PDA

View Full Version : Cairney Substituion

Fergus52
03-01-2013, 09:43 PM
I am normally one of Fenlons biggest supporters, however I found this substitution baffling.

He's our main creative threat and had just played the best pass of the match to put Doyle through, made no sense at all IMO.

I was happy to see Spoony coming on, but it should have been for one of the three central midfielders.

Andy74
03-01-2013, 09:45 PM
He was rubbish tonight and Wotherspoon was an improvement.

hibee_girl
03-01-2013, 09:46 PM

:agree:

He had one good pass when he was on and it just so happened to be in the minute before he was subbed.

Humo
03-01-2013, 09:47 PM
What baffles me is Fenlon's consistent playing of Doyle against celtic he had 2 great chances he misses them both and again against hearts i would much rather kept cairney on and taken of doyle or put sproule on for doyle later on in the game

Heisenberg
03-01-2013, 09:47 PM
That pass was all he did though. He's looked a different player in the past few weeks, reluctant to go passed a man and always playing back the way. Hope the break does him good and he comes back fresh on the 19th.

NorthNorfolkHFC
03-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Taking Cairney off is inexcusable!! He is the only one that goes forward. Why keep Claros, Deegan and Taiwo on? Fenlon just needed to change tactics to accommodate Cairney and Griffiths but he again showed his tactical ineptitude.

Andy74
What baffles me is Fenlon's consistent playing of Doyle against celtic he had 2 great chances he misses them both and again against hearts i would much rather kept cairney on and taken of doyle or put sproule on for doyle later on in the game

Aye. Who'd keep playing one of top scorers in the SPL?

Fergus52
I still feel against their defence going to a 442 would have made more sense, with Spoony, Cairney, Doyle and Griffiths all on the pitch.

Judas Iscariot
His ONLY positive contribution all game was the pass to Doyle early in the 2nd half, other than that he done nowt..

Quite right to hooked at that time

Fergus52
03-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Aye. Who'd keep playing one of top scorers in the SPL?

I know, some hibs fans seem desperate to create scapegoats. Doyle has consistently been one of our better performers this season.

hibee_girl
03-01-2013, 09:49 PM
That pass was all he did though. He's looked a different player in the past few weeks, reluctant to go passed a man and always playing back the way. Hope the break does him good and he comes back fresh on the 19th.

:agree:

He's looked knackered the past few games

inglisavhibs
03-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I am normally one of Fenlons biggest supporters, however I found this substitution baffling.

He's our main creative threat and had just played the best pass of the match to put Doyle through, made no sense at all IMO.

I was happy to see Spoony coming on, but it should have been for one of the three central midfielders.
4-5-1 didn't work at all. Our three central midfielders were ineffective to say the least. Taking Cairney off beggars belief! A good point but a dreadful performance. Thank god we have a good back four and goalkeeper.

FitbaFolkKen
03-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Taking Cairney off is inexcusable!! He is the only one that goes forward. Why keep Claros, Deegan and Taiwo on? Fenlon just needed to change tactics to accommodate Cairney and Griffiths but he again showed his tactical ineptitude.

I thought he looked tired, the pitch was heavy and that would make it hard for Cairney. Normally he is one of our more positive threats but I think he made the right move as Wotherspoon had a positive impact.

PeeJay
03-01-2013, 09:51 PM

Was surprised to see Cairney go off - Taiwo would have been my choice...

Devilstorment
03-01-2013, 09:52 PM
should have been deegan or taiwo to come off in my opinion. but I think both of those are defensive midfielders and the idea must have been to have been attacking mind for attacking mind.

SkintHibby
03-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Fenlon took the simple view that a substitiution was required and he looked to hook the poorest player on the park at the time. Good call from him IMHO.

Likewise later on with Stevenson.

Hibs90
Wotherspoon wasn't much of an improvement. Cairney was honking until that pass though.

easty
Cairney did nowt tonight, it was right to take him off.

SkintHibby
03-01-2013, 09:54 PM
should have been deegan or taiwo to come off in my opinion. but I think both of those are defensive midfielders and the idea must have been to have been attacking mind for attacking mind.

Deegan?

You serious!!!!

easty
03-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Deegan?

You serious!!!!

Deegan was decent, I thought so anyway.

Devilstorment
03-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Deegan?

You serious!!!!

Maybe i was blinded by the quality football on display but i never really saw much out of him today.

stoneyburn hibs
03-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Fenlon took the simple view that a substitiution was required and he looked to hook the poorest player on the park at the time. Good call from him IMHO.

Likewise later on with Stevenson.

Yes my thoughts too

Paisley Hibby
03-01-2013, 10:05 PM
4-5-1 didn't work at all. Our three central midfielders were ineffective to say the least. Taking Cairney off beggars belief! A good point but a dreadful performance. Thank god we have a good back four and goalkeeper.

Agree :agree: I thought we were completely overrun in midfield when Cairney went off. Once Stevenson came on for Taiwo we improved again.

FWIW I think we were set up to play defensively and hit on the break as Hearts can't score to save themselves. Not pretty but it nearly worked.

Tyler Durden
03-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Hibs entire midfield was very poor, including Cairney. However at least he's shown he is capable of creating, as he did with the pass of the match.

I'd have preferred us to move him central but Fenlon was obviously set on being defensive and sitting in for a 0-0.

Claros has been average at best in 4 or 5 derbies now and personally I won't miss him. Better putting our budget towards Liam Craig IMO, more likely to impact this type of game.

Golden Bear
03-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Was Taiwo on the pitch in the second half? I think the point is that the entire midfield were all much the same so did it really matter who was substituted.?

Peevemor
03-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Some of the posts on this thread are mind-boggling.

Cairney wasn't having one of his better games and, even on a good day, he's not the fastest.

Spoony was far more likely to do something on the break (because if we were going to score it was going to come from that) and, as he has shown a few times this season, he can produce the odd goal from nothing.

Exactly the right substitution IMHO.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Hibs entire midfield was very poor, including Cairney. However at least he's shown he is capable of creating, as he did with the pass of the match.

I'd have preferred us to move him central but Fenlon was obviously set on being defensive and sitting in for a 0-0.

Claros has been average at best in 4 or 5 derbies now and personally I won't miss him. Better putting our budget towards Liam Craig IMO, more likely to impact this type of game.

100%. We need to find a way of getting him central so he can pick passes - strange sub i thought.

Stevenson made a difference when he came on for Taiwo.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM

Cairney wasn't having one of his better games and, even on a good day, he's not the fastest.

Spoony was far more likely to do something on the break (because if we were going to score it was going to come from that) and, as he has shown a few times this season, he can produce the odd goal from nothing.

I see what you're saying but he's the type of player that can do something from nothing. If Wotherspoon was to come on for i'd have liked Cairney to go central and Taiwo/Claros to have come off.

lucky
03-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Cairney was poor tonight but so was the rest of the midfield. But then they had no chance with defence just lumping the ball forward all the time.

Judas Iscariot
03-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Taiwo was the worst of the lot, don't see what he does at all...

We desperately need someone with creativity in CM, too many samey samey players..

sbell1875
03-01-2013, 11:26 PM

Was miles away but shocking decision to book Spoony for a dive. He's knocked the ball into acres of space so it begs the question why would he go down?

Piqué
03-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Wondered why Spoony didn't play on the right when he came on. He's proven before he can beat McHattie down that flank. Also would have gotten Doyle further away from Zaliukas so that he might have had more chance in the air.

HibeeN
03-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Was miles away but shocking decision to book Spoony for a dive. He's knocked the ball into acres of space so it begs the question why would he go down?

Was thinking this as well. There was no reason for him to go down there, but I've not seen a replay so don't know if he went down easy or not. I didn't think so at the time.

NorthNorfolkHFC
03-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Deegan was decent, I thought so anyway.

Deegan had a nightmare tonight. I saw nothing positive from him other than daft fouls.

It's not so much what he does but what he fails to do, he and his midfield cohorts were second to almost every single ball tonight.

That is worrying!

Viva_Palmeiras
03-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Said to the guy next to me subbed for having a crap haircut. Edging towards a mullet dear oh dear!
Literally Men against boys at the end a little miffed we couldnt edge it but derby pickings at Tynie have been poor over the years but we stood up to them and kept our "run" intact.

LaMotta
04-01-2013, 12:12 AM
I dont care how little Cairney had done in the game. He has proved all season that he can create something out of nothing - as he proved again with his pass to Doyle.

After taking him off we had no chance of scoring.

Would have taken Doyle off first. Of course if Cairney was carrying an injury then the sub made sense.

3pm
04-01-2013, 12:22 AM

Wotherspoon wasn't an improvement.