PDA

View Full Version : The winter break

Golden Bear
05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Aye good one, another winner from the football authorities. It's absolutely perfect weather for both watching and playing football yet things have ground to a halt to give the wee lambs a midwinter break.

:grr:

:greengrin

jodjam
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
I like the break. Money is tight just now so crowds would maybe drop a bit. Don't think they are trying to second guess the weather. If the break allows players chance to get over little niggles then its a good thing IMO

cocopops1875
05-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Not a fan my thoughts were a two week break at the start of march only to be used if you are up to date with games ( if not you use the two weeks to play postponed fixtures ) it seems crazy that Ross county will be a month without playing

col02
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
A match today before a two week break would have made more sense as a lot of people are on holiday still. That said the pitches are starting to show signs of wear and tear. Players will also appreciate a break from training and playing too I'm sure. Personally in favour of a winter break!

--------
05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
A match today before a two week break would have made more sense as a lot of people are on holiday still. That said the pitches are starting to show signs of wear and tear. Players will also appreciate a break from training and playing too I'm sure. Personally in favour of a winter break!

We start up again on the 19th, right?

I wonder what the weather'll be like THAT day ... :rolleyes:

Bristolhibby
05-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Personally I'm in favour of Summer football.

J

col02
05-01-2013, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=Doddie;3465038]We start up again on the 19th, right?

I wonder what the weather'll be like THAT day ... :rolleyes:[/

Well given it will be the middle of January chances are it may be cold. Just because we happen to be in a mild spell at the moment doesn't make the Winter break a bad idea does it? If anything the timing could be looked at but there are no guarantees in this country unless you have a crystal ball whereby you can see the weather that awaits.

cocopops1875
05-01-2013, 10:57 AM

J

So is McGlynn which means I'm out

carnoustiehibee
05-01-2013, 11:07 AM
European leagues have a break every year.

Think the break has come at a perfect time for hibs after 2 tough games. with a smallish squad it let's everyone freshen up.

down-the-slope
05-01-2013, 11:15 AM
gives Pat and backroom staff a couple of free weekends to be checking on prospective additions to squad :greengrin

clerriehibs
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM

J

Summer's usually when folks go on their holidays, so there'd be an impact on revenue.

Personally, I prefer watching a game under the lights to being blinded by the sun.

Mr White
05-01-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.edinburgh.climatemps.com/
July has the most rainfall here according to that. If the pitches only get a chance to recover in the months when grass grows least then that could lead to some pretty ropey playing surfaces imo if we moved to a summer season.

Eyrie
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Not a fan my thoughts were a two week break at the start of march only to be used if you are up to date with games ( if not you use the two weeks to play postponed fixtures ) it seems crazy that Ross county will be a month without playing

Makes sense, so expect unanimity from the SFA, SPL and SFL in rejecting the idea.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2013, 01:10 PM
I posted this on another thread, and we could all argue just when the break should be?

If i'm honest, i think this break has come just at the right time for us? Yes we have just taken 4 points from 2 very difficult fixtures, but our squad is very thin and some are coming back from long lay offs, and others like Cairney seem to have run out of steam.

Cairney is playing his first season in the SPL, and after starting off like a house on fire has looked recently like he's running on empty.

Clancy and McPake along with Deegan will be happy to have this break imo, it will give them a couple of weeks to tune their body without the stress of a couple of games.

Of course i could be wrong, but i feel they need this rest, and hopefully will come back stronger after it?

DarrenSQH
05-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Winter break is a joke. Could be at a game today, no problem with weather. Miss the traditional cup game.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Winter break is a joke. Could be at a game today, no problem with weather. Miss the traditional cup game.

We wouldn't have had a game today if there was no winter break?

DarrenSQH
05-01-2013, 01:59 PM
We wouldn't have had a game today if there was no winter break?

Well tomorrow then.

cocopops1875
05-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Well tomorrow then.

its meant to be tipping down the morn :devil:

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Well tomorrow then.

its meant to be tipping down the morn :devil:

:greengrin

Kojock
05-01-2013, 02:07 PM
I think the winter shutdown is great, gives me a chance to fit in a two week holiday in the sun.:thumbsup:

Devilstorment
05-01-2013, 02:07 PM
I think we have looked tired recently so I am glad for a little break.

I hope that the SFA have the common sense to get all the games in hand that various teams (ross county, Celtic, Hearts et al) have accumulated out of the way.

lucky
05-01-2013, 02:08 PM
The winter break is the correct thing to do.its not about just the weather. Players get a mini break after working over the holidays and gives the pitches recovery time. Only complaint I have it too short. If football stopped till March it would help kill the yams off

VickMackie
05-01-2013, 02:08 PM
I think it's a good thing. Bit boring that there's no football on just now but it's a good time for a break in the season. Keeps the new year games aswell.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
The winter break is the correct thing to do.its not about just the weather. Players get a mini break after working over the holidays and gives the pitches recovery time. Only complaint I have it too short. If football stopped till March it would help kill the yams off

Never thought of it like that? :agree:

Alfred E Newman
05-01-2013, 04:08 PM

J

:yawn:

jgl07
07-01-2013, 01:08 AM
European leagues have a break every year.

Which explains why there are matches continuing in France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece, etc.

It is Germany and Holland who have a break. They experience a contiental climate which is predictable. Scotland has an unpredictable maritime climate.

I suspect that last Saturday would have generated better revenue than a mid-week fixture round at the end of January (with Hibs at Ross County!).

The worst weather in Scotland is often in February.

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Which explains why there are matches continuing in France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece, etc.

It is Germany and Holland who have a break. They experience a contiental climate which is predictable. Scotland has an unpredictable maritime climate.

I suspect that last Saturday would have generated better revenue than a mid-week fixture round at the end of January (with Hibs at Ross County!).

I dont think the break is long enough, it should be imo 3 weeks to a month. The problem about that is like you say, we just dont know when we are going to have our bad weather?

For me the break is not to do with the bad weather, its more about giving the players a rest. Teams like Hibs and the rest of the SPL bar Celtic now, run squads that are very very thin.

We are flogging the same players week in week out, and they need a rest imo.

The bigger clubs can rotate their squad, you see it in England all the time, we dont have enough quality to have that luxury.

Thecat23
07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Personally I'd like to see summer football. with a shut down for a few weeks during a WC or Euro's. This winter shut down isn't just about the weather for me. Yes it's playable weather but it is also a time for players to get a bit rest and recover from niggling injuries and for us fans to save a bit cash when times are a bit tight for a few. So for me I'm happy to have it.

Chuck Rhoades
07-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Weather aside, I think the break is excellent for supporters financially. Just after a hectic Christmas/New Year, a chance to get back to normality and save some cash.

Had we had a game last weekend and the coming one, I believe the attendances would have dropped.

bournehibby
07-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Are you Hibsbollah in disguise ?:wink:

bh