PDA

View Full Version : Pace

Ozyhibby
27-12-2012, 09:57 AM
There was a moment in the second half when Ross County had a corner and the ball broke to Handling on the edge of our box. They had only two defenders back as Handling made his way forward with the ball supported by three other Hibs players breaking out.
By the time we had crossed the half way line Ross County had ten men behind the ball and the opportunity to mount an attack was gone.
I don't mean to single out Handling, he is just the player involved at that time. It could have been anyone of our players.
Yesterday's performance was as bad as anything under Caldwell.
The next month will be crucial to stop the slide. We need to sort out our defence which is still a soft touch (only 4 shutouts in 22 games this season) and we need a creative midfielder.
And we definitely need to add a bit of speed of thought and action throughout the team.

GreenArmy1875
27-12-2012, 11:42 AM
We have to get a pacey winger that can get at defenders. Like sproule in his early days worries defenders, there is alot of players out their that are quick and direct just see if we can get one

Hainan Hibs
27-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Going back to the game against Motherwell when the game went to 2-2 and then 2-3 the Hibs team looked as if it couldn't break out of a jog, almost like a car stuck in 2nd gear. Desperately need a winger with pace who is willing to take on a man.

The Harp Awakes
27-12-2012, 11:54 AM
The same thing occurred to me at the game yesterday - we lack pace all over the park. That wasn't the only factor though, we were outfought from start to finish. I feel Griffiths looks a shadow of the player he was a couple of months ago and probably needs a spell on the bench.

hibsbollah
27-12-2012, 01:33 PM
The same thing occurred to me at the game yesterday - we lack pace all over the park. That wasn't the only factor though, we were outfought from start to finish. I feel Griffiths looks a shadow of the player he was a couple of months ago and probably needs a spell on the bench.

I can't see Leigh taking kindly to a 'spell on the bench'.

We definitely need to bring some pace in...There's an Irish winger who's playing for Hungerford Town in the Southern League, apparently he's like Ivan Sproule on a motorbike:agree:

Geo_1875
27-12-2012, 03:47 PM
And if we do bring a pacey winger in hopefully he'll also be able to deliver a decent dead ball with his left foot. That way we'll be able get our best striker in the box where he should be instead of taking corners and freekicks from 45 yards out.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-12-2012, 03:53 PM
No just a pacy winger we need though. At one point yesterday in the first half, Doyle picked up the ball wide left, about ten yards in our half and there was not one Hibs player in front of him to pass it to.

down-the-slope
27-12-2012, 04:12 PM
by all accounts Erskine at the Jags is the one e have kept tabs on the most / longest...not sure if its a Jan or a summer move we are looking at

MB62
27-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Far from needing a spell on the bench, we need about another six or seven players with his skill to help him out.
The luck we were carrying earlier in the season has deserted us and we don't have have the players with the ability to dig us out of this bad period.
Hard work and total commitment is what we can offer, or a few more signings in January to bring in guys that know to do with a ball at their feet other than lump it up the park.

Moon unit
27-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Yes, Callum Booth! Bring him back! Everyone's scapegoat from last season. He had more idea than ANYONE in the team about being cultured with a football at his feet and taking the thing forward and being creative! At the moment we are dull as dish water, no spark- No creativity!.

Alfred E Newman
27-12-2012, 04:41 PM
We also need recognised full backs or wing backs. I don't know what it is with Hibs but a succession of managers since Mowbray have played natural central defenders at full back. For the first 75 minutes yesterday the full backs hardly crossed the half way line. Add two sitting midfielders with no pace and its not hard to see why we are so poor to watch.

neil7908
27-12-2012, 05:39 PM
We also need recognised full backs or wing backs. I don't know what it is with Hibs but a succession of managers since Mowbray have played natural central defenders at full back. For the first 75 minutes yesterday the full backs hardly crossed the half way line. Add two sitting midfielders with no pace and its not hard to see why we are so poor to watch.

You could write a lot more about the areas that we need strengthened but in a nutshell this is exactly where we are struggling. If you look at the goals we have been losing the vast, vast majority are from headers/crosses. The team play very narrow and we are currently relying on a bit of magic from Griffiths, Cairney or Wotherspoon to win us games as Claros, Deegan, Taiwo contribute nothing going forward (not a criticism of them, just the kind of players they are).

I would love to see us bring in a left winger and then move Cairney into the middle of the park alongside Claros (or if he goes Deegan/Taiwo). We also need someone else up front and for me, a genuine left back as I dont think its McGivern or Stevensons best position.

Hibeesforever
27-12-2012, 08:43 PM
And if we do bring a pacey winger in hopefully he'll also be able to deliver a decent dead ball with his left foot. That way we'll be able get our best striker in the box where he should be instead of taking corners and freekicks from 45 yards out.

Yes agree, last kick of the game Hibs should have scored from an "easy" free kick on the edge of the box. What does Griffiths do ? a lame effort that hits the wall. Why bother having a training ground, if, when it really matters, you can't convert.

Jonnyboy
27-12-2012, 08:54 PM
There was a moment in the second half when Ross County had a corner and the ball broke to Handling on the edge of our box. They had only two defenders back as Handling made his way forward with the ball supported by three other Hibs players breaking out.
By the time we had crossed the half way line Ross County had ten men behind the ball and the opportunity to mount an attack was gone.
I don't mean to single out Handling, he is just the player involved at that time. It could have been anyone of our players.
Yesterday's performance was as bad as anything under Caldwell.
The next month will be crucial to stop the slide. We need to sort out our defence which is still a soft touch (only 4 shutouts in 22 games this season) and we need a creative midfielder.
And we definitely need to add a bit of speed of thought and action throughout the team.

Who? :wink:

Joking aside I agree 100% re the side needing pace introduced :agree:

Hibstrooper
27-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes, Callum Booth! Bring him back! Everyone's scapegoat from last season. He had more idea than ANYONE in the team about being cultured with a football at his feet and taking the thing forward and being creative! At the moment we are dull as dish water, no spark- No creativity!.

Not a bad shout actually. Play Booth at left midfield and move Cairney into the middle. One of our biggest problems is we offer no attacking threat from the centre of the park, I think moving Cairney there would make us less predictable.

Iain G
27-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Just watching Motherwell rip Aberdeen apart, thats what we need, pace and creativity and someone to run at and take on defenders....

spike220
27-12-2012, 11:28 PM

:agree: Can we recall Booth in January?? Would be like a new signing