PDA

View Full Version : Danny Handling ..

StevieC
30-12-2012, 06:29 PM
.. wisdom beyond his years?

91m25s: Danny collects the ball, holds off a challenge to keep possession, lays ball back for it to be played into the corner flag then chases it down to block the ball and restrict Celtic to a throw in at corner flag. Time wasted - 40s

92m25s: Danny collects the ball and plays an inch perfect ball that pretty much stops right next to the corner flag which Wotherspoon can chase down and restrict Celtic to nothing more than a throw in. Time wasted - 35s

Game over.

For a player so young to manage to run down almost half of the allotted injury time must be worth a mention?

Hibercelona
30-12-2012, 06:33 PM
It's something you'd never see Hibs do in the past. But it's great to see us doing it now.

Some people say its unsporting, but you're entitled to do what you want with the ball during open play and it's something that you see clubs in the EPL do as well.

So many times in the past have we lost last minute goals, when it could have been so easily prevented.

cam75
30-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Big up to the young guy !!!!
Hope he grafts hard and has a good future at hibs.

bingo70
30-12-2012, 06:36 PM
I think we're clutching at straws there, he did the right things but hitting the ball into the corner and running after it surely isn't cause to give him a thread is it?!

I said it on the pm board last week but when him and Caldwell come on they need to start offering more of a threat, they both work hard but I don't see them causing any threat at all and as forwards that's what we need from them.

Obviously I don't include yesterday in that as he was only on for about 3 mins

Hibercelona
30-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I think we're clutching at straws there, he did the right things but hitting the ball into the corner and running after it surely isn't cause to give him a thread is it?!

I said it on the pm board last week but when him and Caldwell come on they need to start offering more of a threat, they both work hard but I don't see them causing any threat at all and as forwards that's what we need from them.

It may not seem like a big deal, but Celtic are notorious for scoring late late goals.

It's the little things like that, which can make all the difference between 3 points or 1.

Kaff
30-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Not relevant to game play but when i watch the skills that these young boys have in their halftime warmup/kickabout it is pleasing to watch. Just hope they can develop the other attributes required to make it big.
Or is this a fault in the Scottish game that these skilfull guys are found a little wanting at the physical aspects of the game and eventually drift away (Kurtis Byrne etc)?

Hibercelona
30-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Not relevant to game play but when i watch the skills that these young boys have in their halftime warmup/kickabout it is pleasing to watch. Just hope they can develop the other attributes required to make it big.
Or is this a fault in the Scottish game that these skilfull guys are found a little wanting at the physical aspects of the game and eventually drift away (Kurtis Byrne etc)?

As a player, you need to strike a balance between strength and skill.

If you have plenty of skill but not enough strength, you'll just be outfought regardless of what party tricks you try to pull off.

If you have plenty of strength but not enough skill, you'll be labelled a huddy and will end up at a club like Hearts.

brog
30-12-2012, 06:49 PM

91m25s: Danny collects the ball, holds off a challenge to keep possession, lays ball back for it to be played into the corner flag then chases it down to block the ball and restrict Celtic to a throw in at corner flag. Time wasted - 40s

92m25s: Danny collects the ball and plays an inch perfect ball that pretty much stops right next to the corner flag which Wotherspoon can chase down and restrict Celtic to nothing more than a throw in. Time wasted - 35s

Game over.

For a player so young to manage to run down almost half of the allotted injury time must be worth a mention?

I had exactly the same thoughts. For the 2nd one it was like a golf wedge shot, almost had backspin! Hopefully going forward he'll get opportunity to show the more positive aspects of his game!

Seveno
30-12-2012, 07:26 PM

With all due respect, I think that you are missing the point.

A young player coming on at that stage in a big match could well have tried all he could to make a name for himself and ended up giving away the ball in a dangerous position. Instead, he used his head and played for the team.

Mr White
30-12-2012, 07:36 PM
As a player, you need to strike a balance between strength and skill.

If you have plenty of skill but not enough strength, you'll just be outfought regardless of what party tricks you try to pull off.

If you have plenty of strength but not enough skill, you'll be labelled a huddy and will end up at a club like Hearts.
confidence too, brown deek goc thompson whitikar and fletcher had it and the skill to match, Id love to see Ross and Danny come on and look like they believe they can take the league by the scruff of the neck.

StevieC
30-12-2012, 09:16 PM

Possibly, I'll let the admins decide if it needs to be merged.

I was just pleasantly surprised that such a young player had the vision to see that keeping Celtc penned into a corner would prevent them from creating any chances, that might have denied us a win. As mentioned above, you might have expected a young player to be more likely to be thinking about attack and making a name for himself in the short time he was on the park. If he'd chosen to launch that final ball to Doyle, as you might have expected, it may well have ran through to the keeper and immediately be launched towards the Hibs goal.

Wotherspiniesta
30-12-2012, 09:22 PM

Game over.

That was Hibs' throw aswell by the way. Spoony done great to wrestle it back from Wilson.

I like Danny, think he has a lot to offer us :aok:

JimBHibees
30-12-2012, 10:02 PM

I was just pleasantly surprised that such a young player had the vision to see that keeping Celtc penned into a corner would prevent them from creating any chances, that might have denied us a win. As mentioned above, you might have expected a young player to be more likely to be thinking about attack and making a name for himself in the short time he was on the park. If he'd chosen to launch that final ball to Doyle, as you might have expected, it may well have ran through to the keeper and immediately be launched towards the Hibs goal.

Completely agree thought his ball up the line into the corner which stayed in play was a great ball at that time of the game.

Archie70
30-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Its this kind of attitude that helps win matches. Similar to the way we killed the game in the corner against the yams in the cup. Would have been all too easy to lose possession and from there anything can happen. I'm sure we all remember the 4 -4 game!

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Sometimes football can be in some situations all about decision making, and the lad made the right call twice. Well done Danny. :top marks

Bostonhibby
30-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Its this kind of attitude that helps win matches. Similar to the way we killed the game in the corner against the yams in the cup. Would have been all too easy to lose possession and from there anything can happen. I'm sure we all remember the 4 -4 game!

:agree: Was delighted with the way Handling did the right thing against celtc, brought my blood pressure right doon!

Forza Fred
30-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Sometimes football can be in some situations all about decision making, and the lad made the right call twice. Well done Danny. :top marks

Exactly, he did exactly what was reequired at the tine, given the circumstances, and showed a pleasing level of maturity.

Sudds_1
30-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Up till now I had almost forgotten that one! :rolleyes::grr: