peter McCloy clears his lines downfield - straight to Alan Rough, who gathers it and punts it straight back upfield.

Now I know that those who remember him will find this hard to believe, but Ally McLeod set off like a rocket after that ball, closely followed by Derek Johnstone and Colin Jackson intent on doing him serious injury. Ally times his run perfectly, the ball drops right in front of him, and he hits it with a toe-poke first time and raps a screamer off the Rangers cross-bar (dang!).

McCloy, Johnstone, and Jackson are all three going ape. (Not a hard thing for Rangers players to do, of course - they're halfway there already.)

Because all this time Onion's been kneeling right in front of the Rangers goal, tying his laces and trying to make like a shadow. He's so far offside that none of the officials can see him.

The referee calls Jackson and Johnstone over, takes out his notebook, and starts to book them.

John B finishes tying his laces and very quietly and surreptitiously sneaks back down the pitch behind the referee who's totally oblivious, dealing with two dangerously apoplectic Huns.

Finally Johnstone gets the ref's attention and points up the park at the Rangers goal, obviously telling the ref that there was a Hibs player 45 yards offside when Rough cleared the ball upfield.

Referee stops writing in his book, looks upfield - nobody there. Shakes his head, tells DJ not to tell porkies. Books DJ, books CJ, gives Peter McCloy a stern warning as to his future conduct and gives us a free-kick in the Rangers half of the centre-circle.

Who was the ref?
Normally, against the Weege a ref would sent Onion off for ...... well, they would find something in the rule book to adapt to the situation I'm sure (whether they saw what happened or not.)

Carheenlea
12-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Think it was Love Street, back in early 90's, and Gordon Hunter gathered ball in his own half and then embarked on an impressively mazy dribble down the right flank, right go the bye-line before suffering the classic ball dinking off the left toe and making a fresh air swipe at an attempted cross with the right, ball dribbling out for a goal kick.
Geebsie could only laugh along with everyone else in ground, with possible exception of Lexo.

clerriehibs
12-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Many moments from Best ... tho there's been a recent topic all of its own for him. My personal favourite was best pretending to stick the flag up mcgrain's erchie.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Joe T's " tackle" on WGS in Gordon Rae's testimonial.

superfurryhibby
12-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Joe T's " tackle" on WGS in Gordon Rae's testimonial.
k
That tackle wasn´t very funny in my book, totally uncalled for.

I remember liking Yogi ramming his shorts up his crack and bending over to stretch whilst the Hearts fans were singing about Hibs being gay.

Glory Lurker
12-01-2013, 12:31 PM
I remember, in about 1993 or thereabouts, Willie Miller sliding in for a tackle in front of the old east terracing. It was right on the line and he slid through the player and on towards a polis. He'd had his back to the game, so he was totally unprepared and went down like a sack of tatties. Needless to say, this was met with sympathetic sighing from everyone who saw it! Totally felt for the boy!

--------
12-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Who was the ref?
Normally, against the Weege a ref would sent Onion off for ...... well, they would find something in the rule book to adapt to the situation I'm sure (whether they saw what happened or not.)

Don't know - he was from Stenhousemuir. This was a long time ago and I'm rapidly declining into senility these days.

Thing is, Onion wasn't exactly inconspicuous on the football field - he was a big lad.

And TBF, this was before segregated crowds, and the Rangers supporters around me were as amused and bemused as the Hibees. (I don't think they'd have seen the funny side if the ball had ended in the net and the ref had allowed the goal, mind.)

And then there was Ned Turnbull's merry quip when he described Lard-ass Joe Harper as a 'top-class centre-forward who will win us the League'.

How we laughed!

hibeequinn
12-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Tam McManus against Celtic before kick off picking his beak and then looking about before shoving his finger in his mouth

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

hibby rae
12-01-2013, 01:17 PM
k
That tackle wasn´t very funny in my book, totally uncalled for.

I remember liking Yogi ramming his shorts up his crack and bending over to stretch whilst the Hearts fans were singing about Hibs being gay.

Millenium derby at Tynie? I remember the evening news having that photo on the back page.

hibby rae
12-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Anyone else remember during a derby at ER we got a free kick about 25 yards from their goal and when the ref wasnae looking Deek picked up the ball and chucked it forward. The ref turns back around and Deek points to the wall and says that's no 10 yards, ref orders the wall back and they're raging. Pissing myself during that one.

hibbybrian
12-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Drybrough Cup game at ER v Rankers where there was a no offside line extending from the penalty box and Arthur smiling as he trotted back and forth along the line closely followed by Sandy Jardine :greengrin

Alex Cropley getting booked for keeping moving with the ball whilst making sure the Ref was between him and a Hertz player :greengrin

Bobo
12-01-2013, 02:35 PM

Heard a story about an exchange Brownlie had with a ref while getting a ticking off during a game ...

Brownlie: " Ref, if I called you a b'strd would you book me?"
Ref: " of course I would, I wouldn't let you away with that"
Brownlie: " but if I only thought you were a b'strd you couldn't, could you."
Ref " I suppose not"
Brownlie (as he walks away smiling)... " well I think you're a b'strd".

Quality :greengrin

HoboHarry
12-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Non Hibs but funny anyway. Joe Harper at Pittodrie giving a nod and a wink to the crowd then thumping a shot during the pre-match warm up beyond the goal and hitting a police officer who had his back to the field.

superfurryhibby
12-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Drybrough Cup game at ER v Rankers where there was a no offside line extending from the penalty box and Arthur smiling as he trotted back and forth along the line closely followed by Sandy Jardine :greengrin

Alex Cropley getting booked for keeping moving with the ball whilst making sure the Ref was between him and a Hertz player :greengrin

Nice photo Brian and good anecdotes. I think that Yogi must have done the shorts thing in a few games. The one I remember was an end of season affair at the Sty. We lost 2-1 although Tam Manus made a big impression.

Mr White
12-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Nice photo Brian and good anecdotes. I think that Yogi must have done the shorts thing in a few games. The one I remember was an end of season affair at the Sty. We lost 2-1 although Tam Manus made a big impression.

That was yogis last game for us- he blew the merricks a kiss when they sang yogis on the dole. Also the only derby we lost while mcleish or sauzee were at the club I think. Franck didn't play that day IIRC.

McD
12-01-2013, 08:04 PM
That was yogis last game for us- he blew the merricks a kiss when they sang yogis on the dole. Also the only derby we lost while mcleish or sauzee were at the club I think. Franck didn't play that day IIRC.

Wasnt that mcmanus's derby debut? Think Martin macintosh got sent off in that game. It threw up an odd quirk of fixtures, that was the last game of the season, and the first of the next season was also against hearts.

Tom Hart RIP
12-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Willie Miller at Dunfermline. Someone overhit a pass which was going over his head and out for a throw in. For reasons only known to him, he jumped up and caught it getting a second yellow card from a bemused ref.
We lost the game and ended up relegated.

AK86
12-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Andy Gorman after beating ****bos in 6 aside semi ,reporter asked him who wanted in the final, the beast said " hearts again"

boozy sold Lennon a dummy at ER then dragged the ball back and merged him just for the fun of it
that was classy :not worth

superfurryhibby
13-01-2013, 07:40 AM

Well remembered. Main stand out was McManus´s performance. He looked an awesome prospect.

Mr White
13-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Well remembered. Main stand out was McManus´s performance. He looked an awesome prospect.
Aye, he played on the right that day did he not? First time I had seen him play and thought he was a winger.