PDA

View Full Version : Best Scottish player to never have been capped for scotland...

just_joe
08-01-2013, 02:44 AM
What is everyones thoughts? was discussing this with my mate. Just a bit of fun lol .

KWJ
08-01-2013, 05:03 AM
Aiden McGeady or perhaps soon James McCarthy.

:bitchy:

In my time I'll say Crunchie.

marinello59
08-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Joe Baker.
End of discussion.:greengrin

justlikebrazil
08-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Eric Stevenson :not worth

hibby al
08-01-2013, 06:53 AM
alex edwards

Jack
08-01-2013, 07:08 AM
alex edwards

:agree:

Golden Bear
08-01-2013, 07:59 AM
alex edwards

:agree::agree::agree:

JimBHibees
08-01-2013, 08:39 AM
alex edwards

Without doubt a wonderful player. Was always quoted as the reason he didnt get picked was down to his disciplinary problems yet miraculously guys with much worse records such as Wille Johnston (Rangers coincidence :rolleyes:) managed to be capped regularly.

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Yip Alex Edwards, what a player. :agree::agree::agree::agree:

1875er
08-01-2013, 08:43 AM
I am too young too have seen Alex Edwards but Andy Ritchie at Morton was some player and never got a cap.

BonnieFitbaTeam
08-01-2013, 08:51 AM
I am too young too have seen Alex Edwards but Andy Ritchie at Morton was some player and never got a cap.

Poor man's Ally McLeod :wink:

The_Exile
08-01-2013, 08:53 AM
CHICOOOOOO :thumbsup:

jodjam
Maybe not the "best" but when he was at the top of his game in his first spell I reckon mickey weir should have got a cap.

Sherlock Jones
Has anyone mentioned Alex Edwards yet?

:greengrin My pick too.

brog
08-01-2013, 08:56 AM
It's shameful that out of the Tornadoes only King Pat got double figures in caps, & that only 16. Edwards & Gordon were never capped & Brownlie, Blackley, Shades, Duncan & Cropley were in single figures. To be fair Brownlie's career was halted by injury allowing the less-talented McGrain to become a Scotland legend. I don't know if Colin Walsh of Forest & Charlton was ever capped but he was a superb player, a cross between Crops & Michael O'Neill.

hibby rae
08-01-2013, 08:58 AM
chicoooooo :thumbsup:

chico for scotland!!!!!

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Alex Edwards

Bill Milne
08-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Alex Edwards. Shameful that he never got a full cap!!

PeeJay
08-01-2013, 09:30 AM
My vote also goes to Alex Edwards - ridiculous to think he never even got a game/cap in any of the Home International tournaments or friendlies.

hibby al
08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
non hibs how about john mcgovern /notts forest

Leishy1995
08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
GOC shoulda been capped last year when on form.

xyz23jc
08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
alex edwards

:not worthDefo. Fact. End of. :greengrin

Future17
08-01-2013, 12:23 PM
GOC shoulda been capped last year when on form.

O'Connor was capped many time for Scotland.

The Green Goblin
08-01-2013, 12:44 PM
I never saw Alex Edwards play - and I wish I had - but Crunchie McAllister should have got a nod when he was doing the business for us week in week out. Would also have liked to see Chic Charnley getting a cap.

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2013, 12:57 PM
What about best English player to have been capped by Scotland, there's plenty to choose from!

Jim_in_Canada
08-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Alan Gordon - picked for Rest of the World 11 but not Scotland !

lapsedhibee
08-01-2013, 01:02 PM
What about best English player to have been capped by Scotland, there's plenty to choose from!

One of the Gorams?

Golden Bear
08-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Now that the eligibility rules have changed then I'll throw Joe Baker's name into the hat as he's got to be strong contender.

If only.

:not worth

superfurryhibby
08-01-2013, 01:15 PM
I never saw Alex Edwards play - and I wish I had - but Crunchie McAllister should have got a nod when he was doing the business for us week in week out. Would also have liked to see Chic Charnley getting a cap.

Charnley was a bit of half season wonder for us. McAllister, he was an excellent player. Part of the problem was that Miller never used him week in, week out at Hibs. From that era Pat McGinlay was one of the best goalscoring midfielders in the SPl and he sustained that for a good few seasons.

McKenzie
08-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Steven Fletcher?

Juice-Terry
08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Me! (Someone had to say it sooner or later.)

The Green Goblin
08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Charnley was a bit of half season wonder for us. McAllister, he was an excellent player. Part of the problem was that Miller never used him week in, week out at Hibs. From that era Pat McGinlay was one of the best goalscoring midfielders in the SPl and he sustained that for a good few seasons.

I know re Charnley. The "cap" (singular) was deliberate. I just wanted to see him in a Scotland shirt, even just the once :greengrin

McGinlay is a good shout. Definitely.

PatHead
08-01-2013, 01:28 PM

Bruce Rioch?

WindyMiller
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Good shout, captain of the team that won 2 European Cups!

E10 Rifle
08-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Albert Kidd :aok:

stu in nottingham
08-01-2013, 02:44 PM

Leaving aside Hibs players and the criminal way in which the likes of talents like Edwards and Gordon were ignored I think the above is a very good shout.

Watched him a lot over the years living here and whilst unspectacular he was a player's player and a manager's dream. He didn't dribble, score many goals or head a ball particularly well but he was such a a great team player. Always available to take a short pass from a team mate under pressure and invariably in the right place - in the thick of things and making tackles.

He was actually much maligned by the Forest support as whilst doing unselfish work he would inevitably come unstuck occasionally but nevertheless picked with monotonous regularity by Brian Clough who could obviously see that McGovern was the 'glue' in his team of players with superior skills.

He had strong opposition for a Dark Blue jersey in those days - not least by his team mate Archie Gemmill, but also Rioch, Masson, Bremner, Hartford, Souness etc. I always slightly felt that Scotland could have benefited from what McGovern offered the team for ninety minutes every time he stepped out rather than some of the more 'stellar' performers.

jdships
08-01-2013, 03:10 PM
alex edwards

100% a complete travesty that he never got a cap :confused:

Barman Stanton
08-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Pat McGinlay. He would have got loads of caps in this day and age. He was also Celtcs top scorer the season he was there.

cam75
08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Mcpake

CropleyWasGod
08-01-2013, 05:46 PM

Alex Cropley :cb

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Ray Houghton could be in with a shout?

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Ray Houghton could be in with a shout?

Chose the republic instead.

The Green Goblin
08-01-2013, 08:00 PM

My recollection is that to Houghton's frustration, Roxburgh continually overlooked him, then Jack Charlton made an approach and he went on to score that cracker of a winner against Italy in the world cup, leaving the SFA looking pretty stupid. So, technically, he "chose" ROI, yes, but that's not all there was to it.

ballengeich
08-01-2013, 08:18 PM

I read a newspaper article recently claiming that he never got a cap because Ally MacLeod didn't realise he was Scottish as McGovern had moved south while he was a child and had acquired an English accent. Craig Levein wouldn't have made THAT mistake:wink:

stu in nottingham
08-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Maybe so but McGovern still has a slight Scottish accent to this day judging by local radio broadcasts!

ballengeich
08-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Maybe so but McGovern still has a slight Scottish accent to this day judging by local radio broadcasts!

People who've moved around sometimes sound different to different people. I've a cousin who sounds Geordie to me but Scottish to people in Newcastle. I suspect McGovern's accent is in the same category.

Jonnyboy
08-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Edwards has rightly been mentioned by many and I'd add Jimmy O'Rourke to that number as well

PerthHibby
08-01-2013, 09:24 PM

John McGovern is my dads cousin, I remember going to Parkhead to see Celtic v Forest in the old European Cup with my dad and grandad.
Must have been early 80's. Forest were a great side and beat Celtic over 2 legs I think?

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2013, 09:25 PM
My recollection is that to Houghton's frustration, Roxburgh continually overlooked him, then Jack Charlton made an approach and he went on to score that cracker of a winner against Italy in the world cup, leaving the SFA looking pretty stupid. So, technically, he "chose" ROI, yes, but that's not all there was to it.

What actually happened is that Ray was unhappy at how he was treated by Roxburgh as an under 18 Scottish player and felt that the young lads attached to English clubs were treated differently and became disillusioned with the Scottish set up. Ray was a great lad and well liked in Liverpool, I used to frequent the same pub that him and John Aldridge used to drink in on a Saturday night in Liverpool, always well received in their "local" no big billy bull**** from either of them.

DoonTheSlope
08-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Alex Edwards

The Green Goblin
08-01-2013, 10:01 PM
What actually happened is that Ray was unhappy at how he was treated by Roxburgh as an under 18 Scottish player and felt that the young lads attached to English clubs were treated differently and became disillusioned with the Scottish set up. Ray was a great lad and well liked in Liverpool, I used to frequent the same pub that him and John Aldridge used to drink in on a Saturday night in Liverpool, always well received in their "local" no big billy bull**** from either of them.

Interesting story - thanks for explaining it. Cheers. I knew there was some disillusionment at Roxburgh somewhere along the line. It all worked out for him (Houghton) pretty well in the end though, didn't it?

Stantons Angel
08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Alex Edwards

my first thought too.............

A superb footballing player who could do anything with the ball at his feet.

He was more sinned against than sinner and because of his temper he missed out on becoming a Scottish Legend.

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Still - he's Scottish and not capped by Scotland!

Mr White
08-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Craig Brewster.

darwenhibby
08-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Leaving aside Hibs players and the criminal way in which the likes of talents like Edwards and Gordon were ignored I think the above is a very good shout.

Watched him a lot over the years living here and whilst unspectacular he was a player's player and a manager's dream. He didn't dribble, score many goals or head a ball particularly well but he was such a a great team player. Always available to take a short pass from a team mate under pressure and invariably in the right place - in the thick of things and making tackles.

He was actually much maligned by the Forest support as whilst doing unselfish work he would inevitably come unstuck occasionally but nevertheless picked with monotonous regularity by Brian Clough who could obviously see that McGovern was the 'glue' in his team of players with superior skills.

He had strong opposition for a Dark Blue jersey in those days - not least by his team mate Archie Gemmill, but also Rioch, Masson, Bremner, Hartford, Souness etc. I always slightly felt that Scotland could have benefited from what McGovern offered the team for ninety minutes every time he stepped out rather than some of the more 'stellar' performers.
Bremner?
Do you mean billy des or Gary?!!

Capt Mainwaring
08-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Jackie McNamara, Snr

monktonharp
08-01-2013, 11:53 PM
alex edwards:agree:

hibbydog
09-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Hamish mcalpine

stu in nottingham
09-01-2013, 10:12 AM
People who've moved around sometimes sound different to different people. I've a cousin who sounds Geordie to me but Scottish to people in Newcastle. I suspect McGovern's accent is in the same category.

That's an interesting point and one I'd certainly concede. Makes you wonder how McLeod managed to pick out Bruce Rioch who was born and bred in England. Mind you, that job was probably made easy for him by the vastly superior previous incumbent in the Scotland manager job.

John McGovern is my dads cousin, I remember going to Parkhead to see Celtic v Forest in the old European Cup with my dad and grandad.
Must have been early 80's. Forest were a great side and beat Celtic over 2 legs I think?

Remember it well. The market square here in Nottingham swamped with Celtic fans. Celtic were widely tipped after a draw in the first leg at the City Ground but Forest did a really good job on them in the second leg, against the odds.

Bremner?
Do you mean billy des or Gary?!!

The one with 54 appearances for Scotland. ;)

StevieT
09-01-2013, 11:15 AM
That's an interesting point and one I'd certainly concede. Makes you wonder how McLeod managed to pick out Bruce Rioch who was born and bred in England. Mind you, that job was probably made easy for him by the vastly superior previous incumbent in the Scotland manager job.

Remember it well. The market square here in Nottingham swamped with Celtic fans. Celtic were widely tipped after a draw in the first leg at the City Ground but Forest did a really good job on them in the second leg, against the odds.

The one with 54 appearances for Scotland. ;)

Billy Bremner. My all time favourite Scotland player.

Isaac_Refvik
09-01-2013, 11:27 AM
McPele!:wink:

--------
09-01-2013, 02:28 PM
JOHN McNAMEE. :not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

just_joe
09-01-2013, 03:20 PM
As some above have mentioned the first player that came into my head was Sir Pat McGinlay! legend. Brewsters also a good shout I always liked the goalkeeper Alan Main.

Mr White
09-01-2013, 03:26 PM
As some above have mentioned the first player that came into my head was Sir Pat McGinlay! legend. Brewsters also a good shout I always liked the goalkeeper Alan Main.

Main was certainly named in a good few squads as third choice. I wonder if he holds the record for number of call-ups without earning a cap?

heretoday
09-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Alan Gordon always said it was Joe Jordan who stood in the way of his playing for Scotland.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I have 2, the McShowumni twins.

Golden Bear
09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I'll add the name of Kevin McCallister.

A great wee attacking winger who was Hibernianised into developing his tracking back defensive qualities and was never the same player again.

stu in nottingham
09-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Alan Gordon always said it was Joe Jordan who stood in the way of his playing for Scotland.

There's 'chalk and cheese' for you!

Two players who got the job done in very dissimilar ways.

Jonnyboy
09-01-2013, 08:07 PM
JOHN McNAMEE. :not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Like you Doddie, I'm a huge fan of Big John and have been checking the following link on and off for a couple of years. Sadly it seems the author may have given up on the project

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Mcnamee-An-Autobiography-McNamee/dp/1840186976

Drem
09-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Alan Gordon and Jim O'Rourke.
What a pairing that would have been up front.

Danderhall Hibs
09-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Like you Doddie, I'm a huge fan of Big John and have been checking the following link on and off for a couple of years. Sadly it seems the author may have given up on the project

McNamee's one of my father-in-law's all time favourites - he'd love to read that book if it's ever published.

Do you know if there are any Joe Baker biographies? Quick google search didn't return anything.

Jonnyboy
09-01-2013, 08:33 PM
McNamee's one of my father-in-law's all time favourites - he'd love to read that book if it's ever published.

Do you know if there are any Joe Baker biographies? Quick google search didn't return anything.

None that I'm aware of DH but it sounds like an idea :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
09-01-2013, 08:39 PM
None that I'm aware of DH but it sounds like an idea :greengrin

Get cracking then! I've got a buyer for one of them already!

--------
10-01-2013, 12:01 PM

Aye - it looked promising for a while - there was a pre-order possibility on Amazon at one point IIRC, but nothing seems to have come of it.

We had a number of friendlies with Newcastle at the time he played for them, and the Toon boys could never understand why we let them have him - especially at the price they paid (£25,000, I think it was, or thereabouts). They loved him, and I have to say that he and Bobby Moncur made up the most intimidating centre-back partnership I have ever seen (apart from Gentile and Scirea for Italy, but they were something else again). When I told him that the referees had been out to get him, they looked completely blank - he had no problems with the referees down south any more than any other stopper centre-half.

I don't know if this is true, but a Newcastle fan told me that in a game against Dirty Leeds United, DLU "won" a free-kick wide and level with the Newcastle 18-yard line. (Gray doing a swanny, he said.) Giles lined up to take it - curl it towards the back post where Charlton would barge in to put it in the net while Bremner and Hunter took out any defenders in his way. The ball came in, in went the Three Stooges, and BBJ rose majestically, cleared the ball and flattened all three of them in the process.

The guy assured me that it was official at St James's Park - BBJ alone was harder and stronger than the entire DLU half-back line put together. :not worth

kaimendhibs
10-01-2013, 12:06 PM
alex edwards

Unbelievable he was never capped, shocking

--------
10-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Unbelievable he was never capped, shocking

We had Tommy Mclean at the time. :rolleyes:

Cannae mind who he played for, though ...

JimBHibees
10-01-2013, 03:22 PM

I dont think Alan was ever called up to the squad though so must have been more than just Joe.

Probably Derek Parlane or Joe Craig or other top quality strikers. :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
We had Tommy Mclean at the time. :rolleyes:

Cannae mind who he played for, though ...

Jimmy Johnstone would also have been round that time also would he not.

Jonnyboy
10-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Aye - it looked promising for a while - there was a pre-order possibility on Amazon at one point IIRC, but nothing seems to have come of it.

We had a number of friendlies with Newcastle at the time he played for them, and the Toon boys could never understand why we let them have him - especially at the price they paid (£25,000, I think it was, or thereabouts). They loved him, and I have to say that he and Bobby Moncur made up the most intimidating centre-back partnership I have ever seen (apart from Gentile and Scirea for Italy, but they were something else again). When I told him that the referees had been out to get him, they looked completely blank - he had no problems with the referees down south any more than any other stopper centre-half.

I don't know if this is true, but a Newcastle fan told me that in a game against Dirty Leeds United, DLU "won" a free-kick wide and level with the Newcastle 18-yard line. (Gray doing a swanny, he said.) Giles lined up to take it - curl it towards the back post where Charlton would barge in to put it in the net while Bremner and Hunter took out any defenders in his way. The ball came in, in went the Three Stooges, and BBJ rose majestically, cleared the ball and flattened all three of them in the process.

The guy assured me that it was official at St James's Park - BBJ alone was harder and stronger than the entire DLU half-back line put together. :not worth

Sadly it's dead in the water Doddie.

Source? The author who intended to write it :agree:

Bostonhibby
10-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Poor man's Ally McLeod :wink:

:agree: and only half the weight:greengrin

Iggy Pope
10-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Pat McGinlay. He would have got loads of caps in this day and age. He was also Celtcs top scorer the season he was there.

He did get a Scotland 'B' cap though.

Bostonhibby
10-01-2013, 08:47 PM
In the 70's didn't hertz used to have a stalwart full back who was as good going forward as he was at defending,:faf: I seem to remember 1973 never started too well for him - if it wasn't for every other team in Scotland also having a full back available for selection ahead of him he would have been a shoe in and got hundreds of caps.

FranckSuzy
10-01-2013, 08:52 PM
One of the Gorams?

:tee hee:

monktonharp
10-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Jimmy Johnstone would also have been round that time also would he not.johnstone was still around, as was mc clean but when it comes to midfield, spraying passes about , finding yer ain man, they couldnae lace Edwards' bits! wee JJ played on the wing, and I think the wee chipmonk hun did the same.

monktonharp
10-01-2013, 09:15 PM
while we're oan about it, I think Donald Ford should have got more International games. not sure if his only turnout was for the Scottish League. although I'm sure he went to the world cup in 74. could be wrong.jambo dog, so it's not as if he was a real person. anyways.

--------
10-01-2013, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;3469221]Jimmy Johnstone would also have been round that time also would he not.[/QUOTE}

Jinky I could understand - he could be literally unplayable at times.

Tommy McLean was a Rangers #7 who was nothing more than a pale imitation of Alex Edwards.

Another name comes to mind - one of my parishioners. Willie McPheat was an extremely gifted inside-left who played for Sunderland in the early 1960's until some dirty big Englishman wrecked his knee. I don't think he played senior in Scotland; I googled him but there seems to be little or no information about him even on the web.

Ray_
10-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I dont think Alan was ever called up to the squad though so must have been more than just Joe.

Probably Derek Parlane or Joe Craig or other top quality strikers. :rolleyes:

He was called up in 1973 but sadly pulled out injured, I think it might have been for the home internationals. Colin Stein [spit] and John O'Hare [the Doc] were among the ones being picked on a regular basis before Joe Jordan.

PS
I totally agree with Mickey & Alan Gordon.

Ray_
10-01-2013, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;3469221]Jimmy Johnstone would also have been round that time also would he not.[/QUOTE}

Tommy McLean was a Rangers #7 who was nothing more than a pale imitation of Alex Edwards.

Another name comes to mind - one of my parishioners. Willie McPheat was an extremely gifted inside-left who played for Sunderland in the early 1960's until some dirty big Englishman wrecked his knee. I don't think he played senior in Scotland; I googled him but there seems to be little or no information about him even on the web.

Another tragic loss was Tony Green of Newcastle, although he got capped in 1970, I think it was, against England, before injury finished him.

Ray_
10-01-2013, 10:39 PM

Charlie Cooke was playing his final games for Scotland around 1971 and Peter Lorimer and Jinky were the regulars for the number seven shirt. We tended to play the likes of Billy Bremner, Archie Gemmell, Asa Hartford and George Graham inside the winger, oh and not forgetting the outstanding Davie Robb!

AK86
10-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Me ,
and Jackie McNamara snr :agree:

stu in nottingham
10-01-2013, 11:40 PM
He was called up in 1973 but sadly pulled out injured, I think it might have been for the home internationals. Colin Stein [spit] and John O'Hare [the Doc] were among the ones being picked on a regular basis before Joe Jordan.

John O'Hare was a wee bit underrated I always felt, Ray. Came to Forest near the end of his career as a bit part (Clough) player and was absolutely excellent and always reliable. Forest fans called him 'coathanger' because of his square-set shoulders!

[QUOTE=Doddie;3469546]

Another tragic loss was Tony Green of Newcastle, although he got capped in 1970, I think it was, against England, before injury finished him.

Loved that guy! Thought Tony Green was a fabulous player - one of my very favourites of all-time

[QUOTE=Doddie;3469546]

Charlie Cooke was playing his final games for Scotland around 1971 and Peter Lorimer and Jinky were the regulars for the number seven shirt. We tended to play the likes of Billy Bremner, Archie Gemmell, Asa Hartford and George Graham inside the winger, oh and not forgetting the outstanding Davie Robb!

We were always so strong for wingers in those days (and midfielders) Ah, those were the days...

The Green Goblin
11-01-2013, 12:59 AM
=Doddie;3469546]
Jimmy Johnstone would also have been round that time also would he not.

If the boy's still around and happy to talk about it, that could be a fascinating chat to have one Sunday morn on the way out the door. :wink:

--------
11-01-2013, 01:11 AM
If the boy's still around and happy to talk about it, that could be a fascinating chat to have one Sunday morn on the way out the door. :wink:

Willie doesn't come around on Sunday, but I'm beginning to think I should take a wee wander round and see how he's doing.

Amazing thing about this area of North Lanarkshire - I've lost count of the number of top-class footballers born or living within 10 miles of this house.

For example - just after the war Scotland played a friendly against Switzerland. The way teams lined up in those days, the full-backs and cewntre-half formed the back line of the defence. That day against the Swiss, the full backs were Jock Shaw of Rangers and Davy Shaw of Hibs. The centre-half was Frank Brennan of Newcastle Utd. All three came from the mining village of Annathill, which in those days was a one street with about 200 inhabitants.

Add Willie McPheat, Willie Hamilton (Airdrie), John McNamee (Coatbridge), Jim Black (Plains), Willie Henderson (the Caldera), John Brownlie (the Caldera) ...

And think of the guys who played for Hibs and were born and bred in and around Leith.

Once upon a time, Scotland bred footballers.

The Green Goblin
11-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Willie doesn't come around on Sunday, but I'm beginning to think I should take a wee wander round and see how he's doing.

Amazing thing about this area of North Lanarkshire - I've lost count of the number of top-class footballers born or living within 10 miles of this house.

For example - just after the war Scotland played a friendly against Switzerland. The way teams lined up in those days, the full-backs and cewntre-half formed the back line of the defence. That day against the Swiss, the full backs were Jock Shaw of Rangers and Davy Shaw of Hibs. The centre-half was Frank Brennan of Newcastle Utd. All three came from the mining village of Annathill, which in those days was a one street with about 200 inhabitants.

Add Willie McPheat, Willie Hamilton (Airdrie), John McNamee (Coatbridge), Jim Black (Plains), Willie Henderson (the Caldera), John Brownlie (the Caldera) ...

And think of the guys who played for Hibs and were born and bred in and around Leith.

Once upon a time, Scotland bred footballers.

Great post (as ever) and you are reminiscing about a time and age I never knew but love to read about and reflect upon the words of those that did. That sense of the lost spirit of an age can still affect people who never knew it though. There's a depth and quality often lacking from today's world of primarily virtual rather than real relationships, the immediacy of everything, impatience and expectation. Those guys lived hard lives and, when you read about them, or talk to them, as I have also done over my life, to my grandfather's generation, there's a steel and real substance to them borne of hardship which always leaves me in awe of them. Different times and always a pleasure to read about. You should strike while the iron is hot and go and have that chat. Cheers.

stu in nottingham
11-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Doddie, had relatives in Bellshill/Uddingston and used to visit there quite a bit as a teen. Was always amazed by the amount of top-drawer players that came from that area. I understand that Bellshill Athletic at various times fielded Hughie Gallagher, Alex James and Matt Busby. Some more modern-day superb players too have come out of their such as Jimmy Johnstone and John Robertson (Forest version).

--------
11-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Doddie, had relatives in Bellshill/Uddingston and used to visit there quite a bit as a teen. Was always amazed by the amount of top-drawer players that came from that area. I understand that Bellshill Athletic at various times fielded Hughie Gallagher, Alex James and Matt Busby. Some more modern-day superb players too have come out of their such as Jimmy Johnstone and John Robertson (Forest version).

John Collins' family is from Bellshill, too, I think.

I googled 'Bellshill' on Wikipedia; there's a list of 'notable' people born there at the foot of the page, but since most of the footballers are of fairly recent vintage and nowhere near the level of 'great players who never played for Scotland' I won't elaborate further.

Suffice to say that Brian Kerr's on their list, so maybe there's a typing error in there and the list is really a list of NOT ABLE people from the town.

Edit: Just noticed Jake McPake's on that list too. Goes without saying he's a more than notable footballer. AWESOME would be more like it.

PatHead
11-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Was Tommy Gemmill not from that neck of the woods as well? By the way he is one of only 2 British players to score in 2 different European Cup finals. Who was the other?

stu in nottingham
11-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Was Tommy Gemmill not from that neck of the woods as well? By the way he is one of only 2 British players to score in 2 different European Cup finals. Who was the other?

Wiki says Gemmill was born in nearby Motherwell. Billy McNeill is Bellshill though.

PatHead
11-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Wiki says Gemmill was born in nearby Motherwell. Billy McNeill is Bellshill though.

Stand corrected. Knew it was somewhere in that region. Always admired him when I was a kid. Think it was his powerful shot more than defending. Worked with him years later and he kindly got me a signed Lisbon Lions Celtic top which raised hundreds of pounds at a charity auction.

--------
11-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Could we please keep this thread clean and civilised?

The Fergusons (Barry and Derek) and Ally McSwally are also from around Bellshill, but I was trying not to draw attention to them.

And I'm not sure how far McNeill and Gemmell (sp) would qualify in my memory as great footballers. IIRC they got away with a lot of villainy simply because they played for Celtic - and if they hadn't been let away with so much they wouldn't be nearly so highly thought of.

Gemmell in particular I think of as primarily a thug.

stu in nottingham
11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm not so sure I'd claim them as great players either. They did have notable careers though.

Guess there's a whole line of players from the area - bit of a hotbed. There's even some bloke called James McPake.

Don't forget Mike Denness either!

--------
11-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm not so sure I'd claim them as great players either. They did have notable careers though.

Guess there's a whole line of players from the area - bit of a hotbed. There's even some bloke called James McPake.

Don't forget Mike Denness either!

Aye - I noticed Jake and put him in an edit.

And how could I forget Mike Denness? The England cricket captain who camefae Bellshill.

Best story I heard about him was the day he got a letter, the envelope addressed to "Mike Denness, Cricketer".

The letter inside read, "Dear Mr Denness, If the Post Office has successfully delivered this letter to you, they obviously have a much higher opinion of your abilities than I do. Signed, Etc..."

Too nice to be captain, I'm afraid. Unlike the earlier Scot who captained England - one Douglas R Jardine. :turnevil:

Jonnyboy
11-01-2013, 07:09 PM
John Collins' family is from Bellshill, too, I think.

I googled 'Bellshill' on Wikipedia; there's a list of 'notable' people born there at the foot of the page, but since most of the footballers are of fairly recent vintage and nowhere near the level of 'great players who never played for Scotland' I won't elaborate further.

Suffice to say that Brian Kerr's on their list, so maybe there's a typing error in there and the list is really a list of NOT ABLE people from the town.

Edit: Just noticed Jake McPake's on that list too. Goes without saying he's a more than notable footballer. AWESOME would be more like it.

Is Sheena Easton from there too? She's a good sport, I hear :greengrin

--------
11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Is Sheena Easton from there too? She's a good sport, I hear :greengrin

Yup.

Charlene Spiteri was born there too. Robin Cook was another.

PatHead
11-01-2013, 09:36 PM
I'll ruin the Bellshill link. Swally McCoist was also created in Bellshill.

PatHead
11-01-2013, 09:45 PM
while we're oan about it, I think Donald Ford should have got more International games. not sure if his only turnout was for the Scottish League. although I'm sure he went to the world cup in 74. could be wrong.jambo dog, so it's not as if he was a real person. anyways.

Sure he got cricket caps for Scotland. Would they count?

--------
11-01-2013, 09:48 PM
I'll ruin the Bellshill link. Swally McCoist was also created in Bellshill.

Keep up, mate.

Check my post #100. The Ferguson brothers are on the list too. Lee McCulloch as well. :rolleyes:

--------
11-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Sure he got cricket caps for Scotland. Would they count?

Not unless he was in the habit of heading the ball back to the bowler. :greengrin

PatHead
11-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Keep up, mate.

Check my post #100. The Ferguson brothers are on the list too. Lee McCulloch as well. :rolleyes:

Sorry boss! Won't try and be clever ever again.

Mr White
12-01-2013, 06:36 AM
I thought the reason so many footballers were "from" bellshill is that was where lanarkshires maternity unit was located but the sprog footballers families were mostly from surrounding towns.

Keith_M
12-01-2013, 09:23 AM
I thought the reason so many footballers were "from" bellshill is that was where lanarkshires maternity unit was located but the sprog footballers families were mostly from surrounding towns.

My Birth Certificate says PoB: Haddington, but I've never lived within 10 miles of the place

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Aiden McGeady or perhaps soon James McCarthy.

:bitchy:

In my time I'll say Crunchie.

Pity he was so much better for Falkirk than he was for us, never really understood the man love some folk on here have for him. Had some decent games, but, thats about it.

--------
12-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Aye, but the surrounding towns all merge into one, and most of the guys we're talking about first came to the attention of the senior clubs when they were playing for their school teams in the Lanarkshire Schools Cup - a competition now sadly defunct. Coatbridge to Caldercruix and south as far as Wishaw/Larkhall isn't that big an area to have produced so many.

monktonharp
14-01-2013, 02:06 PM
I'll ruin the Bellshill link. Swally McCoist was also created in Bellshill. that's funny, I heard that Mc Coist was conceived on Woolmet bing.