PDA

View Full Version : Cairney

Iceman1875
24-12-2012, 09:14 AM
After his undeserved yellow card yesterday, what matches will he be suspended for?

hibs4thecup1988
24-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Dundee game after winter break. Takes 2 weeks to come into play for 6 yellows

Hibs Class
24-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Dundee

joe breezy
24-12-2012, 09:28 AM
That should be open to review - shocking decision

HibeeN
24-12-2012, 09:37 AM
He picks up a few bookings so he was always going to get suspended sooner or later. Maybe a blessing in disguise that it's coming against the club bottom of the SPL? (Not that we can take anything for granted obviously, even against Dundee, but if he has to miss a game there could be worse outcomes than this one.)

The_Sauz
24-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Looked like a two footed tackle going by this photo http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4712388/Kenny-Shiels-diving-row-costs-sad-Paul-Cairney-a-penalty.html
Sorry about it being in the sun :duck:

Golden Bear
24-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Today's sports headline in the Scotsman:-

"Fenlon considers being a 'moaner' as Cairney is booked for simulation"

Pat's obviously made a veiled reference to Kenny Shiels ridiculous outburst when he accused Cairney of diving in the first game at ER.

Boyle89
24-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I mentioned this on the match thread. It's not just the booking or the suspension that's the worst thing, but how he will be treated when a similar incident happens in the future.

sbell1875
24-12-2012, 04:10 PM
I thought it was a penalty and I have no doubt what happened in September has swayed the referees decision.

It is made even more disappointing by the fact he now has a suspension to serve.

Sir David Gray
24-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Having seen the replay about two or three times now, it's absolutely ludicrous to think that he has taken a dive in that incident. There was clearly a foul committed but even if the referee didn't think it was enough for a penalty, it certainly should not have resulted in a booking for Cairney.

There should be an appeals process in place for bookings where a player has effectively been accused of cheating.

ancient hibee
24-12-2012, 04:34 PM
It was a penalty but he goes down too easily looking for fouls in most games-the ref against Motherwell told him to get up twice.He's strongly built and plays near to the ground and can go past on either side-he should play to these strengths and stay on his feet.He should also score more goals-his poor control(unusually for him)led to him missing a sitter on Sunday.He got a foul for nothing on the half way line against Motherwell-if he had just gone past the guy instead of deliberately running into him he'd have been on his way to the bye line.

PISTOL1875
24-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Having seen the replay about two or three times now, it's absolutely ludicrous to think that he has taken a dive in that incident. There was clearly a foul committed but even if the referee didn't think it was enough for a penalty, it certainly should not have resulted in a booking for Cairney.

There should be an appeals process in place for bookings where a player has effectively been accused of cheating.

There is the problem right there, the ref doesn't have the pleasure of seeing a replay time and time again does he ?? he has a split second to make the call and if he's right then he's right and if he's wrong then he's wrong..

hfc rd
24-12-2012, 10:07 PM
At one point I worried that he was going to miss either the smeltic or yams match.

Sir David Gray
24-12-2012, 10:14 PM
There is the problem right there, the ref doesn't have the pleasure of seeing a replay time and time again does he ?? he has a split second to make the call and if he's right then he's right and if he's wrong then he's wrong..

Very true but the contact seemed fairly obvious to me, even after seeing it for the first time.

As I said earlier, if he didn't think it was worthy of a penalty then I could almost have lived with that but how he thought that Cairney had taken a dive is really beyond me.

hibbysam
24-12-2012, 10:17 PM

That's a bigger problem you just quoted.. If he's wrong he's wrong.. The ref has to be 100% sure he dived to book him! It doesn't have to be a penalty(which it was anyways but that's besides the point) or a dive..! Why should a player stay on his feet? If he stays on his feet he has 0 chance of getting the foul! It seems the only way to get a foul these days is by going to ground! Referees need to get these calls correct.. Even the one at the other end with Doyle was a shocker from the man in the middle

Leithenhibby
24-12-2012, 10:39 PM
He has the booking, it was a penalty and he has a ban coming up. Just glad it's the Dundee game and we can move on, it was a matter of time before the ban came. :agree:

As others have said, he is above that kind of "soft stuff" :wink:

PISTOL1875
25-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Very true but the contact seemed fairly obvious to me, even after seeing it for the first time.

As I said earlier, if he didn't think it was worthy of a penalty then I could almost have lived with that but how he thought that Cairney had taken a dive is really beyond me.

It might've seemed obvious to you mate but you aren't the ref are you??. The ref might've been looking at it from a different angle as well from us.. I thought it was a pen as PC got rid of the ball before contact came in but the ref has seen it differently..

No point in moaning about it now , none of us can change the outcome..

greenginger
25-12-2012, 11:19 AM
That's a bigger problem you just quoted.. If he's wrong he's wrong.. The ref has to be 100% sure he dived to book him! It doesn't have to be a penalty(which it was anyways but that's besides the point) or a dive..! Why should a player stay on his feet? If he stays on his feet he has 0 chance of getting the foul! It seems the only way to get a foul these days is by going to ground! Referees need to get these calls correct.. Even the one at the other end with Doyle was a shocker from the man in the middle

If Cairney had'nt taken off when the tackle came in, straight leg in with studs showing, he might well have been looking at a broken ankle.( or end up dead if you play for Man. Utd. ) :confused:

Was Cairney just meant to keep his foot on the deck and take the hit. It was'nt as if the player did a quadruple roll over in fained agony.

Billy Whizz
25-12-2012, 11:51 AM
He also got a stupid booking against Dundee Utd for time wasting at a corner late in the game

hibbysam
25-12-2012, 03:10 PM
He also got a stupid booking against Dundee Utd for time wasting at a corner late in the game

Don't see what your getting at here..? He got booked against United for waiting on the ref to get them back 10 yards before taking the corner, nothing wrong with that, if anything it should be the United players that get booked for not going 10 yards.. so thats now two bookings that he shouldnt have been given;.

Billy Whizz
25-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Don't see what your getting at here..? He got booked against United for waiting on the ref to get them back 10 yards before taking the corner, nothing wrong with that, if anything it should be the United players that get booked for not going 10 yards.. so thats now two bookings that he shouldnt have been given;.

Merry Xmas to you too!

Jones28
25-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Was it not the case that we were a goal up and united were pressing the game in there favour? A baw hair off an equaliser on a couple of occasions iirc

hibs4thecup1988
26-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Billy not exactly sure what you are getting at. The main fact is that he didn't deserve that booking against United. Or Killie. Don't know his other 4 yellow cards. But be interesting to see what they were

Ozyhibby
26-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Billy not exactly sure what you are getting at. The main fact is that he didn't deserve that booking against United. Or Killie. Don't know his other 4 yellow cards. But be interesting to see what they were

I don't mind the time wasting against United as that's exactly what we were trying to do, however I'm sure a couple of his booking were for celebrating with the crowd (could be wrong on this) and that really annoys me. We're all happy we scored but there's no need for players to pick up needless bookings in the process.

AlbertK86
26-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Yep booked for celebration at Perth where he nearly jumped right in beside us