PDA

View Full Version : winter break timing. see latest weather forecasts/why have a shutdown? (Merged)

monktonharp
09-01-2013, 12:51 AM
just noticed today that this weekend could see the start of a 3 week period of serious bad weather when tempratures can plummet to as much as -20.below. added to that, we can expect high winds, plenty snaw and black ice. akin to the stuff we had 2 years ago. not looking good for a full programme of games going ahead soon.

Twiglet
09-01-2013, 01:17 AM
just noticed today that this weekend could see the start of a 3 week period of serious bad weather when tempratures can plummet to as much as -20.below. added to that, we can expect high winds, plenty snaw and black ice. akin to the stuff we had 2 years ago. not looking good for a full programme of games going ahead soon.

Someone on Facebook put a link to the scotsman article that said that which mentions met office warnings and temperatures dropping this weekend, but there's nothing on the met office website to say anything like that. I looked at another forecast website and their 25 day forecast doesn't mention anything as cold though it will get down to about 0°C. They do mention sleet/snow but it doesn't look as bad as the scotsman is saying.
It could suddenly turn though, we are in Scotland after all.

DaveF
09-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Did you read that in the Daily Express - They are forever forecasting gloom :greengrin

So far, this winter has been as cold as the summer just past. I'll believe the -20 when I see \ feel it.

monktonharp
09-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Did you read that in the Daily Express - They are forever forecasting gloom :greengrin

So far, this winter has been as cold as the summer just past. I'll believe the -20 when I see \ feel it.only posted this after reading a wee snippet in the EEN. quality paper. also heard that they are taking the word "gullible" out of the oxford dictionary, but we'll wait and see:greengrin

Alan62
09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I think the point here is that there's no point in having a winter break in Scotland. It's just daft. The weather can be horrendous in January, February, March or even April or it can be a balmy 12ºC with the sun shining all day long. In 2011, it rained every single day in June. Remember also that game at Easter Road a few years back in the Intertoto Cup when it poured with rain so hard that the pitch was flooded. If we hadn't been playing a fixture against a team that looked like they'd spent all their money getting to Edinburgh, that game would have been called off and we'd have been spared the ignominy of being pumped by a bunch of part timers. :wink:

So, forget the winter break. Waste of time. Just spoils the rhythm of the season.

SmashinGlass
09-01-2013, 02:07 PM
I think the point here is that there's no point in having a winter break in Scotland. It's just daft. The weather can be horrendous in January, February, March or even April or it can be a balmy 12ºC with the sun shining all day long. In 2011, it rained every single day in June. Remember also that game at Easter Road a few years back in the Intertoto Cup when it poured with rain so hard that the pitch was flooded. If we hadn't been playing a fixture against a team that looked like they'd spent all their money getting to Edinburgh, that game would have been called off and we'd have been spared the ignominy of being pumped by a bunch of part timers. :wink:

So, forget the winter break. Waste of time. Just spoils the rhythm of the season.

Remember that game well, we won it 5-0. It was against Dinaburg someone or other. I recall it well for 2 reasons, 1. Because I literally swam to the game and 2. Because I was at wedding reception that night straight from the game. Was there at the game suited and booted only for the clothes to be ruined by the weather :-(

Baldy Foghorn
09-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Remember that game well, we won it 5-0. It was against Dinaburg someone or other. I recall it well for 2 reasons, 1. Because I literally swam to the game and 2. Because I was at wedding reception that night straight from the game. Was there at the game suited and booted only for the clothes to be ruined by the weather :-(

Was Alan62 not referring to Vetra from Lithuania....They knocked us out the intertoto.....

IWasThere2016
09-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Summer football is the answer IMHO.

TheReg!
09-01-2013, 02:45 PM

It is TQM, going to football in the summer months is quality, cutting about with short sleeve tops on, sitting in a beer garden before and after etc. it will never happen but wouldn't it be great!

ScottB
09-01-2013, 02:51 PM

Quite possibly, but with the weather the last 2 summers we'd probably have had numerous games called off for waterlogged pitches!

Alan62
09-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Was Alan62 not referring to Vetra from Lithuania....They knocked us out the intertoto.....

I was indeed. Freak rain, pitch like a swamp, knocked out by a bunch of euro-minnows. By 5 o'clock the sun had come out but it was too late for us ...

Haggis Hibby
09-01-2013, 03:08 PM
re summer football.... it also comes down to us getting judged on european qualifcation.... starting a season in june and have dec jan off work work out better i think.... okok nyd game etc ect but freezing ur knacks off gets less appealing each winter....

marinello59
09-01-2013, 03:30 PM

Exactly.

Golden Bear
09-01-2013, 03:55 PM

And when exactly is summer?

The players and officials couldn't see because of the sun when we last played at Pittodrie - that would never happen in our so called summer!

:wink:

SmashinGlass
09-01-2013, 04:01 PM

Ah, never though of that one. It was largely uneventful from memory, other than the fact we got papped out

Haymaker
09-01-2013, 04:21 PM

It might be slightl warmer but it still rains all the bloody time. Summer football will do us no better than what we have.

hibsbollah
09-01-2013, 04:25 PM
It rains about twice as much in July in Edinburgh (80mm) as it does in February (40mm). Last year our heatwave was in March, i remember it was 23C.

Summer football sounds like a good idea, until you remember we dont actually have one.

Haymaker
09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
It rains about twice as much in July in Edinburgh (80mm) as it does in February (40mm). Last year our heatwave was in March, i remember it was 23C.

Summer football sounds like a good idea, until you remember we dont actually have one.

:agree: Fully agree.

Mr White
09-01-2013, 04:42 PM
How bad would Saturday afternoons/evenings be in November December and January with no football? I can just about put up with strictly come dancing and x factor at the moment but if I have to spend Saturdays going shopping rather than watching football before being exposed to that p1sh it would be twice as grim.

Golden Bear
09-01-2013, 04:44 PM

The official Hibs Net weather consultant has offered his words of wisdom.

:not worth

:greengrin

marinello59
09-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Wind? Frost? Snow? What are the comparision figures like for them? How well does the grass grow between games in Winter to keep the pitch in top condition to encourage passing fitba?
The odd game would be rained off...............but the games that are played would be much more enjoyable for fans and players alike.

Mr White
09-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Grass growth in winter would surely have to be a consideration before switching to summer football as pitches would only get a rest from play when grass growth is at its slowest rate. At least at the moment the grass gets June and July to recover properly with no play and more sunlight.

Golden Bear
09-01-2013, 04:59 PM
5 degrees is the minimum temperature for grass to grow. It's just a pity that it seems to rain regardless of the seasons these days.

Haymaker
09-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Wind? Frost? Snow? What are the comparision figures like for them? How well does the grass grow between games in Winter to keep the pitch in top condition to encourage passing fitba?
The odd game would be rained off...............but the games that are played would be much more enjoyable for fans and players alike.

Grass would struggle to grow under winter off conditions, lack of sunlight and the snow and frost.

Heavy rain over summer could see the pitch in a terrible condition for the run in to November season end.

There is no real solution IMO other than clubs working on their ground and ground staff. All of this will, of course, cost money that most can't or won't spend. Always bloody money. :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
09-01-2013, 05:06 PM

Actually the 80mm vs 40mm figures for July vs Feb is for precipitation, from the BBC, so includes sleet, rain AND snow. Grass starts growing at 6C, so for most of this winter the grass HAS been growing a bit, you'll notice if it hadnt been so wet your lawn would be needing cut by now.
The pitches are looking pretty good this winter IMO.

Youre clearly a fan of Chick Young's summer football revolution, but to me it wouldnt make much difference to the matchday experience because of our climate to justify the changes involved. And as a poster above said, i like the Christmas New Year programme of games which feels traditional and gets me out of the house and the kids and the TV.

marinello59
09-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Actually the 80mm vs 40mm figures for July vs Feb is for precipitation, from the BBC, so includes sleet, rain AND snow. Grass starts growing at 6C, so for most of this winter the grass HAS been growing a bit, you'll notice if it hadnt been so wet your lawn would be needing cut by now.
The pitches are looking pretty good this winter IMO.

Youre clearly a fan of Chick Young's summer football revolution, but to me it wouldnt make much difference to the matchday experience because of our climate to justify the changes involved. And as a poster above said, i like the Christmas New Year programme of games which feels traditional and gets me out of the house and the kids and the TV.

I will concede on the grass thing.....i really no nothing about it. :greengrin
Chick Youngs summer football revolution? Who cares what he thinks? Maybe if you describe summer football as that often enough the term could be used instead of actual debate. :wink:
I just think playing football in a Scottish winter is madness.Watching games in the freezing cold is a miserable experience for an adult, for kids it hardly encourages them to keep going. We even expect our kids to learn to play the game in weather you wouldn't send a Jambo out in. Throw in the chance for us to make our own wee TV niche and a straight 16/18 team league suddenly would make financial sense. Stuff tradition if it holds us back.

Hibbyradge
09-01-2013, 05:16 PM

So you would forsake the medal rounds in the summer for football, but you're not prepared to miss a winter bounce game? :na na:

I love the idea of summer football, but there would be so many alternatives for people.

Golf, holidays, outdoor stuff, beach volleyball (maybe) and other healthy things etc would all be a pull away from football so it would be a gamble regarding attendances.

Friday night football is the answer. Summer or winter. :agree:

Golden Bear
09-01-2013, 05:20 PM
So you would forsake the medal rounds in the summer for football, but you're not prepared to miss a winter bounce game? :na na:

I love the idea of summer football, but there would be so many alternatives for people.

Golf, holidays, outdoor stuff, beach volleyball (maybe) and other healthy things etc would all be a pull away from football so it would be a gamble regarding attendances.

:agree:

Although the Edinburgh polis might have something to say about your last sentence.

hibsbollah
09-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Chick Youngs summer football revolution? Who cares what he thinks? Maybe if you describe summer football as that often enough the term could be used instead of actual debate. :wink:
I just think playing football in a Scottish winter is madness.Watching games in the freezing cold is a miserable experience for an adult, for kids it hardly encourages them to keep going. We even expect our kids to learn to play the game in weather you wouldn't send a Jambo out in. Throw in the chance for us to make our own wee TV niche and a straight 16/18 team league suddenly would make financial sense. Stuff tradition if it holds us back.

I apologise for bundling you in with Chick, it was uncalled for :aok::greengrin

marinello59
09-01-2013, 05:22 PM

I like Friday night football although travelling would be akward for some games for those who work through the day. The weather conditions would still be more suited to hoofball than the modern game though.

Bristolhibby
09-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I was indeed. Freak rain, pitch like a swamp, knocked out by a bunch of euro-minnows. By 5 o'clock the sun had come out but it was too late for us ...

How many times were we popped out of the intertoto, due to us playing our first game in May?

Off the top if my head Vetra, Odense, Duisberg (Latvia?)

Any more?

Mr White
09-01-2013, 08:34 PM
How many times were we popped out of the intertoto, due to us playing our first game in May?

Any more?

Elfsborg when mixu was in charge?

ballengeich
09-01-2013, 08:46 PM
How bad would Saturday afternoons/evenings be in November December and January with no football? I can just about put up with strictly come dancing and x factor at the moment but if I have to spend Saturdays going shopping rather than watching football before being exposed to that p1sh it would be twice as grim.

That's my feeling too. In winter football is the thing to look forward to at the weekend. Once the days are longer and warmer I've got lots of other things to do so would probably watch fewer games.

Alfred E Newman
09-01-2013, 08:57 PM
re summer football.... it also comes down to us getting judged on european qualifcation.... starting a season in june and have dec jan off work work out better i think.... okok nyd game etc ect but freezing ur knacks off gets less appealing each winter....

So we will start in June, have December and January off . Start again in February and play until when, June ? What nonsense.

monktonharp
09-01-2013, 09:29 PM
lawn tiddlywinks is good in the summer, if the grass is cut short enough:rolleyes:

Spike Mandela
13-01-2013, 04:52 PM
So what is the SPL's logic behind this shutdown? A perfectly playable two weeks passes by without any games played and fixture dates lost that may be valuable should weather deteriorate causing fixture congestion.

Is it the clubs wishes to give players a rest, will teams benefit from the holiday or is momentum lost? What sort of effect will the gap in competitive games mean for Hibs, will it be a refreshed or lethargic Hibs that turn up for the Dundee game?

Personally I just don't see the point of it. If you are going to have a winter shutdown go the whole hog and shutdown for a month or two but two weeks, one weekend really serves no purpose.

J-C
13-01-2013, 05:49 PM
You cant predict weather unfortunately, also gives players a wee rest mid season and allows pitches to do a bit of recovering from any bad weather thre has been.

bingo70
13-01-2013, 06:07 PM
I think its been a great thing, the players have looked knackered the last few weeks so they'll have benefited from it and from a fans point of view its been great to have a couple weeks break after such an expensive time of year.

Zondervan
13-01-2013, 06:35 PM

You say a Scottsh winter? I have been to sell-out games in Germany, Holland & Engand in their winter season. Plenty of kids there enjoying themselves!

We seem to think we have the worst winter in Europe, but the conditions are consistently worse in other countries (i.e Germany) yet crowds are thriving.

You also have to take into account the fact that most families will take their main holiday in the summer months, potentially missing a couple of games by default that their s/t has paid for.

Summer football? No thanks!

Bishop Hibee
13-01-2013, 07:46 PM
The winter break is an absolute waste of time. In our safety conscious culture, rightly or wrongly, matches will be postponed due to 'difficulty' for fans getting to the stadiums or failing undersoil heating in the weeks not covered by the break. I was bored rigid with no Hibs or Scotland game on and the miserable weather. Summer football would be a disaster for ST sales so no chance of that happening.

I finally put the new curtain rail up that's been in the cupboard for months though :top marks :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
13-01-2013, 08:36 PM
The last two Saturdays have been perfect for playing football. Those that spout the usual summer football stuff at this time of year always talk about shirt sleeves and sunshine. They never accept the fact that even if we did change the season we would still have to play in either December or February. It takes 10 months to complete the season at the moment.
Let them tell us
1 what months do we play?
2 how would we switch keeping in mind we have to finish one season before starting another?
3 how would clubs get supporters to commit to season tickets given other summer commitments like holidays other summer sports and pastimes etc?
4 how would we fit in World Cups and European Championships etc
5 when would our cup final be played, December or November?

At the moment we kick off in the summer and finish in the summer. Change the season and we would kick off in the winter and finish in the winter. It's daft.

markom127
13-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Look on the bright side, its hotter for the last 2 games! (hopefully)

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Any more?

Sorry to be a pedant, but Odense beat us in the round after we had disposed of Dinaburg Daugavpils (Latvia).....Think that was our only success in the Intertoto.....:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2013, 08:42 PM
You say a Scottsh winter? I have been to sell-out games in Germany, Holland & Engand in their winter season. Plenty of kids there enjoying themselves!

We seem to think we have the worst winter in Europe, but the conditions are consistently worse in other countries (i.e Germany) yet crowds are thriving.

You also have to take into account the fact that most families will take their main holiday in the summer months, potentially missing a couple of games by default that their s/t has paid for.

Summer football? No thanks!

It's a No thanks from me too......

Summer is for Golf.

Autumn, Winter & Spring for the Football....

Been like this for as long as I can remember.....

jonty
13-01-2013, 08:48 PM

warm and wet is always better than cold and wet.

Unless we're talking drinks.

monktonharp
14-01-2013, 01:03 AM
I think its been a great thing, the players have looked knackered the last few weeks so they'll have benefited from it and from a fans point of view its been great to have a couple weeks break after such an expensive time of year.cant buy that, sorry. the players looked knackered because they have had to endure a couple of months turning up for work?.they work like dogs, all da.......sorry, they work all morning from 10am until 12.30.then have to suffer a shower,change of clothes, comb their hair, chat up the lassies in the office at east mains then head doon to the players canteen for a free meal all set by the club nutrician to make sure the goods on offer are top quality and the best on offer to keep them in prime condition. gies a brek!! I worked for 23 years doon the pit mate! these gadges are dain' a half shift, and lucky to be doing what any of us would love to do, certainly at that age!

Jones28
14-01-2013, 01:14 AM
I do see the point in a winter break, but what's the point of it being for 2 weeks? Why not a month instead? Mid-January to mid-February. Gives the pitches loads of time to recover, gives clubs 2 uninterrupted weeks to conduct transfer business and gives lg time to fornicate and develop the Hibs team of tomorrow!

cocopops1875
14-01-2013, 10:39 AM
cant buy that, sorry. the players looked knackered because they have had to endure a couple of months turning up for work?.they work like dogs, all da.......sorry, they work all morning from 10am until 12.30.then have to suffer a shower,change of clothes, comb their hair, chat up the lassies in the office at east mains then head doon to the players canteen for a free meal all set by the club nutrician to make sure the goods on offer are top quality and the best on offer to keep them in prime condition. gies a brek!! I worked for 23 years doon the pit mate! these gadges are dain' a half shift, and lucky to be doing what any of us would love to do, certainly at that age!
Don't get me wrong I'm not 100% agreeing with you, but it has to be mentioned that Fletcher played something daft like 3 years without a break, doesn't seem to of hampered him

JimBHibees
14-01-2013, 11:44 AM
It's a No thanks from me too......

Summer is for Golf.

Autumn, Winter & Spring for the Football....

Been like this for as long as I can remember.....

How about a season running from March to November say with a month break in July. Would likely to be better pitches at that time of the year and better conditions for fans to go to games.

Alfred E Newman
14-01-2013, 12:18 PM
How about a season running from March to November say with a month break in July. Would likely to be better pitches at that time of the year and better conditions for fans to go to games.

It takes almost 11 months to complete the fixtures at the moment. How are you going to fit it all in to 8 months?

Baldy Foghorn
14-01-2013, 08:22 PM

Still would not be happy Jim, I don't agree with summer football....Season currently runs from August (sometimes late July) to May.....2 months off.....If your proposal from March to November with July off was discussed, it would mean fulfilling all fixtures within 8 months, meaning more midweek fixtures, and a healthy backlog, if games were postponed.....

Also another factor to consider would be the Euros and the World Cup which are summer events......

monktonharp
18-01-2013, 08:44 PM

So far, this winter has been as cold as the summer just past. I'll believe the -20 when I see \ feel it. you were saying............:wink:

Alfred E Newman
18-01-2013, 09:48 PM
you were saying............:wink:

It's currently 0 degrees at the moment Doon the Borders :dunno:

monktonharp
18-01-2013, 11:31 PM
It's currently 0 degrees at the moment Doon the Borders :dunno:you travelling up the morn on a snowplough?:wink:

jgl07
18-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Well done the SPL.

They have timed the winter shutdown to perfection.

Close down for two perfectly mild (and even sunny) Satudays and then restart just as the snow has arrived.

Scotland has a maritime climate. It does not have a continental climate like Germany.