PDA

View Full Version : Young players

shetlandhibee
09-01-2013, 11:38 PM
The youth that's coming into our first team hasn't been making an impression IMO. If you look at a couple of years ago when the likes of fletcher, riordan and brown were getting chances they were giving 100% each game they also had a touch of class and quality! Are our young players now just not as good? I'm sure they will develop but they just don't seem to have the grit, determination and quality as fletcher, riordan, brown and them had when they were the same age.

shetlandhibee
09-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Wat d u think?

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2013, 11:59 PM
I think it was more like 8 to 10 years ago, and yes the recent ones are not as good. :eek:

shetlandhibee
10-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I think it was more like 8 to 10 years ago, and yes the recent ones are not as good. :eek:
:greengrinYeh, doesn't seem like that long ago times fly's:greengrin

monktonharp
10-01-2013, 12:08 AM
it was defo more than a couple of years ago. as for the present young guns, there are a few on here that actually go and watch the 20's. maybe they will comment with a bit more knowledge of our players. also, we've had a fair few managerial changes over the last 3/4 years, and Ithink quite a few of our promising laddies have been allowed to slip the net. Kurtis Byrne never got a chance while Yogi had the reigns, and he'd played great throughout the season with the double winners that year.

MWHIBBIES
10-01-2013, 12:29 AM
No offence to Riordan, I don't want to start another debate about him and no doubt he was a class player during his time here but he rarely gave 100% IMO.

I think its a little harsh to single out some of these young guys, they haven't done anything spectacular but I thought Caldwell was fairly good when he started against Caly. Remember that Wotherspoon was also a youth product a few years back and he has been impressive this season. He was chucked in at the deep end because we had a poor right side under Hughes, the same cannot be said about our current strike force hence why Caldwell and Handling aren't playing every week.

beensaidbefore
10-01-2013, 12:36 AM
it was defo more than a couple of years ago. as for the present young guns, there are a few on here that actually go and watch the 20's. maybe they will comment with a bit more knowledge of our players. also, we've had a fair few managerial changes over the last 3/4 years, and Ithink quite a few of our promising laddies have been allowed to slip the net. Kurtis Byrne never got a chance while Yogi had the reigns, and he'd played great throughout the season with the double winners that year.

IIRC hes just been emptied from RC or Dundee...canny be all that.

monktonharp
10-01-2013, 12:41 AM
IIRC hes just been emptied from RC or Dundee...canny be all that.cant argue that point mate. nontheless he was given next to no chance of stepping up,when Yogi was bringing him on for 7 or 8 mins, while we were totally pish.

monktonharp
10-01-2013, 12:43 AM
IIRC hes just been emptied from RC or Dundee...canny be all that.two clubs that have humped us recently btw:wink:

danhibees1875
10-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Riordan, GOC, Fletch, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker were a good group of players who all came through at the same time.

No club can produce that sort of talent every year, it just doesn't work like that. I quite like the looks of Handling & Cladwell, and would like to see more of the other younger guys, like Stanton, when/if possible but right now we're not in the position to bleed through youngsters and perhaps this is stunting their development. Perhaps their has been a change in who scouts/trains the team when they are 14/15/16 y/o.

It'll happen again. :agree: Maybe 2013 is the year, maybe 2030. It probabaly doesn't help the lads that they are tagged with things such as 'he can be the next Riordan' etc.

1two
10-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Riordan, GOC, Fletch, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker were a good group of players who all came through at the same time.

No club can produce that sort of talent every year, it just doesn't work like that. I quite like the looks of Handling & Cladwell, and would like to see more of the other younger guys, like Stanton, when/if possible but right now we're not in the position to bleed through youngsters and perhaps this is stunting their development. Perhaps their has been a change in who scouts/trains the team when they are 14/15/16 y/o.

It'll happen again. :agree: Maybe 2013 is the year, maybe 2030. It probabaly doesn't help the lads that they are tagged with things such as 'he can be the next Riordan' etc.

Why doesn't Stanton get his chance? He seems to get praised both on here and through official streams. Is he still not ready or is he just being protected? He'll need to make the breakthrough soon before its too late

bruno
10-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Why doesn't Stanton get his chance? He seems to get praised both on here and through official streams. Is he still not ready or is he just being protected? He'll need to make the breakthrough soon before its too late

I agree good player. Think he's gone on loan, Cowdenbeath possibly?

Jpdhfc
10-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Maybe just that we don't have a reserve league anymore so the step up is so big

superfurryhibby
10-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Maybe just that we don't have a reserve league anymore so the step up is so big

There is definitely a case for reintroducing a reserve league.

Thinking back through my 40 odd years of supporting Hibs, canīt say we have ever seen a period like Brown, Riordan etc, in terms of young guys breaking through.

Whilst we have better facilities and a wider scouting network, no doubt other teams have increased their range in terms of unearthing talent too.

Where I see an enormous difference is that we no longer buy young emerging talent from lower divisions. It seems to be either youth development, journeymen pros or talents that have fallen by the wayside. I guess the differential between what we can pay and what lower league clubs in England can pay is a huge factor in that. Loads of guys that would probably have joined teams like Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc now go to directly down south.

gegs70
10-01-2013, 09:29 AM
We still have a number of young players in the team Hanlon, wotherspoon. Problem may well be the step up from under 19s to first team. When Bobby Williamson started bring the riordans, browns Whittakers through he had no choice as his budget was slashed. But we had a good 2-3 years where there wss a lot of inconsistant play from the youngsters. Perhaps they need really good experienced players to work alongside young players as a mentor. Maybe thats whats missing from the game as well as a good reserve league???

Golden Bear
10-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Introducing young players to the first team is a recurring theme. Other SPL teams (St Mirren, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, THEM, etc ) seem to have a fairly regular supply of players who break into their first team - why can't we?

Is it a case that our current generation of young players are just not good enough or are there other reasons why we rarely see a player under the age of 21 make the big break through at ER?

The continuing development and promotion of young players is absolutely essential for a club like Hibs but the football talent train seems to have well and truly ground to a halt for the time being. Let's hope it starts chugging again shortly.

MWHIBBIES
10-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Introducing young players to the first team is a recurring theme. Other SPL teams (St Mirren, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, THEM, etc ) seem to have a fairly regular supply of players who break into their first team - why can't we?

Is it a case that our current generation of young players are just not good enough or are there other reasons why we rarely see a player under the age of 21 make the big break through at ER?

The continuing development and promotion of young players is absolutely essential for a club like Hibs but the football talent train seems to have well and truly ground to a halt for the time being. Let's hope it starts chugging again shortly.Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher, Brown, Thomson, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Stevenson, Whittaker and Kenny Miller all fairly recently. Who have Hearts had that have come through and made a big impact? Berra, Gordon and Templeton who they signed when he was 17/18? Nothing compared to what we have had in the same period of time.

lord bunberry
10-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I quite like the look of handling he looks like he could be a guy to step up to the plate if needed and caldwell has looked ok in spells. What we have to remember is that when the golden generation were coming through we had a better team so it was easier for them to slot in and play their own game I get the feeling that when the two young lads are coming on its when we need to hold on to a lead or are desperate for a goal. If you look at handling when he came on at first park when we had a decent lead he looked a different player

Golden Bear
10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher, Brown, Thomson, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Stevenson, Whittaker and Kenny Miller all fairly recently. Who have Hearts had that have come through and made a big impact? Berra, Gordon and Templeton who they signed when he was 17/18? Nothing compared to what we have had in the same period of time.

I meant in the last two or three years. Of those mentioned, even Hanlon & Wotherspoon made their debuts further back than that.

Golden Bear
10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
I quite like the look of handling he looks like he could be a guy to step up to the plate if needed and caldwell has looked ok in spells. What we have to remember is that when the golden generation were coming through we had a better team so it was easier for them to slot in and play their own game I get the feeling that when the two young lads are coming on its when we need to hold on to a lead or are desperate for a goal. If you look at handling when he came on at first park when we had a decent lead he looked a different player

:agree:

Although I would like to see these guys in the starting line up now and again. Maybe that would take the pressure off them as it can't be easy coming on from the sub's bench and typically with only a short period of time to prove yourself.

lord bunberry
10-01-2013, 10:11 AM
:agree:

Although I would like to see these guys in the starting line up now and again. Maybe that would take the pressure off them as it can't be easy coming on from the sub's bench and typically with only a short period of time to prove yourself.

what would be good is if we could get ourselves into a comfortable lead then bring these guys on and let them do what they do in under 20 matches. What would also have been good is if we had managed to draw a minnow in the cup and given them a chance there

superfurryhibby
10-01-2013, 10:12 AM

The continuing development and promotion of young players is absolutely essential for a club like Hibs but the football talent train seems to have well and truly ground to a halt for the time being. Let's hope it starts chugging again shortly.

I donīt see any one team producing a genuine conveyor belt of talent. It comes and goes in cycles and we are no different in that respect from any of the others you named. Apart from the team of the Mowbray era (also containing young talent he signed from elsewhere)it hasnīt really been any different in the past forty years.

MWHIBBIES
10-01-2013, 10:21 AM
I meant in the last two or three years. Of those mentioned, even Hanlon & Wotherspoon made their debuts further back than that.Fair enough but to put it into perspective there are no players that have come through Barcelona's youth system in the last 3 years that are first team either :greengrin

Bighoose
10-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Of recent Managers, I think Pat may be more inclined to give youth a chance. He is getting quite a few out on loan and hopefully the ones that do well will be given a decent chance in the first team when they return.

It also helps to have a settled first team to introduce a youngster into and we certainly have not had a settled first team for the last few seasons.

staunchhibby
10-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Sam played well for Cowdenbeath last Saturday.Some nice touches.Hopefuly he will play against Hamilton on Saturday.

Billy
10-01-2013, 11:48 PM
A wee goal from our Under 20's a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhj9fwkeuszdqnj/Hibs%20goal%20v%20Ross%20County.mp4

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2013, 02:43 PM
What a cracking goal. :top marks

Houchy
12-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher, Brown, Thomson, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Stevenson, Whittaker and Kenny Miller all fairly recently. Who have Hearts had that have come through and made a big impact? Berra, Gordon and Templeton who they signed when he was 17/18? Nothing compared to what we have had in the same period of time.

I'm surprised that you're the first person to mention Stevenson. One of my favourite players but because he's been around so long without attracting any interest, people don't seem to remember that he's a player that's a product of our youth development.

Matty_Jack04
12-01-2013, 03:16 PM
I think a lot of people forget that when the 'golden generation broke through' it was more through necessity than the fact they where ready, bobby Williamson had little choice but to give them an opportunity and let's not forget the football and results lost him his job.
although it was clear they had talent the majority where very inconsistent and never really hit the heights until Mowbray arrived, there's no doubt the likes of boozy and jones helped bring them along but the fact they had managed to get so much game time and experience definitely made the managers job easier, it's time the young lads at the club at the moment just can't get as its so important to make top 6/stay in the league, a lot go out to various lower league clubs for experience but to be playing in the same team week in week out against the best teams in the country is a much better learning curve than being spread out over the country for 6months

hibbybrian
12-01-2013, 03:33 PM
What a cracking goal. :top marks

A tap in :greengrin

LaMotta
12-01-2013, 05:01 PM
A wee goal from our Under 20's a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhj9fwkeuszdqnj/Hibs%20goal%20v%20Ross%20County.mp4

where is that pitch??

oconnors_strip
12-01-2013, 06:58 PM
where is that pitch??

Spartans ground ainslie park

jdships
12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
There is definitely a case for reintroducing a reserve league.

Thinking back through my 40 odd years of supporting Hibs, canīt say we have ever seen a period like Brown, Riordan etc, in terms of young guys breaking through.

Whilst we have better facilities and a wider scouting network, no doubt other teams have increased their range in terms of unearthing talent too.

Where I see an enormous difference is that we no longer buy young emerging talent from lower divisions. It seems to be either youth development, journeymen pros or talents that have fallen by the wayside. I guess the differential between what we can pay and what lower league clubs in England can pay is a huge factor in that. Loads of guys that would probably have joined teams like Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc now go to directly down south.

Agree totally with both the quotes above
You are right on the money IMO :thumbsup: