PDA

View Full Version : Fergie - havering auld soak!

IWasThere2016
23-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Time tae lay aff the Buckie/Meths combos - Van Persie 'lucky to be alive' - http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20833433

:faf: Utterly ridiculous statement even for that erse!

Rossco1875
23-12-2012, 05:11 PM
better get your tin hat on the man u fans will be along the now:wink:

R'Albin
23-12-2012, 05:13 PM
I do sort of agree with him even if it is over the top, could have seriously hurt the guy. Oh and I don't believe for a second that this is him 'losing it', I doubt he has ever said anything during an interview that wasn't well thought through.

IWasThere2016
23-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Reeking wants the Swans player banned :faf:

Hibercelona
23-12-2012, 05:29 PM
FFS.

I remember playing football at my primary school when I was about 7 or 8. I'd get the ball leathered off my scalp on a weekly basis. Even in the winter when the ball was as solid as a rock.

What a bunch of pansies! Embarrassing.

jonty
23-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Time tae lay aff the Buckie/Meths combos - Van Persie 'lucky to be alive' - http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20833433

:faf: Utterly ridiculous statement even for that erse!it takes one slavering old erse to know one.I wouldn't fancy being hit on the back of the head by a football at, what, 60mph?We should run trials - TQM can be the first (crash test) dummy on trial. Call mythbusters now!!!

Golden Bear
23-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Is Fergie not teetotal.?

IWasThere2016
23-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Is Fergie not teetotal.?

Pickled in red wine..

Hibercelona
23-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Reeking wants the Swans player banned :faf:

Perhaps somebody should explain to the old codger that foot to ball is standard practice in the sport of football.

VickMackie
23-12-2012, 05:34 PM
He's got a got a point. I'm sure it could have caused whiplash or broke a bone in his neck.

IWasThere2016
23-12-2012, 05:35 PM
it takes one slavering old erse to know one.I wouldn't fancy being hit on the back of the head by a football at, what, 60mph?We should run trials - TQM can be the first (crash test) dummy on trial. Call mythbusters now!!!

RVP was up quick - remarkable given his near fatal experience :faf:

23-12-2012, 05:37 PM
#prayforvanpersie is trending on twitter :faf:

Get a grip Fergie :bye:

IWasThere2016
23-12-2012, 05:38 PM
#prayforvanpersie is trending on twitter :faf:

Get a grip Fergie :bye:

:faf:

Velma Dinkley
23-12-2012, 05:49 PM
he's one of the best and most respected football managers in the world. and he's scottish. what's to like??

Seveno
23-12-2012, 06:24 PM
FFS.

I remember playing football at my primary school when I was about 7 or 8. I'd get the ball leathered off my scalp on a weekly basis. Even in the winter when the ball was as solid as a rock.

Ball ! Thinks yourself licky, lad. In my day, we played with an actual rock. Broke my skull every other week.

Hibercelona
23-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Ball ! Thinks yourself licky, lad. In my day, we played with an actual rock. Broke my skull every other week.

Why would you play with a rock instead?

That's just stupid. :wink:

Bostonhibby
23-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Nae way it would have killed or seriously injured him but looking at Williams, and where he was looking, there's no doubt he knew exactly what he was doing and he should have got a red card for his trouble.

Bostonhibby
23-12-2012, 06:37 PM

We used to have to lick pitch clean wi' t tongue before we could even start.

The youth of today, they don't know how lucky they are.

lucky
23-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Usual anti Man U posts on here. RVP was never in danger but it was stupid of Williams to skelp the ball of him whilst he was on the deck. Kevin McBride got sent off against Old co for doing something similar

Hibercelona
23-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Nae way it would have killed or seriously injured him but looking at Williams, and where he was looking, there's no doubt he knew exactly what he was doing and he should have got a red card for his trouble.

Why?

There's nothing in the rule book that says the ball can't strike an opposition player.

You see it all the time when players take freekicks and they intentionally hit it into the wall.

Bostonhibby
23-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Why?

There's nothing in the rule book that says the ball can't strike an opposition player.

You see it all the time when players take freekicks and they intentionally hit it into the wall.

intent, which seemed pretty clear to me, and ungentlemanly conduct - know the latter means means nothing these days but thats what I think it was. Nae fan of RVP but to be fair he rather makes as erky of Fergies point by instantly getting up and trying to sort the guy out rather than waiting for the medivac helicopter to arrive.

Hibercelona
23-12-2012, 06:50 PM
intent, which seemed pretty clear to me, and ungentlemanly conduct - know the latter means means nothing these days but thats what I think it was. Nae fan of RVP but to be fair he rather makes as erky of Fergies point by instantly getting up and trying to sort the guy out rather than waiting for the medivac helicopter to arrive.

Intentional or not. It's not against the rules. It's just a player hitting the ball off an opposition player during open play.

It happens all the time whether its intentional or not. I just don't see the big deal and Ferguson is just looking like an even bigger arse than he already does.

Bostonhibby
23-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Intentional or not. It's not against the rules. It's just a player hitting the ball off an opposition player during open play.

It happens all the time whether its intentional or not. I just don't see the big deal and Ferguson is just looking like an even bigger arse than he already does.

Must admit, I thought he kicked it after the whistle had gone - mind you I was in the pub watching it. There was a helluva lot of places he could have kicked it and I believe he aimed at RVP. Still nae harm done. Wonder waht would have happened if he had injured him.

lapsedhibee
23-12-2012, 06:53 PM

Don't think Fergie said that it did kill Van Persie, just that it could have, so the fact that he got up and chased the Swansea halfwit is no argument against Fergie's statement.

I hope he does get a retrospective red, as it's high time that people behaving like c**** on a fitba pitch was clamped down on. And that thug Scholes should have been off as well - came on with about five minutes to go and proceeded to chop as many people as he could catch (which wasn't many) in the time available to him. Pure thug.

PeterboroHibee
23-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Fergies comments were over the top (probably to deflect from the draw), but Williams was very close to RVP and looked like he meant it. It is a bit dangerous and definitely unsporting, you cant blame him for bringing it up.

Wotherspiniesta
23-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Why?

I think there's a bit of a differece between the ball "striking an opposition player" and kicking the ball with force into the guys head when he's lying on the ground.

jgl07
23-12-2012, 07:20 PM
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x411/JGL07/ComicalAlex.jpg

Comical Alex strikes again.

Geo_1875
23-12-2012, 07:23 PM
I think it's difficult to prove intent. The other problem is proving a player is capable of hitting a target with the ball.

blaikie
23-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Williams has said he hit the ball out of frustration, But after watching it on youtube it does look like there was some intent to hit RVP. Maybe not death but serious injury especially getting struck on the head at close range,

Did Alan Smith when playing for Man utd not take a nasty one after blocking a shot years ago?

VickMackie
23-12-2012, 08:20 PM
I think those suggesting that the ball couldn't have injured him are the silly ones.

Getting hit at 70-100mph with a ball whilst you're tryin to get up off the ground with muscles already straining as you lift your head up can hurt you.

allezsauzee
23-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Poor old Man United. The world is against them. They get nothing from anybody. I've often wondered why they seem to have a bond with Celtic.

Geo_1875
23-12-2012, 09:10 PM
A ball travelling at 70 to 100 mph? Get serious if you're joining the conversation.

Speedy
23-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Why?

Violent conduct?

Jonnyboy
23-12-2012, 09:15 PM
I think those suggesting that the ball couldn't have injured him are the silly ones.

Getting hit at 70-100mph with a ball whilst you're tryin to get up off the ground with muscles already straining as you lift your head up can hurt you.

Is this just an arbitrary figure or does it have some basis in fact?

LaMotta
23-12-2012, 09:24 PM

Haven't seen the incident but assuming the Swansea boy was leathering it as hard as he could, then the figures sound about right.

I had my shot speed measured at Hampden on the stadium tour and it was about 70mph, so safe to say guys playing football for a living should be hitting it a bit harder than that :greengrin

David Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday had a shot measured at 114 mph in a game against Arsenal in the 90's.

Jonnyboy
23-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Haven't seen the incident but assuming the Swansea boy was leathering it as hard as he could, then the figures sound about right.

I had my shot speed measured at Hampden on the stadium tour and it was about 70mph, so safe to say guys playing football for a living should be hitting it a bit harder than that :greengrin

David Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday had a shot measured at 114 mph in a game against Arsenal in the 90's.

Fair do's :agree: I just hadn't thought about the speed of the ball before :greengrin

VickMackie
23-12-2012, 09:47 PM

I just made it up!

On second look it wasn't hit hard.

Jonnyboy
23-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I just made it up!

On second look it wasn't hit hard.

:greengrin

Joking aside I agree Williams was wrong to do what he did but I believe Fergie's 'coulda killed him' claim will stop reasoned debate on the incident itself.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Kevin McBride was sent off for less a few years ago against oldco.

Not sure about the claim that it could have resulted in the death of van Persie but it was certainly worthy of a red card.

500miles
23-12-2012, 11:00 PM
You never know. I wouldn't go taking shots like that anyway. The ball is hard, and a footballer can get a lot of power behind the ball. One of them in the temple, and you'll give someone's brain a good rattle.

PISTOL1875
23-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Yet another case of sour grapes here from Baconpuss.. Firstly moaning about the foul on RVP leading up to the goal.. How about concerning himself with the fact Swansea went up the pitch and scored and United's defending was nothing more than just crap. Look at Evra's positioning and that leaves a lot to be desired...

Then the ball being whacked against RVP's head ?? Isn't football a contact sport and the ball is likely to hit players from time to time ??? Was Baconpuss giving any thought to David Beckham's safety when he kicked a boot at him all those years ago ?? Most probably not..

JohnStephens91
24-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Good manager, but an absolute roaster. Most dangerous thing he's ever seen on a football pitch? It wouldn't even make a top 10 of Roy Keane's dangerous actions against fellow professionals. Other thugs include Cantona (I know there was an extra circumstance, but still not acceptable), Scholes and Vidic and did he have anything to say when any of his players cripple opponents? Probably not because he is a turd.

Stevie Reid
24-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Have just seen the incident several times over on SSN, really poor stuff from the defender who knew exactly what he was up to IMO.

A ball struck with such force and from so close to the back of someone's head, who had no idea it was coming and no time to brace himself, could definitely have caused a serious neck injury. Surprised that so many on here don't seem to understand that.

The Green Goblin
24-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Poor old Man United. The world is against them. They get nothing from anybody. I've often wondered why they seem to have a bond with Celtic.

:greengrin

PerfectlyFranck
24-12-2012, 02:41 AM
FFS.

Compared to a heavy 28 year-old EPL centre-back blasting the ball in fury, hitting Van Persie's head from behind when he was unaware a metre or two away. Who are the 'pansies'? No-one cried or broke down in shock, wriggling about like Suarez.

It wasn't intentionally hit at Van Persie but it still hit him and could've caused serious injury. He deserves to get a ban in my opinion. It irritates me just seeing players kick the ball away like that.

EdinMike
24-12-2012, 04:16 AM
FFS.

I was gonna type something. But you beat me to it...

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Good manager, but an absolute roaster. Most dangerous thing he's ever seen on a football pitch? It wouldn't even make a top 10 of Roy Keane's dangerous actions against fellow professionals. Other thugs include Cantona (I know there was an extra circumstance, but still not acceptable), Scholes and Vidic and did he have anything to say when any of his players cripple opponents? Probably not because he is a turd.Exactly. It was no where near as dangerous as Scholes's tackle on Zabaleta (I think?) in the FA cup semi 2 years ago or that Keane one on Alf Inge Haaland

Personally I think Ferguson is making a big deal out of nothing, the chances of it actually injuring RVP were pretty slim.

HH81
24-12-2012, 05:27 AM
I personally think the best part of the incident is watching him trying to get up and the defender triping him up.

Moon unit
24-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Didums!...poor guy got hit in the puss' with a ball...when u see the contact rugby players dish out each week ! It makes me despair to what is happening in modern football. Fergie was well out of order with his rant at the Swansea player, it was a spare of the moment thing . Fergie should learn to keep it shut, but I think I think I'm 30 years to late for that one!

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2012, 07:02 AM

Not sure about the claim that it could have resulted in the death of van Persie but it was certainly worthy of a red card.

Cantona v fan in the stand, no comment.

Keane v Halgeland, No comment.

Brown v RVP, attempted murder hahahahahahahahahaha

Mon Dieu4
24-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Jimmy Boco took a worse one at Ibrox from an Albertz free kick. footballers are a bunch of pansies, it was nothing

lapsedhibee
24-12-2012, 07:29 AM
I remember playing football at my primary school when I was about 7 or 8. I'd get the ball leathered off my scalp on a weekly basis.

A ball struck with such force and from so close to the back of someone's head, who had no idea it was coming and no time to brace himself, could definitely have caused a serious neck injury. Surprised that so many on here don't seem to understand that.

:hmmm:

IWasThere2016
24-12-2012, 08:16 AM

The McBride red was farcical. As would any punishment be this time. Reeking got his Fergie time and didnae get 3 points so he needed something else to moan aboot. Simples.

#prayforvanpersie :faf:

lapsedhibee
24-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Compared to a heavy 28 year-old EPL centre-back blasting the ball in fury, hitting Van Persie's head from behind when he was unaware a metre or two away. Who are the 'pansies'? No-one cried or broke down in shock, wriggling about like Suarez.

It wasn't intentionally hit at Van Persie but it still hit him and could've caused serious injury. He deserves to get a ban in my opinion. It irritates me just seeing players kick the ball away like that.

Captain of a premier league club claiming that he was trying to clear the ball. Yet not apparently aware that to lift the ball over two bodies lying on the ground in front of you, you have to kick the bottom half of the ball. As deliberate a malicious act as you're ever likely to see!

Geo_1875
24-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Captain of a premier league club claiming that he was trying to clear the ball. Yet not apparently aware that to lift the ball over two bodies lying on the ground in front of you, you have to kick the bottom half of the ball. As deliberate a malicious act as you're ever likely to see!

But still not attempted murder.

lapsedhibee
24-12-2012, 10:02 AM
But still not attempted murder.

Don't think that Fergie said either of these two things:
(1) The Swansea boy killed Van Persie
(2) The Swansea boy tried to kill Van Persie

To say that Van Persie could have been killed is pushing it a bit; but to say that he could have been seriously injured (which Fergie did also say) is absolutely correct. The Swansea boy got off very lightly with a booking - West Ham and Everton players got reds the previous day for less recklessness.

hibs4thecup1988
24-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Have just seen the incident several times over on SSN, really poor stuff from the defender who knew exactly what he was up to IMO.

Stevie don't worry some people just despise United.

If that was done against Griffiths or Doyle yesterday this board would be up in arms. Guaranteed. Shocking actions by the player and I do feel he will get suspended for it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-12-2012, 11:14 AM
RVP was lucky he made a James Hunt of himself trying to get at the Swansea player or it would've been him that got sent off.

The_Exile
24-12-2012, 11:23 AM
He's been doing this for 30 years and still folk don't cotton on to it, the comment he made has sparked much debate, glossing over the fact Utd got held to a draw by Swansea.

Anyone remember the game where they got beat by Southampton and he trotted out the "we couldn't make each other out in those new grey strips" comment? Exact same process and train of thought, works every time.

The Harp Awakes
24-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Didums!...poor guy got hit in the puss' with a ball...when u see the contact rugby players dish out each week ! It makes me despair to what is happening in modern football. Fergie was well out of order with his rant at the Swansea player, it was a spare of the moment thing . Fergie should learn to keep it shut, but I think I think I'm 30 years to late for that one!

:agree:

Fergie's record speaks for itself but he doesn't half talk p1sh sometimes.

FromTheCapital
24-12-2012, 11:36 AM
To be honest, I think it was unsporting and quite stupid what Williams done but I think Fergie's 'Robin is lucky to be alive!' is a bit over the top. It could've been a bit painful but Fergie was just trying to distract the media from the fact that they never won the game. City are looking as if they're picking up again even though they needed that last minute winner against Reading... Might just be the sign of Champions?

heretoday
24-12-2012, 11:54 AM
If Utd had won Fergie would have been all smiles and joshing with the interviewer, as he does. It's all part of being a passionate manager I suppose.

United ain't half boring to watch although they perked up when Giggs came on. What happened to Nani?

Skanko79
24-12-2012, 12:41 PM
so any player taking a ball square in the coupon while standing in a wall defending a free kick also risks attempted murder.

aye right, poor van persie. try taking a mitre mould master square in the puss in -3 conditions at calvary park.

couldnt have happened to a nicer guy imo (aye right)

the boy was clearing the ball, the ball was still in play, RVP was in the road and thats that.

TamHibs
24-12-2012, 01:33 PM
so any player taking a ball square in the coupon while standing in a wall defending a free kick also risks attempted murder.

aye right, poor van persie. try taking a mitre mould master square in the puss in -3 conditions at calvary park.

the boy was clearing the ball, the ball was still in play, RVP was in the road and thats that.

Ball wasn't in play as the ref had blown the whistle, Williams knew exactly what he was doing as he was looking right at RVP when he belted the ball. Hence why Williams got a yellow. Although I remember McBride doing it against the Huns a few year back & he was sent off.

I don't agree that it could've killed him however re your point about being in a wall. There is a massive difference being hit with a ball from 10 yards away than being hit from point blank range more or less.

Hibernia&Alba
25-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Could have killed him??? Nonsense

The great man ( and he is truly great ) shouldn't have given the anti-United millions the opportunity to seize upon such comments. He's better than that. The guy was wrong to boot the ball at an opponent, but come on, it was handbags. Football has become so soft. Button it, auld yin, and stick to being the best manager in the world.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-12-2012, 02:15 AM
I once got hit in the face with a conker. F******g raging.

PISTOL1875
25-12-2012, 10:57 AM
He's been doing this for 30 years and still folk don't cotton on to it, the comment he made has sparked much debate, glossing over the fact Utd got held to a draw by Swansea.

Anyone remember the game where they got beat by Southampton and he trotted out the "we couldn't make each other out in those new grey strips" comment? Exact same process and train of thought, works every time.
H

He also came out after the game and had a go at the ref , no doubt that will go out un-punished.

Cropley10
25-12-2012, 01:28 PM
A ball travelling at 70 to 100 mph? Get serious if you're joining the conversation.

:faf:

jgl07
25-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Christmas Cluedo puzzle solution:

Ashley Williams

In the penalty area

With a ball!

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Anyone remember the attempted murder by Fergie on David Beckham?

iwasthere1972
25-12-2012, 04:05 PM

What a load of codswallop.

jgl07
27-12-2012, 02:16 AM
The old drunk excelled himsellf today. He came on to the pitch at the start of the second half and had a go at the referee and assistant. He then spent the whole of the second half outside of the technical area without a peep from the fourth official.

If Kenny Shiels had pulled a strunt like that he would have been banned for two years.

cad
27-12-2012, 03:14 AM
The old drunk excelled himsellf today. He came on to the pitch at the start of the second half and had a go at the referee and assistant. He then spent the whole of the second half outside of the technical area without a peep from the fourth official.

If Kenny Shiels had pulled a strunt like that he would have been banned for two years.

Couldn't believe how he got away with it ,4th official would have been better of at the sales for all the use he was

Alex Trager
27-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Couldn't believe how he got away with it ,4th official would have been better of at the sales for all the use he was

He actually looks scared at one point. That's how up in his face fergie was

blackpoolhibs
27-12-2012, 08:28 AM

I pulled a strunt once, but managed to sneak out in the morning before she woke. :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Fergie's credibility is now veering towards a decline in the same manner as Brian Clough. For all the rantings and garbage he comes out with now, the basic point he makes is that referees are daring not to see things his way. Whether he is right or wrong isn't the point it seems.

lapsedhibee
27-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Fergie's credibility is now veering towards a decline in the same manner as Brian Clough. For all the rantings and garbage he comes out with now, the basic point he makes is that referees are daring not to see things his way. Whether he is right or wrong isn't the point it seems.

He could have killed the officials. Drowned them in the sheer quantity of his spittle. :agree: