PDA

View Full Version : Building From The Back.

hibby rae
04-01-2013, 10:40 AM
In the last few years, I think you'll agree, we have been far too easy to score against. Yet on some occasions we have still fielded strong teams that have won a lot of games and been hard to beat. However, the teams of Mowbray, Collins, Hughes etc. were definately built with one aim in mind, to outscore the opposition. This strategy did work at times but, as we have seen, when the attackers stopped scoring the team would lose. However, Fenlon seems to have given us a reliable goalkeeper , a back four that promises to be very difficult to score against and found the 'Matty Jack' player that many of us have been screaming for. Last night's performance is a good example, although Hearts are poor upfront they had most of the possession and most of the chances and in games gone by they would have won. Look look at how many corners were successfully defended by us, 12? It might not be pretty at times but steel and resilience are solid foundations to begin the building of a great team and although we may still not possess the creative flair of past teams yet, I believe that will come and we already possess some of the players to do that.

GGTTH

Hibi
04-01-2013, 10:52 AM
In the last few years, I think you'll agree, we have been far too easy to score against. Yet on some occasions we have still fielded strong teams that have won a lot of games and been hard to beat. However, the teams of Mowbray, Collins, Hughes etc. were definately built with one aim in mind, to outscore the opposition. This strategy did work at times but, as we have seen, when the attackers stopped scoring the team would lose. However, Fenlon seems to have given us a reliable goalkeeper , a back four that promises to be very difficult to score against and found the 'Matty Jack' player that many of us have been screaming for. Last night's performance is a good example, although Hearts are poor upfront they had most of the possession and most of the chances and in games gone by they would have won. Look look at how many corners were successfully defended by us, 12? It might not be pretty at times but steel and resilience are solid foundations to begin the building of a great team and although we may still not possess the creative flair of past teams yet, I believe that will come and we already possess some of the players to do that.

GGTTH

Absolutely! Thank god someone else can see it, we've been a soft touch for years, "oh the hibees are gay" they would frequently taunt is with. After last season Fenlon said things had to change, right from the top.

He has since had one transfer window and has first and foremost build a side which is hard to beat. We moaned about not being able to do this for years, now some people seem to be getting upset about our style. I keep hearing how pat doesn't have a plan b, well yes he doesn't currently possess players within the squad to change things. Sproule unfortunately looks past his best and I'm sure he would admit kuqi hasn't cut it, every managers will sign players who don't work out.

Anyway I'm sure Pat would like to build on the spine of his team that he is building and add some pace & flair in the upcoming window. The worry is, does he have to try and replace his 3 loan signings meaning he is just trying to consolidate the progress made or will be be able to build on the start made.

Anyway onwards and upwards.

GGTTH

hibby rae
04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Absolutely! Thank god someone else can see it, we've been a soft touch for years, "oh the hibees are gay" they would frequently taunt is with. After last season Fenlon said things had to change, right from the top.

He has since had one transfer window and has first and foremost build a side which is hard to beat. We moaned about not being able to do this for years, now some people seem to be getting upset about our style. I keep hearing how pat doesn't have a plan b, well yes he doesn't currently possess players within the squad to change things. Sproule unfortunately looks past his best and I'm sure he would admit kuqi hasn't cut it, every managers will sign players who don't work out.

Anyway I'm sure Pat would like to build on the spine of his team that he is building and add some pace & flair in the upcoming window. The worry is, does he have to try and replace his 3 loan signings meaning he is just trying to consolidate the progress made or will be be able to build on the start made.

Anyway onwards and upwards.

GGTTH

The top priority without a doubt this january has to be the 3 loan signings. Anything else is a bonus. Have to be realistic of what is available and affordable in the mid season window.

Ozyhibby
04-01-2013, 11:24 AM
We have a bit to go before we can be called hard to score against.

Kaff
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Agree totally.

There is a thread titled 'Character' by Green Onions highlighting a similar point

millarco
04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Making us difficult to beat is all fine and well, but we make it a lot harder for ourselves by not playing the ball out from the back. Launching the ball as we constantly did last night just gives the possession back to the opposition and invites them to attack. We sit deeper and deeper and just invite pressure. On another day Suttons header goes in, Stevenson knocks in Williams fumble, Holt hits it past McGivern, and we lose.

We may not have a plan B, but I often struggle to see a plan A. Often looks like the tactic is launching the ball up towards Griffiths and hoping he can produce something. We have players that are comfortable on the ball in Taiwo, Claros, Wotherspoon, Cairney and Griffiths, and on the odd occasion that we kept the ball on the deck we created chances (the two Doyle strikes). Stevenson made a noticeable difference when he came on in trying to get on the ball and keep it down, but I thought our midfield were anonymous for most of the game and mainly because they were bypassed by our defence.

Would have rathered we took the game to Hearts last night and played to our strengths. Instead we didn't risk shifting from the 4-5-1 and seemed content to play for a draw. We had nothing to be afraid of last night, this is a very average Hearts team with a makeshift defence, and we didn't ask nearly enough questions of them.

It's a gradual process and we have improved a lot on last season, but that's not to say we can't be critical. Disappointing performance IMO.

bingo70
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
The top priority without a doubt this january has to be the 3 loan signings. Anything else is a bonus. Have to be realistic of what is available and affordable in the mid season window.

2 or 3 weeks ago i'd have agreed but if i'm honest i think if Claros was to go i wouldn't lose any sleep, 2 defensive midfielders in Taiwo and Deegan is enough and if we could replace Claros with a box to box midfielder that could pitch in with a few goals i'd be happy enough.

Agree with the OP though, all good teams start off by becoming hard to beat and although we're not there yet i can see that's what Fenlon is trying to achieve with this current side.

I would hope though that from next season we can start to become a bit more attacking.