PDA

View Full Version : NHC Football as a no contact sport

thebakerboy
22-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Watching West Ham Everton game and Everton goal chalked off - no idea why- Carlton Cole straight Red for high foot on Baines. Foot was high but eye on ball and Baines ran in to him and got straight up and went to shake his hand after red card shown. Earlier Wilkshire of Arsenal yellow card for fabulous sliding tackle where he took the ball absolutely clean before contact with player. What is happening to this game we all love.

thebakerboy
22-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Now Darren gibson sent off for not very much c'mon referee lets have a game.

hfc rd
22-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Totally agree with the OP. Football is starting to turn into basketball. You can't do this and you can't do that. But yeah, both Cole & Wilshere were wrongly red & yellow carded.

wookie70
22-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Probably as much contact in basketball as there is in football, certainly away from the ball. It is the punishment for the infringement that seems to be an issue in a lot of cases. I saw the Everton v Hammers red cards and they were very harsh. Both were high feet and potentially dangerous so a definate foul imo at least. The five foul or similar rule in basketball might be worth considering in football when you see the quality of single incedent decisions and the amount of play acting from the players

Hibernia&Alba
22-12-2012, 11:39 PM
I fully agree with the OP. We're heading towards a game where tackling is removed, which would be criminal IMHO. Players are encouraged to exaggerate fouls by the rules, and I have to say crowds don't help when they scream for every bit of contact like it's attempted murder. The theatrics have really turned me off in recent years. Bring back the tackle.

Greentinted
23-12-2012, 12:04 AM
I mind a mate of mine who referees minor level football telling me after he had been mercilessly harangued by one of the army of over-zealous parents on the sidelines that he simply pointed out to his abuser that Association Football is, in accordance with its laws, not a 'contact sport' in the classic sense (combat sports, Ozzie Rules, Rugby, Ice Hockey, etc), albeit one where a certain amount of contact is inevitable. I think it comes under the banner of a 'limited contact sport' which would also include Basketball.

Limited Contact Sport (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Limited+Contact+Sport)

There's nothing in the laws of football that states that contact is ok as 'long as the ball is won' for example. Kinda like the widely held erroneous belief that there is a 'last man' law and an edict that covers 'intent' (refs aren't mind readers apparently).

I daresay the resident qualified refs on here will be able to enlighten us further though.

Hibernia&Alba
23-12-2012, 12:09 AM
I mind a mate of mine who referees minor level football telling me after he had been mercilessly harangued by one of the army of over-zealous parents on the sidelines that he simply pointed out to his abuser that Association Football is, in accordance with its laws, not a 'contact sport' in the classic sense (combat sports, Ozzie Rules, Rugby, Ice Hockey, etc), albeit one where a certain amount of contact is inevitable. I think it comes under the banner of a 'limited contact sport' which would also include Basketball.

Limited Contact Sport (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Limited+Contact+Sport)

There's nothing in the laws of football that states that contact is ok as 'long as the ball is won' for example. Kinda like the widely held erroneous belief that there is a 'last man' law and an edict that covers 'intent' (refs aren't mind readers apparently).

I daresay the resident qualified refs on here will be able to enlighten us further though.

What about the shoulder charge? In basketball any physical contact with an opponent is a foul, unlike football, though that's where the game is heading. 'Foot up' a foul? There is nowhere for the game to go, of course you have to lift your foot up to tackle or block the ball.

Greentinted
23-12-2012, 12:21 AM
What about the shoulder charge? In basketball any physical contact with an opponent is a foul, unlike football, though that's where the game is heading. 'Foot up' a foul? There is nowhere for the game to go, of course you have to lift your foot up to tackle or block the ball.

That was my response. The laws are extremely vague now, having been heavily edited in the late 90s. Had a wee google rummage and there is nothing conclusive re shoulder charging other than a 'nudge with the shoulder' is within the laws as long as the arms (of the charger) are kept at the side of the body.

neilmartinrocks
23-12-2012, 02:07 AM

It would seem the rules get worse in relation to players wages and tranfer values. another way that money would appear to be ruining the game?

R'Albin
23-12-2012, 02:12 AM
I actually thought the red was fair enough. You get a sending off for a two footed challenge off the ground even if there is no malicious intent, so I don't see what the difference is with a boot that high. Just as reckless and potentially more dangerous than a bad tackle you'd get sent off for.

Not expecting many to agree with me here tbh.

easty
23-12-2012, 03:09 AM
I actually thought the red was fair enough. You get a sending off for a two footed challenge off the ground even if there is no malicious intent, so I don't see what the difference is with a boot that high. Just as reckless and potentially more dangerous than a bad tackle you'd get sent off for.

I think you're right about the last bit..:wink:

It was a very poor decision to send off Cole, when Gibson did more or less the same thing it was pretty obvious the ref would even up the numbers. Another wee difference between the two incidents was the reaction of the players fouled. Baines got straight back up and went to get on with things, Noble lay in 'agony', as if he'd just been battered Nae need.

heretoday
23-12-2012, 01:34 PM

I completely agree with you. I thought both challenges deserved red cards especially Gibson's as there was some anger in it too.

If that was against Hibs we'd be baying for red cards for those kind of challenges!

Who'd be a ref these days? They now rank alongside lawyers, estate agents, press hacks and Radio One DJs in the public estimation!