PDA

View Full Version : ESPN could quit Scottish football with TV deal cancellation

YehButNoBut
11-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Just reported in the Scotsman that ESPN could quit their TV deal with Scottish football at the end of this season due to a dip in viewing figures. They currently spend around £4 million so will surely mean less money for all clubs and a further tightening of the belt in Scottish football.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/english/espn-could-quit-scottish-football-with-tv-deal-cancellation-1-2732361

SPORTS broadcaster ESPN could pull put of their deal to show Scottish football at the end of this season.
It is understood that the sports network has a clause in their contract that allows them to cancel the current deal, signed last summer, with the SPL and SFL.

ESPN recently lost the rights to broadcast English Premier League football, the knock-on effect of that loss could mean they look to cut all ties with Scottish football.

Viewing figures for the SPL have dipped this season, in part due to the loss of Rangers from the top flight, and the prospect of another tumultuous off-season with league realignment in the offing could prove a turn off for television networks.

ESPN’s current deal is worth around £4 million to Scottish football, if they end their deal prematurely Sky could step in giving them a monopoly on coverage of the Scottish game.

The ESPN Scottish football deal - 30 games a season including 10 Rangers games - could be of interest to BT Vision who have dipped into the live football market by signing the rights to show the English Premier League.

DarrenSQH
11-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I dont think its any secret that ESPN is closing down in the summer.

They havent renewed any contract for anything. Monday night NFL went to BBC and I heared the NBA will be on sky sports.

Elephant Stone
11-01-2013, 10:43 AM
I'd be willing to take the financial hit to have Craig Burley launched from any football coverage. Bring it on.

PatHead
11-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Surely mean more 3pm Saturday kick offs

truehibernian
11-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Mmmm.........no Craig Burley........no Stephen Craigan........no Billy Dodds' ears affecting my TV reception during his punditry.........win/win - bye bye ESPN :bye:

--------
11-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Just reported in the Scotsman that ESPN could quit their TV deal with Scottish football at the end of this season due to a dip in viewing figures. They currently spend around £4 million so will surely mean less money for all clubs and a further tightening of the belt in Scottish football.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/english/espn-could-quit-scottish-football-with-tv-deal-cancellation-1-2732361

SPORTS broadcaster ESPN could pull put of their deal to show Scottish football at the end of this season.

It is understood that the sports network has a clause in their contract that allows them to cancel the current deal, signed last summer, with the SPL and SFL.

ESPN recently lost the rights to broadcast English Premier League football, the knock-on effect of that loss could mean they look to cut all ties with Scottish football.

Viewing figures for the SPL have dipped this season, in part due to the loss of Rangers from the top flight, and the prospect of another tumultuous off-season with league realignment in the offing could prove a turn off for television networks.

ESPN’s current deal is worth around £4 million to Scottish football, if they end their deal prematurely Sky could step in giving them a monopoly on coverage of the Scottish game.

The ESPN Scottish football deal - 30 games a season including 10 Rangers games - could be of interest to BT Vision who have dipped into the live football market by signing the rights to show the English Premier League.

There are a few facts in that report, and a whole lot of supposition.

FACTS - ESPN have seen a drop in viewing figures for SPL games, they lost the rights to EPL football, and the current deal is worth £4 million.

SUPPOSITION - that ESPN have already made their minds up to cancel their deal with the SPL.

SUPPOSITION - that a re-org of the Leagues will 'prove a turn-off' for TV channels.

SUPPOSITION - that nobody else will step in to televise the SPL, except that it turns out that BT Vision and SKY are both potential replacements for ESPN.

SUPPOSITION - that having lost the EPL, ESPN will inevitably pull out of the SPL/SFL as well.

What would sports 'journalists' do without the words 'could' and 'it is understood'? They'd have to keep to the facts of the stories they report, and they'd get bored, and they wouldn't be able to spin stories to please the gys who sign their meal tickets.

The spin again is about how Scottish football's going to the wall without the Lovely New Rangers in the SPL. The fact (as I read this) is that one TV channel MAY be about to withdraw, while two other TV channels COULD be ready to step in and offer new contracts to take the present contract's place.

lord bunberry
11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
I hope they do cancel and sky follow suite

Alfred E Newman
11-01-2013, 11:16 AM
I hope they do cancel and sky follow suite

Agree. Daft kick off times to suit Tv is killing the game as a spectator sport.

green&left
11-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Good.

One down one to go.

ESPN will be offskie, replaced by a BT Sports channel perhaps? BT won the rights for Italian, French US and possibly Dutch football that ESPN had.

lord bunberry
11-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Agree. Daft kick off times to suit Tv is killing the game as a spectator sport.

I would love to see how much money we make from these tv deals i would guess it isnt much

Gatecrasher
11-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I dont think its any secret that ESPN is closing down in the summer.

They havent renewed any contract for anything. Monday night NFL went to BBC and I heared the NBA will be on sky sports.

Do you know if ESPN America in continuing? (which is the only real reason for my subscription) or will we have to subscribe to the ESPN Player?

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Nae great loss, particularly the consistently negative Burley. He has almost become a caricature of himself, I think he has developed a negative persona all of his own.

JeMeSouviens
11-01-2013, 11:21 AM
There is a new kid on the sports broadcasting block:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/10/bt-gauntlet-sky-sports-coverage

Imo, we should be making the move to a summer season now. Apart from all the other reasons why it would be better (pitches, weather etc) there's got to be more value in SPL rights over the English close season?

DarlingtonHibee
11-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Chairman of BT is a director of Celtic FC

Chuck Rhoades
11-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Good. Both ESPN and Sky can do one. Maybe then we could increase our attendances to average 14/15k per season.

Fans before TV.

DarrenSQH
11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Do you know if ESPN America in continuing? (which is the only real reason for my subscription) or will we have to subscribe to the ESPN Player?

I would imagine that will continue as it was there before the other espn channel and even before that it was called nasn.

Gatecrasher
11-01-2013, 11:39 AM
I would imagine that will continue as it was there before the other espn channel and even before that it was called nasn.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out though.

zlatan
11-01-2013, 11:43 AM
BT wanted it before the deal was renegotiated in the summer so it'll pick up what's left. ESPN is done I'd imagine which is a pity because I enjoyed it (Craigan and Burley aside).

Hainan Hibs
11-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Nae bothered.

PatHead
11-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Maybe one of the "council telly" channels will take it on. Wonder how much Beeb pay for Alba deal and if they would pay more when you look at the spend on England. Alternatively if STV/ITV will look for live football now that they have lost the FA Cup.

Albanian Hibs
11-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Good riddance

iwasthere1972
11-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Good Riddance. Rubbish pundits and not worth the £8 a month.

lord bunberry
11-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I have espn at the moment but if bt take it over I won't be paying for it its only because I get espn for free that stops me canceling it altogether. There is no way I will be shelling out my hard earned to watch rangers in the national league or whatever they will be calling it

neilmartinrocks
11-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Maybe someone else knows for sure ....but wasn't espn considering concentrating on yank sports' basketball, baseball, rugby for poofs and ice hockey?
Sure I heard it last summer.

rossevenil
11-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Thats what happens when you give air time to Scottish 3rd Division football!!!
Serves them right assuming that we would all tune in like sheep to watch the mighty rangers fight their way back
from the wrongs that have been done to them.

Dont know any of my friends that doesnt change from ESPN as soon as one of their games comes on.

ancient hibee
11-01-2013, 02:53 PM
I would love to see how much money we make from these tv deals i would guess it isnt much

Your guess would be very wrong.Best part of a million quid.

superfurryhibby
11-01-2013, 03:39 PM

Broadcasting rights are c13 million quid. 48% of which are divided equally between 12 clubs and the rest determined by league finish. What that means for us, **** knows. I guess we would also need to balance it with how much we lose through the gate and the associated matchday revenue lost.

Anyway, isn´t this stuff all available for nothing on the internet?

lucky
11-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Rodders told us all at the fan forum in the Hibs club that Hibs voted against the deal with ESPN due to the silly kick off times. So it cant be worth a lot of money to Hibs. Less TV games means more through the gate at ER

superfurryhibby
11-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Rodders told us all at the fan forum in the Hibs club that Hibs voted against the deal with ESPN due to the silly kick off times. So it cant be worth a lot of money to Hibs. Less TV games means more through the gate at ER

TV money has changed the face of football and probably irreversibly so. I would love to see the collapse of all the huge broadcasters (especially Murdoch´s organisation) and a return to the days when we had much less exposure to televised games.

Competitions like the Champions league have been so devalued in pursuit of cash and the novelty of seeing say Chelski V Barca has long since worn of for me.

Funny how the game managed to survive for so long without the loot on offer. Can´t help feeling that we would all be better of without.

Signed A. Luddite

lord bunberry
11-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Are you sure of that I find it hard to believe that from such a small overall total we get as much as that

Just Alf
11-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I have espn at the moment but if bt take it over I won't be paying for it its only because I get espn for free that stops me canceling it altogether. There is no way I will be shelling out my hard earned to watch rangers in the national league or whatever they will be calling it

:-)

funnily enough, the reason I'm still with ESPN is that I'm with BT and get it free as well!

Edit... not sure if it's still the same for new customers, used to be a tenner or something up front for the card

SMAXXA
11-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I spoke to Rod a couple of months ago and he said this to me, also said he wouldn't be surprised if ESPN didn't see out the season.

Winston Ingram
11-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I'd be willing to take the financial hit to have Craig Burley launched from any football coverage. Bring it on.

Couldn't agree more:agree:

Hibeesforever
11-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Broadcasting rights are c13 million quid. 48% of which are divided equally between 12 clubs and the rest determined by league finish. What that means for us, **** knows. I guess we would also need to balance it with how much we lose through the gate and the associated matchday revenue lost.

Anyway, isn´t this stuff all available for nothing on the internet?

So are you saying aprox. £500k + money for league placing, which could average about £500k if recent poor league form is used.

Aprox. £1 million would then need to be made up.
This would equal about 2,500 extra spectators each week that would be needed if an average of £20 per head was used and their were 20 home games.

How possible would another 2,500 spectators each week be ?
I would like to keep the TV deal and just increase the fan base.

Heedersnvolleys
11-01-2013, 10:32 PM
I really hope BT do sort something out with SPL and become a real competitor to sky. I believe the sky deal for the SPL is less than what they give to the super league for the rugby league. That just taking the p*ss

3pm
12-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Good!

HH81
12-01-2013, 07:47 AM
I really hope BT do sort something out with SPL and become a real competitor to sky. I believe the sky deal for the SPL is less than what they give to the super league for the rugby league. That just taking the p*ss

Super League is very good, shame we dont have viewing figures for each.

I'm sure sky see that a lot of SPL games are average to poor.

DavieRoy
12-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Good. Both ESPN and Sky can do one. Maybe then we could increase our attendances to average 14/15k per season.

Fans before TV.

In December, the games against Motherwell and Ross County were Saturday 3pm kick offs and Hibernian could get a crowd over 9,000. The games were not live on TV.

Most clubs were desparate for a TV deal to give them guarenteed income and exposure. Sponsorship deals are not worth as much if there is no live TV coverage.

TV kick off times can be frustrating but TV is an easy target for fans, there are other reasons for poor crowds and product.

DavieRoy
12-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Maybe one of the "council telly" channels will take it on. Wonder how much Beeb pay for Alba deal and if they would pay more when you look at the spend on England. Alternatively if STV/ITV will look for live football now that they have lost the FA Cup.

That would be worth even less money than they get now.

When games were on BBC crowds were low. BBC are making cutbacks galore anyway.

STV have even less money than BBC. ITV didn't even take Celtic in the Champions League group stage, they are not bothered.

People forget, Sky were willing to pay £100 million for SPL rights in 2008 and the clubs opted for Setanta, bad decision making (again) from club chairman.

If you are a painter and put a quote in for a job and they go for somebody else then that somebody else goes bust and they come with the begging bowl to you, as a business do you offer the same amount when there is no competition?

Keith_M
12-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Going against the grain a bit here but I for one don't want Scottish Football to get even less money from TV. Like it or not, we have to compete for players with clubs from other countries that get very large amounts of TV money.

Even if Hibs were in the highly unikely position of having a full house every week, with no TV money, we still couldn't compete on wages with the lower divisions in England.

What I would like to see is a more sensible TV deal, one that doesn't mess about the game times so much and also compensates the home team for each game shown.

.....oh and no Craig Burley, obviously :wink:

Sylar
12-01-2013, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't mind if ESPN disappeared TBH. Their package is poor value and they took over NASN and made that a subscription based channel.

My only hope is that if ESPN DO go down the tubes, that ESPN America isn't lost to the ether as it's a great channel for those of us who follow North American sports!

superfurryhibby
12-01-2013, 10:43 AM
So are you saying aprox. £500k + money for league placing, which could average about £500k if recent poor league form is used.

Aprox. £1 million would then need to be made up.
This would equal about 2,500 extra spectators each week that would be needed if an average of £20 per head was used and their were 20 home games.

How possible would another 2,500 spectators each week be ?
I would like to keep the TV deal and just increase the fan base.

In my next post I said I had no idea of how we would make up lost revenues and suggested increased attendance etc. What I would really like to see is less football on TV per se and the collapase of the whole money oriented nonsense that causes huge imbalances, like the fact that lower division English teams paying much more wages than SPL teams. Maybe then young Scottish talent would remain in the game up here?

THis may of course be a pipe dream, but sometimes the good old days were actually quite good. I´m sure many older posters here would agree that the European Cup was a much more interesting competition then the misnomer called the Champions League?