PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at football

wearethehibs
04-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Last night when I went to the toilet I came out feeling like I had smoked a full fag. Can smokers not go 2hours or so without 1? Those that done it in the toilets last night are a bunch of selfish twats. It still goes on in the east stand too.

The stewards that see it don't even throw the culprits out, they just tell them to stop. If nothing is done about it they should allow smokers to go out the back of the east at half time and at Tynie they should allow smokers to go to the bit between the turnstiles and the stand.

Im getting sick and tired of having to breath in peoples second hand smoke.

Anyway just a wee rant as its really starting to piss me off

The Voice Of Reason
04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Last night when I went to the toilet I came out feeling like I had smoked a full fag. Can smokers not go 2hours or so without 1? Those that done it in the toilets last night are a bunch of selfish twats. It still goes on in the east stand too.

The stewards that see it don't even throw the culprits out, they just tell them to stop. If nothing is done about it they should allow smokers to go out the back of the east at half time and at Tynie they should allow smokers to go to the bit between the turnstiles and the stand.

Well said sir - I agree with you 100%. :top marks :agree:

Jones28
04-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Second this 100%

lugz
04-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Well said sir - I agree with you 100%. :top marks :agree:

Totally agree, hearts did actually let our fans down to the section between the turnstiles and the steps. Can't see the problem doing it at Easter road.

Scouse Hibee
04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
:agree: Ignorant smokers are the **** of the earth.

Peevemor
04-01-2013, 12:14 PM

You have my sympathy but you should remember that smoking is an addiction. Football matches, especially derbies, can be very stressful and the first thing a smoker will do when stressed is reach for a fag.

I think clubs should do more to accommodate smokers (ie. designate smoking zones) so that everyone can enjoy the match.

Sudds_1
04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
agreed......................

.....mind you the bigger health hazard last night was the sinks - plugged with paper towels and awash with urine. And the floors........awash with god knows what!

If someone actually went in for a sh*te it would be like a breath of fresh air! :greengrin

AgentDaleCooper
04-01-2013, 12:20 PM

:agree: along with self-righteous non-smokers :wink:

lord bunberry
04-01-2013, 12:20 PM

it was pretty pointless smoking in the toilets as there was an area for smoking down the bottom of the stairs where i went at half time

Scouse Hibee
04-01-2013, 12:27 PM

:agree: As opposed to non ignorant smokers :wink:

Sudds_1
04-01-2013, 12:29 PM
:agree: As opposed to non ignorant smokers :wink:

as opposed to ignorant non self righteous non smokers.........oh wait, I'm lost now. :greengrin

JollyGreenGiant
04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Never went to the toilets last night, but it infuriates me that it continues to happen in the FF lower cubicles.

My wee lads are too small to reach the urinals and so we have to wait till the cubicles are free so they can go. But every week a smoker decides to sit in one having a fag whilst my laddies struggle to hold it in, then when they get in they got to put up with a smoke filled cubicle.

The stewards are too scared to get involved.

Written to Hibs about this many times but nothing changes!

TheEastTerrace
04-01-2013, 12:47 PM
The club could consider a designated area for HT perhaps. I was in the East toilets at HT recently and some numpty laid a fag in a bin full of paper hand towels because the stewards had come into the bog to stop the smoking. Also, nothing worse than going into the cubicle after someone's being having a fly fag in there.

--------
04-01-2013, 01:01 PM
The club could consider a designated area for HT perhaps. I was in the East toilets at HT recently and some numpty laid a fag in a bin full of paper hand towels because the stewards had come into the bog to stop the smoking. Also, nothing worse than going into the cubicle after someone's being having a fly fag in there.

Oh yes there is.

Trust me - there is. :rolleyes:

Jamesie
04-01-2013, 01:06 PM

I agree with the original poster's sentiments entirely and if it was left to me then smoking would be illegal in public and something only acceptable in your own home. However I see no reason why the doors of the East couldn't be opened at half time, especially given the main gates are locked during the game and thus nobody could try and sneak into the match.

Peevemor
04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I agree with the original poster's sentiments entirely and if it was left to me then smoking would be illegal in public and something only acceptable in your own home. However I see no reason why the doors of the East couldn't be opened at half time, especially given the main gates are locked during the game and thus nobody could try and sneak into the match.

Eh? I never smoke in my house (or my car) out of consideration for my wife and kids. If I want a smoke I go outside - is that public?

Maybe cars should be banned too then? - exhaust fumes are far more noxious than cigarette smoke.

Stevo1875
04-01-2013, 01:36 PM

I can think of a lot worse that would qualify as "the **** of the earth."

Hibernia Na Eir
04-01-2013, 02:00 PM
its a pet hate of mine too.

iwasthere1972
04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Can fans not go two hours without peeing in the sinks. Disgusting and I wanted to wash my hands. Gave it a miss.

Jay
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Go to the ladies. They are usually empty and always clean in the west at ER. Cant say the same about some other grounds though. Motherwells were disgusting although i didnt see any smoking.

basehibby
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Oh come on - cheer up - it covers up the smell of all the piss and sheight (not to mention the general stench of Gorgie) and as such should be considered a public service :cb

ZS DOOM
04-01-2013, 03:00 PM
And if the smokers weren't in the toilets they would have been less busy so the odds of people pissing in the sinks would have been reduced. If smokers do need there fix during the game then they should buy electronic fags

--------
04-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Go to the ladies. They are usually empty and always clean in the west at ER. Cant say the same about some other grounds though. Motherwells were disgusting although i didnt see any smoking.

Jill, you aren't seriously inviting those guys into the ladies' loos, are you?

You just KNOW they'll all leave the seats up when they're done, don't you?

Not to mention the ones that miss the target ....

If I've got this right - fans aren't allowed to smoke in the stands, in the open air, and will be challenged by the stewards if they do.

So they go into the toilets, an enclosed space, and smoke there, shutting themselves in the stalls and making a general nuisance and health-risk of themselves.

Because there's nowhere they can go legitimately to have a smoke at half-time.

Why doesn't the club have a designated smoking area for smokers to go to at half-time? In the open air, where the wind and rain can punish them for their depravity, maybe where non-smokers can watch them and point at them and make fun of them?

Seriously, why no designated smoking area somehwere at the back of each stand?

(In the South Stand I'd just install a sprinkler system; turn it on at KO and keep it on until the FT whistle sounds would suit me. At least it would giuve the Yams and Weegies a bath once in a while.)

RyeSloan
04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
And if the smokers weren't in the toilets they would have been less busy so the odds of people pissing in the sinks would have been reduced. If smokers do need there fix during the game then they should buy electronic fags

Correct...absolutely nae need to smoke real fags anymore!

Happily spent the Derby cup game at ER getting a nicotine fix whenever required right there in my seat. Steward did come up after about 10 mins to inform that there was no smoking allowed..showed the E-cig, received an apology and that was that :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
04-01-2013, 09:35 PM
I know this is unlikely as it maybe seen to promote the wrong things but if folks gonna do it anyway Hibs should invite these e-cig folkies in to pitch their wares (and charge them for the priv)

monktonharp
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
I agree with the original poster's sentiments entirely and if it was left to me then smoking would be illegal in public and something only acceptable in your own home. However I see no reason why the doors of the East couldn't be opened at half time, especially given the main gates are locked during the game and thus nobody could try and sneak into the match.your statement ins tantamount to "make it illegal to smoke on earth". I am a smoker,not proud of it but cursed with it. I have smoked for nigh on 45 years, and do find it hard to go 2 hours without a fag if I get an urge..however, at a fitba match I contain it at half time/or throughout the match. I do think that a smoking area should be established outside the grounds and feel very annoyed that it cant be. I dont do wacky baccy, snort coke, inject H, but I do like a sterling king size and put another sweary word helleva dosh into the tax system to have the privelidge of hae'n a smoke!!!!!

--------
05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Correct...absolutely nae need to smoke real fags anymore!

Happily spent the Derby cup game at ER getting a nicotine fix whenever required right there in my seat. Steward did come up after about 10 mins to inform that there was no smoking allowed..showed the E-cig, received an apology and that was that :greengrin

Brace yourself - the tobacco companies don't like the e-cig, mainly because it seems it's an effective substitute for the "real thing" but thanks to the entire absence of tar etc carries no cancer risk at all, and are putting pressure on our lords and masters to ban it, or at least make it a lot more difficult to get hold of. It's already illegal in Norway, Denmark and Belgium, and a number of airlines have banned it from their aircraft.

You said it yourself - nae need to smoke real fags anymore. The tobacco barons don't like that.

NAE NOOKIE
05-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Never went to the toilets last night, but it infuriates me that it continues to happen in the FF lower cubicles.

My wee lads are too small to reach the urinals and so we have to wait till the cubicles are free so they can go. But every week a smoker decides to sit in one having a fag whilst my laddies struggle to hold it in, then when they get in they got to put up with a smoke filled cubicle.

The stewards are too scared to get involved.

Written to Hibs about this many times but nothing changes!

I have contacted Hibs many times asking that supporters be allowed out at half time for a fag and been knocked back every time by the club. Considering that these days you either have to have a paper ticket or season ticket to get in I can see no reason that the club cant set up something to let fans in and out at half time. I note that the folk in the posh seats are allowed out at half time for a fag, talk about double standards.

Yes, most smokers can go for a fag for a couple of hours .... but the truth is that if you are spending the last half hour of a game needing a ciggy then it spoils the game for you. I have sneaked a fag at half time in the bogs in the FF and the East and hated doing it, but as someone said its an addiction.

Had my last fag at the end of October by the way

RyeSloan
05-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Brace yourself - the tobacco companies don't like the e-cig, mainly because it seems it's an effective substitute for the "real thing" but thanks to the entire absence of tar etc carries no cancer risk at all, and are putting pressure on our lords and masters to ban it, or at least make it a lot more difficult to get hold of. It's already illegal in Norway, Denmark and Belgium, and a number of airlines have banned it from their aircraft.

You said it yourself - nae need to smoke real fags anymore. The tobacco barons don't like that.

Yeah noticed it was banned in some euro countries...yet tobacco is legal in the self same states, bizarre!

Big tobacco have every right to be scared as the e-cigs I have are way better than normal fags. Interesting to note though that a big US e-cig company was recently purchased by a large tobacco firm and that for the first time in 2 decades or so they launched a TV advertising campaign for 'smoking'.

The thing is though that e-cigs are not smoking and are a millions miles away from burning dried leaves and the thousands of nasty things that contains. sure there needs to be more lab tests to ultimately prove it's safety but vaporising a liquid already deemed safe for foodstuffs which contains nicotine (which in itself is not harmful) surely should be supported as a key step in reducing tobacco related deaths. OK Does not break the dependency on nicotine but if that nicotine can be delivered safely then is it not more similar to people drinking coffee for the caffeine hit than people smoking traditional fags?

JollyGreenGiant
05-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I have contacted Hibs many times asking that supporters be allowed out at half time for a fag and been knocked back every time by the club. Considering that these days you either have to have a paper ticket or season ticket to get in I can see no reason that the club cant set up something to let fans in and out at half time. I note that the folk in the posh seats are allowed out at half time for a fag, talk about double standards.

Yes, most smokers can go for a fag for a couple of hours .... but the truth is that if you are spending the last half hour of a game needing a ciggy then it spoils the game for you. I have sneaked a fag at half time in the bogs in the FF and the East and hated doing it, but as someone said its an addiction.

Had my last fag at the end of October by the way

I get where you are coming from regarding addiction etc, but is it fair that my 3 year old and 6 year old boys are forced to inhale cigarette smoke just because they want to go for a pee? The thing is, I kind of expect this type of thing to happen in the East or when going to away games, but I would have thought there would have been better stewarding in 'supposed' family areas.

And in respect to spoiling the game, I have missed the start of the second half because the only 2 cubicles in the toilets are being used by men who take at least 5 mins to smoke a fag, whilst a queue forms with people who have young kids, anyone who needs a s*it or any other smokers.

No excuse in my opinion, but Hibs need to be doing more to stop this - supposed to be encouraging families etc :rolleyes:

Green Reaper
05-01-2013, 04:23 PM
No' another fag debate! :-)

Hibbyradge
05-01-2013, 04:32 PM
No' another fag debate! :-)

:thumbsup:

The Voice Of Reason
05-01-2013, 07:03 PM
I get where you are coming from regarding addiction etc, but is it fair that my 3 year old and 6 year old boys are forced to inhale cigarette smoke just because they want to go for a pee? The thing is, I kind of expect this type of thing to happen in the East or when going to away games, but I would have thought there would have been better stewarding in 'supposed' family areas.

And in respect to spoiling the game, I have missed the start of the second half because the only 2 cubicles in the toilets are being used by men who take at least 5 mins to smoke a fag, whilst a queue forms with people who have young kids, anyone who needs a s*it or any other smokers.

No excuse in my opinion, but Hibs need to be doing more to stop this - supposed to be encouraging families etc :rolleyes:

Spot on sir - agree 100%.

NAE NOOKIE
06-01-2013, 05:17 PM

Theres the rub though .... As a business Hibs should be doing all the can to make the matchday experience enjoyable for everybody. I dont know what the percentage of smokers is in the average 10,000 crowd at ER, but lets say for arguments sake its about 300 people.

I totally agree with you that the cubicals in the bogs shouldnt be clogged up with some of the 300 trying to sneak an illicit fag and I'm sure that every one of these smokers would say the same.

Perhaps the non smokers would be better employed trying to get some sympathy from Hibs for the poor long suffering addicts out there who are forced ( depending on your point of view ) to break the law in order to get a smoke at half time.

When the East first opened the gates were opened at half time to allow everybody who wanted to buy food and drink out onto Petrie Plaza ..... but of course that was OK then because there was something in it for Hibs. The fact that one gate cant be opened to allow smokers out the back of the East at half time is frankly pathetic from Hibs.

It cant be a health and safety issue because there is already a precedent for it and for much larger numbers than a few smokers ... and during a cat A game to boot. It cant be the cost, because lets face it, the security folk at ER have little or nothing to do and it does not affect their duties at all to have one guy manning a gate at half time. In fact would it not be easier to have one guy on the gate than 6 guys checking the bogs?

If its because Hibs dont want to be seen to encourage people to smoke then sorry ...... It is not the business of Hibernian FC to decide on or pass judgement on the lawful lifestyle choices of its supporters / customers.

Hibernian FC and every other football club are in the entertainment business ..... I cant smoke at the pictures, in the theatre, in the pub, on a bus, in the museum or anywhere else ...... but none of these places lock the door when I go in and tell me that I wont be allowed back in if I want to pop out half way through my visit.

Nobody, but nobody, is trying to make a case for smoking ......... But some people do smoke and all they want is to be treated fairly. A bit of common sense from Hibs and a number of other clubs and this problem would be solved in no time.

Hibrandenburg
06-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Theres the rub though .... As a business Hibs should be doing all the can to make the matchday experience enjoyable for everybody. I dont know what the percentage of smokers is in the average 10,000 crowd at ER, but lets say for arguments sake its about 300 people.

I totally agree with you that the cubicals in the bogs shouldnt be clogged up with some of the 300 trying to sneak an illicit fag and I'm sure that every one of these smokers would say the same.

Perhaps the non smokers would be better employed trying to get some sympathy from Hibs for the poor long suffering addicts out there who are forced ( depending on your point of view ) to break the law in order to get a smoke at half time.

When the East first opened the gates were opened at half time to allow everybody who wanted to buy food and drink out onto Petrie Plaza ..... but of course that was OK then because there was something in it for Hibs. The fact that one gate cant be opened to allow smokers out the back of the East at half time is frankly pathetic from Hibs.

It cant be a health and safety issue because there is already a precedent for it and for much larger numbers than a few smokers ... and during a cat A game to boot. It cant be the cost, because lets face it, the security folk at ER have little or nothing to do and it does not affect their duties at all to have one guy manning a gate at half time. In fact would it not be easier to have one guy on the gate than 6 guys checking the bogs?

If its because Hibs dont want to be seen to encourage people to smoke then sorry ...... It is not the business of Hibernian FC to decide on or pass judgement on the lawful lifestyle choices of its supporters / customers.

Hibernian FC and every other football club are in the entertainment business ..... I cant smoke at the pictures, in the theatre, in the pub, on a bus, in the museum or anywhere else ...... but none of these places lock the door when I go in and tell me that I wont be allowed back in if I want to pop out half way through my visit.

Nobody, but nobody, is trying to make a case for smoking ......... But some people do smoke and all they want is to be treated fairly. A bit of common sense from Hibs and a number of other clubs and this problem would be solved in no time.

10/10

mixumatosis
06-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Hibs are quite happy to promote unhealthy lifestyle choices in kids when they're flogging pizzas and pies to them at a grotesque profit. And the same ( if not more compelling) argument could be levelled at those who can't go 2 hours without saturated fat as was made earlier about smoking.

It's an admirable enough stance to take, but this thread is evidence that the current arrangements don't work for either smokers or non smokers.

Hibby D
06-01-2013, 11:37 PM
We weren't sitting in our usual seats for the Cup game against Hertz and found ourselves sitting beside a couple of (strange looking) youngish guys. One of them lit a fag during the match so I told him to put it out.

He asked me what I was going to do if he didn't and although I was desperate to offer him a square go at full-time I resisted the urge and bravely said "I'll report you".

He called me a ******ing slut and put the fag out :hilarious

BTW as an ex-smoker of some 20 months now :smug: I wholeheartedly support the idea of smokers having somewhere to go at half-time :agree: (especially in Cup games against Hertz!!!!)

Frazerbob
07-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Around 25% of adults in Scotland smoke these days. I'd imagine at the football that % will be marginally higher. Surely Hibs should be taking the very simple steps to ensure the match day experience is better for all by supplying a smoking area and thus allowing circa 4000 fans the chance to enjoy a fag in peace if they so wish and the other 6000 fans to enjoy a pee in peace. It's really is very simple!

hibbill2002
07-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Filthy habit, ban the smokers from Easter Road Hibs!

END OF!

7 years on the 1st of Feb since my last fag ..... am vewy vewy pwoud:greengrin

Winston Ingram
07-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Self-righteous non-smokers only exist when selfish smokers ignore the law:wink:

Winston Ingram
07-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Around 25% of adults in Scotland smoke these days. I'd imagine at the football that % will be marginally higher. Surely Hibs should be taking the very simple steps to ensure the match day experience is better for all by supplying a smoking area and thus allowing circa 4000 fans the chance to enjoy a fag in peace if they so wish and the other 6000 fans to enjoy a pee in peace. It's really is very simple!

I suppose we could knock down half a stand?

--------
07-01-2013, 01:15 PM

Absolutely. :top marks

NAE NOOKIE
07-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Self-righteous non-smokers only exist when selfish smokers ignore the law:wink:

Whoever said the law is an Ass was bang on.

There isnt a smoker out there who would dream of attempting to light up in a public building ( for example a pub ) but the difference is that in pretty well every case its not impossible to pop out for a fag. As far as I can make out its only football clubs who stop folk from having a ciggy.

A law is only any good if it is applied with common sense ..... forcing people into a situation where they feel that breaking a law is worth the risk is a bad way to apply that law. Its worth noting at this point that in 2009 when pushing the idea of a smoking ban the then Chief medical officer of Scotland Harry Burns stated "Tobacco is the most addictive drug"

An example of where the law is applied in a common sense way is on the Motorway ...... If you are a driver and you have ever driven along one of the UKs major motorways you will be aware that if you stick to the legal speed limit of 70mph you will feel that you are going backwards. The truth is that the Police will never stop a driver going over 70mph but under 80mph because if they did they would have to stop about 80% of the cars on the motorway. Instead the Police use common sense and only stop cars well in excess of the limit.

Though ( obviously ) Hibs have nothing to do with the fact that the anti smoking law exists they sure seem hell bent on ensuring that their smoking supporters do not have as enjoyable a matchday experience as their non smoking ones ... the net result being that they put some of their supporters in the position of being law breakers and put other supporters in a position of being inconvenienced by folk lighting up in the bogs.

Nobody is asking Hibs to set up designated smoking areas inside the stadium .... but asking them to let fans out at half time for a fag is not too much to ask in my opinion and Hibs protests that the logistics of such a concession are prohibitive are pure Humbug.

marinello59
07-01-2013, 09:05 PM

There isnt a smoker out there who would dream of attempting to light up in a public building ( for example a pub ) but the difference is that in pretty well every case its not impossible to pop out for a fag. As far as I can make out its only football clubs who stop folk from having a ciggy.A law is only any good if it is applied with common sense ..... forcing people into a situation where they feel that breaking a law is worth the risk is a bad way to apply that law. Its worth noting at this point that in 2009 when pushing the idea of a smoking ban the then Chief medical officer of Scotland Harry Burns stated "Tobacco is the most addictive drug"

An example of where the law is applied in a common sense way is on the Motorway ...... If you are a driver and you have ever driven along one of the UKs major motorways you will be aware that if you stick to the legal speed limit of 70mph you will feel that you are going backwards. The truth is that the Police will never stop a driver going over 70mph but under 80mph because if they did they would have to stop about 80% of the cars on the motorway. Instead the Police use common sense and only stop cars well in excess of the limit.

Though ( obviously ) Hibs have nothing to do with the fact that the anti smoking law exists they sure seem hell bent on ensuring that their smoking supporters do not have as enjoyable a matchday experience as their non smoking ones ... the net result being that they put some of their supporters in the position of being law breakers and put other supporters in a position of being inconvenienced by folk lighting up in the bogs.

Nobody is asking Hibs to set up designated smoking areas inside the stadium .... but asking them to let fans out at half time for a fag is not too much to ask in my opinion and Hibs protests that the logistics of such a concession are prohibitive are pure Humbug.

I think you are overplaying how hard it is to go without a ciggy for a couple of hours. What Harry Burns said about tobacco is mere opinion, how does he judge it. I used to smoke 30 plus a day but two hours would not have been too big an ask to go without one. Smoking in the toilets is simply selfish. Nobody is forcing them to break the law. Does this mean that long flights and train journeys are barred to smokers because they simply can't go without a smoke?
However........if Hibs were to let people out at half time for quick smoke how about charging a couple of quid admin fee to those who wished to partake? That would surely cover any costs involved.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Let the smokers out of the stadium at half time and let us hardened drinkers out to have a quick pint on Easter Road.........................some of us are addicted to alcohol :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
07-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I think you are overplaying how hard it is to go without a ciggy for a couple of hours. What Harry Burns said about tobacco is mere opinion, how does he judge it. I used to smoke 30 plus a day but two hours would not have been too big an ask to go without one. Smoking in the toilets is simply selfish. Nobody is forcing them to break the law. Does this mean that long flights and train journeys are barred to smokers because they simply can't go without a smoke?
However........if Hibs were to let people out at half time for quick smoke how about charging a couple of quid admin fee to those who wished to partake? That would surely cover any costs involved.

Who cares how hard it is or isnt .... nobody ever died for want of a fag, but as an ex smoker you will know as well as I do that any situation lasting more than an hour is less pleasurable for a smoker if he isnt allowed a smoke at some point. My argument is why should the football match experience be made less enjoyable for smokers .... I am not condoning smoking in the bogs ..... I wondered if somebody would bring up the trains planes and automobiles argument ....... The last time I looked Easter Road wasnt hurtling through the stratosphere at 500 miles per hour.

In my opinion it is selfish, not to mention bloody self righteous bollocks to deny a smoker access to a smoking area just because you want to be seen to be standing up for an anti smoking point of view or because you cant be ar5ed to put some simple measures into place. Yes smoking in the bogs is selfish, but then show me an addict who isnt.

But thats the major problem with this whole debate ....... For some non smokers its a debate about the selfish smokers lighting up in the bogs .. for the smokers its about the denial of a simple request to be allowed a fag at half time WITHOUT causing annoyance or inconvinience to non smokers. Perhaps it would be better ( as I said before ) if the folk who are upset by this were to ask the club why they wont do something for their supporters who smoke. And lets face it folk were smoking at football a long time before the ban came into force, its not as if they deliberately strted smoking just to annoy the toilet users at ER.

As for admin costs ... see my previous post on that ... you cant tell me its more expensive to put a G4s guy on one gate in each stand than it is to have about 10 of them checking the bogs every 5 minutes.

This is how it works:

Smoker ..... "Just popping out for a fag mate"

G4s Guy ... " Nae bother, remember you will have to show me your ST or stub from a ticket for todays game to get back in"

Smoker ... "Nae bother mate"

Hell ... what a logistical nightmare.

Anyway ... as I understand it this type of thing works very well for the Prawn Sandwich brigade in the West and has done for some time.

Jack
07-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Hibs don't allow smoking in the stadium and nor should any other club.

The legislation states that the whole football stadium is a no smoking zone.

The area behind the East is part of the stadium. The area behind the West belongs to Norton Park so isn't.

I'm not saying I'm agreeing with it, just saying how it is. In fact don't quiz me about it because I think its stupid too.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Who cares how hard it is or isnt .... nobody ever died for want of a fag, but as an ex smoker you will know as well as I do that any situation lasting more than an hour is less pleasurable for a smoker if he isnt allowed a smoke at some point. My argument is why should the football match experience be made less enjoyable for smokers .... I am not condoning smoking in the bogs ..... I wondered if somebody would bring up the trains planes and automobiles argument ....... The last time I looked Easter Road wasnt hurtling through the stratosphere at 500 miles per hour.

In my opinion it is selfish, not to mention bloody self righteous bollocks to deny a smoker access to a smoking area just because you want to be seen to be standing up for an anti smoking point of view or because you cant be ar5ed to put some simple measures into place. Yes smoking in the bogs is selfish, but then show me an addict who isnt.

But thats the major problem with this whole debate ....... For some non smokers its a debate about the selfish smokers lighting up in the bogs .. for the smokers its about the denial of a simple request to be allowed a fag at half time WITHOUT causing annoyance or inconvinience to non smokers. Perhaps it would be better ( as I said before ) if the folk who are upset by this were to ask the club why they wont do something for their supporters who smoke. And lets face it folk were smoking at football a long time before the ban came into force, its not as if they deliberately strted smoking just to annoy the toilet users at ER.

As for admin costs ... see my previous post on that ... you cant tell me its more expensive to put a G4s guy on one gate in each stand than it is to have about 10 of them checking the bogs every 5 minutes.

This is how it works:

G4s Guy ... " Nae bother, remember you will have to show me your ST or stub from a ticket for todays game to get back in"

Smoker ... "Nae bother mate" Oh wait I can't find my stub, will you remember me? G4s Guy....Er no oh wait a minute you wont get back in without a stub, too many of you to remember

WTF are you being serious ya radge, I've just come out

G4s..........don't swear at me

Anyway ... as I understand it this type of thing works very well for the Prawn Sandwich brigade in the West and has done for some time.

Well it could happen!:greengrin

500miles
07-01-2013, 10:20 PM
And maybe if you can't go an hour and a half without a fag you should just sort your life out. I've held on to a piss for longer.

marinello59
07-01-2013, 10:24 PM

This is how it works:

You are the one who has been stressing that smokers are ADDICTS and therefore smoking in the toilets is totally understandable. Now you are saying it is merely because it is less pleasurable to be without a ciggy for a couple of hours. I am sympathetic to the idea of smokers being allowed in to a designated smokin area at half time but not your argument. It's illegal to smoke in confined spaces because it is a health hazard to others.......to do it regardless IS selfish. As for your suggestion of putting the onus on those who obey the law to demand change, that is quite simply ridiculous.
By the prawn sandwich brigade (and that one is top of my well past it's sell by date sneers) do you mean those using hospitality? I would assume that a relatively small number of punters who have already paid a large premium to cover any costs is quite easily policed. I really have no idea what the current arrangement is though having never done hospitality. If we are talking about hundreds wanting to leave the ground at half time then that will incur a cost. Surely a pound or two per smoker is a small price worth paying. I know I would have gladly paid up when I usd to enjoy a smoke.

Hibrandenburg
07-01-2013, 11:18 PM

There isnt a smoker out there who would dream of attempting to light up in a public building ( for example a pub ) but the difference is that in pretty well every case its not impossible to pop out for a fag. As far as I can make out its only football clubs who stop folk from having a ciggy.

A law is only any good if it is applied with common sense ..... forcing people into a situation where they feel that breaking a law is worth the risk is a bad way to apply that law. Its worth noting at this point that in 2009 when pushing the idea of a smoking ban the then Chief medical officer of Scotland Harry Burns stated "Tobacco is the most addictive drug"

:agree:

Leithenhibby
07-01-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't smoke and find it very selfish when people just light up at the footie anyway :rolleyes:

Please don't think I'm taking the moral high ground as I love a pint :aok: But that ain't going to happen either :wink:

It's the law and needs to be treated as such, a fixed penalty if need be may work! Could put it towards PF transfer fund in the summer :greengrin

Winston Ingram
08-01-2013, 07:52 AM

If the law is an ass what is smoking? Is there anything more stupid than intentionally giving yourself cancer?

The example you use is poor for 2 reasons.

1. There is usually enough room on the motorway to go past people who are doing 70. I doubt there is enough room to accommodate everyone wanting a fag within the stadium.

2. As for speeding you can go a wee bit fast or a wee bit slow, the vast majority of the time you are going to have zero effect on other drivers. Ye can't just a wee bit smoke. It's black and white. You do it the persons around you will suffer.

Letting everyone one out would be a huge security risk. They'd have to open the gates. Letting people back in would be a nightmare. The numbers in/out be far too difficult to police. You'd need bucket loads of staff and by the time everyone was checked there's a good chance we're already 10 minutes into the 2nd half.

As for ensuring smokers have an enjoyable match day experience. It was their choice to smoke. The non-smokers were just born & have a right to breath. There's no discrimination going on here

Winston Ingram
08-01-2013, 07:59 AM

This is how it works:

You're argument would work if there was only a few. You can see however that every time there is a fag debate that there are hundreds if not thousands who would want to take this up.

This all has to be done in 15 mins

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
How difficult is it to let folk out the east stand for a fag at half time, then let them in again? I really dont see the problem here?

I'm a person who has never smoked in my life, but all i see is Hibs creating a problem here that need not exist? :confused:

HibeeMassive
08-01-2013, 09:44 AM
How difficult is it to let folk out the east stand for a fag at half time, then let them in again? I really dont see the problem here?

I'm a person who has never smoked in my life, but all i see is Hibs creating a problem here that need not exist? :confused:

I'm all for this too (as a non-smoker), but if the legislation says the entire ground has to be non-smoking, wouldn't Hibs be breaking the law by allowing this?

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm all for this too (as a non-smoker), but if the legislation says the entire ground has to be non-smoking, wouldn't Hibs be breaking the law by allowing this?

I dont think outside the ground counts here, if it did the club would be breaking the law in the west stand by letting them out there for a fag?

There is no problem here, just let them out FFS?

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 09:56 AM
I went to the theatre in Blackpool last year, only about 3 thousand people at the show, but in the interval they allow folk outside for a fag. It happens at every show, twice a day and no problems seem to occur?:confused:

Leithenhibby
08-01-2013, 10:22 AM

But it wouldn't be just the East Stand, all the others, including the away end would want in on the act!!... "It's a non starter for me. :agree:

I think the local plod would have something to say if this happened, as it would be their responsibility to keep everyone safe!!.. hence, keep them in where we can see them....

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 11:09 AM
But it wouldn't be just the East Stand, all the others, including the away end would want in on the act!!... "It's a non starter for me. :agree:

I think the local plod would have something to say if this happened, as it would be their responsibility to keep everyone safe!!.. hence, keep them in where we can see them....

Again i disagree, :greengrin and to be fair it does not affect me so have no real problem if it does not happen. :wink:

I just dont see the problem, well not one that cant be sorted with the stewards we currently use opening and shutting a door? :confused:

Leithenhibby
08-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Again i disagree, :greengrin and to be fair it does not affect me so have no real problem if it does not happen. :wink:

I just dont see the problem, well not one that cant be sorted with the stewards we currently use opening and shutting a door? :confused:

So do I then :na na:

I don't smoke and HFC have a non-smoking policy! "By Law"... Have a nice day :aok:

heretoday
08-01-2013, 12:04 PM
And maybe if you can't go an hour and a half without a fag you should just sort your life out. I've held on to a piss for longer.

That's the sort of talk I like to hear!

Jack
08-01-2013, 01:16 PM

I dont think outside the ground counts here, if it did the club would be breaking the law in the west stand by letting them out there for a fag?

There is no problem here, just let them out FFS?

:rolleyes:

Hibs don't allow smoking in the stadium and nor should any other club.

The legislation states that the whole football stadium is a no smoking zone.

The area behind the East is part of the stadium. The area behind the West belongs to Norton Park so isn't.

I'm not saying I'm agreeing with it, just saying how it is. In fact don't quiz me about it because I think its stupid too.

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
So do I then :na na:

I don't smoke and HFC have a non-smoking policy! "By Law"... Have a nice day :aok:

:greengrin Yip a law they completely ignore in the west stand. :na na:

marinello59
08-01-2013, 01:38 PM

No they don't.

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Sometimes, just sometimes I wish they would open the gates and let me out for ten minutes......................to get a break from the game! Asking supporters to go 45 minutes without a break from it is just plain cruel.

Frazerbob
08-01-2013, 02:09 PM

It doesn't. It is an SPL rule that all stadiums are non-smoking. The law prevents smoking in enclosed spaces. That would cover the concourses but not the actual stands.

Anyway, the solution being put forward by many invoolves a completely open air area OUTSIDE the stadium. Completely legal and completely within the SPL rule. It really is a no brainer IMO.

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 02:11 PM
No they don't.

I was under the impression they let the hospitality folk out for a fag at half time? :confused:

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2013, 02:14 PM
It doesn't. It is an SPL rule that all stadiums are non-smoking. The law prevents smoking in enclosed spaces. That would cover the concourses but not the actual stands.

Anyway, the solution being put forward by many invoolves a completely open air area OUTSIDE the stadium. Completely legal and completely within the SPL rule. It really is a no brainer IMO.

Is it not 50% enclosed spaces or more where the law prevents you from smoking?

Frazerbob
08-01-2013, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure how it's termed but I beleive it's 75%. That's why the various sheltersand awnings built by pubs are legal, as are most bus stops. As long as they have one side open I think.

Winston Ingram
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM

With all that room outside each stand:confused:, and the cost build the walls in the imaginary space - yep, no brainer:thumbsup:

Winston Ingram
08-01-2013, 02:28 PM

i think it is 50%. IIRC my old work built a smoking shelter in the outside car park. They were only allowed 2 sides. Also most sheltered bus stops have 3 sides and yer no allowed to smoke in them:agree:

Keith_M
08-01-2013, 02:39 PM
FWIW, my humble opinion as a non-smoker is that people can smoke if they want as long as it doesn't affect anyone else.

If, for instance, at ynecastle they let people smoke in the open area at the bottom of the stairs, I don't see a problem. If Hibs decided to let people out the back of the East stand at half-time, also not a problem.

If people want to smoke in an enclosed or semi-enclosed area that others have no choice but to be in, I'd take issue with that.

Oh and can we please stop with the "(whatever)-fascist". If you have to use that term, it just proves you're too stupid to come up with a reasoned argument.

marinello59
08-01-2013, 02:42 PM

The stands at Easter road do count as an enclosed space under the legislation. It would not apply to other grounds. Inverness springs to mind, they enforce the no smoking rule at the empty side of the ground, that is madness. I think the blanket ban in all stadiums is an SPL or SFA ruling rather than a legal ban.

marinello59
08-01-2013, 02:45 PM
I was under the impression they let the hospitality folk out for a fag at half time? :confused:

Oh you said the West Stand......you meant the tiny minority who frequent hospitality.? I have no idea having never been in there. Just not my scene man.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Oh you said the West Stand......you meant the tiny minority who frequent hospitality.? I have no idea having never been in there. Just not my scene man.:greengrin

Is hospitality not in the west stand? :wink:

marinello59
08-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Is hospitality not in the west stand? :wink:

Aye but it ain't the West Stand. Us trash have to stay in the concourse at half time. :na na:

Just Alf
08-01-2013, 02:56 PM
We used an old bus shelter and were deemed in breach of the legislation.

Was a while ago but I'm sure it came down to
roof and one wall = ok
Roof and one wall plus even a wee bit of another = not ok

There was a LOT of discussion about it and the basic premise was walls hemmed you in so you can't move away from the smoke ( or even the smoker move away from the non smokers). A seated stadium would of course make it worse..... Then again you can still smoke in beer gardens can't you? No roof but walls/hedges stopping people spreading out!

Oh well .....

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2013, 03:05 PM
More pampered nanny state mollycoddling tosh from the precious luvies who don't like a little smoke blown into their lungs at football! It's thanks to you people that I can no longer hurl lumps of jagged concrete across no-man's land at opposition fans, nor urinate against the back of your legs while raucously abusing homosexuals and people of colour. And now you want to take away this one basic freedom which makes attendance at football worthwhile!?!

Well, you've won.

I won't be back.

I hope you're damn well satisfied!

And it's no good pleading, begging me to stay, saying 'Bob, come back, we didn't mean it, we love your husky voice and the thick, earthy aroma of your burning faeces breath, and the way that odour clings to your hair and clothes and insinuates itself on ours...' All this is utterly futile. The damage has been done!

No, you'll find me at Tynecastle, with real, unreconstructed, old school macho fans...having a bake off and a cake sale.

Keith_M
08-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Defo wrong, sorry. The law is that if a public area is at least 50% enclosed, it is illegal to smoke. Some clubs have extended that rule where it wouldn't otherwise apply (e.g. ICT) but the seating areas at ER are completely covered by the law.

What I personally thought was stupid is that smoking wasn't allowed at the concourse at the back of the old East Stand. This was not covered by regulation and, because it was an open area, I don't see how it could bother anyone.

Just Alf
08-01-2013, 03:08 PM
More pampered nanny state mollycoddling tosh from the precious luvies who don't like a little smoke blown into their lungs at football! It's thanks to you people that I can no longer hurl lumps of jagged concrete across no-man's land at opposition fans, nor urinate against the back of your legs while raucously abusing homosexuals and people of colour. And now you want to take away this one basic freedom which makes attendance at football worthwhile!?!

Well, you've won.

I won't be back.

And it's no good pleading, begging me to stay, saying 'Bob, come back, we didn't mean it, we love your husky voice and the thick, earthy aroma of your burning faeces breath, and the way that odour clings to your hair and clothes and insinuates itself on ours...' All this is utterly futile. The damage has been done!

No, you'll find me at Tynecastle, with real, unreconstructed, old school macho fans...having a bake off and a cake sale.

Do you do scones by any chance? Sniff!

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Well, you've won.

I won't be back.

:top marks:top marks :faf::faf:

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure how it's termed but I beleive it's 75%. That's why the various sheltersand awnings built by pubs are legal, as are most bus stops. As long as they have one side open I think.

Not in my experience, the three sided bus stops along my route (Glasgow Road) have signs displayed stating that smoking is illegal.

The_Sauz
08-01-2013, 04:01 PM
If the law is an ass what is smoking? Is there anything more stupid than intentionally giving yourself cancer?

The example you use is poor for 2 reasons.

1. There is usually enough room on the motorway to go past people who are doing 70. I doubt there is enough room to accommodate everyone wanting a fag within the stadium.

2. As for speeding you can go a wee bit fast or a wee bit slow, the vast majority of the time you are going to have zero effect on other drivers. Ye can't just a wee bit smoke. It's black and white. You do it the persons around you will suffer.

Letting everyone one out would be a huge security risk. They'd have to open the gates. Letting people back in would be a nightmare. The numbers in/out be far too difficult to police. You'd need bucket loads of staff and by the time everyone was checked there's a good chance we're already 10 minutes into the 2nd half.

As for ensuring smokers have an enjoyable match day experience. It was their choice to smoke. The non-smokers were just born & have a right to breath. There's no discrimination going on here

You should retract that statement, as you clearly don't know what you are talking about!
Everybody has cancer....it's part of your DNA! It's what triggers it off that matters. Do you blame smokers for giving non-smoking females breast cancer, and what about my Granny and her sister, both died from throat cancer! yet neither smoked nor drank a day in their life's.
The same goes to John Kennedy Jnr, who lost part of his leg due to cancer..........after being hit on the leg at an American football collage game!

Smoking does increase your chances of LUNG CANCER, but studies have also shown that drinking can cause a form of throat cancer! yet we don't see a major campaign to ban alcohol.

p.s. Did you know there are more alcohol related deaths a year, than smoking!:wink:

The_Sauz
08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Not in my experience, the three sided bus stops along my route (Glasgow Road) have signs displayed stating that smoking is illegal.
Smoking is banned from all bus stops, no matter if it has 3/2 doorways or even open faced, it is still illegal! In Broxburn main street they are all open faced BS, yet you can stand at the side of them and have a smoke:confused:

StevieC
08-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Smoking does increase your chances of LUNG CANCER, but studies have also shown that drinking can cause a form of throat cancer! yet we don't see a major campaign to ban alcohol.

Passive drinking at the football .. now I'd back that 100%.

The idea that the guy sitting beside you is duty bound to open an extra can of lager, and force you to drink it against your will if he feels like a can himself, sounds like a health risk I'd be willing to take. :greengrin

The_Sauz
08-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Passive drinking at the football .. now I'd back that 100%.

The idea that the guy sitting beside you is duty bound to open an extra can of lager, and force you to drink it against your will if he feels like a can himself, sounds like a health risk I'd be willing to take. :greengrin

If the government insists on putting health warnings on too much smoking & drinking, then why are they not putting one on Hibernian Football club, as the will drive you to both evils :greengrin

Winston Ingram
08-01-2013, 04:47 PM
You should retract that statement, as you clearly don't know what you are talking about!
Everybody has cancer....it's part of your DNA! It's what triggers it off that matters. Do you blame smokers for giving non-smoking females breast cancer, and what about my Granny and her sister, both died from throat cancer! yet neither smoked nor drank a day in their life's.
The same goes to John Kennedy Jnr, who lost part of his leg due to cancer..........after being hit on the leg at an American football collage game!

p.s. Did you know there are more alcohol related deaths a year, than smoking!:wink:

why? did i say it was the only source of cancer?

Leithenhibby
08-01-2013, 07:04 PM

No they don't.

Looking like this thread will be over soon ............... :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2013, 07:45 PM
We weren't sitting in our usual seats for the Cup game against Hertz and found ourselves sitting beside a couple of (strange looking) youngish guys. One of them lit a fag during the match so I told him to put it out.

He asked me what I was going to do if he didn't and although I was desperate to offer him a square go at full-time I resisted the urge and bravely said "I'll report you".

He called me a ******ing slut and put the fag out :hilarious

BTW as an ex-smoker of some 20 months now :smug: I wholeheartedly support the idea of smokers having somewhere to go at half-time :agree: (especially in Cup games against Hertz!!!!)

It was nice to meet you... :aok:

WhileTheChief..
08-01-2013, 09:18 PM
When the new East first opened the club were happy to let the fans out at half time as the food kiosks were burger type vans.

No problems for the stewards then. They had the doors open towards the South stand and a big strip of tape to stop folk wandering down towards the main exits. Folk went out, had a fag, bought a pie and came back in.

No one had to show ticket stubs or anything, it was just plain old common sense.

So what's the difference now? Oh aye, Hibs get our cash from inside the stadium.

NAE NOOKIE
08-01-2013, 11:19 PM
When the new East first opened the club were happy to let the fans out at half time as the food kiosks were burger type vans.

No problems for the stewards then. They had the doors open towards the South stand and a big strip of tape to stop folk wandering down towards the main exits. Folk went out, had a fag, bought a pie and came back in.

No one had to show ticket stubs or anything, it was just plain old common sense.

So what's the difference now? Oh aye, Hibs get our cash from inside the stadium.

Bang on mate.

Its OK to do stuff Hibs tell smokers cant be done so long as it suits Hibs to do it. I was told by a security guy outside the West Stand that its common practice to allow folk paying for hospitality outside for a fag. Logistics aside, thats treating one set of supporters differently from others, so that blows away any pretence of promoting a healthy lifestyle as a reason for not letting folk out for a fag. So much for the Hibernian family ... in what family is one member treated better than another.

ER is a no smoking stadium within the stands and concourses because these structures are prohibited areas for smoking within the law because of their dimensions. The areas outwith the structures are not prohibited for smoking within the legislation because they are open spaces.

There seems to be some folk on here adding to this debate as if the argument being put forward was in support of smoking within the ground .. or at least in the bogs ... Its not. The argument here is only about the club allowing folk out for a fag ... human nature being the way it is some folk will ignore the law and have a fag withing the stadium, thats just the way it is .... its wrong and selfish, nobody is saying its not, but this isnt what the argument is about.

Having said that its amazing the number of folk who seem dead against letting smokers out for a fag, even though it will have no affect one way or another on their matchday experience and in fact will improve it because you wont have folk sneaking fags in the bogs any more.

It would appear that its not only the smokers who can be petty and selfish.

Oh and when I was smoking I would happily have paid an extra fiver or so for a smoking ST which lets me out for a fag at half time. Even though I seriously doubt letting folk out for a fag would involve any extra cost for the club.

Peevemor
09-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Bang on mate.

Its OK to do stuff Hibs tell smokers cant be done so long as it suits Hibs to do it. I was told by a security guy outside the West Stand that its common practice to allow folk paying for hospitality outside for a fag. Logistics aside, thats treating one set of supporters differently from others, so that blows away any pretence of promoting a healthy lifestyle as a reason for not letting folk out for a fag. So much for the Hibernian family ... in what family is one member treated better than another.

ER is a no smoking stadium within the stands and concourses because these structures are prohibited areas for smoking within the law because of their dimensions. The areas outwith the structures are not prohibited for smoking within the legislation because they are open spaces.

There seems to be some folk on here adding to this debate as if the argument being put forward was in support of smoking within the ground .. or at least in the bogs ... Its not. The argument here is only about the club allowing folk out for a fag ... human nature being the way it is some folk will ignore the law and have a fag withing the stadium, thats just the way it is .... its wrong and selfish, nobody is saying its not, but this isnt what the argument is about.

Having said that its amazing the number of folk who seem dead against letting smokers out for a fag, even though it will have no affect one way or another on their matchday experience and in fact will improve it because you wont have folk sneaking fags in the bogs any more.

It would appear that its not only the smokers who can be petty and selfish.

Oh and when I was smoking I would happily have paid an extra fiver or so for a smoking ST which lets me out for a fag at half time. Even though I seriously doubt letting folk out for a fag would involve any extra cost for the club.

:agree:

Phil MaGlass
09-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Dont understand why folk cannae go 2 hrs without a smoke???? My local club has 11,000 supporters and when I go to the bogs, which are f,n great bogs by the way,(clean and tiled up in the clubs colours) theres nobody smoking or hogging the cubicles for 5min smokes.
Instead of having big doors on the cubicles at ER maybe they should have doors which are cut off at the top and bottom, that way stewards/police can see if someone is smoking in them?
Its 2013, smoking is really unacceptable in any public place where there are gatherings,especially if there are children involved.