PDA

View Full Version : are the press making a big deal of it?

Mister P
05-01-2013, 11:03 PM
"powder keg fixtures", is that not over doing it a bit.

just a question like, dont shoot me.

a random ass hole spitting at the ball boy, regardless of what team he supports, what a prick! but that was one out of several thousands.

smoke bomb thrown into our end, ok thats a silly one as someone could have got hurt, thankfully they didnt.

we're there really coins being thrown? I didnt see any of this so there may have been?

other than those 2 incidents (which werent very savoury granted) I thought both sets of fans were up for the game and full of banter.

when the spl behave like the whores of sky sports, and allow a fixture to be moved to 7:45 on a festive holiday, particularly one that is traditionaly associated to drinking....then they cant expect everyone to behave like choir boys. but 2 morons out of around 17,000

or was there a lot more than that?

matty_f
05-01-2013, 11:11 PM
The police reported 2 arrests, IIRC.

The press have blown it totally out of proportion. The huge majority of fans on both sides behaved well and made for a great atmosphere. The players by and large behaved themselves (no red cards... though there should have been one).

Tend to agree with you, to be honest.

cocopops1875
05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
"powder keg fixtures", is that not over doing it a bit.

just a question like, dont shoot me.

a random ass hole spitting at the ball boy, regardless of what team he supports, what a prick! but that was one out of several thousands.

smoke bomb thrown into our end, ok thats a silly one as someone could have got hurt, thankfully they didnt.

we're there really coins being thrown? I didnt see any of this so there may have been?

other than those 2 incidents (which werent very savoury granted) I thought both sets of fans were up for the game and full of banter.

when the spl behave like the whores of sky sports, and allow a fixture to be moved to 7:45 on a festive holiday, particularly one that is traditionaly associated to drinking....then they cant expect everyone to behave like choir boys. but 2 morons out of around 17,000

or was there a lot more than that?

Totally getting talked about as something it wasnt mate, there were incidents that were out of order (but these could have happened at any time) you are always gonna get some Roasters supporting both sides there really is not anything you can do about it:agree:

Mister P
05-01-2013, 11:24 PM
ok tin hat on here, I'm going to make a statement!!

a 3pm ko on new years day would have been less booze fuelled!
bring it back!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2013, 11:37 PM
If there had ever been only 2 arrests at an Old Firm game it would be front page news for completely different reasons.

Sir David Gray
05-01-2013, 11:42 PM
The reports of someone spitting on a ballboy are really disappointing and it's clearly not good publicity for the club having our supporters linked with behaviour like that.

However, I think it has to be taken into context. There was just over 17,000 people at the game on Thursday, for a derby game at night, just after New Year, when probably the majority of those who attended the game were under the influence of alcohol to some extent. To have just two arrests on the night of the game shows that the vast majority of Hibs and Hearts fans know how to behave themselves, even with a drink in them. I didn't feel that the atmosphere between the two sets of fans was any worse than it has been during any other visit to Tynecastle that I've made over the past few years.

There were the usual insults flying back and forth between the fans and the usual "hard men" giving it the "come ahead" gestures from the safety of their own stand. I can't comment on what happened in the city afterwards but I don't think anything too extreme happened in or around the stadium. Maybe it would have been worse if there had been a winner from the match but we'll never know that.

I suppose reporting that 17,000 people turned up for a football match and behaved themselves doesn't sell quite as many newspapers as reporting that there were two idiots who turned up, one spitting on a ballboy and the other lobbing a smoke bomb which landed near a young child.

I suppose the media needs some scandal to report on, in the absence of their beloved Old Firm match.

Baldy Foghorn
05-01-2013, 11:48 PM

bring it back!!

It does not matter what time kick off is in my opinion, some people want to get totally tanked up prior to the match, whether it be in a pub, club or house. New Year's Day would see a continuation of Hogmanay. If people want to get tanked up, then they will, no matter time or date of kick off....

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Seems to be a difference between the way that the Dens Park incident was reported and this match has been.

kaimendhibs
06-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Seems to be a difference between the way that the Dens Park incident was reported and this match has been.

No surprise there then. Are all midweek games banned? That wasn't a derby! Mcaskill makes me sick, hypocrite and balloon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevesFamau5
06-01-2013, 01:19 AM

bring it back!!

possibly but how many others myself included. would either a. top up the alcohol levels with a few beers etc or b. stop drink only to restart at midday new years day... being honest i think it would still equal just as much trouble. during the day say four days after. when the bank balance allows for a ticket and nothing more. that could curb the madness. however it may also substantialy reduce attendance... just saying :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hibercelona
06-01-2013, 02:35 AM
They no longer have the OF derby to pick holes out of.

So its no real surprise that all the press focus is now on the Edinburgh Derby (the biggest game in Scotland).

Mister P
06-01-2013, 02:39 AM
possibly but how many others myself included. would either a. top up the alcohol levels with a few beers etc or b. stop drink only to restart at midday new years day... being honest i think it would still equal just as much trouble. during the day say four days after. when the bank balance allows for a ticket and nothing more. that could curb the madness. however it may also substantialy reduce attendance... just saying :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
that's exactly what I'm getting at, therefore just keep it on New year's day!

They no longer have the OF derby to pick holes out of.

So its no real surprise that all the press focus is now on the Edinburgh Derby (the biggest game in Scotland).

yup,think we might see more of it being scrutinized over the next couple of years.

Hibrandenburg
06-01-2013, 07:50 AM
See one of our resident Yams was quoted saying how disgusting we are when we go calling. Pretty much one sided reporting and needs to be challenged.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Whilst the majority of fans were well behaved, a few idiots on either side have brought unwanted negative attention.

The press have tried to play up incidents at the Edinburgh Derby for years as it gives them an opportunity to paint us as 'just as bad' as Celtic and Rangers. Sadly a minority have played right into their hands.

Throwing coins, singing about fenians, throwing smoke bombs and spitting doesn't look good and the press now have their opportunity to play the mini Celtic and mini Rangers card. It shouldnt be unexpected and we have a few idiots to blame. Of course given the almost deafening silence about what went on at Dens Park, it shows the hypocrisy and west coast bias in our sports reporting up for what it is.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2013, 08:14 AM
See one of our resident Yams was quoted saying how disgusting we are when we go calling. Pretty much one sided reporting and needs to be challenged.

He's a fud that one.

Posts constant abuse about this site and our fans in general over there then comes over here trying to be resonable and best mates.

Creepy.

bingo70
06-01-2013, 08:16 AM
He's a fud that one.

Posts constant abuse about this site and our fans in general over there then comes over here trying to be resonable and best mates.

Creepy.

Who is it?

Mark79
06-01-2013, 08:27 AM
They dont have the old firm games to talk about crowd trouble so make any incident at our games appear huge.

jodjam
06-01-2013, 08:39 AM
I would put my last cent on the fact domestic abuse does not go up by 20% after an Edinburgh derby. The mess a Glasgow derby leaves affects many families a long time after the game ends. Hospitals also very busy.

But if the media can highlight some unsavoury stuff at the PBS then it's job done for them

Pretty Boy
06-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Who is it?

Tazio.