PDA

View Full Version : Georgie best

heretoday
30-12-2012, 03:53 PM
I am one of a small band to have had the honour of meeting the great man when he played for us in the late 70s.

Anyone else have memories of George?

Hibbyradge
30-12-2012, 03:55 PM
I met him in the Hibs club.

He signed my ticket stub from the Scotland v Wales game at Anfield "To Spain '82, George Best".

I lost it. :boo hoo:

...WentToMowAnSPL
30-12-2012, 04:02 PM
My Uncle who knew Tom Hart, and his family were out having a meal with Mr George Best probably the most famous footballer on the planet ... My Aunt was getting on like a house on fire with Mr Best, much to the amazement of My Uncle and cousin... all went well. until she said "Tell me Mr Best.. what is it you do ? " :greengrin

mim
30-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Used to meet George quite regularly in the wee William Hill shop in William Street, when he had a flat in Palmerston Place. Occasionally went across to the pub for an orange juice with him (never once saw him take alcohol).

hibees 7062
30-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I remember George coming into Jackie MacNamaras new year party and telling everybody to watch their wifes :greengrin

Bostonhibby
30-12-2012, 05:39 PM
My Mum met him when he opened an exhaust centre at Piershill - she won a draw and he presented whatever the prize was, and I seen him in Jingling Geordies in Fleshmarket Close just before a cup tie with Ayr Utd, I think it was - he was mixing with quite a few of the fans, think Tony Higgins was also in attendance, George never played in that game and was certainly enjoying the hospitality. I loved seeing him play for us, was at every game - class act even then, never had to run much as the ball always went where he wanted it to go.

Billy McKirdy
30-12-2012, 05:48 PM
My Mum met him when he opened an exhaust centre at Piershill - she won a draw and he presented whatever the prize was, and I seen him in Jingling Geordies in Fleshmarket Close just before a cup tie with Ayr Utd, I think it was - he was mixing with quite a few of the fans, think Tony Higgins was also in attendance, George never played in that game and was certainly enjoying the hospitality. I loved seeing him play for us, was at every game - class act even then, never had to run much as the ball always went where he wanted it to go.

That's when I met him (and his wife Angie), I was a kid from Piershill and it was the opening of the Euro Exhaust Centre, a Tom Farmer/Kwik Fit company, I got his and Angie's autographs, later stolen by some 'friends' of mine :confused:

The final picture in the back of the book written about George's time with Hibs has myself and other kids waiting to get the signature of the Fifth Beatle :wink:

Bostonhibby
30-12-2012, 05:56 PM
That's when I met him (and his wife Angie), I was a kid from Piershill and it was the opening of the Euro Exhaust Centre, a Tom Farmer/Kwik Fit company, I got his and Angie's autographs, later stolen by some 'friends' of mine :confused:

The final picture in the back of the book written about George's time with Hibs has myself and other kids waiting to get the signature of the Fifth Beatle :wink:

Small world :greengrin I was having a beer in Porters at the time so missed the great man! I have an original picture of him signing for us, will post it up if I can find it.

weecounty hibby
30-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I got my picture taken with him and he signed my programme before a match at ER, don't know who it was against. We were going to the centre stand for the match and met him at the players entrance inside the big gates. I'm sure there was a little shop selling Hibs stuff inside there but it was a long time ago. Any way he was a gent and I can just remember as a 10/11 year old being totally star struck to meet one of the greatest footballers who ever lived. Still have the photo and autographed programme

PatHead
30-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Small world :greengrin I was having a beer in Porters at the time so missed the great man! I have an original picture of him signing for us, will post it up if I can find it.

I was at the tyre centre as well and met George. By the way my Uncle Michael (Innes) used to drink in Porters all the time. Did you know him?

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Is that the tyre place where the manager drunk 14 pints and burned the place down?

PatHead
30-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Is that the tyre place where the manager drunk 14 pints and burned the place down?

Yes indeedy

Bostonhibby
30-12-2012, 09:27 PM
I was at the tyre centre as well and met George. By the way my Uncle Michael (Innes) used to drink in Porters all the time. Did you know him?

Don't remember the name but over the years many of my family drank there, dad had a yard behind it and 2 of my cousins worked in the bar. Guys I knew were Roy Bird, Kenny Moyes, Frank McKenzie, Eddie Cairns, Joe Aimers, Andy Bull, Stu Williamson, Jack O'Connor, Davie Cattenach to name but a few. Will mention Michael to my cousins to see if their paths crossed.

Bostonhibby
30-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Heres Bestie putting pen to paper.

PatHead
30-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Don't remember the name but over the years many of my family drank there, dad had a yard behind it and 2 of my cousins worked in the bar. Guys I knew were Roy Bird, Kenny Moyes, Frank McKenzie, Eddie Cairns, Joe Aimers, Andy Bull, Stu Williamson, Jack O'Connor, Davie Cattenach to name but a few. Will mention Michael to my cousins to see if their paths crossed.

He lived in the Square, was left to hold the front during the DD evacuations and was made a prisoner of war, walked to Poland from France. Went into Porters everyday so I'm sure they will know him. Lovely old guy

Bostonhibby
30-12-2012, 09:36 PM
He lived in the Square, was left to hold the front during the DD evacuations and was made a prisoner of war, walked to Poland from France. Went into Porters everyday so I'm sure they will know him. Lovely old guy

Wow, he certainly lived, Porters was full of characters in the lates 70's and early 80's, soundls like he'd fit right in! My mates Roy & Frankie both lived in the square as well, sadly both dead now....... Never seen George Best there though!

Billy McKirdy
31-12-2012, 12:21 AM

That got me thinking of old Mr Ingles who lived in 12 the West square, he was a Japanese prisoner of war and had a hard time of it then, he also drank in Porters. I knew Frank McKenzie well, he was a regular stop off on the new year rounds :thumbsup: great guy, sadly missed :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
31-12-2012, 08:44 PM

It's when I met him too. Great player, great guy and a brilliant deal on my new exhaust :greengrin

wookie70
31-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Met him and his Mrs Angie in the Exhaust Centre too. Came accross as a decent sort. I remember Jim Watt opening a Supermarket down Granton around the same time. No x factor rejects back then

Jack
01-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Used to meet George quite regularly in the wee William Hill shop in William Street, when he had a flat in Palmerston Place. Occasionally went across to the pub for an orange juice with him (never once saw him take alcohol).

I lived two doors down from him, had fairly regular chats with him, Angie and his whole family when they came to visit - mostly when they were out walking their lean, mean dug!

Angie was a lovely person and I reckon probably the most beautiful woman I have ever met without makeup on :-)

Jack
01-01-2013, 11:19 AM
My Uncle who knew Tom Hart, and his family were out having a meal with Mr George Best probably the most famous footballer on the planet ... My Aunt was getting on like a house on fire with Mr Best, much to the amazement of My Uncle and cousin... all went well. until she said "Tell me Mr Best.. what is it you do ? " :greengrin

See above.

My thick as **** step father and his equally thick pal were walking their dogs in the private gardens at the end of Palmerston Place when they met this lovely guy who had just moved in and was playing for Hibs.

Who was it I asked, not daring to think it could be him.

George something was the reply.

Even after I screamed George Best it still hadn't sunk in who it was he had spoken to. The whole conversation was an utter embarrassment but GB was gracious and polite, but I'll bet he was having a hoot to himself inside.

Killiehibbie
01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Jimmy your Dad? Porters was a good pub much better than that place next door.

Bostonhibby
01-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Jimmy your Dad? Porters was a good pub much better than that place next door.

Will PM you.

HKhibby
01-01-2013, 05:17 PM
I am one of a small band to have had the honour of meeting the great man when he played for us in the late 70s.

Anyone else have memories of George?

I used to chat to him quiet alot when i was the security manager of a hotel in london, he always used to look for me i was around, some of the company that he kept up with left alot to be desired but he was always a good customer / guest to have around.

superfurryhibby
01-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Never spoke to him but I do recall seeing him and and Angie ( with the boots) walking along the gardens side of Princes Street. I was clearly in awe as he passed by and the great man gave me a wink. Respect.