PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

hibsbollah
23-12-2012, 02:46 PM
After another good performance today, is there a case for him to be the regular left back? Personally My first choice would still be a Clancy-McPake-Hanlon-McGivern back four, but if McGivern goes I'd be very comfortable for Lewis to take over. He's certainly not our weakest link.

Thoughts?

lucky
23-12-2012, 02:50 PM
He played well today. He always gives 100%. But not sure he is good enough to be a regular starter at LB

Stevie Reid
23-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Has never let us down when he's played there.

hibs4thecup1988
23-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Agreed 100%. Think he has been superb there the last few games he has had to cover. Was great against Hearts. People will say he was at fault for the goal today but I don't see it

Bleeds green
23-12-2012, 02:52 PM
He played well very unselfish in his work rate, killie play some neat stuff this suits Lewis against other teams he will be found out height wise so it's a case of in and out for him I'm afraid he's never going to be a left back I would like as a first pick

FromTheCapital
23-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I thought our Man of the Match today was between Taiwo and Stevenson. Both I thought were absolutely outstanding. I posted a thread about how I think McGivern is a centre back and I thought he was good today, So, my back four would be... Clancy-McPake-McGivern-Stevenson. I know Hanlon is still a young lad but he's just not as good as Stevenson for me. Another excellent performance today Lewis! :agree:

Cod Boy
23-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Deegan was man of the match for hibs for me

Stevie Reid
23-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Thought he was poor in the first half but played well in the second.

Golden Bear
23-12-2012, 02:57 PM
If Lewis was aboot a foot taller he would be an outstanding left back.

Stevie Reid
23-12-2012, 03:05 PM
It'll certainly be interesting to see what Fenlon does on Wednesday.

truehibernian
23-12-2012, 03:09 PM

Thought he was very good today, simple and crisp passing, good tackles - actually freed up Taiwo a little who in my opinion is coming into a game and getting up to pace of the SPL.

Cairney always threatened and looked busy - he was my man of the match. He sparked life into Hibs today.

hibsbollah
23-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Not sure about the height chat. Jordi Alba, Patrice Evra, Philippe Lahm,Baines at Everton are all left backs and all shorterses...

*obvious disclaimer-I am not saying Lewis is of the same calibre as the above players*

Hiber-nation
23-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't want to see Lewis back in midfield other than in an emergency. Left back is his position and I'd be more than happy if he filled that role for years to come.

Stevie Reid
23-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Thought he was very good today, simple and crisp passing, good tackles - actually freed up Taiwo a little who in my opinion is coming into a game and getting up to pace of the SPL.

Cairney always threatened and looked busy - he was my man of the match. He sparked life into Hibs today.

How well Cairney plays tends to reflect how well we play. He was pretty good today.

Feed McGraw
23-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I thought our Man of the Match today was between Taiwo and Stevenson. Both I thought were absolutely outstanding. I posted a thread about how I think McGivern is a centre back and I thought he was good today, So, my back four would be... Clancy-McPake-McGivern-Stevenson. I know Hanlon is still a young lad but he's just not as good as Stevenson for me. Another excellent performance today Lewis! :agree:

Yeah, would like to see that back four tried. Btw I wouldn`t say Hanlon is particularly young in football terms - he turns 23 in a few weeks and he also has bags of experience.

Bleeds green
23-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Not sure about the height chat. Jordi Alba, Patrice Evra, Philippe Lahm,Baines at Everton are all left backs and all shorterses...

*obvious disclaimer-I am not saying Lewis is of the same calibre as the above players*

These players don't play in the spl though HOOF!!!! Folk may not like that but thems the facts

AlbertK86
23-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Thought Lewis played pretty well today but still has a bit of a tendency to trot alongside the winger and allowing the cross in. Certainly wasn't as guilty of that today as he was at Inverness.

As another person penned earlier I like McGivern at CH - very composed and think he would compliment McPake well.

Lewis or Hanlon at LB dependant on who we are playing. Lewis looking no bad going forward on overlap so may just edge it for me just now

hibsbollah
23-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Thought Lewis played pretty well today but still has a bit of a tendency to trot alongside the winger and allowing the cross in. Certainly wasn't as guilty of that today as he was at Inverness.

As another person penned earlier I like McGivern at CH - very composed and think he would compliment McPake well.

Lewis or Hanlon at LB dependant on who we are playing. Lewis looking no bad going forward on overlap so may just edge it for me just now

Personally ive never liked Hanlon at LB.

JCHibby
23-12-2012, 03:39 PM
After another good performance today, is there a case for him to be the regular left back? Personally My first choice would still be a Clancy-McPake-Hanlon-McGivern back four, but if McGivern goes I'd be very comfortable for Lewis to take over. He's certainly not our weakest link.

Thoughts?

100% agree

I thought he was superb today, went past players looking comfy on the ball, was good to see. Also thought Spoony played well, didn't influence the game much going forward but put in some shift in helping Maybury. Decent point, just wish we keep the ball on the ground, actually look good when we just play football.

Judas Iscariot
23-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Motm but Shan clearance for their goal ten playe everyone onside by about 5 yards?!

Folk are easy pleased

500miles
23-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Motm but Shan clearance for their goal ten playe everyone onside by about 5 yards?!

Folk are easy pleased

There was nothing wrong with the clearance. Got caught in two minds for the offside trap, but McGivern shouldnt be getting caught out by a long high ball he had plenty of time to judge the flight of.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2012, 04:00 PM
If Lewis was a natural left back or even a defensive minded player, he would have instinctively known to tuck inside for Killie's goal. Not having a dig though, because for me, he is and always will be, a midfielder playing out of position. And within those boundaries, he had yet another decent shift.

bingo70
23-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh ffs why are people still trying to squeeze him into our team???!!! He had a couple of decent moments but he was to blame for our goal, not his fault but he's just not a full back and he's not good enough in a midfield.

If we're to become good he won't be involved in the first team

Judas Iscariot
23-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Any coincidence that he was nowhere near the 1st team when we were on our decent run?!

danhibees1875
23-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Folk are easy pleased

Can't blame the clearance... He got the ball into their half, they just managed to control it and get back down quickly.

But yes, should have tucked in or pushed up. He gets joint blame with Ryan for charging in and not coming close to winning the header and maybury for giving away the foul in the first place.

Overall thought Lewis - once again - played well.

bingo70
23-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Any coincidence that he was nowhere near the 1st team when we were on our decent run?!

Correct, missed the semi last year as well.

500miles
23-12-2012, 04:36 PM

He's played 13 times this season....

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Had a good game Today, obviously split comments/opinions on LS, but for me he never gives less than 100%......

If we got bigger home crowds, maybe we could get a "better" full back.....:rolleyes:

trev the hat
23-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Correct, missed the semi last year as well.

Never missed the 07 league cup final, gie the guy a break ffs, had a good game today, very good game against yams & had he started v well, 3 points I reckon.
Has more fight for the jersey than most in last 3/4 yr.

Said it before, there's other players before Lewis should be asking if they gave enough after a game.
Keep it up son.
GGTTH

jdships
23-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Oh ffs why are people still trying to squeeze him into our team???!!! He had a couple of decent moments but he was to blame for our goal, not his fault but he's just not a full back and he's not good enough in a midfield.

If we're to become good he won't be involved in the first team

Thankfully that is your opinion which you are free to express :wink:
Thank goodness PF see is differently :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Never missed the 07 league cup final, gie the guy a break ffs, had a good game today, very good game against yams & had he started v well, 3 points I reckon.
Has more fight for the jersey than most in last 3/4 yr.

Said it before, there's other players before Lewis should be asking if they gave enough after a game.
Keep it up son.
GGTTH

:top marks:top marks

jdships
23-12-2012, 05:02 PM
:top marks:top marks

and for me too :thumbsup::agree:

Judas Iscariot
23-12-2012, 05:04 PM
His only saving grace is Alan Maybury

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2012, 05:19 PM
IMO LS was one of our top men Today......Still amazes me to read comments like "if we are to get better LS shouldn't be in our team"?????

He is what he is, dependable in a few positions.....Gives his all, shame he has so many dissenters....

HibbyAndy
23-12-2012, 05:39 PM
LS Was terrific again today.

But don't let that stop the LS haters brigade having a pop. Really really tiresome now.. Who do we want at LB ? Roberto Carlos? Ashley Cole?.. Clichy?

To suggest he offers nothing to the team then these hibs fans know ****all about football.

Hiber-nation
23-12-2012, 05:43 PM

But don't let that stop the LS haters brigade having a pop. Really really tiresome now.. Who do we want at LB ? Roberto Carlos? Ashley Cole?.. Clichy?

To suggest he offers nothing to the team then these hibs fans know ****all about football.

Correct, its absolutely beyond belief for him to get stick after today. One day they might get their 20 goal a season left back who can slot into midfield....

blackpoolhibs
23-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Cole or Clichy would be nice, i think Roberto Carlos might have retired? :dunno:

London Hibs Supporters Club
23-12-2012, 05:45 PM
LS cost us their opening goal by playing their lad onside (by a good 2 yards in old money) - FACT

LS almost cost us another goal that would have put Killie 2-0 up, again by playing too deep and playing their forward on-side - FACT

LS cannot hold the back line - FACT

LS is not a left-back - FACT

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2012, 05:47 PM
LS cost us their opening goal by playing their lad onside (by a good 2 yards in old money) - FACT

LS almost cost us another goal that would have put Killie 2-0 up, again by playing too deep and playing their forward on-side - FACT

It is not LS's fault if he is selected to play at LB....FACT

Hiber-nation
23-12-2012, 05:51 PM

Ah, another "FACT" merchant. Any more pearls of wisdom? Keep going, its actually hilarious!

PeterboroHibee
23-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I never used to like Stevenson, but happy for him to be in the first team (or at least providing competition). I think his best position is in midfield, but his versatility makes him a good player for us to have in the squad!

bingo70
23-12-2012, 06:10 PM

Stupid post.

If he was as good as you say why can't he get a game when we're winning games?
It's a very arrogant opinion of yours considering all the evidence is against you.

Mr White
23-12-2012, 06:33 PM

re the 2nd one, sure that wasn't cairney? Could be a different incident I'm thinking of.

JimBHibees
23-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Lewis was good some of the criticism staggering IMO. Goal was McGivern losing header and more like PH should have been covering also.

bingo70
23-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Lewis was good some of the criticism staggering IMO. Goal was McGivern losing header and more like PH should have been covering also.

Like the whole of last season, its always someone else's fault with lewis eh?!

If it was Maybury that was to blame for the goal I bet people wouldn't be making excuses for him like they are with Stevenson

mim
23-12-2012, 07:16 PM

re the 2nd one, sure that wasn't cairney? Could be a different incident I'm thinking of.

Yes, the second FACT is actually a load of tosh.

It was Cairney who played Killie onside on the second occasion, as South Sub says.

Most of the people I was watching the game with also thought (wrongly) that it was LS.

Jonnyboy
23-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Nor was Deegan, now lauded as a returning Messiah.

There are folk on here who won't acknowledge Lewis' worth to our squad and there are folk who will

I'm happy to report that PF is in the latter group

Postman
23-12-2012, 08:00 PM

If it was Maybury that was to blame for the goal I bet people wouldn't be making excuses for him like they are with Stevenson

Agree 100% with all your opinions on LS. Amazes me how much folk try to defend him all the time, simply not good enough as a left back or a midfielder yet folk desperately want us to find a place for him in the starting 11 because he gives his all when he plays. Would like to see McPake and McGivern playing in the centre and shifting Hanlon to LB for the next few games. Hanlon is becoming another problem for us as he has been very poor the last month or so. Maybe the return of McPake will see a return to form for him but he shouldn't be so reliant on guidance from his CH partner to play well.

bingo70
23-12-2012, 08:08 PM

There are folk on here who won't acknowledge Lewis' worth to our squad and there are folk who will

Jonny, think we've had many debate about Stevensons merits to the squad but just to be clear I don't really have an issue with him being a squad player for us, its the ridiculously over the top reaction to any mediocre performance he has for us that winds me up.

I think he'll always fill in and cover positions to the very best of his ability so fair play to him but today for example I'd rather we hadn't put booth out on loan and he got a chance to impress aa he's got a chance of making that position his own, lewis Stevenson will only ever be mediocre imo.

hibsbollah
23-12-2012, 08:12 PM

:agree: Fenlon has publically singled him out for praise a few times now, both this season and last.

I'm amazed how much bile gets brought to the surface in these Lewis debates to be honest :hilarious all I said in the OP was asked if anyone thought he was worthy of a starting place bearing in mind he was being praised again today, while saying personally I preferred McGivern in there. Cue a load of fury about how ridiculous it was that he's being praised :confused: Bizarre.

For what it's worth Bingo, can you point me in the direction of any 'ridiculously over the top reaction' on this post? I think you're just being daft with that comment.

bingo70
23-12-2012, 08:21 PM
:agree: Fenlon has publically singled him out for praise a few times now, both this season and last.

I'm amazed how much bile gets brought to the surface in these Lewis debates to be honest :hilarious all I said in the OP was asked if anyone thought he was worthy of a starting place bearing in mind he was being praised again today, while saying personally I preferred McGivern in there. Cue a load of fury about how ridiculous it was that he's being praised :confused: Bizarre.

For what it's worth Bingo, can you point me in the direction of any 'ridiculously over the top reaction' on this post? I think you're just being daft with that comment.

On my phone so can't go quoting them all but posts 4 and 6 from this thread are way ott in my opinion about a fairly average performance that included costing us a goal

Postman
23-12-2012, 08:26 PM

What did you expect opening up a debate about a player that splits opinion as much as LS??

He played alright today but did play them onside for their only goal of the game and not many other players would receive the praise he has in those circumstances.

Jonnyboy
23-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Jonny, think we've had many debate about Stevensons merits to the squad but just to be clear I don't really have an issue with him being a squad player for us, its the ridiculously over the top reaction to any mediocre performance he has for us that winds me up.

I think he'll always fill in and cover positions to the very best of his ability so fair play to him but today for example I'd rather we hadn't put booth out on loan and he got a chance to impress aa he's got a chance of making that position his own, lewis Stevenson will only ever be mediocre imo.

I think we know and understand each others view re Lewis :greengrin

You see in the same way that an over the top reaction to mediocre performances irritates you, unfair disparaging comments after he's had a decent game irritate me :greengrin

TornadoHibby
23-12-2012, 08:33 PM
What did you expect opening up a debate about a player that splits opinion as much as LS??

He played alright today but did play them onside for their only goal of the game and not many other players would receive the praise he has in those circumstances.

No, I believe that it was Cairney who was in fact culpable for that 'crime'!! :agree:

bingo70
23-12-2012, 08:35 PM
No, I believe that it was Cairney who was in fact culpable for that 'crime'!! :agree:

It was lewis, it was the second good chance they got that was cairney when lewis got the blame

Jonnyboy
23-12-2012, 08:35 PM
It was lewis, it was the second good chance they got that was cairney when lewis got the blame

:agree:

bingo70
23-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I think we know and understand each others view re Lewis :greengrin

You see in the same way that an over the top reaction to mediocre performances irritates you, unfair disparaging comments after he's had a decent game irritate me :greengrin

I think that's probably a fair summary.

The fact he Cannae get a game when we're winning makes me right and everyone else wrong though (insert winky face smilie here even though I'm being serious) ;-)

hibsbollah
23-12-2012, 08:39 PM

I know. It was wrong of me. Sorry:greengrin

TornadoHibby
23-12-2012, 08:42 PM

I'll need to watch the match highlights when they go on-line then as I was sure it was PC! :agree:

jdships
23-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Your opinion - Fact !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

allezsauzee
23-12-2012, 09:21 PM
I've never really got why so many people are desperate to have a go at Lewis. He gives 100% every time no matter which position he plays. His detractors seem to be determined to pin blame on him at any opportunity, maybe he could have been quicker to cover at the goal (as could Hanlon) but then McGivern could have just won the header in the first place!

JimBHibees
23-12-2012, 09:29 PM

He wasnt to blame for the goal, he amongst 3 players could have done better. McGivern shouldnt have lost the header and Hanlon should have been covering McGivern as well as Lewis tucking in.

As for the rest of the game he was excellent, got forward when he could and also defended well on a number of occasions. Quite why you seem to be determined to have a pop is staggering to me and to bring us last season is incredible given IMO he was one of the very few who actually performed consistently last season.

Judas Iscariot
23-12-2012, 09:50 PM
The whole "McGivern is at fault for losing the 1st header" is nonsense..

Sometimes a player is just beaten by someone who's faster, stronger or better in the air...

Playing everyone onside by 5 yards is a bit more cut & dried

mikethehibee69
23-12-2012, 10:35 PM
If Lewis was aboot a foot taller he would be an outstanding left back.
Yeah and we wouldn't be at Hibs:wink:

JohnStephens91
23-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Always tries his hardest and gives 100% in every match, is a good player, can do all the simple things as well as playing long balls which are accurate. Must be s***.

mikethehibee69
23-12-2012, 10:51 PM
:top marks
Always tries his hardest and gives 100% in every match, is a good player, can do all the simple things as well as playing long balls which are accurate. Must be s***.

500miles
23-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Sometimes a player is just beaten by someone who's faster, stronger or better in the air...

McGivern was no smaller than the man he was marking, but was too slow to jump. It was a floated ball that defenders should be mopping up for fun.

SMAXXA
23-12-2012, 11:02 PM
One of our best players on the park today, how people can criticise him is crazy.

Has done well since he came in ans harshly dropped, I've been critical of him in the past but not recently.

Stevie Reid
24-12-2012, 12:04 AM
From Lewis' 13 appearances this season - W6 D3 L4

JohnStephens91
24-12-2012, 12:06 AM
From Lewis' 13 appearances this season - W6 D3 L4

But we only ever lose when he plays!

Speedy
24-12-2012, 07:27 AM

I said this when he first came back into the team. I don't see any place for him in midfield but he can certainly provide competition/cover for the left back position.

Other than McGivern he'd be my choice for left back at the moment.

J-C
24-12-2012, 07:48 AM

Yes Stevenson played him onside but Hanlon's blatant ball watching while McGivern was jumping for the header didn't help things either, he allowed his man to stroll through and score, another of Hanlon's little concentration lapses. I've been critical of Hanlon in the past and yes he has improved this year but he still makes some schoolboy errors and ball watching while McGivern jumped was one of them.

J-C
24-12-2012, 07:51 AM
I said this when he first came back into the team. I don't see any place for him in midfield but he can certainly provide competition/cover for the left back position.

Other than McGivern he'd be my choice for left back at the moment.

If Fenlon had brought on Stevenson last week at left midfield he would've been able to help McGivern who had a torrid 2nd half. Whether he's a starter or not, Lewis can play in a few different positions and this makes him an asset to the team.

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Lewis will never be perfect, but just look and see what the other option is for left back?

We have a wafer thin squad, but Pat is making it stronger. Give me Lewis every time and twice on a Saturday over that clown Kujabi.

Golden Bear
24-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Criticism of a player who has just had a great game.

Only on Hibs net.

:hnet:

And a very Merry Xmas to you mob as well

:greengrin

hibbymick
24-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Should giving 100% in every match no be a formality for any player ?? Surely its a first and foremost. John Rankin gave nothing less in a Hibs shirt, but it didnt make him a better player. Lewis in my opinion is a very ordinary player.

Feed McGraw
24-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Yes Stevenson played him onside but Hanlon's blatant ball watching while McGivern was jumping for the header didn't help things either, he allowed his man to stroll through and score, another of Hanlon's little concentration lapses. I've been critical of Hanlon in the past and yes he has improved this year but he still makes some schoolboy errors and ball watching while McGivern jumped was one of them.

Stevenson has been pretty good at LB , but I`m afraid you`re right about Hanlon`s ball watching - that`s his biggest fault IMO, not the alleged bullying from all these so called giant centre forwards.

Leishy1995
24-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Watching it back, Stevenson was in line when the original ball was played for the 1st goal. Mcgivern goes forward with Sheridan and loses out, the other striker Heffernan was in the centre. Hanlon was of to the right, Stevenson came across as quick as possible. Now let's look at it this way, Hanlon should surely be on the striker who's free? Therefore blaming Stevenson being blamed is stupid.

If only he was a 6 foot 5 header winner, shockingly bad control though. That's the dream defender...

Lewis plays well, people still dislike him, respect him at least? He's played for the shirt for years and never hides. Didn't even want player of the year last year.

Jones28
25-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Watching it back, Stevenson was in line when the original ball was played for the 1st goal. Mcgivern goes forward with Sheridan and loses out, the other striker Heffernan was in the centre. Hanlon was of to the right, Stevenson came across as quick as possible. Now let's look at it this way, Hanlon should surely be on the striker who's free? Therefore blaming Stevenson being blamed is stupid.

If only he was a 6 foot 5 header winner, shockingly bad control though. That's the dream defender...

Lewis plays well, people still dislike him, respect him at least? He's played for the shirt for years and never hides. Didn't even want player of the year last year.

Very well said :agreed:

I feel very sorry for Lewis Stevenson. He's a player who gives his all every game despite the ***** he gets most of the time. He was in line for the ball played forward. Sheridan won the header and heffernan played well by getting in behind. It was a good goal.

He wasn't in the team at the start of the season because fenlons first team played well. Why would he change it? I reckon Stevenson would've came out with the same results if he were at left back.