PDA

View Full Version : Best league in the world?

spike220
08-01-2013, 08:38 AM
For those who are sick of hearing about how great the EPL is I though this was interesting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2258586/Best-league-world-FIFA-announce-World-XI-NO-Premier-League-stars-make-cut.html

PatHead
08-01-2013, 11:30 AM
I do think the EPL is overhyped but I would think there must be players in there (Kompany last season?) or the German league (can't spell BUndesthingy) who should be sniffing about the team. The team is pretty much made up of Real/Barca players and neither of them won Champions league or have performed too well in this year's Champions League. Before anyone shoots me down I know Spain won the Euros last year.

It kind of lessens the award by keeping it so tight.

Ross4356
08-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Who votes for it?

Cabbage East
08-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Best league in the world my erse. Why, because SKy Sports says so? They're marketing a product, of course they'll say that. I'd rather watch Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A any day of the week thanks.

TheEastTerrace
08-01-2013, 12:36 PM
What's the criteria? Excitement? Technical ability? Attendances? Competitive balance? Revenues? Facilities? Club stability? Player development? National team success?

I would say that there is no top league. They all have their pros and cons.

bingo70
08-01-2013, 12:47 PM
What's the criteria? Excitement? Technical ability? Attendances? Competitive balance? Revenues? Facilities? Club stability? Player development? National team success?

I'd say the Germans are probably op or near the top in all of the questions you've asked there

Craig_HFC
08-01-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm sure it's voted for by players.

CB_NO3
08-01-2013, 12:49 PM
For those who are sick of hearing about how great the EPL is I though this was interesting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2258586/Best-league-world-FIFA-announce-World-XI-NO-Premier-League-stars-make-cut.html

The EPL is better to watch IMO. La Liga is technically better yes but not as exciting. Stadiums are empty, atmosphere is poor. The EPL offers so many big games with full stadiums and so on. I must admit though, give me Bundesliga anytime over the EPL and La Liga.

https://twitter.com/FootballFunnys/status/288615733150244864/photo/1

Sylar
08-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Such a vague argument - as pointed out, what is the criteria?

Financial revenue? Attendance/Atmosphere? Skill? Player quality? Excitement for supporters?

The Premiership is a good league and has coughed up some superb games over the years. There are a wealth of quality players and it probably has greater financial revenue and higher attendances than many other leagues across Europe.

However, it's no longer the case that the elite players of world football ply their trade en masse in the Premiership. Having said that, just because there's a concentration of these superstars in 2 clubs in Spain doesn't therefore qualify La Liga to be the best. Players across La Liga are perhaps more technically capable than say players at the lower end of the Premiership but that doesn't stand for much either.

I used to be a huge advocate of La Liga but have gone off it over time. It's merely a better quality version of the pre-2012/13 SPL, whereby 2 bitter rivals divided by politics/religion dominate financially and the other clubs accept their windfalls and fight it out for the remaining scraps.

Serie A is enjoyable to watch but Italian Football has a long way to go to recover the shady reputation it's built up over the years.

I'd have to agree with those advocating the Bundesliga. Although Bayern and Dortmund do still have a bit of a stranglehold, there have been different winners over the years, the atmosphere at games is electric and it's a very technically developed league with a myriad of promising and skillful players.

Cocaine&Caviar
08-01-2013, 01:14 PM
I for one am more interested by the sheer idiocy of the world XI chosen tbh.

Casillas - great player, but not based on the last 12 months. Shouldve been Neur, or possibly Hart.

Dani Alves - another great player, but not on the last 12 months, hes behind Adriano in the team at the minute for a start. Shouldve been Lahm.
Pique - absolute joke selection, has had a very average 12 months, shouldve been Kompany
Ramos
Marcelo - rediculous, good attacking player yes, but wouldnt have him top 5 in world tbh, shouldve been Cole based on the CL performances

Falcao/RvP is a tough one, but I wouldve gone for RvP
No Toure or Bale is also extremely questionable.

If it was based on the last 12 months, and not on reputation or El Classico bias, it would have been a VERY different team.

How did Madrid and Barcelona get on in the Champions League last year? Exactly...

joe_hfc
08-01-2013, 01:34 PM

Can't the sum of the pros and cons of on league out-weigh another?

The criteria is a mix of talent and excitement. For me, the EPL wins. Awesome talent and anything can happen. Spain has amazing talent but is generally predictable at the top, and Italy isn't always predictable but the clubs are crap! Germany 2nd best for me!

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2013, 02:00 PM
EPL is the best league in the world.

hibbysam
08-01-2013, 02:03 PM
I for one am more interested by the sheer idiocy of the world XI chosen tbh.

Casillas - great player, but not based on the last 12 months. Shouldve been Neur, or possibly Hart.

Dani Alves - another great player, but not on the last 12 months, hes behind Adriano in the team at the minute for a start. Shouldve been Lahm.
Pique - absolute joke selection, has had a very average 12 months, shouldve been Kompany
Ramos
Marcelo - rediculous, good attacking player yes, but wouldnt have him top 5 in world tbh, shouldve been Cole based on the CL performances

Falcao/RvP is a tough one, but I wouldve gone for RvP
No Toure or Bale is also extremely questionable.

If it was based on the last 12 months, and not on reputation or El Classico bias, it would have been a VERY different team.

How did Madrid and Barcelona get on in the Champions League last year? Exactly...

How did arsenal or man city get on in the champions league? Question asked due to your kompany rvp selections..

Remembering it is the FIFA world team of the year the champions league isn't the be all and end all..

JimBHibees
08-01-2013, 02:09 PM
EPL is the best league in the world.

Just not the best players.

JimBHibees
08-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Such a vague argument - as pointed out, what is the criteria?

Financial revenue? Attendance/Atmosphere? Skill? Player quality? Excitement for supporters?

The Premiership is a good league and has coughed up some superb games over the years. There are a wealth of quality players and it probably has greater financial revenue and higher attendances than many other leagues across Europe.

However, it's no longer the case that the elite players of world football ply their trade en masse in the Premiership. Having said that, just because there's a concentration of these superstars in 2 clubs in Spain doesn't therefore qualify La Liga to be the best. Players across La Liga are perhaps more technically capable than say players at the lower end of the Premiership but that doesn't stand for much either.

I used to be a huge advocate of La Liga but have gone off it over time. It's merely a better quality version of the pre-2012/13 SPL, whereby 2 bitter rivals divided by politics/religion dominate financially and the other clubs accept their windfalls and fight it out for the remaining scraps.

Serie A is enjoyable to watch but Italian Football has a long way to go to recover the shady reputation it's built up over the years.

I'd have to agree with those advocating the Bundesliga. Although Bayern and Dortmund do still have a bit of a stranglehold, there have been different winners over the years, the atmosphere at games is electric and it's a very technically developed league with a myriad of promising and skillful players.

Has the best player in the world ever played in the English league?

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Just not the best players.

Some of the best players in the world play in the EPL.

superfurryhibby
08-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Has the best player in the world ever played in the English league?

George Best was up there in his day, as were Booby Moore and Bobby Charlton, albeit a long time ago.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Best league in the world my erse. Why, because SKy Sports says so? They're marketing a product, of course they'll say that. I'd rather watch Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A any day of the week thanks.

This...but think the Italian league is poor these days, so much fouling and posturing by players puts me off watching it, would say Germany has the better teams by a mile to the EPL

JimBHibees
08-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Some of the best players in the world play in the EPL.

Just not the best ones.