PDA

View Full Version : 10th minute applause for Phil O'Donnell

Sean1875
28-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Word spreading around that in all games this weekend, on the 10th minute fans will applaud to mark the 5th anniversary of the tragic passing of Phil O'Donnell. Feel it would be great if we could join in with this to show our respect :agree:

matty_f
28-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Tin hat on, but not for me. What about all the other dead players?

Geo_1875
28-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Why "celebrate" the 5th anniversary of his passing? He never played for most of the teams in the SPL. Leave it to the teams he did play for to mark the event in a manner of their choosing.

whiskyhibby
28-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Sorry not for me............ What is it meant to symbolise ?

ruthven_raiders
28-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Sorry not for me............ What is it meant to symbolise ?

Tragic tho it was and maybe Motherwell and Celtic supporters can applaud. Off topic should we applaud every game on the 7th min now that jambos have taken over the 51st min?

Sylar
28-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Wow - 5 years already?

I can certainly understand certain teams wishing to observe a moment to remember a former player on the anniversary of his passing - Motherwell, Celtc and even Dundee United (involved that day) will undoubtedly be thinking about him.

If Celtc chose to observe it tomorrow, I'd like to think we're civil enough as a support to join in and also pay a moment of respect to a player who died in the pursuit of a game we all love and use it to take a moment and think of all players who have died as a result of undiagnosed medical issues whilst playing.

It's not like it's being enforced from above here, is it?

Scouse Hibee
28-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Word spreading around that in all games this weekend, on the 10th minute fans will applaud to mark the 5th anniversary of the tragic passing of Phil O'Donnell. Feel it would be great if we could join in with this to show our respect :agree:

Where is the word spreading about this? Seems a strange one to me, I can fully understand why his former club(s) may want to do this but not the entire SPL fixture card.

lucky
28-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Tragic event for his family bit nothing to do with Hibs so not for me. It's all over Twitter for those asking

Broken Gnome
29-12-2012, 05:32 AM
I really really don't like this new trend where supporters are almost guilt-tripped for remembering players that have no connection to them. Happened with Speed and Muamba; it's like a Twitter phenomenon where groups of fans go out of their way to look impressive to others over things that don't really don't concern.

Alfred E Newman
29-12-2012, 07:06 AM
If true its ridiculous.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2012, 07:20 AM
If Celtic fans want to do something for an ex player then that's their decision and I'd respect that.

It's not for me though.

Hainan Hibs
29-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Would rather we didn't join in as it reeks of another "look at how great we are" move by Septic fans.

Just Alf
29-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Would rather we didn't join in as it reeks of another "look at how great we are" move by Septic fans.

Yup, I'd agree with this....... It just feels like there's too much of this sort of guff going on these days :-(

And that's not to take anything away from those ACTUALLY involved in any sad event.

Just Alf
29-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Duplicate..... Hangover and slow PC :-(

Hiber-nation
29-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Too contrived. It shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that celtc are involved, remember that spontaneous standing ovation we gave Alan Stubbs when he came on at HT to make his comeback. Nobody planned it, and that's how it should be instead of all this xth minute round of applause stuff although I understand the circumstances are obviously different today.

.Sean.
29-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Not for me, he had nothing to do with Hibs nor did I know him. The Celtic lot will lap it up though and show us they truly are TGFITW I'm sure.

Hibernia Na Eir
29-12-2012, 08:38 AM
will Celtic fans not be too inebriated to remember this today? I think so. I wonder if they've sobered up after their Dens debacle! Doubt it.

Bristolhibby
29-12-2012, 08:40 AM
What happens if we/they score during the "applause"?

Not for me, it's a football game not a remembrance service.

J

Russell The Dug
29-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Not for me, he had nothing to do with Hibs nor did I know him. The Celtic lot will lap it up though and show us they truly are TGFITW I'm sure.

Yep. Victim card played out if we don't contribute, which I will as its only a wee clap remembering a boy who died on an SPL pitch a few years back but can understand why others would mark it as ott.

Treadstone
29-12-2012, 08:59 AM
I would join in if I could be sure no IRA guff was heard at the game.

flash
29-12-2012, 09:06 AM
The guy collapsed and died while playing in our league. It could just as easily have been for or against us.
Needless to say its a matter of personal choice whether one participates but some of the above posts are graceless to put it mildly.
Incidentally it was motherwell fans who came up with the idea but they are just Huns without the bus fares anyway.

lapsedhibee
29-12-2012, 09:16 AM
I really really don't like this new trend where supporters are almost guilt-tripped for remembering players that have no connection to them. Happened with Speed and Muamba; it's like a Twitter phenomenon where groups of fans go out of their way to look impressive to others over things that don't really concern.

That one in particular seemed to go on for weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks, by the time it got round to all the teams he'd ever played for/coached/supported/watched/heard of.

Hibernian Verse
29-12-2012, 09:22 AM
That one in particular seemed to go on for weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks, by the time it got round to all the teams he'd ever played for/coached/supported/watched/heard of.

Awful eh, imagine mourning a player that was probably one of your Heros after he's committed suicide and left a family behind.

That's why it went on for weeks and you know it, so calm your jets.

Broken Gnome
29-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Awful eh, imagine mourning a player that was probably one of your Heros after he's committed suicide and left a family behind.

He's got a point. You had Stoke/insert other team here fans belting it out and mugging to the pitchside cameras. Not saying they didn't respect him, but hero is a massive stretch and it became as much an exercise of 'look everyone we're doing it too!!!' than a spontaneous gesture.

It's like players who score against their old club and don't celebrate. Then make a massive show of pushing everyone away to really make sure everyone knows they REALLY don't want to celebrate. Giving respect can quite easily become self-congratulatory and about seeking credit.

cocopops1875
29-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Yep. Victim card played out if we don't contribute, which I will as its only a wee clap remembering a boy who died on an SPL pitch a few years back but can understand why others would mark it as ott.

The guy collapsed and died while playing in our league. It could just as easily have been for or against us.
Needless to say its a matter of personal choice whether one participates but some of the above posts are graceless to put it mildly.
Incidentally it was motherwell fans who came up with the idea but they are just Huns without the bus fares anyway.

Agree that there is alot of this these days (I always felt the Muamba stuff was weird as he wasnt dead) But in todays case i will applaud it was a shocking day for football in scotland, And luckily one we dont see often but certainly one that could happen to any player or any team at any time, Maybe worth thinking about when we are giving our players dogs abuse :agree:

oldbutdim
29-12-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm just going to see the Hibs.

joe breezy
29-12-2012, 09:54 AM

None of my Motherwell mates are huns, they're all 100% Motherwell.

Just an observation.

cocopops1875
29-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Just an observation.

pretty sure the huns without bus fares comment was in jest:wink:

Sylar
29-12-2012, 10:16 AM
"Graceless" would be putting it mildly.

If it had been one of our players (God forbid) and we chose to have a minute's silence, would folk be alright with the Tims singing over the top of it because "[insert theoretical player here] didn't play for them"? Of course not.

It's not being enforced by the SFA and it's quite refreshing that the fans are trying to arrange something "unofficial" as a tribute to a guy who died playing in the SPL. Respecting that shouldn't be difficult and it's quite abhorrent to see so many folk opening their metaphorical mouths and letting their bellies grumble on a messageboard.

Hibbyradge
29-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't believe this will happen.

flash
29-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Just an observation.

:wink:

Scouse Hibee
29-12-2012, 10:38 AM
"Graceless" would be putting it mildly.

If it had been one of our players (God forbid) and we chose to have a minute's silence, would folk be alright with the Tims singing over the top of it because "[insert theoretical player here] didn't play for them"? Of course not.

It's not being enforced by the SFA and it's quite refreshing that the fans are trying to arrange something "unofficial" as a tribute to a guy who died playing in the SPL. Respecting that shouldn't be difficult and it's quite abhorrent to see so many folk opening their metaphorical mouths and letting their bellies grumble on a messageboard.

Get a grip eh! Folk are giving their opinions nothing more, more abhorent to me is folk like you who like to blah blah about folk talking on messagesboards which is exactly what they are for and of course you will see differing opinions expressed on this subject. No-one on here has said they would acttualy disrespect the applause if it happens.

Phil D. Rolls
29-12-2012, 10:50 AM
There is hardly a week goes by where there is some anniversary that might be deserving of a tribute. If we were to observe every one, the significance would be lost.

Look at it this way, one of the worst disasters in world football happened at Ibrox, on 2nd January 1971. We haven't observed the memory of that too often since. It's all about perspective.

Phil D. Rolls
29-12-2012, 10:55 AM

What's awful is people making out they are mourning, when all they are doing is putting on a show for the cameras. Imagine mourning someone you never knew or met, weeks after he had died. People need to get a grip on reality.

Scotland has one of the highest suicide rates for young men in the world. Many of them leave families behind. Maybe it's time for those so deeply affected by such issues to start thinking about what they can do to tackle the issues. That would be a much more positive contribution than a stupid round of applause in the middle of a football match.

lyonhibs
29-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't believe this will happen.

It 100% will at ER assuming the Smellies are aware of it - which they will be, with some justification as O'Donnell actually played for them.

legends of 73
29-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Not for me I'm afraid never played for us and had no connection to us. So if the septic fans want to applaud then crack on I'll be watching the game

.Sean.
29-12-2012, 11:22 AM
It 100% will at ER assuming the Smellies are aware of it - which they will be, with some justification as O'Donnell actually played for them.

You can bet your last penny the Tims will be up chanting his name in the 10th minute, they'll be loving it.

lord bunberry
29-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Not for me I'm afraid never played for us and had no connection to us. So if the septic fans want to applaud then crack on I'll be watching the game

If it happens then i will join in as a mark of respect its not like its going to spoil the day for us. If we weren't playing celtic then i don't think it would happen but seeing we are there is no point being disrespectful just for the sake of it

clerriehibs
29-12-2012, 11:31 AM
No thanks.

cocopops1875
29-12-2012, 11:33 AM
What's awful is people making out they are mourning, when all they are doing is putting on a show for the cameras. Imagine mourning someone you never knew or met, weeks after he had died. People need to get a grip on reality.

Scotland has one of the highest suicide rates for young men in the world. Many of them leave families behind. Maybe it's time for those so deeply affected by such issues to start thinking about what they can do to tackle the issues. That would be a much more positive contribution than a stupid round of applause in the middle of a football match.

How do you know they havent ?
And is it so wrong to show respect for a SPL player who died on the pitch 5 years ago ? As his death may have saved others i would suggest something positive has come out of it see below
"Now, in a bid to prevent such tragedies, a pilot screening programme to test young amateur athletes for conditions that can lead to SCD, was launched yesterday. Under the scheme, up to 4000 people a yare will undergo cardiovascular screening.
The £200,000 two-year programme will make Scotland only the third country in the world, after Italy and the US, to employ such a scheme"

So em get a grip :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I think that it is correct that Motherwell mark this anniversary, but keep it at that. What I don't like about these things are the insinuations if you don't take part. The thing about Celtc fans though is that they have a 100% record when it comes to marking recognised minutes silence. Hopefully on 26-12-2013 they will have one for the stewards and cleaners at Dens Park.

Albanian Hibs
29-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Not for me

Geo_1875
29-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Is it a round applause, a full minute or do we just keep clapping until the Celtc fans burst into their next chorus of pro-terrorist, sectarian bile?

Keith_M
29-12-2012, 12:39 PM
If anyone that knew the guy want to observe his passing, then so be it. I'd even go so far as to say that if some supporters of one of his former clubs wanted to join in as a mark of respect, then I'd have no complaint with that either.

If it's hijacked as a way of getting one over on other supporters by showing how 'respectful' some are compared to others, that's surely extremely disrespectful to the guy's memory and to his family.

Phil D. Rolls
29-12-2012, 02:16 PM
How do you know they havent ?
And is it so wrong to show respect for a SPL player who died on the pitch 5 years ago ? As his death may have saved others i would suggest something positive has come out of it see below
"Now, in a bid to prevent such tragedies, a pilot screening programme to test young amateur athletes for conditions that can lead to SCD, was launched yesterday. Under the scheme, up to 4000 people a yare will undergo cardiovascular screening.
The £200,000 two-year programme will make Scotland only the third country in the world, after Italy and the US, to employ such a scheme"

So em get a grip :wink:

I tend to get better as the day goes on. :greengrin

Frazerbob
29-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Did this happen?

Technofob
29-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Did this happen?

Well, we did score in the 9/10th minute but I can't imagine any of the soap dodgers joined in with our applause!! :greengrin

lyonhibs
29-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I was rather too occupied going tonto at the fact we'd just scored, and calling the South Stand some rather unmentionable names to notice tbh.

GIRFUY Lennon and Samaras.