PDA

View Full Version : "The Gorgie Billy Boys"

Elephant Stone
04-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Why anyone would want to sing about being up to their knees in "Fenian blood" in the 21st century is beyond me but you've got to wonder why Hearts seem to get away with this time and time again. Time for the SFA to grow a backbone.

In the meantime, you stay classy Hearts.

greenlex
04-01-2013, 12:19 AM
:agree: Loud and clear.

Pete
04-01-2013, 12:23 AM
I heard it twice...along with their homophobic stuff.

They're breaking the law and should be brought to task.

Lowest of the low.

matty_f
04-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Facebook and twitter's full of outrage at one boy out of thousands of fans doing something bad.

Irony doesn't show on a maroon jersey.

Capt Mainwaring
04-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Their bigoted p@sh is never too far from the surface.

I often wondered what the Catholics in their support make of this type of 19th century intolerant bigotry.

Heart and Soul of Edinburgh of course :rolleyes:

Miguel
04-01-2013, 12:31 AM
What can you say? Huns without bus tickets...

Russ
04-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Their bigoted p@sh is never too far from the surface.

I often wondered what the Catholics in their support make of this type of 19th century intolerant bigotry.

Heart and Soul of Edinburgh of course :rolleyes:
ps fenian does NOT mean a catholic. not that am sticking up for the illiterate **** who think it does, am jist sayin

Jim44
04-01-2013, 01:03 AM
I've asked Catholic Jambos about the Hun leaning of their support and the general reply is that the 'football' thing is more important than the 'religious' thing and so they tolerate it and strangely often support it. Take what you want out of that.

Nailrod
04-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Best response:
(to the tune of "We'll support you evermore")

You're too cheap to
You're too cheap to
You're too cheap to be real Huns...

MartinfaePorty
04-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Unfortunately, whilst I thought the atmosphere in our end was fantastic, particularly in the 1st half and the last 10-15 minutes, the guy behind us sullied it by shouting 'get into these Prodestant b******s' on a number of occasions. There are idiots in our support also, especially where drink has been consumed!

JohnStephens91
04-01-2013, 03:24 AM
Hearts fans are anuses and they constantly spout rancid sectarian bull****. All of them are total tramps when they don the colour of maroon and enter the asbestos riddled stadium. Hate them with a passion. **** club and **** fans, both as classless as each other.

Hibernia Na Eir
04-01-2013, 02:08 PM
have no fear.....soon that smelly outfit will be "Up to their Knees in Worms", that's what comes after death.

1874-2013, classless and a pathetic tradition.:agree:

Hibercelona
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
The irony in it all is that they started belting out this bile after all their drivel about us being plastic paddy's.

They always seem to find a new level of idiocy. It doesn't matter how thick they currently are, they'll find a way to be even more stupid next time.

Calling us all "******s" as well. Classy stuff.

Diclonius
04-01-2013, 03:21 PM
We didn't help by bringing our obligatory tricolour to Tynecastle. I swear, it's the same band of idiots that do it every time and it's embarrassing.

Big Frank
04-01-2013, 03:23 PM
We didn't help by bringing our obligatory tricolour to Tynecastle. I swear, it's the same band of idiots that do it every time and it's ****ing embarrassing.

oh FFS

Hibercelona
04-01-2013, 03:27 PM
We didn't help by bringing our obligatory tricolour to Tynecastle. I swear, it's the same band of idiots that do it every time and it's ****ing embarrassing.

How can you compare sectarian singing to somebody bringing an Irish flag to the game? :confused:

Has it not occurred to you that some of our fans happen to be Irish?

Diclonius
04-01-2013, 03:31 PM
How can you compare sectarian singing to somebody bringing an Irish flag to the game? :confused:

Has it not occurred to you that some of our fans happen to be Irish?

It isn't the flag that bothers me - I'm part Irish myself. It's the fact that it was brought solely to wind up the Hearts fans. I can't remember any time when I've been at an away game that we've brought a tricolour - except at Tynecastle. We have one at Easter Road way back in the FF and I've no problems with that - it's the context by which it is used at Hearts that bothers me.

hibsbollah
04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm getting that deja vu feeling:rolleyes:

Silversand
04-01-2013, 03:36 PM
:timebomb:

Kato
04-01-2013, 03:37 PM
It isn't the flag that bothers me - I'm part Irish myself. It's the fact that it was brought solely to wind up the Hearts fans. I can't remember any time when I've been at an away game that we've brought a tricolour - except at Tynecastle. We have one at Easter Road way back in the FF and I've no problems with that - it's the context by which it is used at Hearts that bothers me.

Why let it bother you? I like it when the sing their sectarian pesh, let's everyone see who the bigots are. Banning those songs at the football gets rid of a useful tool in exposing the brain dead. A National flag, on the other hand, is pretty neutral for even those looking to take offence.

Hibercelona
04-01-2013, 03:39 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you that sometimes flags are used to wind up opposition fans. But what I don't understand is why a countries flag would wind up people in the first place.

People seem to get so worked up over the British & Irish flags, when it's really not a big deal at all.

If somebody is getting all hot and bothered over another countries flag, doesn't that make them a bigot?

Keith_M
04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
:eek:

Flag Debate!!!

:duck:

Pretty Boy
04-01-2013, 04:01 PM
We're Celtic in disguise though!

Pete
04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Club with Irish roots supported by people with Irish heritage has Irish flags in its end.

I'm outraged. Call the paper!

Diclonius
04-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Okay, maybe it was a bit of an overreaction. We certainly have more grounds to fly a tricolour than they do a Union Jack. :greengrin However, I feel the harp as opposed to the Irish flag is far more symbolic with our club, and I'd much rather see them.
Would the same people who brought the tricolour to Tynecastle bring it to Celtic Park? :confused:

Judas Iscariot
04-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Oh my

.Sean.
04-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Club with Irish roots supported by people with Irish heritage has Irish flags in its end.

I'm outraged. Call the paper!To balance this out, I reckon folk would be pretty unhappy if, say for arguments sake, I had taken a Union flag to the game? After all, I consider myself British and Hibs play on British soil, like it or not.

As far as I'm aware (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) the tricolour wasn't even the Irish flag when the club was born, the gold harp on the green background was.

superfurryhibby
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM

Irish players and an Irish manager too. Only in Scotland (well Northern Ireland as well, I guess)

On Brokeback, which I rarely traverse, there are Hearts fans who even object to teams with St in their names. They are a tainted by their dirty bigotry and, as other posters have highlighted, itīs mostly ignored by the media.

superfurryhibby
04-01-2013, 05:02 PM
To balance this out, I reckon folk would be pretty unhappy if, say for arguments sake, I had taken a Union flag to the game? After all, I consider myself British and Hibs play on British soil, like it or not.

As far as I'm aware (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) the tricolour wasn't even the Irish flag when the club was born, the gold harp on the green background was.

Ireland was under British occupation when Hibernian were founded. As for being British, Iīm not sure many folk can actually define what that means anymore.

There was a trend for Union flags in Green and Black at ER for a while. Not my cup of tea but each to their own

IWasThere2016
04-01-2013, 05:13 PM
****bags - on a par with the cancerous OF :agree:

Sergey
04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
They're not sectarian, I'm telling you. :fibber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nf3BQ4kGRE

HibeeHendo
04-01-2013, 05:25 PM
They're not sectarian, I'm telling you. :fibber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nf3BQ4kGRE

Cringeworthy.

whiskyhibby
04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately, whilst I thought the atmosphere in our end was fantastic, particularly in the 1st half and the last 10-15 minutes, the guy behind us sullied it by shouting 'get into these Prodestant b******s' on a number of occasions. There are idiots in our support also, especially where drink has been consumed!

Must admit I didn't hear any chants like that, which seats were you in ?

What I did see thought was some real Munter in the main stand lower, next to the Roseburn, with a couple of sprogs, one of which (about 8 years old I guess) was waving the Union Jack to the Hibs fans for 20 minutes up until kick-off

LeighLoyal
04-01-2013, 05:40 PM
An inbred element of them will always be bigoted to the core and as bad as any newco hun. A minority I'd say, unlike the newco hun.

Beefster
04-01-2013, 05:48 PM
ps fenian does NOT mean a catholic.

It might not technically mean 'catholic' but that's exactly what those inbreds mean when they sing it.

NOLA
04-01-2013, 06:23 PM
We didn't help by bringing our obligatory tricolour to Tynecastle. I swear, it's the same band of idiots that do it every time and it's embarrassing.

here we go :rolleyes:

Monts
04-01-2013, 06:26 PM
To balance this out, I reckon folk would be pretty unhappy if, say for arguments sake, I had taken a Union flag to the game? After all, I consider myself British and Hibs play on British soil, like it or not.

Both excellent points :agree:

WeAreHibs
04-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Same posts after every derby.

Let's just accept that we're "different" ;)

Sylar
04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
10 pager and 2 bans :agree:

Hamish
04-01-2013, 06:32 PM
here we go :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqIDFjBNhQ

superfurryhibby
04-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Both excellent points :agree:

Unfortunately the second point is completely incorrect.

Monts
04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately the second point is completely incorrect.

Not according to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flags_of_Ireland

SouthamptonHibs
04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Same posts after every derby.

Let's just accept that we're "different" ;)

Agree with this. We r Hibs they are Yams. I don't mind what anyone sings or shouts at fitbaw it's only words. Folk get to worked up about nothing. Hibs fans were in good voice Hail Hail

Monts
04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Agree with this. We r Hibs they are Yams. I don't mind what anyone sings or shouts at fitbaw it's only words. Folk get to worked up about nothing. Hibs fans were in good voice Hail Hail

So racist chants would be fine then? :dunno:

bigwheel
04-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm loathed to get involved in a flag debate ...but hey....

Firstly , we are a team proud of our Irish Heritage - so why not an Irish Flag ?

More realistically , it was there to wind up the opposition - and I'm sure it did ! That's football banter !

SouthamptonHibs
04-01-2013, 06:43 PM
So racist chants would be fine then? :dunno:

Boring topic. was there racist chants at last night's game?

Monts
04-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Boring topic. was there racist chants at last night's game?

I hope not, but according to your logic, it would only be words, so fair game.

Pete
04-01-2013, 06:52 PM

On your first point, I think the red white and blue would be too much. The green one would be fine I reckon. What nationality you consider yourself is entirely your choice and Hibernian is genuinely a place for all...but symbols that the opposition use to try and wind us up wouldn't go down well.

Rangers and hearts fans use this "this is Britain" and "that's a foreign flag" argument against people flying the tricolor but they're basing this on land boundaries and not taking people's background and historic culture into consideration. Some people consider themselves Celtic (with a k) rather than British as their family trees spread into the Irish republic. Maybe some people should do some research then they will actually appreciate how many people came to Scotland from Ireland.

hibbybrian

:greengrin

SouthamptonHibs
I hope not, but according to your logic, it would only be words, so fair game.

In general no harm done its only words. Not interested in what other folk chant or sing doesn't spoil the game for me. Can't understand why folk get so worked up words? He sang that, they said that, this person called me a name. Worse than a woman's sewing circle IMO. It's all about the football

superfurryhibby
04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Not according to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flags_of_Ireland

The point I was making was in reference to the above. The Harp has never been the Irish flag and technically Ireland didnīt exist until nearly fifty years after Hibs were formed. If you read Wikipedia more carefully it will tell you the Harp was the flag of the Irish confederacy, a political movement that existed hundreds of years before the formation of the Irish state.

superfurryhibby
04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
On your first point, I think the red white and blue would be too much. The green one would be fine I reckon. What nationality you consider yourself is entirely your choice and Hibernian is genuinely a place for all...but symbols that the opposition use to try and wind us up wouldn't go down well.

Rangers and hearts fans use this "this is Britain" and "that's a foreign flag" argument against people flying the tricolor but they're basing this on land boundaries and not taking people's background and historic culture into consideration. Some people consider themselves Celtic (with a k) rather than British as their family trees spread into the Irish republic. Maybe some people should do some research then they will actually appreciate how many people came to Scotland from Ireland.

Good points Peter. What amazes me is that there are people on this forum (albeit just the odd rogue or two) with an anti Irish agenda who say they support Hibs, albeit that they lack the baws to just come out and say it.

Horse
04-01-2013, 08:13 PM

My wife and daughter are both Irish and follow Hibs - would it be wrong for them to bring a tricolour to the game? They don't bring tricolours to the game as like me, they are not overly patriotic however it would be difficult to argue against them bringing one in the same way it would be difficult to argue against say a Spaniard Hibby bringing a Spanish flag to the game.

National flags at matches don't bother me but I don't do it myself - as Ian Brown once said "it aint where you're from, it's where you're at".

Pedantic_Hibee
04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
My wife and daughter are both Irish and follow Hibs - would it be wrong for them to bring a tricolour to the game? They don't bring tricolours to the game as like me, they are not overly patriotic however it would be difficult to argue against them bringing one in the same way it would be difficult to argue against say a Spaniard Hibby bringing a Spanish flag to the game.

National flags at matches don't bother me but I don't do it myself - as Ian Brown once said "it aint where you're from, it's where you're at".

This post made me think of Makalambay....

Bostonhibby
04-01-2013, 10:31 PM
They are more to be pitied than scorned. Isn't singing about a camp dead guy who wears an enormous wig and poses on a large white pony not at least a step up from being managed by one convicted sex offender and sheltering another one? At least King Willy seems to be an adult?

I seriously doubt many of them know who he is or what the historical position is - they have a deep seated desire to be like their cousins from the west and its getting closer.

Makaveli
04-01-2013, 10:43 PM
These muppets say we go on about 1973 yet they're stuck in 1690.

Hearts logic. :jamboclow

One Day Soon
04-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Would a Northern Ireland (or Ulster) flag be ok? Are we allowed a green and white version of the EU flag? I don't think we spend enough time discussing flags really.

Geo_1875
04-01-2013, 11:01 PM

The point I was making was in reference to the above. The Harp has never been the Irish flag and technically Ireland didnīt exist until nearly fifty years after Hibs were formed. If you read Wikipedia more carefully it will tell you the Harp was the flag of the Irish confederacy, a political movement that existed hundreds of years before the formation of the Irish state.

Do you mean the Republic or Ireland in general cause I'm sure I read about it in history books.

gillythehibby
04-01-2013, 11:04 PM

What's your point? There's always a Tri-colour at easter road and no reason to be ashamed of that. We should still fly it above ER as we used to.

Devilstorment
04-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Why let it bother you? I like it when the sing their sectarian pesh, let's everyone see who the bigots are. Banning those songs at the football gets rid of a useful tool in exposing the brain dead. A National flag, on the other hand, is pretty neutral for even those looking to take offence.

... was it the swiss flag?!?!

........ I'll get my coat

monktonharp
05-01-2013, 12:01 AM

The point I was making was in reference to the above. The Harp has never been the Irish flag and technically Ireland didnīt exist until nearly fifty years after Hibs were formed. If you read Wikipedia more carefully it will tell you the Harp was the flag of the Irish confederacy, a political movement that existed hundreds of years before the formation of the Irish state.right then, Ireland didnae actually exist until aboot 70 years ago . you need tae get back to school, pronto.

monktonharp
05-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Ireland, a small country, placed nearby another small country , and they've been there for sweary word ages. seperated by a small ocean called the Irish sea. the people of the smaller of the two small countries, tended to speak an Irish language, mainly until the bigger of the two small countries decided that the smaller of the two small countries ,should be part of the bigger of the two small countries.after that,some people of the bigger of the two small countries thought that the people of the smaller of the two small countries must agree to the rules......set by the bigger of the two countries. some of the people from the smaller of the two countries disagreed. Wikepedia have yet to add this to their reasoning.

Sir David Gray
05-01-2013, 12:16 AM
right then, Ireland didnae actually exist until aboot 70 years ago . you need tae get back to school, pronto.

I think what he's referring to is the fact that the Republic of Ireland was not an independent nation until 1922, which was nearly 50 years after Hibs were founded, which is what he said in his last post.

monktonharp
05-01-2013, 12:19 AM
I think what he's referring to is the fact that the Republic of Ireland was not an independent nation until 1922, which was nearly 50 years after Hibs were founded, which is what he said in his last post.no, technically, (his words not mine) was that Ireland did not exist. do be correct

superfurryhibby
05-01-2013, 08:59 AM
no, technically, (his words not mine) was that Ireland did not exist. do be correct

Technically, I donīt think you bothered to read what I said and what I was responding to. I think itīs you who needs some extra schooling.

Beefster
05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
no, technically, (his words not mine) was that Ireland did not exist. do be correct

Technically, if I say I'm starving, I'm not actually physically starving. Sometimes you have to ignore the 'technical' and read/listen to what someone actually means.

Hibernia Na Eir
05-01-2013, 10:24 AM

dear oh dear. im afraid you are embarrassingly wrong on your accounts of your Irish lesson. Go and have another look before your poor keyboard lecture.
It's actually so bizarre, I've let others have a look.
A quite pathetic post!

Hibernia Na Eir
05-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Technically, I donīt think you bothered to read what I said and what I was responding to. I think itīs you who needs some extra schooling.

Technically, I read what he read too - and its still incorrect and, frankly, bollox.

superfurryhibby
05-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Technically, I read what he read too - and its still incorrect and, frankly, bollox.

The first part of the post was me quoting what another poster said. Unfortunately, I donīt know how to do the double highlight thing.

Are you disputing that Ireland was given independence in 1922 and then adpoted the Tricolour as itīs flag then or that the Irish Confederacy was active in the 17th century. I was making the point that technically there was no nation state when Hibs were formed in response to a poster banging on about union flags.

Did you read the thread or just jump in without bothering to look at the context?

Topographic Hibby
05-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Isn't it common for supporters at some cubs to display flags of some of their non-Scots players as a means of support/solidarity/friendship etc?

So as a mark of support for Fenlon, LOB, McPake, Clancy, Sproule, Doyle & McGivern etc, can someone knock-up a ROI and NI flag stitched together? That would send a few folks here and in the other place into a tailspin. Could be fun to watch them wriggle & squirm.

Sec43 banner idea - a big "internationalist" banner with the flags of all the current Hibs squad shown?

TH

Monts
05-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Surely the point being made is that the founders of hibs would never have used the tricolour.

spike220
05-01-2013, 10:50 AM
The one thing I really don’t get is the whole Catholic/Protestant bigotry. Can the people who feel so strongly about hating the other actually have a clue what the key theological differences are between these faiths? Don’t they know they are both Christian denominations and as soon as they start hating the other the other they actually undermining the religion they think they espouse and so by default are neither!

I never understood this, what has it got to do with anything this day in age let alone a game of fitball?

superfurryhibby
05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
The one thing I really don’t get is the whole Catholic/Protestant bigotry. Can the people who feel so strongly about hating the other actually have a clue what the key theological differences are between these faiths? Don’t they know they are both Christian denominations and as soon as they start hating the other the other they actually undermining the religion they think they espouse and so by default are neither!

I never understood this, what has it got to do with anything this day in age let alone a game of fitball?

Most bigots have probably never seen the inside of a church since they were forced to go in primary school.

As for what itīs got to do with football, S.F.A, but it has made the Old Firm loadsae money for over a century.

Chuck Rhoades
05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
A large surfer with 'Leith Republicans' on it and James Connolly's face in the middle would look good at ER?

Hibernia Na Eir
05-01-2013, 12:21 PM
The first part of the post was me quoting what another poster said. Unfortunately, I donīt know how to do the double highlight thing.

Are you disputing that Ireland was given independence in 1922 and then adpoted the Tricolour as itīs flag then or that the Irish Confederacy was active in the 17th century. I was making the point that technically there was no nation state when Hibs were formed in response to a poster banging on about union flags.

Did you read the thread or just jump in without bothering to look at the context?

I'm not gonna trouble my Saturday getting into a slangin match with someone who knows nothing of Ireland, but, your "history" lesson is diabolical.

You are on record as saying Ireland didn't exist until years after Hibs were formed. Why type such nonsense? Christ, even kids' history books are a better source of info than you.

CropleyWasGod
05-01-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm not gonna trouble my Saturday getting into a slangin match with someone who knows nothing of Ireland, but, your "history" lesson is diabolical.

You are on record as saying Ireland didn't exist until years after Hibs were formed. Why type such nonsense? Christ, even kids' history books are a better source of info than you.

I think you're splitting hairs. Of course there was an Ireland prior to 1922. However, the point at issue is the Tricolour, isn't it? The Ireland that adopted the Tricolour (orange for Protestants, Green for Catholics, White for peace) didn't legally exist until 1922.

Hibercelona
05-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm predicting a 5000 page thriller.

Can't wait to see which way this argument is going to go. :drool:

superfurryhibby
05-01-2013, 12:44 PM

You couldnīt be bothered reading the thread dialogue to get the context then. No worries, donīt let that get in the way of your bluster though.

How do you know what I know about anything? An even more bizarre statement when you canīt actually be ersed reading what I wrote in the first place.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the shopping.

.Sean.
05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Surely the point being made is that the founders of hibs would never have used the tricolour.

Correct, the harp dates back to the 1600's, the tricolour wasn't officially recognised for about another 250 years.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm predicting a 5000 page thriller.

Can't wait to see which way this argument is going to go. :drool:

Yup!

They're under starters orders...

And they're off!

sambajustice
05-01-2013, 01:24 PM
There's a thread applauding AC Milan for walking off the pitch because of racist abuse. I wonder what would be said if Catholic players started walking off the pitch when the Huns and Hearts start their Billy Boys pish!

Just thought i'd throw that into the mixer!

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Why would anyone be offended by a national flag, unless it had something inflammatory written on it? :confused:

Curly1875
05-01-2013, 06:01 PM
I'll be back in 200 pages...

Hibernia&Alba
05-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately a hardcore ( though it's important to say not a general belief system as is the case at Rangers ) of our neighbours carry anti-Irish/anti-Catholic prejudice as their badge of honour. They aspire to be like their Govan big brother and want to impress him. Perhaps this because our club is also of Irish origin. Thankfully our club steers clear of religion and politics, instead welcoming all of sound mind and democratic leanings. As long as you get behind Hibs, your political and religious views are your own business, and I hope this will always be the case. I don't care whether the Hibs fan next to me at a match has different views from my own outside football ( provided said person isn't a fascist or blatantly anti-diversity ) as there is room for all of us at Hibernian. You can be Tory, devout Christian or devout any religion ( as opposed to myself ) as long as you respect the rights of others to hold other opinions and don't hate on the basis of a warped sense of right and wrong.

Hearts are one of the clubs which sadly has an element that opposes diversity and which attracts an uneducated, bigoted 'my way or the highway' world view. We're talking fundamenatalists of the 'Fenian blood' variety here, and shame on the club for that. We will never go down that path. That's why we are Hibs and they are Hearts.

clerriehibs
05-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately a hardcore ( though it's important to say not a general belief system as is the case at Rangers ) of our neighbours carry anti-Irish/anti-Catholic prejudice as their badge of honour. They aspire to be like their Govan big brother and want to impress him. Perhaps this because our club is also of Irish origin. Thankfully our club steers clear of religion and politics, instead welcoming all of sound mind and democratic leanings. As long as you get behind Hibs, your political and religious views are your own business, and I hope this will always be the case. I don't care whether the Hibs fan next to me at a match has different views from my own outside football ( provided said person isn't a fascist or blatantly anti-diversity ) as there is room for all of us at Hibernian. You can be Tory, devout Christian or devout any religion ( as opposed to myself ) as long as you respect the rights of others to hold other opinions and don't hate on the basis of a warped sense of right and wrong.

Hearts are one of the clubs which sadly has an element that opposes diversity and which attracts an uneducated, bigoted 'my way or the highway' world view. We're talking fundamenatalists of the 'Fenian blood' variety here, and shame on the club for that. We will never go down that path. That's why we are Hibs and they are Hearts.

It's not just a "hardcore" at hearts. Someone wondered what would happen if some Hibs fan brought a Union flag along to games, given Hibs were formed in the UK and have UK nationals playing for them.

I think you know the answer.

Christ, someone has a green/black/white flag in a Union flag pattern, and I've seen that slated on here.

superfurryhibby
05-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Correct, the harp dates back to the 1600's, the tricolour wasn't officially recognised for about another 250 years.

Officially recognised by who?

Harps are written about in the Irish hero tales, first recorded in the 8th -9th century AD but generally accepted as being about a society much earlier than that.

Iīm sure people had flags back then too but organic material generally does not survive well in the archaeological record.

Just out of interest Sean are you interested in Irish history and culture?

Hibernia&Alba
05-01-2013, 09:07 PM
It's not just a "hardcore" at hearts. Someone wondered what would happen if some Hibs fan brought a Union flag along to games, given Hibs were formed in the UK and have UK nationals playing for them.

I think you know the answer.

Christ, someone has a green/black/white flag in a Union flag pattern, and I've seen that slated on here.

I don't think a union flag at E.R. would cause much of a scene. I wouldn't be worried for the welfare of anyone who did. Furthermore, religious prejudice is non-existent. I'm confident of that.

Iggy Pope
05-01-2013, 11:27 PM
I'll be back in 200 pages...

Without wishing to prolong this agony Curly, your avatar is interesting, for one so, er, liberal.
Time you started hating the ***** properly!

Iggy Pope
05-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Why would anyone be offended by a national flag, unless it had something inflammatory written on it? :confused:

I would be offended by some bollox waving a UJ in front of me at ER and unless you are being either a) DIFFICULT or b) REVISIONARY
So would you.
Stop it man.

Iggy Pope
05-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I don't think a union flag at E.R. would cause much of a scene. I wouldn't be worried for the welfare of anyone who did. Furthermore, religious prejudice is non-existent. I'm confident of that.

Debatable.

Are we at 500 pages yet?

Hibernia&Alba
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Debatable.

Are we at 500 pages yet?

I don't think it's debatable. I think the majority opinion in the crowd would be for a united Ireland and for an independent Scotland, but that's just a guess, because the Hibs support doesn't overtly express itself politically via songs or banners. We have much more diversity within our support than Hearts, Rangers and Celtic. Certainly intolerance of other viewpoints is far less prevalent at Hibs. I'd much rather take my chances with a union flag in E.R. than an Irish flag in Tynecastle.

Gerard
05-01-2013, 11:50 PM
I don't think it's debatable. I think the majority opinion in the crowd would be for a united Ireland and for an independent Scotland, but that's just a guess, because the Hibs support doesn't overtly express itself politically via songs or banners. We have much more diversity within our support than Hearts, Rangers and Celtic. Certainly intolerance of other viewpoints is far less prevalent at Hibs. I'd much rather take my chances with a union flag in E.R. than an Irish flag in Tynecastle.

I think we Hibs fans are tolerant of all political opinions. We are a diverse community and that is a great asset. The future is Green and white and Hibernian flavour.:wink: We can accomodate our neighbours should they be looking for a football team to support.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I would be offended by some bollox waving a UJ in front of me at ER and unless you are being either a) DIFFICULT or b) REVISIONARY
So would you.
Stop it man.

I cant see why pal, our next flag will be the flag of ST George for Lancashirehibs.

It will have a red rose in the middle with Lancashirehibs across the top, whats wrong with that? Some members wanted the union flag with the same, but the ST Georges flag won the vote and when funds are available that will be done.

degenerated
06-01-2013, 10:48 AM
I cant see why pal, our next flag will be the flag of ST George for Lancashirehibs.

It will have a red rose in the middle with Lancashirehibs across the top, whats wrong with that? Some members wanted the union flag with the same, but the ST Georges flag won the vote and when funds are available that will be done.

http://youtu.be/K5cUxawA_6w

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Dinnae see the problem with that Gary, still, this should be fun! :-)

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Personally I take no notice of what flags are on display or what people sing at football matches, I go to watch what happens on the pitch anything else is irrelevant.

Bostonhibby
06-01-2013, 11:20 AM

Why not? represents a Hibs supporters club based in England and maybe with other English connections or members(?)I'd see that as a big positive - always great to see the how far Hibs fan base stretches.

Chuck Rhoades
06-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Why not? represents a Hibs supporters club based in England and maybe with other English connections or members(?)I'd see that as a big positive - always great to see the how far Hibs fan base stretches.

Exactly. Was great to see the Polish Hibs flag at Tynecastle on Thursday. No one seemed bothered about that?

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2013, 11:39 AM
I forgot about that Polish flag, wonder if any of the guys (or girls) post on here, might be able to cast a different perspective on the old flag debate.

degenerated
06-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Exactly. Was great to see the Polish Hibs flag at Tynecastle on Thursday. No one seemed bothered about that?

Except, presumably, the jamtards given that Poland is predominantly Catholic. :greengrin

Brizo
06-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Barry ... a flag and bigot debate:thumbsup:

As long as i can remember which is back to the early 70s the Hertz have always had a significant bigot element;and i say significant because I dont actually believe its a minority. We self policed the rebel songs out of ER 30 years ago and with the exception of the odd shout we have nothing like the sectrian stuff we had back in the 70s. I would say that nowadays we have a far bigger problem with racist shouts and chants (albeit the latter usually away game pubs) than we have with sectarian stuff.

Unfortunately,for whatever reason, the Hertz have never been able to get rid of their bigot element and perharps surprisingly the biggest anti Irish bigots ive worked with have been Jambos and not your full fat sticky bun. Also a lot of the ones ive had the misfortune to work with come from outside the toon from the likes of the Pans and Broxburn (no offence to Hibbie residents of the Pans and Broxburn). If enough Hertz fans wanted to drown out there bigot element with fitba songs or by whistling them down they could... I think the clue is in the word enough.

As for flags I Think that the original crest harp and shamrock Erin Go Bragh flag as well as being historically accurate is a thing of beauty. If folk want to pay homage to our origins (which im all in favour of) then that flag is not only much more relevant but also far better looking than the Tricolour.... imo.

sambajustice
06-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Except, presumably, the jamtards given that Poland is predominantly Catholic. :greengrin

Not being funny but Hibs should think about doing something to attract the large polish contingent in Edinburgh along to Easter Road. I think there's a huge fanbase there just waiting to be tapped into.

Whether you like it or not they are more likely to follow Hibs than Hearts, I would imagine, purely because of the above reason quoted.

I went into Mass at St Mary's Cathedral and it was a Polski mass, the whole thing was in polish and the place was absolutely stowed. I'm not saying Rod goes canvassing outside Mass on a sunday, the point i'm making is the amount of Pole's in Edinburgh could potentially equal a larger support for the Hibees if we try do something to get them involved.

Go sign a couple of Polski players would be good, what is Artur Boruc up to these days?? :devil:

degenerated
06-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Not being funny but Hibs should think about doing something to attract the large polish contingent in Edinburgh along to Easter Road. I think there's a huge fanbase there just waiting to be tapped into.

Whether you like it or not they are more likely to follow Hibs than Hearts, I would imagine, purely because of the above reason quoted.

I went into Mass at St Mary's Cathedral and it was a Polski mass, the whole thing was in polish and the place was absolutely stowed. I'm not saying Rod goes canvassing outside Mass on a sunday, the point i'm making is the amount of Pole's in Edinburgh could potentially equal a larger support for the Hibees if we try do something to get them involved.

Go sign a couple of Polski players would be good, what is Artur Boruc up to these days?? :devil:

Definitely agree, hibs should be actively targeting the polish community.

Hibrandenburg
06-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Why bother with flags? Why don't you all just wear club scarfs. Anything else is simply folks trying to make one political statement or another. Let's leave politics, nationality and religion out of football eh!

Capt Mainwaring
06-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Or bring back Zibbi ! :wink:

Beefster
06-01-2013, 12:56 PM
I would be offended by some bollox waving a UJ in front of me

Because of your own prejudices?

I would be offended by some random slapping his whanger off my forehead whilst I was watching the game. A bit of coloured fabric? Seems a bit trivial to me.

I think the majority of Hibs fans wouldn't really care either way about Ireland.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2013, 01:00 PM

I would be offended by some random slapping his whanger off my forehead whilst I was watching the game. A bit of coloured fabric? Seems a bit trivial to me.

I think the majority of Hibs fans wouldn't really care either way about Ireland.

:faf::faf:
Absolutely fantastic, one of the funniest things i have ever read on here. :top marks

heretoday
06-01-2013, 01:09 PM

Currently clowning about down at the Saints I believe!

I've been wanting Hibs to "woo" the East Europeans for a long time. However, I don't like the sound of the Catholic connection much. Far better for Hibs to emphasise their pioneering European credentials - "first Brits in the EC etc". I don't know how it could be done short of saying everyone who can prove a Polish background gets in at a discount! Bit suspect that! Good idea to sign ome Poles.

The Green Goblin
06-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Why bother with flags? Why don't you all just wear club scarfs. Anything else is simply folks trying to make one political statement or another. Let's leave politics, nationality and religion out of football eh!

Thank you! Absolutely spot on. That is it in a nutshell for me too. :top marks

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Thank you! Absolutely spot on. That is it in a nutshell for me too. :top marks

I cant see the problem with both, the more colour the better for me? :confused:

The Green Goblin
06-01-2013, 01:17 PM

I don't have a problem with flags BH, - I remember the cup final in 2001 with a fantastic display of flags from around the world etc. - but I also think that taking flags to games - some particular games more than others - is not without motive and often has some external reason or undertone attached to it. People saying that "it's just a flag" or "why shouldn't we take such and such a flag along" are technically correct but are ignoring or being a bit naive about the reality of the situation.

I just agree with the idea in Hiberlin's comment that we should make it about football and forget stuff about nationality, religion and politics, which the presence of flags often seems to provoke.

Hibrandenburg
06-01-2013, 01:18 PM

But it's not about the colour though is it? If it's just about colour then why don't they bring confetti or streamers? Even then some throbbers would probably see hidden meaning in the chosen colours. If you want to make a statement then get on your soap box (realise this may be a problem out west)

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't have a problem with flags BH, - I remember the cup final in 2001 with a fantastic display of flags from around the world etc. - but I also think that taking flags to games - some particular games more than others - is not without motive and often has some external reason or undertone attached to it. People saying that "it's just a flag" or "why shouldn't we take such and such a flag along" are technically correct but are ignoring or being a bit naive about the reality of the situation.

I just agree with the idea in Hiberlin's comment that we should make it about football and forget stuff about nationality, religion and politics, which the presence of flags often seems to provoke.

But it's not about the colour though is it? If it's just about colour then why don't they bring confetti or streamers? Even then some throbbers would probably see hidden meaning in the chosen colours. If you want to make a statement then get on your soap box (realise this may be a problem out west)

I just dont have a problem with flags, be they UJ or Tri colours unless they have inflammatory writing on them?

People who have a problem with these types of flags are the ones with the problem if you ask me? I cant recall a single case of anyone being hurt by a flag in all my years of going to football?

Johnny Clash
06-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Apparently one of their supporters was refused entry to the game because she was drunk and singing sectarian songs including a song described as 'Holocaust denial'.

I've been told there's a bit of a frantic debate going on in Heart's fans forums about this.

The fact that their more intolerant and bigoted fans feel comfortable amongst Jambos singing this says it all.

Section N regularly give it the nazi salute and you never see them getting pelters from the rest of their crowd.

Hardly what the Macrae battalion fought for!

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Apparently one of their supporters was refused entry to the game because she was drunk and singing sectarian songs including a song described as 'Holocaust denial'.

I've been told there's a bit of a frantic debate going on in Heart's fans forums about this.

The fact that their more intolerant and bigoted fans feel comfortable amongst Jambos singing this says it all.

Section N regularly give it the nazi salute and you never see them getting pelters from the rest of their crowd.

Hardly what the Macrae battalion fought for!

She will be court marshalled by Monday.

Iggy Pope
06-01-2013, 01:50 PM

That sounds fine to me and I can understand why that option won the vote.

The Green Goblin
06-01-2013, 01:50 PM
I just dont have a problem with flags, be they UJ or Tri colours unless they have inflammatory writing on them?

People who have a problem with these types of flags are the ones with the problem if you ask me? I cant recall a single case of anyone being hurt by a flag in all my years of going to football?

I agree, and that is the problem though isn't it? Because a flag in itself is fine, as I said, but the reaction it provokes in certain roasters is often what causes the trouble.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2013, 01:53 PM
That sounds fine to me and I can understand why that option won the vote.

The vote was very close though. :wink:

Iggy Pope

Whats all this about whangers? How very odd. More issues there than prejudices methinks.

blackpoolhibs
I agree, and that is the problem though isn't it? Because a flag in itself is fine, as I said, but the reaction it provokes in certain roasters is often what causes the trouble.

:agree:

Iggy Pope
06-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Yes, it does and your personal insult and needlessly raging over-reaction to my post just re-emphasises it and makes my point for me.

I must take 'roaster' as something complimentary then?
At least I won't need to worry about your flag seeing as you only seem to make the odd final.

END.

sambajustice
06-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Currently clowning about down at the Saints I believe!

I've been wanting Hibs to "woo" the East Europeans for a long time. However, I don't like the sound of the Catholic connection much. Far better for Hibs to emphasise their pioneering European credentials - "first Brits in the EC etc". I don't know how it could be done short of saying everyone who can prove a Polish background gets in at a discount! Bit suspect that! Good idea to sign ome Poles.

Yeah, of course, i dont think we should sell it to them as "Hibs are a catholic team, come support us", no way, we shouldnt do that. However, i think there's a huge untapped supporter base with the Polish community base and because of what the Polish "are" (predominately catholic) and because of what Hearts "are" (bigot ridden) i think that the potential untapped supporter base are more likely to come and support the Hibees, more because of what we're not, rather than what we are.

This isnt restricted to Poles by the way, just that it is a prime example.

givescotlandfreedom
06-01-2013, 02:20 PM

I think it's good. The more flags to show the international appeal of Hibs the better as far as I can see and they're not being flown by idiots to cause offence. Was there not maybe a Liverpool Hibs St George's cross flag a few years back?

adhibs
06-01-2013, 02:27 PM
i blame hibs irish roots for hearts bigotry. If we were all just queen lovin masonic proddys like them then we wouldnt need to have this debate

.Sean.
06-01-2013, 02:49 PM
i blame hibs irish roots for hearts bigotry. If we were all just queen lovin masonic proddys like them then we wouldnt need to have this debate

Gutted you've no had a real bite from that yet, aye? :rolleyes:

superfurryhibby
06-01-2013, 02:57 PM

It would also be nice if those team with St in their names could do the decent thing and remove their overtly papish monikers and just call themselves Johnston and Mirren.

The Green Goblin
06-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I must take 'roaster' as something complimentary then?
At least I won't need to worry about your flag seeing as you only seem to make the odd final.

END.

Since when did the NF either create or own the UJ? You used my post as an excuse to get raging. Simple. And it's the 5th or 6th time you have done that in response to me on this forum, plus yet again, there's the obligatory digs about being in Brazil and that not making me a fan blah blah blah. Your personal problem with me, whatever that is, doesn't really interest me, but it's getting a bit old, so consider yourself ignored. That way you can reply all your usual pointless raging stuff against me to your heart's content but I won't ever have to read it.

As for your last (again needlessly snide) comment, I have been a ST holder for most of my life. I am glad the club itself values its large (and increasing) community of internationally based supporters like me who continue to support it from afar by paying to watch the games on Hibs tv each week, buying merchanise online and going to as many games as possible each year when they are back in the uk, even if you do not count them as fans.

adhibs
06-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Gutted you've no had a real bite from that yet, aye? :rolleyes:

aye :rolleyes . Probably no quite as gutted as the people who wake up in the morning and realise that the club they supports named Hibernian and play in green and white

Pedantic_Hibee
06-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Or bring back Zibbi ! :wink:

You've just killed the Internet.

superfurryhibby
06-01-2013, 03:33 PM
aye :rolleyes . Probably no quite as gutted as the people who wake up in the morning and realise that the club they supports named Hibernian and play in green and white

Youīve noticed that paradox too. Must be a slightly schizoid personality at work there.

adhibs
06-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Youīve noticed that paradox too. Must be a slightly schizoid personality at work there.

aye its a strange one. Im glad hibs have an open support but its the complete lack of respect and in some cases even disguist people seem to have of the history that i dont understand.

Hibrandenburg
06-01-2013, 04:12 PM
It's not the clubs roots or history that disgust me, quite the opposite in fact. It's plums who think that's the sum of our identity that disgust me. They're bigots no more or less than those that wave the Union flag at the Kerplunk Arena are. They're all roasters and should take their politics elsewhere IMO.

marinello59
06-01-2013, 04:22 PM
aye its a strange one. Im glad hibs have an open support but its the complete lack of respect and in some cases even disguist people seem to have of the history that i dont understand.

:confused:
I have never met a Hibs fan who showed disgust or lack of respect towards our history. Or even seen it expressed on here.

Makaveli
06-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I think in a somewhat understandable desire to not look like Celtic some folk end up swinging a bit far the other way.

Example 1) I was on a supporters bus to Ibrox for a game a few years ago. Someone pulled a wee tricolour out of their jacket when we were parking and f*** me if there wasn't nearly a riot!

"Leave that Irish pish tae Celtic" etc etc. Coming from a guy wearing a green top with a harp on its badge who was going to support Hibernian, you know? Mental. The guy with the flag was a bit too reeked to make his point but couldn't understand the stigma. Ended up with folk trying to get at each other until it was calmed down. I won't name the bus/branch since it's the only time I've travelled with them and don't know if it's always like that. Worth pointing out that the arguments against him having it weren't about safety or the technicalities of which flag came when, just the very idea of linking Hibs with Ireland.

Example 2) The idiot standing not far behind me in the east against Celtic last week who was spewing pish about getting into "they tatty-munching b**tards." :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
06-01-2013, 04:23 PM
For those who aren't aware. "Hibernian" is the Latin/Roman word for "Ireland".

:stirrer:

Beefster
06-01-2013, 04:25 PM

Close but no cigar.

Hibercelona
06-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Close but no cigar.

I'm so close that I think you'll find i'm correct. :smokin

CropleyWasGod
06-01-2013, 04:29 PM

To be pedantic, Hibernia (no N) was the Latin word for Ireland. It was a derivation of the Latin word "hibernus", which means "wintry". The Romans suggested that this was where winter came from.

Beefster
06-01-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm so close that I think you'll find i'm correct. :smokin

Oh really....!

To be pedantic, Hibernia (no N) was the Latin word for Ireland. It was a derivation of the Latin word "hibernus", which means "wintry". The Romans suggested that this was where winter came from.

Hibrandenburg
06-01-2013, 05:04 PM

Final answer or would you like to play a joker?

AndyM_1875
06-01-2013, 05:28 PM
I think in a somewhat understandable desire to not look like Celtic some folk end up swinging a bit far the other way.

Example 1) I was on a supporters bus to Ibrox for a game a few years ago. Someone pulled a wee tricolour out of their jacket when we were parking and f*** me if there wasn't nearly a riot!

"Leave that Irish pish tae Celtic" etc etc. Coming from a guy wearing a green top with a harp on its badge who was going to support Hibernian, you know? Mental. The guy with the flag was a bit too reeked to make his point but couldn't understand the stigma. Ended up with folk trying to get at each other until it was calmed down. I won't name the bus/branch since it's the only time I've travelled with them and don't know if it's always like that. Worth pointing out that the arguments against him having it weren't about safety or the technicalities of which flag came when, just the very idea of linking Hibs with Ireland.

Example 2) The idiot standing not far behind me in the east against Celtic last week who was spewing pish about getting into "they tatty-munching b**tards." :rolleyes:

To not look like Celtic all you have to do is shower regularly and use deodorant.

Personally I honestly don't think the majority of Hibs fans give a toss about their fellow Hibees politics or religion (or the lack of it).

Hibrandenburg
06-01-2013, 05:47 PM
To not look like Celtic all you have to do is shower regularly and use deodorant.

Personally I honestly don't think the majority of Hibs fans give a toss about their fellow Hibees politics or religion (or the lack of it).

I do when it constantly gets rubbed in my face. I'm not Irish and I'm not Catholic but Hibs through and through from a Hibs family. I'm proud of our Irish heritage and that we've had to overcome prejudice in the past to justify our existence, also the fact that we've become an inclusive club that welcomes all creeds. It's because of this last point that I take great exceptions to trumpets who seem to think that me not having republican leanings means I'm some sort of 2nd class fan.

As already mentioned, it's not the flags that wind me up, it's the motivation for doing so by many of the throbbers who wave them.

surreyhibbie
06-01-2013, 06:03 PM
[/B]

I do when it constantly gets rubbed in my face. I'm not Irish and I'm not Catholic but Hibs through and through from a Hibs family. I'm proud of our Irish heritage and that we've had to overcome prejudice in the past to justify our existence, also the fact that we've become an inclusive club that welcomes all creeds. It's because of this last point that I take great exceptions to trumpets who seem to think that me not having republican leanings means I'm some sort of 2nd class fan.

As already mentioned, it's not the flags that wind me up, it's the motivation for doing so by many of the throbbers who wave them.

:agree: exactly my thoughts.

JimBHibees
06-01-2013, 06:13 PM
[/B]

Great post. :top marks

AndyM_1875
06-01-2013, 07:00 PM
[/B]

Well anyone who thinks that because your are not Catholic or Republican (Im also neither) somehow diminishes you as a Hibee is obviously an idiot and doesn't really get what being Hibs is all about. We are inclusive and welcome all irrespective of colour, creed or religion (or not).

If I wanted to listen to bigoted discriminatory ***** I could go to Parkhead or Ibrox. If I wanted to be surrounded by Grade A throbbers who spout their own brand of watered down Ibrox style crud then I would go to Tynecastle.

Thankfully I am Hibs through and through, irrespective of politics or faith.

Hibrandenburg
06-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Well anyone who thinks that because your are not Catholic or Republican (Im also neither) somehow diminishes you as a Hibee is obviously an idiot and doesn't really get what being Hibs is all about. We are inclusive and welcome all irrespective of colour, creed or religion (or not).

If I wanted to listen to bigoted discriminatory ***** I could go to Parkhead or Ibrox. If I wanted to be surrounded by Grade A throbbers who spout their own brand of watered down Ibrox style crud then I would go to Tynecastle.

Thankfully I am Hibs through and through, irrespective of politics or faith.

Hear hear!

superfurryhibby
06-01-2013, 07:28 PM
[/B]

Nothing to disagree with here. I have no Irish roots nor am I catholic, yet like you I am proud of our history and traditions. Where we differ is that I have never ever had anyone castigate me for not having republican sympathies or not being Catholic. I find that rather bizarre.

Corstorphine Hibby
06-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Surely the historic Catholic connection can no longer be disputed ? :hyper:

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2013, 07:32 PM
:agree: exactly my thoughts.

I concur.

hibsbollah
06-01-2013, 08:10 PM
All the familiar chestnuts on display, just like last time:aok:

"Fenian doesn't actually mean 'catholic' anyway"
"The tricolour didn't exist when Hibs came into being"
"I dont like having my nose rubbed in it" (translation welcomed:what does this actually mean?)
"Hibernian" means n.of Ireland (no it doesn't, yes it does etc etc repeat to fade)

:faint:

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Which is the Catholic team in?????.................................Answer: Neither. It's a football team and football teams don't have religious beliefs, only people do.

This is the 21st century. It's time for people to stop trying to associate sectarian allegiances to anything other than actual churches!

heretoday
06-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah, of course, i dont think we should sell it to them as "Hibs are a catholic team, come support us", no way, we shouldnt do that. However, i think there's a huge untapped supporter base with the Polish community base and because of what the Polish "are" (predominately catholic) and because of what Hearts "are" (bigot ridden) i think that the potential untapped supporter base are more likely to come and support the Hibees, more because of what we're not, rather than what we are.

This isnt restricted to Poles by the way, just that it is a prime example.

I just think we would get some very bad PR if we went near the subject of religion.

Actually, Hearts have had more East Europeans than us recently! Maybe there are a lot of bigots in Lithuania! :duck:

Lucius Apuleius
06-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Ah well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. :wink:

Geo_1875
06-01-2013, 09:17 PM
I just think we would get some very bad PR if we went near the subject of religion.

Actually, Hearts have had more East Europeans than us recently! Maybe there are a lot of bigots in Lithuania! :duck:

There were quite a few during WWII who supported the invading Nazis. Maybe thats the Hearts connection?

clerriehibs
06-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Surely the historic Catholic connection can no longer be disputed ? :hyper:

:rolleyes:

superfurryhibby
07-01-2013, 09:06 AM
There were quite a few during WWII who supported the invading Nazis. Maybe thats the Hearts connection?

Most bigots wouldnīt have the savvy to read about or understand the complexity of the relations between Ireland and Britain prior to and during WW2.

FWIW there was also support for Hitler and for Fascism in Britain in the same era.

Bostonhibby
07-01-2013, 10:25 AM

What about the Agnostic Atheist Hibs Supporters club? we always get overlooked in the many flag / religious debates that seem to spring up on here. FFS we can't even be bothered to design a flag as no one believes in them.:greengrin

Agnostic Atheists - not giving a ***k since 0 a.d. and before

Geo_1875
07-01-2013, 12:29 PM
What about the Agnostic Atheist Hibs Supporters club? we always get overlooked in the many flag / religious debates that seem to spring up on here. FFS we can't even be bothered to design a flag as no one believes in them.:greengrin

Agnostic Atheists - not giving a ***k since 0 a.d. and before

Why since 0 a.d. ? Surely that's a date with no significance to an atheist.

Speedway
07-01-2013, 12:47 PM
When I think of the yams, I think of the boy 'Brick' from Anchorman.

Don't know why.

Bostonhibby
07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Why since 0 a.d. ? Surely that's a date with no significance to an atheist.

:thumbsup:Well observed, as the thread had a bit of religion attached I felt it best to keep the theme going, but I was agnostic about which signinficant religious event so went for the easy one. If I'd known when the first species was created I might have gone for that, but then again the Darwinist Hibs Supporters Club doesn't have the same ring to it :wink:

Corstorphine Hibby
07-01-2013, 01:44 PM
:rolleyes:

whoosh

adhibs
07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Ah well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. :wink:

Skanko79
07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
ANYONE that goes to the football and gets wound up by whats being sung, what flags are being waved who said this and who said that and what the big bad jambo's sung really needs to go and have a look at themselves.

and ive read a few times now folk saying they have looked on the hearts forum and been upset by what they have seen. can anybody who actively goes onto the hearts forum explain why they do so? and furthermore, anyone who goes on it and gets upset by what they read can someone offer me a reasonable explanation as to why you would want to do that?

Pete
07-01-2013, 04:01 PM
ANYONE that goes to the football and gets wound up by whats being sung, what flags are being waved who said this and who said that and what the big bad jambo's sung really needs to go and have a look at themselves.

and ive read a few times now folk saying they have looked on the hearts forum and been upset by what they have seen. can anybody who actively goes onto the hearts forum explain why they do so? and furthermore, anyone who goes on it and gets upset by what they read can someone offer me a reasonable explanation as to why you would want to do that?

I went on the hearts forum to see how they were reacting to events during the derby and what incidents they were highlighting. I was upset at the way the smoke bomb incident was getting overlooked and dismissed.
The days of it being tit for tat, geeky banter are over. They are often the first place the press look for stories and what people say collectively is often used as a point of reference for a story. Their reaction was certainly used to sensationalise things and our club was painted in a bad light.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM

:top marksI couldn't agree more, I can't believe how what happens in the stands has become more of a spectator sport than what actualy happens on the pitch. Flags/Songs/Displays/Flares/Drums what a load of ****** it has all become. Concentrate on the football on the pitch and forget the other crap.

The Green Goblin
07-01-2013, 04:52 PM
:top marksI couldn't agree more, I can't believe how what happens in the stands has become more of a spectator sport than what actualy happens on the pitch. Flags/Songs/Displays/Flares/Drums what a load of ****** it has all become. Concentrate on the football on the pitch and forget the other crap.

Agree 100%.

Hibrandenburg
07-01-2013, 08:02 PM

I can quite happily shut it all out and concentrate on the game (most of the time). My little boy on the other hand soaks all this **** up. I want to take him to a game without having to try and explain why the man behind me keeps shouting "Orange *******" and having to explain what Orange ******* and such like means.

I'm sure there are many more parents like me who don't want their kids coming into contact with crap like this at an early age and if people stop taking their kids to games, then football has a very limited future.

Hibernia Na Eir
07-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Most bigots wouldnīt have the savvy to read about or understand the complexity of the relations between Ireland and Britain prior to and during WW2.

FWIW there was also support for Hitler and for Fascism in Britain in the same era.

There was also support in Ireland during WWII for German soldiers (relics on show at Dublin Museum) however, you can only imagine it wasn't in the support of Nazism. I'll leave it to others to work that one out :wink:

joe breezy
07-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Some arse beside me kept saying get intae these proddy *******s.

My family are 'proddies' but I'm an atheist - although if I was a Christian I'd prefer a branch that is less hierarchical than the Catholic church.

However, I'd much rather people leave religion at home on football days.

Leave the 17th century Irish politics to others whilst respecting the heritage of the founders - I believe it is possible to do both.

joe breezy
07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
I went on the hearts forum to see how they were reacting to events during the derby and what incidents they were highlighting. I was upset at the way the smoke bomb incident was getting overlooked and dismissed.
The days of it being tit for tat, geeky banter are over. They are often the first place the press look for stories and what people say collectively is often used as a point of reference for a story. Their reaction was certainly used to sensationalise things and our club was painted in a bad light.

You were upset? Why go on a Hearts site then, they are deluded fools never to be taken seriously

Pete
07-01-2013, 10:19 PM
You were upset? Why go on a Hearts site then, they are deluded fools never to be taken seriously

Maybe upset is the wrong word. Perhaps annoyed at the lack of balance being presented.

They are fools but like I said, people do take these boards seriously. The article the next day in the Scotsman proved that some people certainly had their eyes trained on both.

Hibrandenburg
07-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Some arse beside me kept saying get intae these proddy *******s.

My family are 'proddies' but I'm an atheist - although if I was a Christian I'd prefer a branch that is less hierarchical than the Catholic church.

However, I'd much rather people leave religion at home on football days.

Leave the 17th century Irish politics to others whilst respecting the heritage of the founders - I believe it is possible to do both.

:agree:

givescotlandfreedom
08-01-2013, 01:45 AM
I can quite happily shut it all out and concentrate on the game (most of the time). My little boy on the other hand soaks all this **** up. I want to take him to a game without having to try and explain why the man behind me keeps shouting "Orange *******" and having to explain what Orange ******* and such like means.

I'm sure there are many more parents like me who don't want their kids coming into contact with crap like this at an early age and if people stop taking their kids to games, then football has a very limited future.

I wouldn't let it put you off taking your boy, in my experience it's extremely rare to hear that sort of nonsense banded about.

superfurryhibby
08-01-2013, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't let it put you off taking your boy, in my experience it's extremely rare to hear that sort of nonsense banded about.

Agree. I feel this kind of nonsense is rare at ER. Compared to when I was a lad, itīs virtually night and day. Games against Rangers were particularly prone to religious "banter" and singing in the 70īs and early 80īs.

JimBHibees
08-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Have taken my son for 3 or 4 years (now 11 years old) and never heard any of that. Occasional sweary words but nothing much to bother taking kids IMO. FF lower is packed with parents and kids.