PDA

View Full Version : Games on January 2nd

brog
09-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Younger netters ( or even fairly mature netters! ) won't remember but there used to always be a full fixture list on both Jan 1 & Jan 2. The games on the 2nd were my favourite of the season. They were always local derbies, Raith, Falkirk, East Fife etc, excellent crowds & a chance to relax a bit after the tension of the New Years Day game. I can remember Peter Marinello making his debut at Starks Park in a 2-2 draw, a tiny winger called Johnny Grant crawling through a Falkirk defender's legs to score at Brockville in a 4-1 win & most memorably a very hungover Willie Hamilton superbly conducting the orchestra in a 6-0 win over Falkirk at ER on 2/1/65, the day after Willie had scored the winner at PBS.
My memory may be faulty but I'm pretty sure Yams went about 12 or 13 seasons from mid 60's & only scored once on NYD & we won that game 3-1!! Mind you I think there were 5 consecutive 0-0 draws at one stage. I also remember us playing 3 games in 4 days & keeping a clean sheet in all 3, players now need a rest if there's 2 games in a week!! Anyway, just some happy recollections, hopefully some of the more mature netters can add to or correct my memory of events.

lapsedhibee
09-01-2013, 08:21 PM
I can remember Peter Marinello making his debut at Starks Park in a 2-2 draw, a tiny winger called Johnny Grant crawling through a Falkirk defender's legs to score at Brockville in a 4-1 win & most memorably a very hungover Willie Hamilton superbly conducting the orchestra in a 6-0 win over Falkirk at ER on 2/1/65, the day after Willie had scored the winner at PBS.

Think that must have been the day after he made his debut at ER against Hearts, because he only seemed to be around for a few months and then he disappeared. Why/where'd he go? :dunno:

hihohibby
09-01-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm pretty sure Yams went about 12 or 13 seasons from mid 60's & only scored once on NYD & we won that game 3-1!!

These are the sort of statistics the Jambos, especially the younger one's, conveniently choose to ignore and/or deride as irrelevant as it was so long ago..The sort of statistics that fly in the face of their Big Team/Wee Team argument...I am 55 and the memories of Hibs owning Hearts are still fresh in mind...no arrogant, selective memory, maroonster will take these away.

brog
09-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Think that must have been the day after he made his debut at ER against Hearts, because he only seemed to be around for a few months and then he disappeared. Why/where'd he go? :dunno:
You're quite correct, he played 13 games from NYD to April 64 & never played again! His only goal was the one vs Falkirk on the 2nd. Per. The excellent Hibs stats show he went to Ayr for a season then went to SA & played for Durban.

IberianHibernian
09-01-2013, 10:12 PM
I remember going to home match against Cowdenbeath on 2nd January ( I think ) just 24 hours after a goalless draw at Tynecastle . Probably 1971 as we always played at Tynie in odd years at new year then . 2 v 2 against Cowdenbeath - bad result but think we were losing by 2 . Seem to remember Blackley scoring with a penalty - maybe his first goal for us ? ( Except another penalty against Hearts in EOSS a few weeks before ? ) . In late 70s I remember us winning a home SC tie on a Sunday ( Meadowbank ? ) after losing at Parkhead in league on Saturday . Remember these things but hardly remember last week`s matches !