PDA

View Full Version : Question Who was the last Hibs Legend?

TheFamous1875
08-01-2013, 05:50 PM
With the departure of Ivan Sproule to pastures anew imminent, I've got thinking. Which player of recent times, if any worthy, could be classed as legendary? I see Ivan as a strong candidate for one of the last Hibs legends, for his Ibrox escapades and the League Cup victory, although I don't feel Kevin Thomson qualifies, as he left at a time when his career was on the cusp of flourishing, and never won any silver wear in the famous green and white ( a lot of that class are disputed because in my eyes their careers could have properly flourished if they stayed for another 2 or so years).

So how would youse tally up who's worthy, and who isnae?

bigwheel
08-01-2013, 06:07 PM
For me Franck Sauzee is our most recent genuine Hibs legend....I don't feel the likes of Fletcher, O'Connor etc albeit quality payers, did enough to warrant "legend" status .....

LancashireHibby
08-01-2013, 06:10 PM
For me Franck Sauzee is our most recent genuine Hibs legend....I don't feel the likes of Fletcher, O'Connor etc albeit quality payers, did enough to warrant "legend" status .....
This. Although maybe with the likes of Fletcher we didn't know what we had until he was gone?

hibsbollah
08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Sauzee and Latapy. Murphy very close too.

Golden Bear
08-01-2013, 06:14 PM
I wonder how we classify a Hibs legend?

Success on the park?, brilliant individual skills?, a true leader?, provider of memorable moment(s)? great service to the club? a mixture of all these things?

The only one true legend in my lifetime is none other than the great Pat Stanton.

JollyGreenGiant
08-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Derek Riordan :duck:

3pm
08-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Sauzee and Latapy. Murphy very close too.

Latapy would be a no for me based on the way it ended.

Elephant Stone
08-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Derek Riordan.

fat freddy
08-01-2013, 06:21 PM
With the departure of Ivan Sproule to pastures anew imminent, I've got thinking. Which player of recent times, if any worthy, could be classed as legendary? I see Ivan as a strong candidate for one of the last Hibs legends, for his Ibrox escapades and the League Cup victory, although I don't feel Kevin Thomson qualifies, as he left at a time when his career was on the cusp of flourishing, and never won any silver wear in the famous green and white ( a lot of that class are disputed because in my eyes their careers could have properly flourished if they stayed for another 2 or so years).

pre bosman, a legend was someone who played at a club for the majority of their career or had an affinity for the club and its fans and turned in brilliant performances while at the club....off the top of my head i would say legends of the recent old school would be players like Gordon Rae, Pat McGinlay, Mikey Weir, Steve Archibald, Gordon Hunter, Keith Wright, Alan Rough, Darren Jackson, Russel Latapy, Mixu, Rob Jones, Derek Riordan, Gary O'Connor..........ect ect...we've got loads of them

nowadays a legend can be defined by the mark they left on the club, how they related to the support and how the support related to them...in this instance it is undeniable that Ivan Sproule will always be a Hibs Legend

StevieT
08-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Sauzee and Latapy were classy players but in my opinion the last Legend was Pat Stanton. No player has come close since.

Pretty Boy
08-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Rob Jones for me.

We don't have too many cup winning captains so they all qualify as legends imo.

Hibercelona
08-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Franck Sauzee easily. The last player to leave Hibs that oozed class on and off the field.

basehibby
08-01-2013, 06:42 PM
I think Deeks qualifies for Hibees legendary status due to his 100 goals for the club allied to his abilities with a football. Unfortunately his abilities actually became legandary within his own career due to what seemed like a lack of application on his part, resulting in a steady decline - 100+ Hibs goals scored for the first time since Joe Baker back in the 60s/70s works for me on the legendary front though :thumbsup:

Ivan's hatrick at Ibrox is indeed the stuff of legend and it doesn't hurt that he wears his heart on his sleeve and it bleeds green! :thumbsup:

Sauzee and Latapy qualify in terms of their phenomenal ability although it's fair to say that Latas blotted his copy book somewhat by getting himself sacked and then joining the huns :boo hoo:

Other candidates would include Mixu - hatrick vs the Yams in the 6-2 followed by a stint as manager - and Johnny Collins - a favourite son who returned after a glittering career to help us to League Cup glory!

jodjam
08-01-2013, 06:44 PM
For me the league cup winners from 2007 are legends. As a club we don't win dozens of trophies so we have to enjoy the success when it comes along and praise those who bring it.

The older lads can name the 72 side with ease. The 91 team trips off the tongue ( we'll no mention Beaumont ) and we all know the 07 side. All legends for the joy they brought to Hibs fans

Jim_in_Canada
08-01-2013, 07:00 PM
For me it is only :

Gordon Smith
Joe Baker
Pat Stanton

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 07:05 PM
My last legend was Sauzee, some folk younger than me might not have even seen him, and someone from the 2007 cup winning side could be legends to them?

Ivan gave us a legendary performance at ibrox, a performance we will talk about for years, but a legend, not for me.

Having a legend is every fans right, we dont have to all agree on it.

hibsbollah
08-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Rob Jones for me.

We don't have too many cup winning captains so they all qualify as legends imo.

That would mean Murdo Macleod qualifies as a Hibs Legend as well. Not for me.

Interesting that to qualify as a Hearts Legend (Robbo, Medals Mackay) it's a requirement you win NO trophies:agree:

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Ivan Sproule.........Hibs Legend?????????????? I can't quite believe that any supporter actually classes him as a legend, each to their own I suppose but not for me, no chance.

johnbc70
08-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Frank Sauzee for me.

cocopops1875
08-01-2013, 07:24 PM
That would mean Murdo Macleod qualifies as a Hibs Legend as well. Not for me.

Interesting that to qualify as a Hearts Legend (Robbo, Medals Mackay) it's a requirement you win NO trophies:agree:

He is oot fur no passin the cup back :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Rod Petrie.

easty
08-01-2013, 07:45 PM
When I eventually have bairns and grandbairns and I'm reminiscing to them I'll probably tell them about Sauzee, Latapy and Deek. We've had a lot of good players and players I've liked but none others that I think I'll still be talking about in 50 years.

snooky
08-01-2013, 07:55 PM
For me it is only :

Gordon Smith
Joe Baker
Pat Stanton

I would agree plus add "Last Minute" to the three above.

Bottom line is - it depends on how each of us define "a Legend"
It's like the word "Hero". Is a hero someone who scores a crucial goal or someone who risks his life to save others? There's a BIG difference in the definitions.

HibeeN
08-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Ivan Sproule.........Hibs Legend?????????????? I can't quite believe that any supporter actually classes him as a legend, each to their own I suppose but not for me, no chance.

What about us younger fans? I only started going to games regularly after Sauzee's time, so can't really connect with him as a legend, even though I remember him. Sproule was the player that, as a fan, I instantly connected with and became a favourite player of mine, especially for the part he played in the two 3-0 games and the CIS Cup
Final. I always got the impression that he genuinely loved the club and gave his all every time he played. He's a player that always got me excited when he got the ball and part of a team that made going to Easter Road fun.

Agree with the poster that said that legends don't have to be the same for everyone. But Ivan Sproule is definitely one for me.

greenginger
08-01-2013, 08:07 PM
All depends on how a person classes a " Legend ".

To me it would be any player who there were numerous stories told about, ( they don't all have to be true :wink: ) and us Hibies can have a good crack about and remember good times at football matches.

hibsbollah
08-01-2013, 08:12 PM
All depends on how a person classes a " Legend ".

To me it would be any player who there were numerous stories told about, ( they don't all have to be true :wink: ) and us Hibies can have a good crack about and remember good times at football matches.

In that case, Konte has to be considered. 'Numerous stories' is an understatement there.

hihohibby
08-01-2013, 08:18 PM
For me, David Murphy is a wee legend. He simply oozed class and strolled his way through games. He was only at ER a short time, but enough time to make that attacking left back role his and to deliver yet another consistent shift when part of the 2007 cup winning team. He is the best left back I personally have seen since Erich Schaedler way back in the 70s. He loved his time at Hibs and always talked highly of our club. A proper gentleman off the field and inspiring performer and team mate on it. Yep..for me, a wee legend. Thank you, David.

HibeeN
08-01-2013, 08:19 PM
In that case, Konte has to be considered. 'Numerous stories' is an understatement there.

There is no doubt about Kuqi's legendary status!

HibeeSince85
08-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Sauzee. Nobody else comes close in my time supporting the club.

Hibrandenburg
08-01-2013, 08:28 PM
God and le God! Head and shoulders above all others since I've been watching Hibs. Best is in his own right a legend but questionable if he's a Hibs legend.

Stevo1875
08-01-2013, 08:35 PM
:sauzee:SAUZEE :sauzee:

.Sean.
08-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Sauzee

Jones
Murphy
Riordan

Holmesdale Hibs
08-01-2013, 08:46 PM
I agree with everyone saying Sauzee and probably Riordan.

Scott Brown is also worth a mention as he was the best player in the cup winning side. Murphy - maybe, Murray - probably not because of the way he left.

Going further back, Keith Wright, Gordon Hunter and Micky Weir but it all depends on your definition of 'legend'.

jdships
08-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Franck Sauzee easily. The last player to leave Hibs that oozed class on and off the field.

:top marks
By a 'Country Mile' :aok:
No one since has even got near being a ' true Legend' ( whatever that is :greengrin:wink:)

lord bunberry
08-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Deeks for me but if brown thompson whitty and fletch had stayed around longer they would have become club legends

Fergus52
08-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Sauzee, Latapy, Yogi etc were just before I was going to games regularly and old enough to understand football properly,

So mine would probably be Jones and Boozy.

Bostonhibby
08-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Joe Baker & Pat Stanton for me, by a country mile, for what they did on and off the pitch for Hibs.

George Best is a legend who played for Hibs but acquired his legendary status elsewhere long before he joined us. Sauzee was a class act to watch and certainly deserves our enduring respect, along with many many others some of whom have been highlighted above. Gordon Rae and Erich Schaedler were "Hibs men".

JollyGreenGiant
08-01-2013, 09:42 PM
John Collins?

Smiggy 7-0
08-01-2013, 09:49 PM
For me it is only :

Gordon Smith
Joe Baker
Pat Stanton

Have to agree mate, although never saw SMITH play, can only go what my dad told me.

BAKER still had it even in his second spell. Will always remember his goal against Aberdeen in his first game back - my first match at Easter Road.

STANTON had it all.

Would also add LAWRIE REILLY - still serving our club

Closest to these has to be SAUZEE.

Geo_1875
08-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Have to agree mate, although never saw SMITH play, can only go what my dad told me.

BAKER still had it even in his second spell. Will always remember his goal against Aberdeen in his first game back - my first match at Easter Road.

STANTON had it all.

Would also add LAWRIE REILLY - still serving our club

Closest to these has to be SAUZEE.

Have to agree with you.

Although I don't think Le God is entitled to Legend status due to the relatively short time he was with the club.

Yes, he was a hero to most Hibs fans, and undoubtably the best player I've seen in Scottish Football for many years but not quite a Legend.

PatHead
08-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Can't believe the lack of proposals for Eddie Turnbull. Both as a player and multi Cup winning manager who served Hibs right up to his death.

Eyrie
08-01-2013, 10:46 PM
All depends on your definition of "legend".

To me it is someone whose deeds would be easily recalled in twenty years time, so Riordan would be the most recent and before him Sauzee and Latapy.

Hibrandenburg
08-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Can't believe the lack of proposals for Eddie Turnbull. Both as a player and multi Cup winning manager who served Hibs right up to his death.

Think you might find that the majority of folks who were lucky enough to watch him play and therefore likely to nominate him are either on the other side or are eating oatmeal through a straw in the Jolly Geriatric residence for the agedly challenged.

Good call though!

Hibernia&Alba
08-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Not one mention for Calderwood. I can't believe it.

It's Deeks. The most exciting talent of the last ten years, and it could have been even better.

shetlandhibee
08-01-2013, 11:55 PM
From the ones in my lifetime:

Latapy
le god
deeko
boozy
Rob Jones

Russell The Dug
09-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Sauzee there won't ever be another Sauzee.

Sir David Gray
09-01-2013, 12:28 AM
The cup winning side from 2007 has to qualify. As someone has already said, we don't win many trophies as a club so when we do we need to remember the players who were in those sides.

I think Derek Riordan needs to be given a mention as well. Although he wasn't part of the 2007 cup side, I think his performances for Hibs over many years, particularly in his first spell with the club and the amount of goals he scored for the club gives him the right to be considered a club legend.

Other people may argue with that but there's not too many people who have scored 100+ goals for Hibs over the years.

Leishy1995
09-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Latapy and Sauzee.

Scott Brown could have done it if he hadn't wanted to further his career by leaving. Fletch would have done it.

I'm 17 and still remember Sauzee headering the back of the yams head losing his teeth and celebrating. The millennium derby, unless I've just described, was also fantastic.

Latapy was a legend as he was my favourite player as a young lad. My player to grow up and play like. The 6-2 game, he made 5 goals IMO. Away to watch it on youtube again.

Sproule? Nope, Deeks? Nah, was a great player but I always felt let down by him.

Russell The Dug
09-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Latapy and Sauzee.

Scott Brown could have done it if he hadn't wanted to further his career by leaving. Fletch would have done it.

I'm 17 and still remember Sauzee headering the back of the yams head losing his teeth and celebrating. The millennium derby, unless I've just described, was also fantastic.

Latapy was a legend as he was my favourite player as a young lad. My player to grow up and play like. The 6-2 game, he made 5 goals IMO. Away to watch it on youtube again.

Sproule? Nope, Deeks? Nah, was a great player but I always felt let down by him.

Sauzees header was at Easter road the millennium derby was at Tynie dec 19 1999 best match ever.

Squealing pig
09-01-2013, 12:38 AM
SauZee yogi riordan

Teuchter Hibbie
09-01-2013, 02:10 AM
I would agree plus add "Last Minute" to the three above.

Bottom line is - it depends on how each of us define "a Legend"
It's like the word "Hero". Is a hero someone who scores a crucial goal or someone who risks his life to save others? There's a BIG difference in the definitions.

No Turnbull?

Steve20
09-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Sauzee and Latapy.

Killiehibbie
09-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Pat Stanton. Derek Riordan almost makes it .

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Derek Riordan :duck:

Nae need for the smiley IMHO, yours is a perfectly reasonable post.

easty
09-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Nae need for the smiley IMHO, yours is a perfectly reasonable post.

:agree:

The number of goals he scored and the quality of goals he scored means we'll still be talking about him in 50 years.

hibbydog
09-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Franck sauzee for me.

Oozed class and didn't run about like a dafty. Didn't need to.

Strutted about the pitch dictating play with cigar in hand

basehibby
09-01-2013, 11:44 AM

But the thread title is "Who was the LAST Hibs legend?" ET was a Hibs legend long before many of us were born!

PatHead
09-01-2013, 12:04 PM
But the thread title is "Who was the LAST Hibs legend?" ET was a Hibs legend long before many of us were born!

There are lots of posters who have gone back some time and named a few. I was just noticing how few mentioned ET.

Might as well throw Mick Whelahan in as well because if he hadn't started things we wouldn't be having this conversation. He was even before Jonny's time!

Speedway
09-01-2013, 01:18 PM
A 'legend' is something that you tell future generations about to impress, inspire or educate them. Generally many are compelled to keep the memory of a legend alive, such was their cultural impact on one's community.

So -

European cup winner signs for Hibs whilst in the 1st division is impressive and makes the Sauzee story a legend

The Famous Five working together as a forward line and winning championships is inspirational and there they are legends

Joe Tortolano showed how not to play the left back position and that is educational so Joe is a legend.

On that basis of impressive and education then, the two most recent legends would be Derek Riordan and Oumar Konde.

Judas Iscariot
09-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Derek Riordan

silverhibee
09-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Latapy and Sauzee.

And you never felt let down with Latapy and his antics before the cup final, out drinking with his mate.

Derek Riordan. 104 goals for Hibernian FC. Legend. And you felt let down by him. :aok:

Frazerbob
09-01-2013, 01:46 PM
SauZee yogi riordan

Yogi? You at the wind up?

KeithTheHibby
09-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Playing for a club a couple of years doesn't make someone a legend in my eyes.

Guys like Sauzee, Latapy, Deeks etc. were brilliant for us but not legends IMO. Not around the club long enough for a start.

Guys like Pat Stanton, Lawrie Reilly and Zibi are more worthy of being called legends.

KeithTheHibby
09-01-2013, 01:56 PM
A lot of people saying Sauzee, fair enough. In my top 5 of players I have seen in 30 years but not a legend.

In all honesty I have been disappointed in Sauzee in recent years. He has never set foot back inside ER since being sacked despite being asked numerous times. He also wasn't interested in his book written by Ted Brack who has nothing to do with the club.

Playing for a club for a couple of years doesn't give you legend status.

JustSimplyHibs
09-01-2013, 01:58 PM

sproule a legend :confused:, the guy is a one trick pony - pace, that is it, now it gone, he is nothing - hence why he doesn't play no more!

For me a legend is someone who is the complete package in the position they are assigned to and a stand out in the country they ply their trade in. If Deegan sticks around for a few more years after his contract runs out, that will be a legend in the making.

There are a number of players whom were really good for Hibs in recent years, Fletcher, Brown, Thomson, Murphy to name a few, however, would never class them as legends because they ain't done nothing that sets them above everyone else in the league. Now Latapy and Sauzee were a class above the rest in the league.

Messi is a legend, Ronaldo is a legend, that German midfielder (Swine something) is a legend, because they are stand outs in the league they play in and consistently play at the same intensity week in week out.

it'll be a sad day if someone like Sproule ends up in Hibs hall of fame all because of a game that people remember.

Geo_1875
09-01-2013, 02:17 PM
sproule a legend :confused:, the guy is a one trick pony - pace, that is it, now it gone, he is nothing - hence why he doesn't play no more!

For me a legend is someone who is the complete package in the position they are assigned to and a stand out in the country they ply their trade in. If Deegan sticks around for a few more years after his contract runs out, that will be a legend in the making.

iThere are a number of players whom were really good for Hibs in recent years, Fletcher, Brown, Thomson, Murphy to name a few, however, would never class them as legends because they ain't done nothing that sets them above everyone else in the league. Now Latapy and Sauzee were a class above the rest in the league.

Messi is a legend, Ronaldo is a legend, that German midfielder (Swine something) is a legend, because they are stand outs in the league they play in and consistently play at the same intensity week in week out.

it'll be a sad day if someone like Sproule ends up in Hibs hall of fame all because of a game that people remember.

I'm almost certain that to qualify as a legend people must be able to remember your name :)

silverhibee
09-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Playing for a club a couple of years doesn't make someone a legend in my eyes.

Guys like Sauzee, Latapy, Deeks etc. were brilliant for us but not legends IMO. Not around the club long enough for a start.

Guys like Pat Stanton, Lawrie Reilly and Zibi are more worthy of being called legends.

You do know that Deek came through the youth system at Hibs from an early age, he then signed a 2 year deal when he was 16 and then went on to sign a 5 year deal at Hibs, where he moved on after that then resigned for the club and signed a 3 year deal which he seen out, that's 10 years as a pro footballer at Hibs, not a couple as you say. :aok:

How long was Zibby at the club, and a legend, that's a whoosh aye.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2013, 03:20 PM
You do know that Deek came through the youth system at Hibs from an early age, he then signed a 2 year deal when he was 16 and then went on to sign a 5 year deal at Hibs, where he moved on after that then resigned for the club and signed a 3 year deal which he seen out, that's 10 years as a pro footballer at Hibs, not a couple as you say. :aok:

I wonder when the club will announce Dereks testimonial SH, they were handing them out recently for 10 years broken service? :wink:

Someone who contributed as much as he did over the years, surely deserves a testimonial? :greengrin

--------
09-01-2013, 03:30 PM
For me it is only :

Gordon Smith
Joe Baker
Pat Stanton

:top marks

silverhibee
09-01-2013, 03:58 PM
I wonder when the club will announce Dereks testimonial SH, they were handing them out recently for 10 years broken service? :wink:

Someone who contributed as much as he did over the years, surely deserves a testimonial? :greengrin

I was going to mention that BH, :greengrin

Get it sorted Petrie. :grr: :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2013, 04:08 PM
I was going to mention that BH, :greengrin

Get it sorted Petrie. :grr: :greengrin

I might be wrong, but i feel Derek has more chance of biting his own erse than getting a testimonial? :greengrin 100 and odd goals obviously not good enough, plus he left us for one of the bigots.

The transfer fee we got was terrible too, maybe he'd have got one if we'd received nothing when he left? :wink:

Boydyhfc
09-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Le God.

Would love to have seen Pat Stanton play though, my dads hero.

silverhibee
09-01-2013, 04:27 PM
I might be wrong, but i feel Derek has more chance of biting his own erse than getting a testimonial? :greengrin 100 and odd goals obviously not good enough, plus he left us for one of the bigots.

The transfer fee we got was terrible too, maybe he'd have got one if we'd received nothing when he left? :wink:

:faf:

Your a bad correct man BH. :greengrin

Maybe Deek should have got injured before he left and got Hibs to get him back to fitness, that may have swung it, then left. :wink: :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
09-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Legends since WW2 are the Famous Five, Joe Baker, Pat Stanton and Franck Sauzee. Plenty Hibs Greats though.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2013, 04:41 PM
:faf:

Your a bad correct man BH. :greengrin

Maybe Deek should have got injured before he left and got Hibs to get him back to fitness, that may have swung it, then left. :wink: :greengrin

Dont be daft, thats just taking the pish.

Smiggy 7-0
09-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Have to agree with you.

Although I don't think Le God is entitled to Legend status due to the relatively short time he was with the club.

Yes, he was a hero to most Hibs fans, and undoubtably the best player I've seen in Scottish Football for many years but not quite a Legend.

Defo agree, there is a difference between HEROES (Riordan etc.) and LEGENDS (Baker, Stanton etc.)

Bostonhibby
09-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Not one mention for Calderwood. I can't believe it.

It's Deeks. The most exciting talent of the last ten years, and it could have been even better.

:agree: Fair play, at the top end of every leg I have ever seen is a Calderwood, maybe we could get the latin redefined and the doctors to call an Anus, or arse, what it actually is, a Calderwood............. Leg end in his own life time.

wick hibby
09-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Pat Stanton 100%

silverhibee
09-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Dont be daft, thats just taking the pish.

Where are the two fingers salute smiley when you need them. :wink: :greengrin

And F*** Hector. :wink: :greengrin

KeithTheHibby
09-01-2013, 06:44 PM
You do know that Deek came through the youth systeŵm at Hibs from an early age, he then signed a 2 year deal when he was 16 and then went on to sign a 5 year deal at Hibs, where he moved on after that then resigned for the club and signed a 3 year deal which he seen out, that's 10 years as a pro footballer at Hibs, not a couple as you say. :aok:

Ok will give you Deek but he doesn't come close to the guys like Stanton and the famous five. Zibi was tongue in cheek...mibbe:wink:

ancient hibee
09-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Zibi is a legend. Well I'll certainly never forget him.

Pete
09-01-2013, 06:57 PM
John Collins?

Good shout. Excellent player and trophy winning manager. That walk around at the end of the final...you cant buy that kind of class!

Paisley Hibby
09-01-2013, 07:05 PM
What about us younger fans? I only started going to games regularly after Sauzee's time, so can't really connect with him as a legend, even though I remember him. Sproule was the player that, as a fan, I instantly connected with and became a favourite player of mine, especially for the part he played in the two 3-0 games and the CIS Cup
Final. I always got the impression that he genuinely loved the club and gave his all every time he played. He's a player that always got me excited when he got the ball and part of a team that made going to Easter Road fun.

Agree with the poster that said that legends don't have to be the same for everyone. But Ivan Sproule is definitely one for me.

I'm an older fan but I agree with you. I'd say scoring a hat trick for Hibs at Ibrox automatically makes you a legend.

LaMotta
09-01-2013, 07:18 PM

There are a number of players whom were really good for Hibs in recent years, Fletcher, Brown, Thomson, Murphy to name a few, however, would never class them as legends because they ain't done nothing that sets them above everyone else in the league. Now Latapy and Sauzee were a class above the rest in the league.

So someone cant be a legend because he currently cant do what he used to do on the pitch? That probably rules out Stanton, Sauzee and certainly rules out Joe Baker and Lawrie Reilly.

Its a sad day when when you think that Gary Deegan has the potential to be a Hibs legend, shortly before ruling out Fletcher and Brown.

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm an older fan but I agree with you. I'd say scoring a hat trick for Hibs at Ibrox automatically makes you a legend.

The criteria for a legend has dropped dramatically then!

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2013, 07:57 PM

That's a legendary hook you're dangling!

neilmartinrocks
09-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Le God, Latapay, Murphy and Deek (imho)

edinburghhibee
10-01-2013, 06:06 PM
For me, in my time it's got to be sauzee, latapy and deeks. I know some people on here won't agree with the deeks choice but that wee man scored over 100 goals for this club yes he had his weaknesses but ill be surprised if we ever get a player who we can hold onto long enough to score that amount again.

Frank and Russell need no introduction I would assume.

Paisley Hibby
10-01-2013, 06:56 PM

As other posters have said, it all depends on how you define "legend". For me they are not necessarily the most gifted ex players but rather the ones we regularly talk about, like to remember and who, as players, showed a real passion for Hibs - mind you, I suppose Benny Brazil and Joe Tortolano would qualify under those criteria :greengrin

cocteautwin
11-01-2013, 02:47 AM
A 'legend' is something that you tell future generations about to impress, inspire or educate them. Generally many are compelled to keep the memory of a legend alive, such was their cultural impact on one's community.

So -

European cup winner signs for Hibs whilst in the 1st division is impressive and makes the Sauzee story a legend

The Famous Five working together as a forward line and winning championships is inspirational and there they are legends

Joe Tortolano showed how not to play the left back position and that is educational so Joe is a legend.

On that basis of impressive and education then, the two most recent legends would be Derek Riordan and Oumar Konde.

Albert Kidd then! Lets never let that memory die.

I was away from Scotland before Sauzee came and the internet was in it's infancy so never really caught on to the Sauzee thing. I know this might get a few pelters but it does make me cringe every time someone starts a "Where is he now thread" on Sauzee.

Deeks would possibly be the last one for me. Came through the ranks as a youngster.

JohnStephens91
11-01-2013, 04:20 AM
In my lifetime:

Derek Riordan - scoring over 100 goals for Hibs is more than enough in my book. Yes his career has taken a really bad turn, but to score that amount of goals for us is fantastic. He came through the ranks as well which adds more to his story and his love of the Hibees.

John Collins - cup winning manager, we've only had two of those in my lifetime with Miller being the other. In 2007 I was there and you could see how much the win meant to him when he was walking around the pitch taking it all in. He also played at the club for 6 years I believe before I was born and I've been told by my dad that he was a great player.

Franck Sauzee - European Cup Winner and French internationalist supremo joins one of the biggest Scottish clubs which has unceremoniously fallen from grace in the second tier of Scottish football and loses his teeth to score against the Yams and helps lead us to a Scottish Cup final and helps the club regain a great sense of pride and captained us in Europe in the process. Obviously his managerial spell wasn't as good and he is disconnected from the club now, but when I have kids Sauzee will be one of the players I tell them about.

Ivan Sproule - He is possibly going to be the one that divides opinion, he was not the most talented of footballers but to make the step-up from amateur football to professional football and score a hat-trick at Ibrox is phenomenal. Add into that his performance as a sub in the 'unbeatables' derby, the 3-0 cup win at Ibrox, his goal at Celtic Park and winning the league cup have all been stand-outs for us as a support and undoubtedly for himself to. But the main thing which has driven him into legendary status for me is the fact that he would always have time to spend with the supporters and was a very humble guy and not many supporters have had a bad word to say about him, he loved the club and evidently loved the fans and he probably still does.

Honourable mentions go to: Mixu Paatelainen and Russell Latapy.

paul_hfc3
11-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Scott Brown deserves a mention. Best player as a young lad I've ever seen wearing a hibs top. Fantastic player, plus he won League Cup with us which is an added bonus.

PatHead
11-01-2013, 04:23 PM
If Riordan is included for his 100 goals then Niall Martin has to join the club for that and his hatrick a Celtic Park (don't think anyone has done that since)

hibby rae
11-01-2013, 04:51 PM
The last one would have to be Ivan for me. Not just for what he did at Ibrox but also for what he is like off of the pitch eg. the post on the farewell thread to him describing what he did for that wee boy who had lost his dad. My mate used to work for the club and he said Ivan's the most grounded nicest guy you could meet, he said he would sign autographs for the kids all day long until told to stop at the end of games. The guy's got class and I for one will aways be grateful for what he did for the club.

neilmartinrocks
11-01-2013, 04:53 PM
If Riordan is included for his 100 goals then Niall Martin has to join the club for that and his hatrick a Celtic Park (don't think anyone has done that since)

Neil Martin Rocks
Legend an a gentleman never seen him play but met him a couple of times at functions.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hibrandenburg
11-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Hey, in a day and age where the only thing standing between you and musical stardom is a panel of 3 self appointed gurus, then is it any wonder?

PatHead
11-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Neil Martin Rocks
Legend an a gentleman never seen him play but met him a couple of times at functions.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Might have guessed you would agree! He is a gentleman without doubt.

proud_and_green
12-01-2013, 09:21 AM
The one person who hasn't been mentioned yet who i think is most deserving of First Class Legendary Status is Kenny MacLean. His contribution is significantly more than many/most of the on field legends mentiond so far.

This whole debate is a classic case of Forum Opinions and long may that remain the case.

The truth is that there will always be a difference of opinion about the level of legendary status and who should be accorded it. Many orders of chivalry have different classes within them. And in Germany they awarded three classes of Iron Cross.

Perhaps if there is a Legends Award for Hibernian FC that could be broken down into three Classes. So for example people like Kenny MacLean, Pat Stanton, Lawrie Reilly etc would be in the first Class, then coming down the levels you would have others such as Rob Jones, Frank Sauzee.