PDA

View Full Version : Ross County's goal

Hibbyradge
27-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Is it just me or was that the flukiest goal in the history of flukey goals?

It just seemed to hit the boy and canon off towards the one place Williams couldn't reach.

Or was it was a wonderful piece of skill?

Hibspirational
27-12-2012, 09:26 AM

It just seemed to hit the boy and canon off towards the one place Williams couldn't reach.

At the time I thought it was a fluke, interested to see a replay of it.

Pretty Boy
27-12-2012, 09:28 AM
I said at the time that there was no way he meant it.

Would be interested to see it again.

down-the-slope
27-12-2012, 09:32 AM
looked at the time like a cross that just hit the forward on the head and ricochet off ... at first it looked as if going wide but seemed to spin in as flew..

On another note...no Maybury (who has been getting all the blame :rolleyes:) on the pitch and yet goal came from same place as so many...down the inside left area

Famous Fiver
27-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Fluke.

Heisenberg
27-12-2012, 09:50 AM
It was the only thing County managed to create in an attacking sense all game, they sat back, doubled up on our wide players and played out the easiest defensive performance they will have to all season.

Broken Gnome
27-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Was a shot in the first place, didn't seem like the guy even looked up. Makes sense given it was the first sight of goal they'd had all day.

Johnny Clash
27-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Looked like a good header to me but I felt a header from that distance should have been saveable. I don't think Williams was expecting it.

DarrenSQH
27-12-2012, 09:52 AM
It was a terrible shot which the boy chucked his head at and got lucky.

Onceinawhile
27-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Thought it was a honking shot, but a great header. Williams had no chance imo.

Judas Iscariot
27-12-2012, 10:07 AM
looked at the time like a cross that just hit the forward on the head and ricochet off ... at first it looked as if going wide but seemed to spin in as flew..

On another note...no Maybury (who has been getting all the blame :rolleyes:) on the pitch and yet goal came from same place as so many...down the inside left area

But DW was still on the pitch :cool2:

Broken Gnome
27-12-2012, 10:43 AM
And lets not blame Williams either, he has no right to save a top corner header when the initial shot is threatening the corner flag.

LeighLoyal
27-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Flukey goal, and unmerited but thems the breaks.

TornadoHibby
27-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Looked like a good header to me but I felt a header from that distance should have been saveable. I don't think Williams was expecting it.

Ha, ha.......! :greengrin

It was postage stamp corner IIRC and few keepers would have got anywhere near that! Williams had no chance IMO! :rolleyes:

Fluke though! :agree:

J-C
27-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Looked like a speculative cross and a galncing header, the fact he got the space inbetween our defenders is more of a concern,

_hucks_
27-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Granted I only saw from the famous 5, but it looked like a helluva good goal to me - a clever header that used all the pace on the ball to beat the keeper right in the corner.

.Sean.
27-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I was in line with it in th East - only seen it once but IMO no fluke and credit to the boy on such a good finish. He still shouldn't have found the space in the box though.

danhibees1875
27-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Looked like he meant it to me, great header. :agree:

erin go bragh
27-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Looked a great header from my view in the east , compare that to the header Doyle missed at the other end :cblooked easier to score , imo .

ggtth

joe breezy
27-12-2012, 11:16 AM
I had a great view of it, there was no way he meant it - it was just a case of sticking head out and luckily for him it went to the perfect place.

hibsbollah
27-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Does this post mean that if a goal is conceded on our right flank when Maybury isn't playing this suddenly means Maybury is a better option than Clancy?

Interesting logic:hmmm:

hibs4thecup1988
27-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Looked a great header from my view in the east , compare that to the header Doyle missed at the other end :cblooked easier to score , imo .

ggtth

Doyle wasn't expecting the ball to come to him. I sit right behind goals in FF and he indicated with his hands he didn't expect it to come

hibs4thecup1988
27-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Does this post mean that if a goal is conceded on our right flank when Maybury isn't playing this suddenly means Maybury is a better option than Clancy?

No it means all the abuse that Maybury gets maybe isn't all that warranted after all

hibsbollah
27-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Doyle wasn't expecting the ball to come to him. I sit right behind goals in FF and he indicated with his hands he didn't expect it to come

I thought Leigh's chance when he headed it straight at the keeper was better than Doyle's. We were very poor yesterday without a doubt, but we did create a few chances. Doyle's miss, Doyle's offside, Claros' shot, Leigh's header, McGivern just missing Leigh's in swinging back post corner early on.

hibsbollah
27-12-2012, 12:02 PM
No it means all the abuse that Maybury gets maybe isn't all that warranted after all

It means nothing of the sort. Maybury wasn't part of yesterday's narrative, for most of the game our defence was comfortable against a County team that had Glen up front on his own and Clancy did fine.

It could have been worse with Maybury for all we know.

silverhibee
27-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Said at the time it was a fluke goal, it could have hit a Hibs players head and been an OG, no way was it meant. :agree:

silverhibee
27-12-2012, 01:04 PM
And lets not blame Williams either, he has no right to save a top corner header when the initial shot is threatening the corner flag.

No goalie was saving that flukey header. :agree: :greengrin

down-the-slope
27-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Not as much difference as most seem to think...but not the issue... what it shows is how poorly our wide (i use the term loosely :rolleyes:) midfielders cover the FB's defensively... who ever is playing FB

McGivern got a roasting agaist Well when he was left exposed

jane_says
27-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Total fluke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV4-egKH86c&list=PL0DF74379D4B448F0&index=4

Hibercelona
27-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Perhaps if there was a defender anywhere near him, then the "fluke" wouldn't have happened? :rolleyes:

But lets just blame bad luck. It's not like we were totally awful or anything...

Jonnyboy
27-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Total fluke.

Disagree. Brittain makes a deiberate head movement towards the ball in an attempt to steer it goalwards. If a Hibby had scored that we'd be raving about it :agree:

hibsbollah
27-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Disagree. Brittain makes a deiberate head movement towards the ball in an attempt to steer it goalwards. If a Hibby had scored that we'd be raving about it :agree:

Looked like a fluke to me.

hibbysam
27-12-2012, 08:17 PM
To people saying about no centre half being near him.. have you ever played football?

The boy was standing 20 yards from goal.. why would our centre halfs leave the middle of our box unguarded to mark someone who might get the ball? what if hanlon went to the boy and a midfielder made a run into our box and got on the end of a cross into the penalty spot? he'd have been crucified..

Jonnyboy
27-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Looked like a fluke to me.

Not just you it seems :wink:

Cropley10
27-12-2012, 08:53 PM

Yes he moves his head towards the ball. You'd rather hope that a professional footballer, facing the direction of the goal would try and get something on It. But it hits his head and could have gone anywhere. It won't win goal of the week/month.

Jonnyboy
27-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes he moves his head towards the ball. You'd rather hope that a professional footballer, facing the direction of the goal would try and get something on It. But it hits his head and could have gone anywhere. It won't win goal of the week/month.

As I said in my original post he tried to steer the ball towards goal rather than it just hit him on the head!

Sammy7nil
27-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Total fluke.

It was a cross and the guy did try to head it goalwards so no fluke. I would agree he could try it another 100 times and not find the top corner but the guy did mean it so no fluke for me.

Sir David Gray
27-12-2012, 10:38 PM
There was a lot of luck involved but it happens.

Fair play to him.

HibeeSince85
27-12-2012, 10:40 PM
No fluke! Good header from the guy.

AlbertK86
28-12-2012, 07:29 AM
To people saying about no centre half being near him.. have you ever played football?

The boy was standing 20 yards from goal.. why would our centre halfs leave the middle of our box unguarded to mark someone who might get the ball? what if hanlon went to the boy and a midfielder made a run into our box and got on the end of a cross into the penalty spot? he'd have been crucified..

I hear what your saying but IF a midfielder is running into the box it is our midfield who should be tracking him.

Hanlon was standing watching (yet again) and not anywhere near marking or picking up any runners

Mr White
28-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Thought it a fluke at the time from the famous 5 though having seen the replay I think Brittain shows good reactions and technique to get the header in after what was a bit of a hit and hope cross/shot from vigurs.

hibbysam
28-12-2012, 08:53 AM
I hear what your saying but IF a midfielder is running into the box it is our midfield who should be tracking him.

Hanlon was standing watching (yet again) and not anywhere near marking or picking up any runners

So Brittain, a centre midfielder, runs into our box and scores a header and you blame Hanlon still?

There was no time for any our centre halfs to get there because of the short distance the ball travelled.. Theres less chance of someone scoring from outside the box with a header than there is scoring from 6 yards out because our fans want our defence to defend outside our 18 yard box when a ball is getting crossed in.

Just_Jimmy
28-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Wotherspoon got dragged inside. Tawio came out too late to try and get at the guy putting the ball in.

If DW had just tracked (and maybe once tried to tackle) his man the cross would never have went in.

Its fundamentals thats we dont do properly.

ekhibee
28-12-2012, 11:26 AM
From the west stand it looked like a fluke to me originally, but watched the replay during highlights and I'm not so sure. On a side note I saw Britten on Sportscene a few weeks ago and he seemed like a right drongo but that's got nothing to do with the goal. He scored a beauty against ICT in the cup tie so he is capable.

wookie70
28-12-2012, 12:12 PM
At the game I thought it was a great header and I haven't changed my mind watching the highlights.

From Hibs point of view their left back received the ball in 10 yards of space, passed to a Midfielder in 10 yards of space who got lucky with his cross and found a striker in eh 10 yards of space who tried his luck and judged it to perfection for a great finish.

In my time playing football Centre Halves and other players defending look to cover the most dangerous scenario. A striker on the edge of the box is more dangerous than a non existent run into the box from a midfielder. Particularly in that game as there was no real penetration from both teams into the box.

Overall it was a goal that came from slack marking with no real energy employed to put Ross Co under pressure, combined with a 1 in a 100 finish. Lots of goals have came down this side this year and I think we let teams pass it far too easily out wide. County never gave us an inch out wide.

DaveF
28-12-2012, 01:28 PM
It was a cross and the guy did try to head it goalwards so no fluke. I would agree he could try it another 100 times and not find the top corner but the guy did mean it so no fluke for me.

Agree with that. I thought it hit him square in the puss at the time, but you're right - He could try that again and again and never even come close to the top corner. Just sums up our run of luck at the moment.