PDA

View Full Version : Ryan McGivern

Fergus52
29-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere,

But was he injured? can't see why he'd be left out otherwise. Even if Fenlon was preparing for him leaving you'd think he'd still play him against the league leaders.

Anyway, if Stevenson and Hanlon can keep up that level of performance, he wont be too sorely missed when he goes.

fife hfc
29-12-2012, 05:37 PM
He was in alot earlier than the rest of the players today. I take it was to see if he was fit enough to play.

Hibs Class
29-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Fenlon said on the radio that he had a slight hamstring problem which kept him out but he'd hopefully be okay for thursday.

fife hfc
29-12-2012, 05:45 PM
He was in alot earlier than the rest of the players today. I take it was to see if he was fit enough to play.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Be very harsh to drop Stevenson after his performance today imo.

JIm
29-12-2012, 05:57 PM

Stevenson has been immense, thought that he was harshly dropped the other week as well, again Motherwell i think? He has slotted in at left back in recent weeks and been one of the best players on the park each game. Composure personified.

Jones28
29-12-2012, 05:58 PM
I see no reason to change the team after performance tbh

bingo70
29-12-2012, 06:39 PM

I've been critical of Stevenson in the past but I totally agree.

Jonnyboy will fall off his seat if he reads this post.

Stantons Angel
29-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Stevenson has been immense, thought that he was harshly dropped the other week as well, again Motherwell i think? He has slotted in at left back in recent weeks and been one of the best players on the park each game. Composure personified.

150% from Louie today and a first class performance he put in.

He needs to get more of this sort of praise from the supporters and i hope that he will now get a wee run in the team and go from strength to strength!

Well done Lewis once again!!!

thebakerboy
29-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Was in the FF today and now just watched game on Alba and I hadn't realised how often Stevenson had headed the ball clear in the 2nd. half. Well done wee man 11 out of 10 today and two fingers to the guy I was talking to before the game who totally slagged him Spoony and Fenlon off and said we needed to get rid of all three.

frazeHFC
29-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Was wondering where he was today, but can see he is a presenter tonight on 'Superstars' BBC 1. :tee hee:

Jonnyboy
29-12-2012, 09:07 PM

**THUMP**

:greengrin

Jonnyboy
29-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Was in the FF today and now just watched game on Alba and I hadn't realised how often Stevenson had headed the ball clear in the 2nd. half. Well done wee man 11 out of 10 today and two fingers to the guy I was talking to before the game who totally slagged him Spoony and Fenlon off and said we needed to get rid of all three.

Didn't have a tache and sewn up trooser pockets did he? :greengrin

Speedy
29-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Was wondering where he was today, but can see he is a presenter tonight on 'Superstars' BBC 1. :tee hee:

Someone mentioned that he was in BTG before the game but I didn't see him personally, surprising before you'd think his hair would stand out.

Shrekko
29-12-2012, 10:44 PM

I've been a critic too, if only because I feel the guy used to play within himself, but there's absolutely no way he can be dropped after today and it was bordering on cruel to drop him after the Killie game.

Lewis said himself in the programme today that in the past he was his own worst enemy for not grabbing chances that all Hibs managers have given him, but I can't remember the last time he had a poor game (I've blotted the cup final from my mind). He's playing like a mature man now as opposed to a wee laddie.

Brebners Bookie
29-12-2012, 11:51 PM
I've been a critic too, if only because I feel the guy used to play within himself, but there's absolutely no way he can be dropped after today and it was bordering on cruel to drop him after the Killie game.

Lewis said himself in the programme today that in the past he was his own worst enemy for not grabbing chances that all Hibs managers have given him, but I can't remember the last time he had a poor game (I've blotted the cup final from my mind). He's playing like a mature man now as opposed to a wee laddie.

Completely misread that bit.

Wheat Hound
30-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I think he is actually better at left back than midfield. Composed, tenacious and is able to read the game better further back. His improved reading of the game and physical strength is compensating for his lack of pace. Would maybe keep McGivern on the bench for Swinie.

Holmesdale Hibs
30-12-2012, 12:50 AM

I agree with this but also harsh to drop McGivern after his performance against Ross County.

A good problem to have though

Jamesie
30-12-2012, 02:32 AM
I have said since day one that Stevenson is an individual who appreciates the opportunity presented to him to be a professional footballer and the opportunity to play for Hibs that follows. Having met the guy once or twice I reckon he'll do all he can to make sure he holds down a berth in the Hibs team for as long as possible. The first time I met him he was going for a run round Arthur's Seat with John Collins a few hours afterwards on a Sunday morning and that was my measure of the guy IMHO. :thumbsup:

SmokieJoe
30-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Hopefully nothing to serious, but with Lewis playing as well as he is just now and with the prospect of McGivern maybe heading back to his parent club, it might just be a shrewed peice of management by PF.

EskbankHibby
30-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I would play McGivern. Great dilemma for Pat and no offence to Lewis but McGivern is the better player imo.

Better in the air and on the ground imo, he slung in two great balls against County.

Aerial dominance will be required against the one dimensional Gorgie hatchet men.

hfc rd
30-12-2012, 03:13 PM
A great dilemma to have. Two excellent players. What about McGivern CB with Stevenson LB? Or McGivern LB with Stevenson LM? Having said that though, I think Paddy will stick with the same team from yesterday as no one deserves to be dropped after that. McGivern will be on the bench.

Speedy
30-12-2012, 03:58 PM
A great dilemma to have. Two excellent players. What about McGivern CB with Stevenson LB? Or McGivern LB with Stevenson LM? Having said that though, I think Paddy will stick with the same team from yesterday as no one deserves to be dropped after that. McGivern will be on the bench.

He's steady at left back and he'd be a ready made replacement if McGivern goes but unfortunately for Lewis he is second choice at the moment.

I wouldn't have him anywhere in midfield either (barring injuries), I don't think he had the confidence/ability to get past his man.

tooley
31-12-2012, 12:52 AM
150% from Louie today and a first class performance he put in.

He needs to get more of this sort of praise from the supporters and i hope that he will now get a wee run in the team and go from strength to strength!

Well done Lewis once again!!!

Well said JC about time Lewis was given credit too many people ready to slag him off but if every hibs player had his commitment then we'd be a far stronger team IMO

Billy Whizz
31-12-2012, 08:39 AM
If mcgivern's fit, he'll play

Judas Iscariot
31-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Not a fan of LS by any means but he did have a decent game against Celtc and it would be harsh to drop him out the team completely..

I'd start with McGivern at LB for his height at presence but possibly slot LS into midfield for Taiwo as we all know LS loves a battle and Taiwo isn't that type of player..

IWasThere2016
31-12-2012, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't change the team.

ALF TUPPER
31-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I wouldnt change the team. They were all fantastic.

The guy sitting near me in the FF even applauded at the end - 2 minutes into the game - calling McPake a "f***ing donkey" and should leave . He plays crap every week. Disnae know what Fenlon sees in him etc/... "

Whatta plum. He ermmmmm kinda got the message when all of us started encouraging and cheering James Mc any time he was near the ball.

Hehe

Glory Glory

JimBHibees
31-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Any chance that McGivern's non appearance may have something to do with him possibly moving elsewhere.

Springbank
31-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I'd play McGivern. Seen too many derby goals conceded from headers at set pieces. Need the height to compete. Then once we match them we can go on and beat them

lucky
31-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Old adage never change a winning team. If LS is dropped what message does that send to the rest of the players? Regardless of how well you do you won't retain your place if PFs first 11 are fit. Having a squad is about competition for places not having loan players as automatic picks

lord bunberry
31-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Old adage never change a winning team. If LS is dropped what message does that send to the rest of the players? Regardless of how well you do you won't retain your place if PFs first 11 are fit. Having a squad is about competition for places not having loan players as automatic picks

Everything you say is correct but i still think he will play mcgivern if he is fit. Hearts are a very physical team and he might feel he needs the extra height in there. On a positive note i feel we would be able to cope with the loss of claros and mcgivern in january

Number69
31-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Fenlon has already stated that if fit he will have his place back and I for one am happy with that given the performance he put in at the last derby, my MOTM at that game.

ScottB
31-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Personally I think McGivern has been better in the centre, so maybe Stevenson McGivern McPake Clancy could be something to try at some stage, if we get the chance...

HibeeN
31-12-2012, 11:58 AM
No way will Hanlon get dropped, especially after Saturday.

brog
31-12-2012, 12:08 PM
I watched Yams vs Arabs & their main goal threat ( shock ) came from long throw ins from the right. IMO we need McGivern's aerial ability to help deal with that. If Lewis is finally starting to be the player he looked in the 2007 LC final then he can still have a good future with us, at LB or hopefully, if he imposes himself, in midfield. He's a model professional but IMO has lacked self-belief for too long.

HFC 0-7
31-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I watched Yams vs Arabs & their main goal threat ( shock ) came from long throw ins from the right. IMO we need McGivern's aerial ability to help deal with that. If Lewis is finally starting to be the player he looked in the 2007 LC final then he can still have a good future with us, at LB or hopefully, if he imposes himself, in midfield. He's a model professional but IMO has lacked self-belief for too long.

I dont think he has ever lacked self belief, he has always made himself available for passes in games and never tried to be invisible. Players that dont believe in themselves dont want the ball. Its the fans that have lacked belief in Stevenson IMO.

Heedersnvolleys
31-12-2012, 12:20 PM
McGivern should play purely because he was brilliant against them the last time!:thumbsup:

jws1875
31-12-2012, 12:32 PM
The question is, is there something in McGiverns loan deal that says he has to play if he's fit :confused:

danhibees1875
31-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Tough situation, McG is a great player and should be in our team whenever possible. :agree: However, there isn't anyone that deserves to be dropped after Saturday.

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern
Claros Tiawo
Doyle Cairney Stevenson
Griffiths

Even then it seems harsh on Deegan and Wotherspoon to be left out. :dunno:

brydekirk
31-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Imo wotherspoon is not up for a battle, thats why doyle got his place on saturday.

stoneyburn hibs
31-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Lewis put in a great shift on saturday but i think McGivern will get his place back on thursday if fit , other than that it will be the same starting 11.

Franck Stanton
31-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Disnae matter who we play against those in-breds - we are going to rip them a new one. BRING IT ON YA YAM FUDS

:flag::pfgwa:hibees:pfgwa:flag:

hibs0666
31-12-2012, 01:16 PM
The question is, is there something in McGiverns loan deal that says he has to play if he's fit :confused:

Mad question seeing as he started games off the bench when he first joined.

brog
31-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I dont think he has ever lacked self belief, he has always made himself available for passes in games and never tried to be invisible. Players that dont believe in themselves dont want the ball. Its the fans that have lacked belief in Stevenson IMO.

In his early days he took men on, drove to the bye-line regularly, I remember him setting up a goal at Killie for Fletch doing just that. Until recently he seemed content to just do simple things & not really take men on or try for an incisive pass. Doesn't mean he was poor, as I said I would love to see him finally fulfil his promise. Don't forget he was MOTM in a cup final team which featured Fletch, Broony, Whittaker, Murphy, Boozy & Benji, some achievement!

blackpoolhibs
31-12-2012, 02:54 PM
In his early days he took men on, drove to the bye-line regularly, I remember him setting up a goal at Killie for Fletch doing just that. Until recently he seemed content to just do simple things & not really take men on or try for an incisive pass. Doesn't mean he was poor, as I said I would love to see him finally fulfil his promise. Don't forget he was MOTM in a cup final team which featured Fletch, Broony, Whittaker, Murphy, Boozy & Benji, some achievement!

He was Ian McCalls man of the match, in my opinion there were 4 or 5 players much better than him that day, and god knows what that man was thinking of when giving it to Stevenson. :confused:

Thats not to say Lewis did not play well, he did, they all did. :thumbsup:

Its an award thats hounded Lewis in my opinion since that game, and put undeserved pressure on the lad since.

HFC 0-7
31-12-2012, 03:45 PM

I think him not taking men on will have something to do with his position, he can't afford to go steaming up the pitch all the time, if he loses the ball opposition will break away. I would imagine he will be told to make sure he doesn't get caught up field and protect cairney to let him advance. Don't forget that in cup final team, the way we played allowed just about anyone in that team steam forward.

inglisavhibs
31-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Everything you say is correct but i still think he will play mcgivern if he is fit. Hearts are a very physical team and he might feel he needs the extra height in there. On a positive note i feel we would be able to cope with the loss of claros and mcgivern in january

Spot on, HERTZ will try and bully Hibs, long throws, up and unders, corners, goalie punts etc etc. On the relatively wee Tynie playing surface it works against most teams and you have to stand up to them physically. McGivern will play if fit.

jdships
31-12-2012, 04:50 PM
He was Ian McCalls man of the match, in my opinion there were 4 or 5 players much better than him that day, and god knows what that man was thinking of when giving it to Stevenson. :confused:

Thats not to say Lewis did not play well, he did, they all did. :thumbsup:

Its an award thats hounded Lewis in my opinion since that game, and put undeserved pressure on the lad since.

You really believe that ? :rolleyes:
M of M a few years ago is never going to put pressure on a professional sportsman :confused:
Anyway Lewis got that award on merit

Then again its all down to opinions !!
Yours is worth no more than mine and vice versa !!

hibee_girl
31-12-2012, 04:52 PM
McGivern should play purely because he was brilliant against them the last time!:thumbsup:

As was Stevenson!

Aldo
31-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Put it this way

It will be them same starting 11 if McGivern is still injured however if he's fit then LS will be benched.

IMHO LS has never let the club down and deserves to start but glad I do t need to make that decision.

4 -5 -1

With Doyle and Cairney running full pelt at the Yams Back 4.

Shrekko
31-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Need to forget all the arguments about favourite players and historical stuff- all that matters is picking the strongest team.

Stevenson to me is now showing maturity and at last some self belief. To drop him for a second time after an excellent performance would be verging on diabolical. However- McGivern has to play if fit.

Personally I would have Lewis over Deegan in midfield and our best back 4 of Clancy McPake Hanlon and McGivern. Doubt that will happen but I trust Fenlon to do what he feels is necessary.

SMAXXA
31-12-2012, 05:01 PM
No way will Hanlon get dropped, especially after Saturday.

I totally agree, he was excellent on Saturday as were all the lads. I asked the question lasrt week about dropping Hanlon for the Celtic match and playing McGivern (Before I knew he was injured) but Hanlon played brilliant so he deserves to keep his place. As does Lewis IMO, feel hes been really hard done by and hasnt let us down and has been great since he came in.

Same team for me, they deserve it but have to say I suspect McGivern will come back in for Lewis

scoopyboy
31-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Tough situation, McG is a great player and should be in our team whenever possible. :agree: However, there isn't anyone that deserves to be dropped after Saturday.

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern
Claros Tiawo
Doyle Cairney Stevenson
Griffiths

Even then it seems harsh on Deegan and Wotherspoon to be left out. :dunno:

Not a snawba's chance in hell will Deegan be left out.

scoopyboy
31-12-2012, 05:14 PM
I totally agree, he was excellent on Saturday as were all the lads. I asked the question lasrt week about dropping Hanlon for the Celtic match and playing McGivern (Before I knew he was injured) but Hanlon played brilliant so he deserves to keep his place. As does Lewis IMO, feel hes been really hard done by and hasnt let us down and has been great since he came in.

Same team for me, they deserve it but have to say I suspect McGivern will come back in for Lewis

I think Lewis will lose out to McGivern if he's fit. Hearts will put out the biggest, strongest team available which is why I think this.

Tough on Lewis and I think he would have kept his place against virtually every other SPL team.

JimBHibees
01-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I think Lewis will lose out to McGivern if he's fit. Hearts will put out the biggest, strongest team available which is why I think this.

Tough on Lewis and I think he would have kept his place against virtually every other SPL team.

I agree Hearts are a big team and pose a threat at set pieces with Sutton, Webster, Zaliukas etc so it would make sense for McGivern to return for that reason.

Hermit Crab
01-01-2013, 10:25 AM
I agree Hearts are a big team and pose a threat at set pieces with Sutton, Webster, Zaliukas etc so it would make sense for McGivern to return for that reason.

That's If Sutton, Webster and zaliukas are still there ;-)

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2013, 12:19 PM
[/U][/B]

You really believe that ? :rolleyes:
M of M a few years ago is never going to put pressure on a professional sportsman :confused:
Anyway Lewis got that award on merit

Then again its all down to opinions !!
Yours is worth no more than mine and vice versa !!

I probably worded it wrong, what i meant to say its been a stick used to bash him since that day. I disagree about him getting that award on merit, Benji, Fletcher, Scott Brown and Boozy were immense that day and much more worthy of the award in my opinion, not forgetting the keeper for keeping us in the game with that world class save? :wink: