PDA

View Full Version : think there might be some hibbies at Amazon

barcahibs
01-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Amazon have Ted Brack's "The game on new years day; hearts 0 Hibs 7" in their 12 days of kindle sale today for £1.19. Strange coincidence that they chose today to add it? :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Game-New-Years-ebook/dp/B009SMABOQ/ref=br_lf_m_1000694023_2_40_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=358942047&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000694023&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1MD9SNTTK6A5Y9BN6SR8

barcahibs
01-01-2013, 12:22 AM
can't seem to get the link to work on my phone sorry just head to amazon and hit the 12 days of kindle sale link

Future17
01-01-2013, 03:16 AM
can't seem to get the link to work on my phone sorry just head to amazon and hit the 12 days of kindle sale link

Fantastic book - get involved!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+game+on+new+years+day+ted+brack&sprefix=the+game+on+n%2Cdigital-text%2C319

davcar
01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Now to steal the mrs new kindle! :thumbsup:

lucky
01-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Tax dodging *******s don't buy nothing through amazon. It's because of companies like them that UK workers lose their jobs

1two
01-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Tax dodging *******s don't buy nothing through amazon. It's because of companies like them that UK workers lose their jobs

Does that mean we shouldn't be buying tickets for tynecastle too

CropleyWasGod
01-01-2013, 10:51 AM

Disagree. It's the Government that makes the laws, and the Revenue that enforce them. Any anger should be directed at them.

lord bunberry
01-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Disagree. It's the Government that makes the laws, and the Revenue that enforce them. Any anger should be directed at them.

Does it not have something to do with tax treatys that are agreed with other country's and if the government closed these loopholes then it would mean that other country's would do likewise therefore harming British companies abroad

CropleyWasGod
01-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Does it not have something to do with tax treatys that are agreed with other country's and if the government closed these loopholes then it would mean that other country's would do likewise therefore harming British companies abroad

That is part of it.

However, that is still in the Government's court, which is my point. Companies have a duty to maximise profits, and hence shareholders' returns, and if they do that legitimately (ie within the law), they cannot be blamed for "tax dodging".

lord bunberry
01-01-2013, 11:02 AM
That is part of it.

However, that is still in the Government's court, which is my point. Companies have a duty to maximise profits, and hence shareholders' returns, and if they do that legitimately (ie within the law), they cannot be blamed for "tax dodging".

Is this likely to change when the rate of corporation tax is lowered here

CropleyWasGod
01-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Is this likely to change when the rate of corporation tax is lowered here

Changing the rate of tax is always a bit of a gamble. It can attract foreign-based companies to the country, but that is offset by the lower tax take from UK companies.

I don't think that shaving a point or two off the main rate will make much difference to the policies of the likes of Amazon. What would do that, IMO, would be standardised EU-wide rates. That is an unlikely scenario, and even that might tempt them into basing themselves outside the EU.

JoJo_07
01-01-2013, 11:12 AM
I see some jambo has left a review. I also see they have an amazon wish list associated with their nickname which lets you see their real name ;-).

hibs0666
01-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Changing the rate of tax is always a bit of a gamble. It can attract foreign-based companies to the country, but that is offset by the lower tax take from UK companies.

I don't think that shaving a point or two off the main rate will make much difference to the policies of the likes of Amazon. What would do that, IMO, would be standardised EU-wide rates. That is an unlikely scenario, and even that might tempt them into basing themselves outside the EU.

Corporation tax is unsustainable and will not exist in 20 years IMHO. :wink:

Golden Bear
01-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Amazon are a brilliant organisation ------------ absolutely no complaints from me in the many dealings I've had with them.

CropleyWasGod
01-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Corporation tax is unsustainable and will not exist in 20 years IMHO. :wink:

I've heard that theory before, and can understand it. I think a prospective independent Scottish Government would be ahead of the game on that.

IMO, the next 20 years or so will see a massive increase in self-employment amongst the current young generation, given the lack of job prospects, and the tax system (whether it be EU, UK or Scottish) has to be set up in a way that encourages that.

Devilstorment
01-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Dont forget Amazon employ a lot of people in the UK, and due to their lower than highstreet prices mean that a lot of people will buy from them, thus pay VAT which all adds to the governments coffers and helps us work our way out of the current economic climate. I just bought a TV from them cause it was a good 300 quid cheaper than the highstreet. Safe to say i wouldnt have bought one if amazon (or an equivalent) werent operating in the UK.

CropleyWasGod
01-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Dont forget Amazon employ a lot of people in the UK, and due to their lower than highstreet prices mean that a lot of people will buy from them, thus pay VAT which all adds to the governments coffers and helps us work our way out of the current economic climate. I just bought a TV from them cause it was a good 300 quid cheaper than the highstreet. Safe to say i wouldnt have bought one if amazon (or an equivalent) werent operating in the UK.

:agree: and thereby hangs part of the Government's dilemma. Hammer them for CT, and they will move their operations elsewhere, and the UK would lose out on VAT, PAYE & NI; local councils, such as our own, would lose out on Rates.

Billy Whizz
01-01-2013, 11:30 AM
:agree: and thereby hangs part of the Government's dilemma. Hammer them for CT, and they will move their operations elsewhere, and the UK would lose out on VAT, PAYE & NI; local councils, such as our own, would lose out on Rates.

Don't get me started on local government and business rates!

Hibby Bairn
01-01-2013, 11:34 AM

It's because of companies like them that UK workers have jobs. So if you don't buy from them then that is why UK workers will lose their jobs. And UK Govt will lose millions in tax revenues through VAT and PAYE at the same time.

hibee_nation
01-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I see some jambo has left a review. I also see they have an amazon wish list associated with their nickname which lets you see their real name ;-).

Has a I Love James Corden Mug on his wishlist , what a sap. :lolyam:

Brooster
01-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up Barcahibs. I've downloaded it to my Kindle.

hibbiedon
01-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Amazon have Ted Brack's "The game on new years day; hearts 0 Hibs 7" in their 12 days of kindle sale today for £1.19. Strange coincidence that they chose today to add it? :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Game-New-Years-ebook/dp/B009SMABOQ/ref=br_lf_m_1000694023_2_40_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=358942047&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000694023&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1MD9SNTTK6A5Y9BN6SR8

Thanks for the info I have just got it cheers

derek0762
01-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Same here just downloaded it to my iPad on kindle, will start reading it now. :-)

VickMackie
01-01-2013, 01:23 PM
I said ten years ago the Internet would kill the high street. How can you compete with a few servers, a web page, delivery drivers to your door and a warehouse for a cost base?

I know the world is moving on but I think it is contributing to unemployment across the UK and elsewhere.

HiBremian
01-01-2013, 01:54 PM
I said ten years ago the Internet would kill the high street. How can you compete with a few servers, a web page, delivery drivers to your door and a warehouse for a cost base?

I know the world is moving on but I think it is contributing to unemployment across the UK and elsewhere.

Well it's great to be able to get a copy of this book here in Bremen - the local bookshop wouldn't be interested. But there's still plenty I buy in the wee shops that's local here - beer, food, wheels all made locally. :thumbsup:

Andy Bee
01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
I've heard that theory before, and can understand it. I think a prospective independent Scottish Government would be ahead of the game on that.

IMO, the next 20 years or so will see a massive increase in self-employment amongst the current young generation, given the lack of job prospects, and the tax system (whether it be EU, UK or Scottish) has to be set up in a way that encourages that.

It's happening now because of the agency fair pay regulations brought in a year ago, you either go self employed to allow the agencies to beat the regs or don't get the work.

lyonhibs
01-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Wish they'd whapped this deal on a few days ago when I put about £5 for the Kindle version.

Worth every penny though!!

linlithgowhibbie
01-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Got it as well, what a system, paid for and downloaded in 30 seconds. How do they do that:top marks?

JohnStephens91
01-01-2013, 10:03 PM

Out of all the things to be ripping into him about you seem to have neglected; Singsta: Take That for the PS3, Danny Dyer's Football Foul Ups, Olly Murs 7 Deadly Sins of Football and X-Factor: Solus which is for the PS3. :lolyam:

cabbageandribs1875
01-01-2013, 10:07 PM

and he likes tracksuit bottoms :confused: i'm positive it's john McGlynn

Swedish hibee
02-01-2013, 01:01 PM

:faf: