PDA

View Full Version : Good win for the Buddies

Jim44
30-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Dunde Utd 3 St Mirren 4

iwasthere1972
30-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Dunde Utd 3 St Mirren 4

Agree. Good result. Are we the only team Dundee United have beaten at Tannadice in the league?

Northernhibee
30-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Houston's coat must be on a shoogly peg by now.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Shows you the highs and lows. United looked a decent bet for second at the start of the season.

bingo70
30-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Houston's coat must be on a shoogly peg by now.

Surely not, he's done a terrific job there

Barney McGrew
30-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I see that St Mirren's win today has led to a wee exchange on twitter between Richard Gordon and Scott Wilson, with the latter (a paid employee of Hertz I assume) referring to them as 'Snake Midden''.

Classy as always from them, but good to know that 86 still hurts them really, really hard.

Oh, and well done to the Buddies too :greengrin

Hibercelona
30-12-2012, 06:08 PM
I see that St Mirren's win today has led to a wee exchange on twitter between Richard Gordon and Scott Wilson, with the latter (a paid employee of Hertz I assume) referring to them as 'Snake Midden''.

Classy as always from them, but good to know that 86 still hurts them really, really hard.

Why? What happened in 86 that has them so worked up? :confused:

Mr White
30-12-2012, 06:09 PM
See all these high scoring end to end games? Sure fire sign of armageddon by the way.

Barney McGrew
30-12-2012, 06:11 PM

St Mirren pumped them 6-2 at Love Street and it meant they lost the league on goal difference. It must be that, surely they couldn't get upset about anything else to do with them?

HibbyAndy
30-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Agree. Good result. Are we the only team Dundee United have beaten at Tannadice in the league?

They beat Dundee 3-0 anaw.

Seveno
30-12-2012, 06:29 PM
They beat Dundee 3-0 anaw.

I thought Dundee won in '86 or am I getting confused. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
30-12-2012, 06:32 PM

No idea.

They won the league and cup double that year so I don't know what else it could be. :dunno:

McSwanky
30-12-2012, 09:35 PM
St Mirren pumped them 6-2 at Love Street and it meant they lost the league on goal difference. It must be that, surely they couldn't get upset about anything else to do with them?

Wasn't it goal average? Or am I thinking of another incident?

PeterboroHibee
30-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Surely not, he's done a terrific job there

He did really well when he first took over from Levein but its slowly gone downhill since then. Apart from the odd player hes picked up, a lot of his signings have been poor and hes struggled to replace the players who were brought in under Levein. United fans probably have high standards after the way their team has been the last few seasons (which is probably fair enough), but they arent happy, and I dont really blame them.

yeezus.
30-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Great result - just read that Dundee United haven't won at home in the league since August. My predition of Dundee surviving is looking increasingly unlikely! I think all the teams who went up with the demise of OldHun are bottom - apart from the Toon.

iwasthere1972
31-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Just watched the highlights on Sportscene and the quote of the day must be from Jamie Langfield. Speaking about Dundee United's defence he went on to say "It's no wonder that the manager is tearing his hair out". Quality.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-12-2012, 10:57 AM
For as much as Dundee United used to be fairly solid looking at the back, some of those goals, if not them all were real howlers.

S4uzee
31-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Couldn't believe when looking at the table that if Celtic had beaten us on saturday that St.Mirren would have only been 4 points behind us after yesterday considering how bad they were for a spell

--------
31-12-2012, 02:21 PM

Don't be ridiculous - no team could be so awful as to throw away the League Championship by losing 2-0 on the last day of the season TWICE?

Oh yes, so they could. :devil:

Barney McGrew
31-12-2012, 04:42 PM

You're thinking of when Hertz lay down to Killie to let them win the league :agree:

LancashireHibby
31-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Was speaking to St Mirren's chief exec earlier today, nice guy. Also sorted some freebies for me for when we play there in February!

Part/Time Supporter
01-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Interesting article about the United situation in the Herald today

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/comment-malign-grip-tightens-on-dundee-united-as-houston-uncertainly-persists.19807613

key point:

Three months have now passed since the issue of Peter Houston's contract was raised by the manager himself in an unsubtle attempt to prompt the offer of new terms. Talks took place. No offer was made and negotiations continued between Thompson and John Colquhoun, Houston's agent. The latest bulletin on the matter was issued by the manager earlier this month. "If it's a similar contract I'd be happy to stay," he said. "I've been on that salary for three years and if it's something similar I'd be more than happy to keep it."

Therein lies the rub. United cannot afford to maintain a level of recompense negotiated in the wake of the Scottish Cup triumph in May 2010 and skewed by the remarkably rich packages received first by Ian McCall – somewhere in the region of £250,000 – then Craig Levein. Houston, consequently, is the second highest-paid manager in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League with a basic wage more than double than that of many of his peers.

Understandably, he is not prepared to relinquish that status and, with Thompson both unable and unwilling to continue paying out just shy of £200,000 per annum, there is only one possible outcome: Houston will depart when his contact expires in the summer. "It's something I'd like to get settled and put to bed," he said a few weeks ago. "The sooner it happens – or doesn't happen – the better, so we all know what's happening."

sbell1875
01-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Just went on that arse of an announcers twitter page. Nice to see an official employee of the club acting in such a dignified manner.

They will be, until they die, an absolute sham of a football club.

Jonnyboy
01-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Was speaking to St Mirren's chief exec earlier today, nice guy. Also sorted some freebies for me for when we play there in February!

Was it Stewart Gilmour or is he the Chairman perhaps?

LancashireHibby
01-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Stewart Gilmour is the chairman, I was speaking to Brian Caldwell.

Pretty Boy
01-01-2013, 08:58 PM

I'm assuming he's the chairman because I can't see Stewart Gilmour and nice guy appearing in the same sentence too often.

Jonnyboy
01-01-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm assuming he's the chairman because I can't see Stewart Gilmour and nice guy appearing in the same sentence too often.

That's what I was thinking too :greengrin