PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

FromTheCapital
03-01-2013, 10:40 PM
I was at the game and I thought it gave us a bit of a lift when he came on. Gave 110% (again) and got the ball on the deck and tried to play football. Anyway, atmosphere was superb from both ends to be fair except from a few 'fans'... But, we won't dwell on that. 4 points from Celtic and Hearts is definitely very good. :agree:

Scottie
03-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Alway gives 100%.
Dont think he deserved to be dropped tonight but saying that McGivern played well.
Would love to see Paddy giving him a try in a more creative attacking central role.

FromTheCapital
03-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Alway gives 100%.
Dont think he deserved to be dropped tonight but saying that McGivern played well.
Would love to see Paddy giving him a try in a more creative attacking central role.
Definitely! Claros, Deegan and Taiwo were non-existent for me!

NorthNorfolkHFC
03-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Not his biggest fan but ON TONIGHT'S SHOWING he offered more than all 3 of our centre mid guys. All 3 that started showed no desire to go forward.

On that basis I'd offer him a start in CM alongside Cairney. I'd maybe try Handling on one wing with Wotherspoon on the other. Caldwell up top with Doyle.

Wee shake up needed as that was just hearts 11 vs hibs back 5. At least it would give us a bit running.

Piqué
03-01-2013, 10:57 PM
One of our very few players who didn't look scared when he got on the ball.

Boyle89
03-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Think he deserves a shot ahead of taiwo. Plays with plenty of heart and wasnt afraid to try and play the ball in the deck when he came on, which pretty much nobody had done. Just offers more than taiwo imo.

hibsbollah
03-01-2013, 11:24 PM
He was very good when he came on, despite not playing in centre mid for quite a while. I thought Taiwo was good tonight though.

WellingtonHibby
03-01-2013, 11:26 PM
One of our very few players who didn't look scared when he got on the ball.

That's why Collins always quoted him. Saw a guy who could use a ball properly. .

SteveHFC
03-01-2013, 11:34 PM
One of our best players. :agree:

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Problem still is that he will score next to no goals and we will get bullied by bigger teams. Shame.

hibee_nation
04-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Problem still is that he will score next to no goals and we will get bullied by bigger teams. Shame.

Stevenson gets bullied from no one. He has his faults but never bottles it against anyone and always gives it his all.

Leishy1995
04-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Having liked him as a player for long enough, it feels great knowing he was yet again good. It's a shame he is never trusted by fans or managers despite consistent performances.

JohnStephens91
04-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Great player to have, likes to keep it simple but can also play a good long ball too and gives nothing but his all, he is the type of player every team needs. He deserves more respect than he gets. The only fault with him is that he needs to score goals.

heretoday
04-01-2013, 04:18 AM
He is an honest trier but not a great player. Unfortunately we cannot afford anything better.

jodjam
04-01-2013, 06:21 AM
He kept it simple and by playing the ball forward when the pass was on he drove us forward. One of the better players on the night.

LewisHFC
04-01-2013, 08:19 AM
I thought he was excellent when he came on. Gave 100%. Deserves a start over Claros or Taiwo.

trev the hat
04-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Had his sleeves rolled up & was itching to get on, fully committed to the jersey & big thumbs up from me.

spike220
04-01-2013, 08:42 AM
I thought he did well.

allezsauzee
04-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Not sure what Lewis needs to do to win over some on here. He was our best player by a mile last season when most of the team's heads had gone down. He has had to bide his time this season, played superbly at left back when brought in, then been dropped. When brought on as sub last night showed the composure that the rest of the team sadly lacked. He shows a lot of the attributes that we all seem to crave on here. Dedication to the Hibernian cause, always gives his all , never shirks a tackle and as demonstrated last night will keep his head. I for one hope that PF realises we have a valuable asset here and offers Lewis a 3 year deal.

Tonez
04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Lewis came on and gave 110%. He tried to push us forward and always looked to play the ball on the deck.

hibee_girl
04-01-2013, 09:28 AM
He changed our team for the better last night, we only really started to move the ball about once he was on.

He knew exactly what was needed in a derby performance and I personally would now have him in the team before Taiwo

lucky
04-01-2013, 09:33 AM
He helped drive the team forward more the any of the other midfielders. He also has a wee bit more pace. I would start him in front on Deegan. Who I think has been poor except in his first couple of games.

Hibi
04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
He changed our team for the better last night, we only really started to move the ball about once he was on.

He knew exactly what was needed in a derby performance and I personally would now have him in the team before Taiwo

Thought Lewis gave us a real lift last night, personally would have had him in for Claros though who just wants too much time on the ball for these games. Hearts put us under lots of pressure and Claros just didn't want it, Lewis was willing to get on the ball and had the drive to try and make something happen.

Would really like to see him get a new contract.

Since90+2
04-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Not his biggest fan but ON TONIGHT'S SHOWING he offered more than all 3 of our centre mid guys. All 3 that started showed no desire to go forward.

On that basis I'd offer him a start in CM alongside Cairney. I'd maybe try Handling on one wing with Wotherspoon on the other. Caldwell up top with Doyle.

Wee shake up needed as that was just hearts 11 vs hibs back 5. At least it would give us a bit running.

That midfield and forward pairing would be awful.

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2013, 11:19 AM
He gave us something we did not have last night, a pass from midfield forward. Stevenson imo had been poor for a number of seasons, and i certainly would not have been bothered had he left.

Yet last season he did well, and has again done well this one. I think some folk will never change their opinion on him, i certainly have.

He deserves to be at the club on merit these days, although i dont think he's better than McGivern at left back, he's a decent replacement, and a good squad man too. I think he's grown up, and maturing as a player, he certainly grabs his chance every time he's picked these days. :top marks

J-C
04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
He gave us something we did not have last night, a pass from midfield forward. Stevenson imo had been poor for a number of seasons, and i certainly would not have been bothered had he left.

Yet last season he did well, and has again done well this one. I think some folk will never change their opinion on him, i certainly have.

He deserves to be at the club on merit these days, although i dont think he's better than McGivern at left back, he's a decent replacement, and a good squad man too. I think he's grown up, and maturing as a player, he certainly grabs his chance every time he's picked these days. :top marks

I think Lewis is one of these players who responds to certain managers.

Under Collins and Fenlon he's upped his game but under Yogi and Calderwood he suffered, seems to be one of those players you need to put an arm round and reassure him how good he is, then he responds.

Sir Alex has this ability, as does Redknapp, getting young players and being a fatherly figure getting the best from them.

SMAXXA
04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
I have been critical of Lewis in the past and stated imo he wasn't good enough for what we need. I have changed my opinion on him based on his performances and attitude this season. He's been excellent when he has played and his attitude for being dropped for McGivern and not let his head go down and keep coming back in and producing great performances is testament to him.

Still not sure if he would be a first pick over a sustained period but he deserves a chance and I hope he gets it. Good guy aswell, can't speak highly enough of him at the moment.

Hanlons another who's really stood up and been counted recently, since JM has been back.

500miles
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
We could have done with Stevenson on far earlier. We needed someone with his ability to switch play from left to right, because Hearts were finding it far too easy to close us down in the crowded midfield, and a quick ball from Stevenson to Doyle would have seen McHattie isolated against Eoin.

semaj64
04-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Lewis brought a much needed change in attitude to the midfield where we were not effective at all. Would have liked him on earlier not sure why Fenlon took so long to make that decision.

LeighLoyal
04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Wasn't that impressed with our midfield display. I thought the Yams won that battle.

snooky
04-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Our current midfield play is more akin to the game of Rugby where you are not allowed to pass the ball forward.
Lewis was a much needed breath of fresh air last night.
If you're reading this Nutsy, I'll say it again .... Lewis was a much needed breath of fresh air last night.

Gaun yersel Louie! :aok:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-01-2013, 06:33 PM

:agree:

hibsbollah
04-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Wasn't that impressed with our midfield display. I thought the Yams won that battle.

Hardly surprising since all five earn far more than we could afford to pay. Taouil and Barr we were looking at before Vlads tax money gazumped us.

Thankfully those days are now long gone.

matty_f
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM

The best thing about Lewis these days is that it is very difficult to pick fault with him. I wanted him to leave but I'm so glad he never. Fenlon is certainly getting the best from him and Lewis is deserving of the praise he's getting.

3pm
04-01-2013, 07:02 PM
The best thing about Lewis these days is that it is very difficult to pick fault with him. I wanted him to leave but I'm so glad he never. Fenlon is certainly getting the best from him and Lewis is deserving of the praise he's getting.

I never understood why anyone wanted him yo leave. Cheap and can play two or three positions.

They 2 fannies Hughes and Calderwood never helped him either.

Jonnyboy
04-01-2013, 07:05 PM

Well that's just football genius on your part :wink:

Back on topic, did you think Lewis improved that midfield?

Billy Whizz
04-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Well that's just football genius on your part :wink:

Back on topic, did you think Lewis improved that midfield?

Yes he did and he'll play in that role against Dundee as Cairney is suspended!

Baldy Foghorn
04-01-2013, 07:48 PM
I never understood why anyone wanted him yo leave. Cheap and can play two or three positions.

Always liked LS, felt he was under-rated and unfortunately split opinions within our support.....Great versatile player to have in our ranks.....Keep it up Lewis.....:aok:

snooky
04-01-2013, 08:00 PM

IIRC it was Mixu who first ditched him. That year out certainly didn't help with Lewis's natural development as a player.

truehibernian
04-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Lewis came on and showed tremendous composure as ever and his experience of the fixture was of greater benefit at that time in the match than many realise I feel.

The game was very scrappy, Hibs really lacked any composure in the middle of the park, and we allowed Medhi to get his foot on the ball second half especially - I was raging at our midfield last night as they, from the off, sat a little deep and left Leigh very isolated. Far far too narrow and it was always always going to be the case that McGlynn played width throughout (last 10 he went more down the middle to win the game).

I thought Deegan was being asked to do too much, as Claros and TT were off the pace - I may also be wrong, but from where I was sitting Gary had an almost open goal to shoot into second half (beginning of half) when McDonald came too far off his line ? Did I imagine that or am I being unkind to Deegan ?

Clancy got involved with the crowd from the first whistle and it affected his game for me - he let the occasion get to him and his passing was very slack. McPake and Hanlon were excellent, McPake winning the battle with Sutton and Paul covering nicely. McGivern was my man of the match purely for doing his defensive duties throughout and the match/goal saving clearance.

Thought Leigh looked a bit 'leggy' but he was left very very alone up top - we never used Cairney enough and I felt he was unlucky to be hooked. Doyle, who I thought might break his derby duck yesterday, shanked a shot where it was easier to his target, but he worked very very hard. Again, felt a little sorry for him due to him being 'out wide'.

The annoyance for me was that we let Hearts play again and looked a team scared to lose and not confident enought to go and try and win. Dangerous counter attack football which always makes me uneasy.

January window - proper width please Pat, pace, and a creative midfielder. Asking a lot, but it's what the team lacks.

Gritty showing, undefeated against them in 3 games, last 2 derbies have been clean sheets too - after the last few seasons, I'll take that but I want more positivity in these games from management and players - Hearts are there to beat regularly :agree:

The fans (bar one idiot) were outstanding for the 90 minutes - that's the best away atmosphere for many a year. Top notch the lot of you :aok:

StarMan10
04-01-2013, 08:21 PM
He gives it his all every minute he is on the park. He probably won more headers in the time he was on than Claros, Deegan, Taiwo did in the whole game plainly down to his determination! Definitely deserves a starting place against Dundee.

jacomo
04-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I hope LS spends his entire career at Hibs. He's been involved in enough of our better performances over the years to have earned everyone's trust by now, surely?

But he needs the right players around him. Him and Claros as a central two just doesn't work - its one or the other.

whiskyhibby
04-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Thought he was excellent when he came on, very composed and did not waste a pass

Spike Mandela
04-01-2013, 10:57 PM
I thought Deegan was being asked to do too much, as Claros and TT were off the pace - I may also be wrong, but from where I was sitting Gary had an almost open goal to shoot into second half (beginning of half) when McDonald came too far off his line ? Did I imagine that or am I being unkind to Deegan ?:

No, you're right, I remember that, he seemed to dally on the ball wheras a more alert midfielder would have looked up and dinked the ball into the gaping net.:agree:

HFC 0-7
04-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Stevenson in my opinion has always been a good player, he also seems like a model pro who is thankful to be playing, although I am sure he will soon look elsewhere if he puts in better performances than his team mates but is first to drop to the bench to accommodate a returning or new player.

Stevenson has been part of a lot of different teams and was around when the golden era came through. Perhaps because he never reached the level of the like of brown, Whittaker, fletcher and Thomson people didnt rate him enough. He isn't gifted with skill like some of our players in the past, but he uses his abilities very well and can shine in the spl.

Sometimes I think we are more likely to criticise a player that is nothing special in terms of skill but always does what's asked of him than a player with bags of potential that rarely shows it.

LaMotta
04-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Lewis came on and showed tremendous composure as ever and his experience of the fixture was of greater benefit at that time in the match than many realise I feel.

The game was very scrappy, Hibs really lacked any composure in the middle of the park, and we allowed Medhi to get his foot on the ball second half especially - I was raging at our midfield last night as they, from the off, sat a little deep and left Leigh very isolated. Far far too narrow and it was always always going to be the case that McGlynn played width throughout (last 10 he went more down the middle to win the game).

I thought Deegan was being asked to do too much, as Claros and TT were off the pace - I may also be wrong, but from where I was sitting Gary had an almost open goal to shoot into second half (beginning of half) when McDonald came too far off his line ? Did I imagine that or am I being unkind to Deegan ?

Clancy got involved with the crowd from the first whistle and it affected his game for me - he let the occasion get to him and his passing was very slack. McPake and Hanlon were excellent, McPake winning the battle with Sutton and Paul covering nicely. McGivern was my man of the match purely for doing his defensive duties throughout and the match/goal saving clearance.

Thought Leigh looked a bit 'leggy' but he was left very very alone up top - we never used Cairney enough and I felt he was unlucky to be hooked. Doyle, who I thought might break his derby duck yesterday, shanked a shot where it was easier to his target, but he worked very very hard. Again, felt a little sorry for him due to him being 'out wide'.

The annoyance for me was that we let Hearts play again and looked a team scared to lose and not confident enought to go and try and win. Dangerous counter attack football which always makes me uneasy.

January window - proper width please Pat, pace, and a creative midfielder. Asking a lot, but it's what the team lacks.

Gritty showing, undefeated against them in 3 games, last 2 derbies have been clean sheets too - after the last few seasons, I'll take that but I want more positivity in these games from management and players - Hearts are there to beat regularly :agree:

The fans (bar one idiot) were outstanding for the 90 minutes - that's the best away atmosphere for many a year. Top notch the lot of you :aok:

Great post...thats how i seen the game!!

Sir David Gray
04-01-2013, 11:01 PM
No, you're right, I remember that, he seemed to dally on the ball wheras a more alert midfielder would have looked up and dinked the ball into the gaping net.:agree:

:agree: I was screaming at him to hit it as MacDonald was well out his goal. He wasn't in a fantastic position to suggest that he would definitely have scored but he should certainly have taken a shot.

hibsbollah
04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
:agree: I was screaming at him to hit it as MacDonald was well out his goal. He wasn't in a fantastic position to suggest that he would definitely have scored but he should certainly have taken a shot.

He was central but he must have been 40 yards out. Would have been a great goal but not a sitter by any means.

Biggie
04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Wee Lewis was exactly the type of player we needed in midfield last night....does not take any ***** of anyone and has a heart the size of a lion...the hearts midfield might have had something to think about instead of having all the time in the world to spray the ball about.
Thought he was dead unlucky to be dropped after his performance v Celtc.....

Dav1986
04-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Thought Leigh looked a bit 'leggy' but he was left very very alone up top

May have something to do with the amount of pizza he went through yesterday afternoon. Not exactly a good pre match meal!

LaMotta
04-01-2013, 11:10 PM
May have something to do with the amount of pizza he went through yesterday afternoon. Not exactly a good pre match meal!

Really? ****** terrible prematch meal...cant belive pro players get away with that.

Dav1986
04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Really? ****** terrible prematch meal...cant belive pro players get away with that.

Aye was in pizza hut at the fort with a pal, two women and a kid having the buffet, was up a good few times aswell.

LaMotta
04-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Aye was in pizza hut at the fort with a pal, two women and a kid having the buffet, was up a good few times aswell.

Disgraceful! The pizza hut buffet pizzas are always the doughy deep pan greasy bad boys with way too much cheese!

Dav1986
04-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Disgraceful! The pizza hut buffet pizzas are always the doughy deep pan greasy bad boys with way too much cheese!

Cheers for the feedback I'll make sure the kitchen lads put less cheese on ;) actually thought he may not have been playing when I saw him. Should have refused him service this time.

LaMotta
04-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Cheers for the feedback I'll make sure the kitchen lads put less cheese on ;) actually thought he may not have been playing when I saw him. Should have refused him service this time.

Here im not saying they are no tasty likes far from it..... in fact the more cheese the better for me!

But a pro footballer should be chomping on an organic free range plain omlette with wholemeal toast and a glass of freshly pressed apple juice approx 3 hours before excercise begins. I bet he had a full fat coke as well?!

Dav1986
04-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Here im not saying they are no tasty likes far from it..... in fact the more cheese the better for me!

But a pro footballer should be chomping on an organic free range plain omlette with wholemeal toast and a glass of freshly pressed apple juice approx 3 hours before excercise begins. I bet he had a full fat coke as well?!

I know I'm just messing. Don't know what he drank but wouldn't surprise me*

He shouldn't have been eating stuff like that before the game though without doubt. I know he was isolated an dont know if it was because I knew what he'd eaten pre match but I wasn't surprised that he looked a bit lethargic till the last 15-20mins.

*the cola we serve is Pepsi ;)

Haymaker
04-01-2013, 11:55 PM

Terrible pre-match but perfect post-match apparently. :agree:

monktonharp
05-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Not sure what Lewis needs to do to win over some on here. He was our best player by a mile last season when most of the team's heads had gone down. He has had to bide his time this season, played superbly at left back when brought in, then been dropped. When brought on as sub last night showed the composure that the rest of the team sadly lacked. He shows a lot of the attributes that we all seem to crave on here. Dedication to the Hibernian cause, always gives his all , never shirks a tackle and as demonstrated last night will keep his head. I for one hope that PF realises we have a valuable asset here and offers Lewis a 3 year deal.best player by a mile last season was marginally better than worst player of last season, imho. he is a profesional football player , paid as such and as, over a number of years since the cup final against Killie, looked like the new dawn yet failed miserably. he's had a few good games recently. sorry, but I cant marry in to the thoughts that he should be a regular, and as for giving him a 3 year contract ,I am not sure of that.sorry to be so blunt.

Baldy
05-01-2013, 12:26 AM
I like Lewis as a player and as a person, he gives 100% every time he plays and off the park he is a model pro, he also takes time to speak to fans especially younger ones

anyway Happy Birthday Lewis:aok:

bingo70
05-01-2013, 07:32 AM
This Stevenson player sounds terrific, shame we didn't have him last season when our midfield was being over run every week and offered no support to our strikers......

Of course I'm stirring it a bit, I'd love lewis to get back into the team and prove me wrong, if he does do though he's going to have to start to have more confidence when he's going forward, too many times he does his good work in our half but when he gets within 40 yards of goal and either panics or doesn't have the confidence to do anything other than the safe ball.

As for the other night I thought we were being over run before he came on and I thought we were over run after he came on so I don't see the difference he made that everyone is talking about although in fairness I was watching the game in the pub so I'm happy to concede I may be wrong with that one.

Golden Bear
05-01-2013, 08:41 AM
He should be a permanent fixture in our midfield purely on the grounds that he is willing and capable of beating an opponent and actually moving forward with the ball. That is something of a rarity these days.

bingo70
05-01-2013, 08:47 AM
He should be a permanent fixture in our midfield purely on the grounds that he is willing and capable of beating an opponent and actually moving forward with the ball. That is something of a rarity these days.

For all the stick I give Stevenson I don't actually disagree with you there, I just wish he'd have the confidence to do it in the final third.

If he was to do that we'd get a far better goals and assist record from him.

hibs4thecup1988
05-01-2013, 08:54 AM
I cannot believe some still doubt Lewis' worth to the team.

He has played his part this season, would love to see the stats with him in the team and him out the team.

He is a battler, will win most headers, gets his foot on the ball and passes, and can tackle.

But you still get people saying "He is an ok player we cannot afford anything better". Hmmm! :confused:

bingo70
05-01-2013, 09:04 AM
I cannot believe some still doubt Lewis' worth to the team.

He has played his part this season, would love to see the stats with him in the team and him out the team.

He is a battler, will win most headers, gets his foot on the ball and passes, and can tackle.

But you still get people saying "He is an ok player we cannot afford anything better". Hmmm! :confused:

He was pretty much an ever present in midfield last season, that should give you an idea of our win ratio when relying on him in midfield.

hibs4thecup1988
05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
He was pretty much an ever present in midfield last season, that should give you an idea of our win ratio when relying on him in midfield.

That's last season... People are saying its a new season and team so I would prefer stats for this year

EdinMike
05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
...Happy Birthday longest serving player at present ?!

I rate and like the lad :agree:

bingo70
05-01-2013, 11:32 AM
That's last season... People are saying its a new season and team so I would prefer stats for this year

That's fine, I'm happy to give him a fresh start this season as well that's why I think I've been pretty constructive in my criticism, especially on this thread. However your post was pretty dismissive of anyone that's got a different opinion from you even though your opinion is based on what he might do in midfield this season where as people that maybe don't rate him as much is based on him being a key part in one of our poorest midfields and teams in years.

J-C
05-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Aye right and it was such a good, strong dominant midfield we had last season as well, tellme apart from Claros and Spoony were are the rest of that midfield.

bingo70
05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Aye right and it was such a good, strong dominant midfield we had last season as well, tellme apart from Claros and Spoony were are the rest of that midfield.

Well if lewis had been playing like most folk are wanting then 3 of our 4 midfielders would have been here last season so not really sure what your point is?

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Well if lewis had been playing like most folk are wanting then 3 of our 4 midfielders would have been here last season so not really sure what your point is?

I only have the one point regarding Stevenson, and that is he's playing much better than he did from a couple of seasons ago.

steviehibsleith
05-01-2013, 12:29 PM
If you watch only games on tv you are only watching a small area where the ball is , when lewis is on the ball he is very composed and good distribution also is comitted and gives is all.
When you are at a game you also see what is being done off the ball you see the whole pitch - for me LS downside is his ability to cover the pitch as in watch claros and taiwo when we lose possession they cover huge ground to get back even if its not going to the ball they are covering attacking players . Also a lot of people asking for more in the final third from LEwis , well yet again i think for 90 mins he cant get forward and back thats why others are in midfield
Because of a average performance from our midfield on Thursday cries to change it is a bit off Imo

Baldy Foghorn
05-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I only have the one point regarding Stevenson, and that is he's playing much better than he did from a couple of seasons ago.

He is being very consistent......Keep it up LS.....

SMAXXA
05-01-2013, 12:35 PM
That's fine, I'm happy to give him a fresh start this season as well that's why I think I've been pretty constructive in my criticism, especially on this thread. However your post was pretty dismissive of anyone that's got a different opinion from you even though your opinion is based on what he might do in midfield this season where as people that maybe don't rate him as much is based on him being a key part in one of our poorest midfields and teams in years.

Could say the same about Spoony to a lesser degree and more so about Hanlon whos been part of, infact a key part of our poorest defence for the last few years. Both players aswell as Lewis have improved a great deal this season so they deserve the credit that is coming their way from most people. I have been very critical of all 3 of these players over the course of the last couple of years and wouldnt have been too fussed to have seen the back of them before this season started. I have now changed my opinions on all 3 based on their performances this season (Largly speaking, they all still have faults they need to address which is fair enough), we can criticise players dead easy but you have to give them the credit when it is deserved IMO.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2013, 12:41 PM
[/B]

Could say the same about Spoony to a lesser degree and more so about Hanlon whos been part of, infact a key part of our poorest defence for the last few years. Both players aswell as Lewis have improved a great deal this season so they deserve the credit that is coming their way from most people. I have been very critical of all 3 of these players over the course of the last couple of years and wouldnt have been too fussed to have seen the back of them before this season started. I have now changed my opinions on all 3 based on their performances this season (Largly speaking, they all still have faults they need to address which is fair enough), we can criticise players dead easy but you have to give them the credit when it is deserved IMO.

:agree: There are certain posters who will never change their opinion once they have aired them, and will continue to criticise a player or the team even when things turn round for either or even both? :confused:

bingo70
05-01-2013, 12:51 PM
[/B]

Yup, i agree with most of that and Blackpools point about him being better than he was a few years ago, i think i have been fair with Stevenson, i was all for him starting against Hearts on Thursday as he played well against Celtic so i think the suggestion that some fans are out to get Stevenson or will never give him a chance is wide of the mark.

Not sure what it is with Lewis, i think he looks the part in that he's always busy but i just don't think he's effective either defensively or in attack when in midfield so maybe left back is going to be the position where he proves me wrong and makes it his own.

There's definately a place in the squad for him which is more than i was saying at the end of last season but right now i'm just not buying into the hype surrounding him whenever he comes on.

J-C
05-01-2013, 12:56 PM

We had Soares ( where now, lazy get ) Osbourne ( lazy carthorse ) Sproule ( not getting picked now) Francomb ( really ) Spoony ( was shocking last season )

Stevenson was the one bright spark from last season.

SMAXXA
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Yup, i agree with most of that and Blackpools point about him being better than he was a few years ago, i think i have been fair with Stevenson, i was all for him starting against Hearts on Thursday as he played well against Celtic so i think the suggestion that some fans are out to get Stevenson or will never give him a chance is wide of the mark.

Not sure what it is with Lewis, i think he looks the part in that he's always busy but i just don't think he's effective either defensively or in attack when in midfield so maybe left back is going to be the position where he proves me wrong and makes it his own.

There's definately a place in the squad for him which is more than i was saying at the end of last season but right now i'm just not buying into the hype surrounding him whenever he comes on.

I think im with you in that he would probably be best placed to make left back his position as feel we probably have better midfielders or will at least bring in better (hopefully with more of an attacking threat and a physical presence with hight). I agree he definatley has a place in the squad and he is a very good squad player to have, he will find it difficult to start games at left back with McGivern here, so maybe he can get a chance in the midfield and see if he can prove us wrong again and that he can be very effective in there?

Its funny cause I would have him in the midfield in the derby ahead of Claros but I would have Claros in ahead of him most other games when it is less frantic. Dont think theres too much between him and Taiwo though and Degan I feel will always start when fit.

bingo70
05-01-2013, 01:10 PM
We had Soares ( where now, lazy get ) Osbourne ( lazy carthorse ) Sproule ( not getting picked now) Francomb ( really ) Spoony ( was shocking last season )

Stevenson was the one bright spark from last season.

So we needed him to make things happen, (like Mcpake did in defence when he arrived) but he never.

When i see Stevenson lining up in midfield i'm pretty certain he won't cause the other team any threat when we're attacking and history tells me that we're likely to be over run in midfield when he's playing, why that is i don't know but i'm just not as confident as others he's the answer to our midfield problems, i don't think Thursday night would have been any different with him in there and i don't think our midfield would have performed as well as it did against Celtic last week if he'd been there.

I'm sure i'll get stick for having that opinion but i can't think of many games we've dominated when Lewis has played in midfield and i can't think of any occassions when he's looked dangerous. (other than the CIS cup game obviously but not including that as it was so long ago)

J-C
05-01-2013, 01:11 PM
I think im with you in that he would probably be best placed to make left back his position as feel we probably have better midfielders or will at least bring in better (hopefully with more of an attacking threat and a physical presence with hight). I agree he definatley has a place in the squad and he is a very good squad player to have, he will find it difficult to start games at left back with McGivern here, so maybe he can get a chance in the midfield and see if he can prove us wrong again and that he can be very effective in there?

Its funny cause I would have him in the midfield in the derby ahead of Claros but I would have Claros in ahead of him most other games when it is less frantic. Dont think theres too much between him and Taiwo though and Degan I feel will always start when fit.

Things will become clearer when we know who is staying beyond January.

If McGivern goes, the left back is his for the taking, if Claros goes, the he's a very capable defensive midfielder.

J-C
05-01-2013, 01:18 PM
So we needed him to make things happen, (like Mcpake did in defence when he arrived) but he never.

When i see Stevenson lining up in midfield i'm pretty certain he won't cause the other team any threat when we're attacking and history tells me that we're likely to be over run in midfield when he's playing, why that is i don't know but i'm just not as confident as others he's the answer to our midfield problems, i don't think Thursday night would have been any different with him in there and i don't think our midfield would have performed as well as it did against Celtic last week if he'd been there.

I'm sure i'll get stick for having that opinion but i can't think of many games we've dominated when Lewis has played in midfield and i can't think of any occassions when he's looked dangerous. (other than the CIS cup game obviously but not including that as it was so long ago)

You're trying to make him into an attacking threat where his strengths are defending and holding onto the ball.

Last season Soares was added to give us the attacking threat ( too bloody lazy tho ) and Osbourne was the more attack minded CM ( he never showed it enough tho )

This year we have no attack minded players except Cairney who's been playing wide left and out of position.

Not saying Stevenson is the full answer but he adds to the midfield with his ball winning and being able to hold onto the ball without panicking.

SMAXXA
05-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Things will become clearer when we know who is staying beyond January.

If McGivern goes, the left back is his for the taking, if Claros goes, the he's a very capable defensive midfielder.

I think you are right, still think we need another dimension in the midfield, if Claros goes I would like to see a more attaching threat, maybe Craig in and Cairney in the middle?

bingo70
05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
You're trying to make him into an attacking threat where his strengths are defending and holding onto the ball.

Last season Soares was added to give us the attacking threat ( too bloody lazy tho ) and Osbourne was the more attack minded CM ( he never showed it enough tho )

This year we have no attack minded players except Cairney who's been playing wide left and out of position.

Not saying Stevenson is the full answer but he adds to the midfield with his ball winning and being able to hold onto the ball without panicking.

I don't think i am i've just never seen him play when i thought he looked particularly solid as a defensive midfielder and what i do think he provides is a terrific engine so if he's going to make it in midfield it'll be as a box to box midfielder but until he gets more confidence in the final third he won't make it in that position so therefore if he's going to make a position his own it's likely to be at left back.

jacomo
06-01-2013, 06:29 PM
This Stevenson player sounds terrific, shame we didn't have him last season when our midfield was being over run every week and offered no support to our strikers......

Of course I'm stirring it a bit, I'd love lewis to get back into the team and prove me wrong, if he does do though he's going to have to start to have more confidence when he's going forward, too many times he does his good work in our half but when he gets within 40 yards of goal and either panics or doesn't have the confidence to do anything other than the safe ball.

As for the other night I thought we were being over run before he came on and I thought we were over run after he came on so I don't see the difference he made that everyone is talking about although in fairness I was watching the game in the pub so I'm happy to concede I may be wrong with that one.

Don't think you're being unfair - LS always seems more of a link player who enables others to express themselves.

As I said above, he's played in many of our best performances in recent years but he's essentially a water carrier. Every good team needs one but you can't expect him to impose his will on a game cos it wont happen.

Jonnyboy
06-01-2013, 08:30 PM

Not from me (for a change :greengrin)

I think your views on Lewis are valid and I acknowledge that you see more good in him that you used to :wink:

This point about the final third though ..... it's not Lewis' thing to burst into the box McGinlay style and grab a goal. I wish it was ... hell I bet he wishes it was too :greengrin I do feel however that he does provide significant forward passes at times and rarely gets the credit for them. In fact I'd wager that when he and Deegan are in our midfield together, Lewis offers more constructive forward passes than Deegan does!

One other general point .... can anyone explain why Lewis doesn't join in pre match with those taking shots at goal? I'd argue he should as it might just give him the confidence to have a pop during a game.

62Hibs70
07-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Lewis will always get unfair criticism, thinks its cause he's not progressed how some fans would of liked. People saying he doesn't create enought offensively aren't looking close enough at his role in the team, he's simply to break up play and keep the ball when we have it. For me he does this well and rarely spends to much time on the ball. Him not being able to complete physically is nonsense too, rarely loses a challenge to anyone and certainly never bottles a challenge. People forget he was starting at start of season before getting a injury which kept him out, when he came back the team were playin good so was hard toget back into it and as soon as theirs a space Fenlon gives it to Lewis so e clearly see's something in him and i think its a matter of time before he's a regular again

For me he's every bit as good as deegan and taiwo but for whatever reason, maybe just cause its a fresh face all the fans hype them up, I personally don't rate deegan at all and best thing he has done is bin templeton in the derby