PDA

View Full Version : Doyle

HibeeMG
26-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Yes, I know the lad has come from Ireland and scored a few goals at the start of his Hibs career. But if he's going to get a starting position every week then he needs to start showing more.

I first noticed at the Hearts cup game that he has stopped jumping to compete for headers with opposition defenders. Most of the time he'll back in to the defender either trying to unbalance him or try to draw a foul by convincing the referee that the defender has jumped over him.

Of course, I couldn't criticise a player after the cup game victory. He hasn't won a header since though.

Then there's his positional sense when it comes to build up play. he continually moves into a position that has an opposition player between him and the ball. There's no way a team mate is going to be able to play the ball to him if he's taking up that sort of position.

Don't even get me started on the ridiculous incident today where he was played in on the right hand side and started shouting and gesticulating at the other Hibs players and completely forgot to take a touch on the ball and ended up losing it.

Like I say, I understand where the lad has come from and that his goals have come in handy, but if we are going to use him in the team in the positions and roles that we have, he has to show more.

Sammy7nil
27-12-2012, 12:02 AM
I think he maybe needs to do a bit more too but that is also true of another 9 players today.
I don't think Doyle deserves his own thread. I noticed he won 2 or 3 headers in the 1st half although his chance in the 2nd half when he headed over was very poor.

Doyle plays for Hibs, because we are where we are in SPL football, he lacks quality but should not be singled out in a very average Hibs team and poor squad.

frazeHFC
27-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Do find this a bit strange seeing as though he has our last 3 goals. Think he done alright and was after the ball the whole game. Really like the look of Doyle but we are just not creating enough. I think our strikers and midfield is good, but it should be creating more chances and scoring more goals.

Lang Toun Hibs
27-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Don't even get me started on the ridiculous incident today where he was played in on the right hand side and started shouting and gesticulating at the other Hibs players and completely forgot to take a touch on the ball and ended up losing it.

He was getting slated around me for this incident but I have to say in his defence, there simply wasn't anyone in the box so the early ball he wanted to play wasn't on as the rest of the team hadnt reacted quickly enough which kind of sums is up today. Doesn't excuse him losing the ball but what looked like a promising position was rendered useless by no one looking to get into the box.

LaMotta
27-12-2012, 01:37 AM
He was getting slated around me for this incident but I have to say in his defence, there simply wasn't anyone in the box so the early ball he wanted to play wasn't on as the rest of the team hadnt reacted quickly enough which kind of sums is up today. Doesn't excuse him losing the ball but what looked like a promising position was rendered useless by no one looking to get into the box.

Correct! he was right to go radge cos once again our midfielders were casually mincing about with no intent to get up the pitch in a goalscoring position.

sparky hasnt won a header in weeks either and is constantly backing into the defender!

CallumHibs07
27-12-2012, 02:32 AM
We shouldn't be punting balls up to him in the first place, he's not a target man. Give it to him on the ground in and around the box and he'll score goals. Doesn't help when Hanlon and McPake especially launch it forward to Doyle and Griffiths expecting them to win headers against big centre backs.

Cropley10
27-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Yes, I know the lad has come from Ireland and scored a few goals at the start of his Hibs career. But if he's going to get a starting position every week then he needs to start showing more.

I first noticed at the Hearts cup game that he has stopped jumping to compete for headers with opposition defenders. Most of the time he'll back in to the defender either trying to unbalance him or try to draw a foul by convincing the referee that the defender has jumped over him.

Of course, I couldn't criticise a player after the cup game victory. He hasn't won a header since though.

Then there's his positional sense when it comes to build up play. he continually moves into a position that has an opposition player between him and the ball. There's no way a team mate is going to be able to play the ball to him if he's taking up that sort of position.

Like I say, I understand where the lad has come from and that his goals have come in handy, but if we are going to use him in the team in the positions and roles that we have, he has to show more.

For all his 8 goals this season, he looked like the player we signed a year ago yesterday. In fact looking at his contribution and the role he's supposed to play it was liking playing with 10 men.

His touch was poor and he never, ever wins a 50:50 or a header. At one point he was between the ball and his defender, but still could get a shot away and lost possession.

I know negativity is not welcome on here but part of the reason nothin goes through the middle is it just come straight back when he plays up top. Part of the problem not the solution I fear.

ancient hibee
27-12-2012, 10:09 AM
The reason the ball comes straight back from the centre is because there's nobody in the midfield who can play a ball along the ground for a striker to run onto(wotherspoon had two attempts in the first half that weren't good enough to be called pathetic)as a result they are always having to take the ball with their back to goal.

Pretty Boy
27-12-2012, 10:12 AM

This.

He had to check back about 3 times and still no one was in the box.

Griffiths was the biggest culprit, he played the initial pass then stood admiring it rather than doing what a striker is supposed to do and getting forward.

SMAXXA
27-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Finally some sense. Spot on

Treadstone
27-12-2012, 10:57 AM
When he doesn't score it is noticeable how badly he has performed. I think we are far too predictable at the moment and would like to see a change of formation, to a 4-5-1.

Stevenson played on the left allowing McGivern to go forward at every opportunity and Lewis covering when he does so.

Cairney playing behind the striker, breaking when we have the ball and tucking back in when we don't.

4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 on Saturday is asking for trouble. The midfield is too exposed at times.

I think Cairney needs to be in a position where he can affect the game a little more.

Not trying to slate Doyle, but he is a poor out ball for us, rarely wins a header when it is played up.

neil7908
27-12-2012, 06:11 PM
I like the look of Doyle, I do think he is maybe a wee bit limited but has probably had as many poor performances this season overall as Griffiths but at least you can guarantee Doyle will always work his socks off.

I see him a penalty box striker first and foremost. He's not great 30-35 yards out but if he was, chances are he wouldn't be at ER. Leigh got a lot of praise earlier this season for the goals he was banging in but now that he has had a quiet spell its interesting to reflect what he brings to the team when he doesn't score.

Against Aberdeen at home a few weeks ago he had about 3-4 shots, a couple of which were on target and forced decent saves from the goalie. But on a couple of ocassions he had folk in much better positions than him and should have been looking for a pass. But he'll always get cheered for 'having a go' as he's a fans favourite whereas Doyle can make a couple of mistakes and have folk giving him pelters.

greenlex
27-12-2012, 06:28 PM
I like Doyle but he needs to get a bit stronger. The amount of times he gets brushed aside is poor.

Franck Stanton
27-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Do find this a bit strange seeing as though he has our last 3 goals. Think he done alright and was after the ball the whole game. Really like the look of Doyle but we are just not creating enough. I think our strikers and midfield is good, but it should be creating more chances and scoring more goals.

Re bit in bold -- Really ? IMO this is the area we are sadly lacking, we don't have a "Midfield General" to control the game. Deegan is a good "Enforcer" but his eye for a killer through-ball is sadly lacking. We could also do with a tricky,fast wide player or, if we moved Cairney inside two tricky wide players. At present our midfield do not create enough chances for our strikers to feed off and frequently don't help out the back 4 either. This area is I feel sadly lacking , however, it is only my opinion as the above is yours. [Sorry for going off topic]. As for Doyle, must say I am impressed with his commitment and general play considering it is his first full season in the SPL, still learning/developing.

Hibeesforever
27-12-2012, 06:40 PM
The reason the ball comes straight back from the centre is because there's nobody in the midfield who can play a ball along the ground for a striker to run onto(wotherspoon had two attempts in the first half that weren't good enough to be called pathetic)as a result they are always having to take the ball with their back to goal.

Neither Griffiths or Doyle make runs in the channels for through balls, hence none are provided.

Better use of the training facility needed.

It will come right Saturday.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-12-2012, 06:45 PM
I think that Doyle is a decent player and Griffiths is a better player, but to me, they are two forwards rather than a natural pairing.

frazeHFC
27-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Re bit in bold -- Really ? IMO this is the area we are sadly lacking, we don't have a "Midfield General" to control the game. Deegan is a good "Enforcer" but his eye for a killer through-ball is sadly lacking. We could also do with a tricky,fast wide player or, if we moved Cairney inside two tricky wide players. At present our midfield do not create enough chances for our strikers to feed off and frequently don't help out the back 4 either. This area is I feel sadly lacking , however, it is only my opinion as the above is yours. [Sorry for going off topic]. As for Doyle, must say I am impressed with his commitment and general play considering it is his first full season in the SPL, still learning/developing.

I think Claros, Cairney, Deegan and Taiwo are tidy players who are good enough to play for us, and Wotherspoon is looking better this season. Don't think we are being walked over like the last few seasons in the middle of the park, but true we don't create enough. Would also like to see them have more confidence to take a shot too.

Hibeesforever
27-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Neither Griffiths or Doyle make runs in the channels for through balls, hence none are provided.

Better use of the training facility needed.

It will come right Saturday.

Jones28
27-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I think this is pretty harsh tbh, 8 goals for the season plus a few assists is not a bad tally when you consider the lack of service.

His second goal against Motherwell was a very accomplished finish. True striker. It shows when he gets the service he can score the goals.

People getting on his back for not wining headers: have you seen the guy? 5'9 and skinny: he is not a target man. Nor is griffiths, so why are these high balls constantly being fired up to him?

HibeeMG
27-12-2012, 08:39 PM
I didn't start the thread to try to blame Eoin for our recent poor form. Far from it. Without his recent goal scoring form we'd be in even worse shape.

I'm just confused as to why we are playing to what are his obvious weaknesses rather than his strengths.

Also, as he is so weak in the air, are we helping him by putting him up against the defenders in training? Our centre-halfs are some of the strongest I've seen at Hibs for clearing headers. He should be given an hour a day against them to make this side of his game better.

As others have pointed out, he isn't an 'out' ball at the moment as the ball just doesn't stick.

For me, it's not a case of getting on the guy's back but that our tactics are just not suited to the players we have.

Fergus52
27-12-2012, 11:44 PM
If Griffiths wasn't our penalty taker they would be equal on goals.

Don't understand the stick Doyle gets at all, I feel that he's been one of our better players this season and has chipped in with alot of important goals and assists.