PDA

View Full Version : Can you get a pint at lower league English games?

hibby rae
10-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Can you? Going to Wimbledon v Wycombe on Saturday.

HH81
10-01-2013, 03:10 PM
I would think so. Beers in football ground usually taste awful so don't get your hopes up too much.

WindyMiller
10-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Went to see Bournemouth v Charlton a couple of years back, and was plenty surprised to see they served beer in the away stand.

_hucks_
10-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Just asked my Wimbledon supporting friend, she says 'There's two bars open before and after the game and usually half time too. Can't take anything into the stands/ terraces though.'

DarlingtonHibee
10-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes - when Darlo were in Division two last year, you could get a beer under the stands from a kiosk. Not sure now whatever league they are in !!:greengrin

green&left
10-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Course you can.

Scottish Football is the only entertainment industry you can't get a beer in.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-01-2013, 03:59 PM
So on a Saturday, you get drink from about 11:00 am until about 2:30 pm and leave half an hour to get to the game. After 4:45pm you can drink until the very early hours, if you like. But what really matters is that you can't drink for 90 minutes?

Why that is such a huge issue, I don't really know. Maybe next time I am in Robbies, I should ask the barman if we can have a game of football, and if not, why not??

Greendub
10-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't fancy getting covered in beer when a team scores

Holmesdale Hibs
10-01-2013, 04:14 PM
You can buy booze at Millwall games, which I guess means you can buy it anywhere else. It's normally warm, overpriced small bottles of Carlsberg and you have to drink them inside the stand.

DarlingtonHibee
10-01-2013, 04:15 PM
So on a Saturday, you get drink from about 11:00 am until about 2:30 pm and leave half an hour to get to the game. After 4:45pm you can drink until the very early hours, if you like. But what really matters is that you can't drink for 90 minutes?

Why that is such a huge issue, I don't really know. Maybe next time I am in Robbies, I should ask the barman if we can have a game of football, and if not, why not??

I think its called personal choice.

Sergey
10-01-2013, 04:22 PM

Funnily enough, I'm going to AFC Wimbledon the following week, but to watch Kingstonian in the Ryman Premier. Here's the thing...

...AFC Wimbledon play under the jurisdiction of the FA and no alcohol is allowed within the stadium during the match (they do have an excellent clubhouse under the main stand that is worth a pre-match visit). However, Kingstonian play under the rules of the Ithsmian League and drinking in the ground is openly accepted, as long as you take your drink into the ground in a plastic container, which the clubhouse are more than happy to supply you with. The only matches involving Ithsmian teams where you can't drink inside the ground are FA Cup matches....sponsored by Budweiser. Figure that one out!

jodjam
10-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Had a pint at Bournemouth v forest few years back. Couldn't have watched that mince without a pint

silverhibee
10-01-2013, 05:31 PM

Sure can, but just get bottles of beer.

SunshineOnLeith
10-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Went to kingsmeadow recently and there's a bar under the main stand open to all pre game, it's a good atmosphere, you can drunk outside, wander about a bit, kids playing football in the car park etc. At half time you can go out and get a drink, you can't take it back in with you though but it's a well run bar so there's time to get a pint and drink it without missing any of the game. Really good setup all round,I was very impressed.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-01-2013, 06:50 PM
I think its called personal choice.

You mean like posting your own opinion.....

spike220
10-01-2013, 10:49 PM
You mean like posting your own opinion.....

I know you can at MK Dons.

:fishin:

brog
11-01-2013, 10:44 AM
At Bromley you can sit in bar behind the goal, watch Jeff on SSN with the scores & occasionally watch the mince on the park through your pint - great stuff! Mind you I did see a very lardy Alan Brazil score a hat trick there for Wivenhoe & I swear he never moved out of the centre circle all game, different class!

bigwheel
11-01-2013, 10:55 AM
At Bromley you can sit in bar behind the goal, watch Jeff on SSN with the scores & occasionally watch the mince on the park through your pint - great stuff! Mind you I did see a very lardy Alan Brazil score a hat trick there for Wivenhoe & I swear he never moved out of the centre circle all game, different class!

Centre circle ? He must have had some shot on him that day 😃

hibby rae
11-01-2013, 11:20 AM

I rarely drink before the games. Why go to the pub at 11am? I'll probably just be out of bed at that time at the weekend!

hibby rae
11-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Cheers for all the info folks! It's the terracing I'm most looking forward to. Went to see Moenchengladbach play Dortmund a couple of seasons ago, tetracing and a pint. One of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at a game and ended up going for a few beers with some friendly Gladbach supporters after the game!

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-01-2013, 11:35 AM
You can buy booze at Millwall games, which I guess means you can buy it anywhere else.
Not in the away end at Millwall v West Ham you couldn't! ;-)

SunshineOnLeith
11-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Cheers for all the info folks! It's the terracing I'm most looking forward to. Went to see Moenchengladbach play Dortmund a couple of seasons ago, tetracing and a pint. One of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at a game and ended up going for a few beers with some friendly Gladbach supporters after the game!

If you want to get in the terracing behind the goals make sure you're there in plenty of time, place was rammed when we were there, as was the whole ground.

Gus
11-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Course you can.

Scottish Football is the only entertainment industry you can't get a beer in.

Not 2 terms commonly associated with. Could do with a drink watching some of the games

Craig_in_Prague
11-01-2013, 12:06 PM

Why not a beer whilst at the game itself - not everyone has all morning or all evening to go out drinking..

Here, we attend our local teams matches, maybe 1 pint before the game as we meet up... But a few beers (whilst standing) during the game, then home afterwards (ok, maybe 1 on the way back too sometimes)

Scotland is full of rules and IMHO goes out it's way to make things less enjoyable for the public.
It's true that people will always ruin things for the majority, but like most of europe, we should try and create a more chilled out approach to the bevy.

brog
11-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Centre circle ? He must have had some shot on him that day 
Well maybe a tad exaggerated but seriously he hardly moved, scored 3, all from 20 yards plus & hit bar with a 35 yard free kick. I had a drink with him in Canary Wharf a couple of years back & he claimed he was hungover throughout the game!

Hibernia Na Eir
11-01-2013, 07:00 PM
no booze at Carlisle.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-01-2013, 09:13 PM
no booze at Carlisle.

Why do you think I just remain in the fleshpots of Botchergate?

Northernhibby will probably be here to give me a sanctimonious lecture about the perils of binge drinking once his work is done on the Leigh thread.

monktonharp
11-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Cheers for all the info folks! It's the terracing I'm most looking forward to. Went to see Moenchengladbach play Dortmund a couple of seasons ago, tetracing and a pint. One of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at a game and ended up going for a few beers with some friendly Gladbach supporters after the game!was at the brentford v mk dons 4 weeks ago. great day out, standing on old terracing behind the goals. smoke out the back if you want and got pints out the back at half time, as long as we did not cross over a yellow line into the terracing area. good day all round.