PDA

View Full Version : The Mound 1974

hibsbollah
21-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I was talking to one of the council gardeners today who swears that after the 0-7 win in '73, the following autumn a hibs supporting foreman planted the crocuses to make a giant '0-7' on the mound, which was visible the following spring :hilarious

Can anyone confirm if this is true and whether anyone saw this wonderful sight? I'm really hoping its not an urban myth...

Hibernia Na Eir
22-12-2012, 09:16 AM
tremendous if true :)

Aubenas
22-12-2012, 09:26 AM
I heard it was HIBS in daffodils.

brog
22-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I was talking to one of the council gardeners today who swears that after the 0-7 win in '73, the following autumn a hibs supporting foreman planted the crocuses to make a giant '0-7' on the mound, which was visible the following spring :hilarious

Can anyone confirm if this is true and whether anyone saw this wonderful sight? I'm really hoping its not an urban myth...

This does ring a bell. The Hibs legend that was Wattie Robb was a council gardener at the time & I think I recall him talking about it.

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-12-2012, 10:19 AM
This does ring a bell. The Hibs legend that was Wattie Robb was a council gardener at the time & I think I recall him talking about it.

Wattie Robb...now there's a character :agree:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is true, he hated the yaks even before all this Romanov madness.

Baldy Foghorn
22-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Wattie Robb...now there's a character :agree:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is true, he hated the yaks even before all this Romanov madness.

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

Had some great European trips with Wattie, and will cherish those memories forever.....What a guy he was.....

hibsbollah
22-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Thats good enough for me..:aok:

ginger_rice
22-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Sounds too good to be true......b ut brilliant if it is!! Shirley there must be a photo gathering dust somewhere in someones attic.

Or perhaps one of our resident photoshop wizards?????

HibbyRod
22-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Not sure of this particular "planting" - However, it is definitely true that a Council gardener planted "HIBS" in daffodils up there on the Mound below The Castle in the late '80's/early 90's

The guy(s) who did it (and a couple of workmates) used to do fitness training with me (at Jackie Brown's classes in Marco's, Grove Street).

For the life of me I can't remember his name ...... but as far as I recall I think he emigrated.

Betty Boop
22-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Not sure of this particular "planting" - However, it is definitely true that a Council gardener planted "HIBS" in daffodils up there on the Mound below The Castle in the late '80's/early 90's

The guy(s) who did it (and a couple of workmates) used to do fitness training with me (at Jackie Brown's classes in Marco's, Grove Street).

For the life of me I can't remember his name ...... but as far as I recall I think he emigrated.
Was his name Charlie from St. Giles Branch ?

HibbyRod
22-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Hi BB,

Charlie doesn't seem right - I do have a feeling that his name might have been John, but really can't be sure ... sorry. :greengrin

hibsbollah
22-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi BB,

Charlie doesn't seem right - I do have a feeling that his name might have been John, but really can't be sure ... sorry. :greengrin

Tam McKirdy?

weonlywon6-2
22-12-2012, 04:46 PM

I worked in the gardens from 1990 till 1993 and after we won the League Cup in 91,I long with my brother and a couple of other gardeners planted Daffodil bulbs in the letters Skol 91 and below it 07.

This was situated almost directly below the castle in line with the Ross Bandstand as you look at it from Frederick Street.

I did not hear anything about the 07 on the Mound in my time with the council but what we did above can still be seen,just when the flowers come up in spring

Im curious,who were the gardners as there are a lot of them still there from when i was there?

:thumbsup:

weonlywon6-2
22-12-2012, 05:06 PM

I along with David N and Scott A did the planting on the Castle Hill.David went to Marcos most likely around this time,and no we havent gone abroad !!!

weonlywon6-2
22-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Charlie Young worked for the council in the gardens but i dont think as far back as 1973,had he done this im sure he would have told me as he was a huge Hibby
Charlie moved around 1992/1993 up to the Aviemore area.

hibsbollah
22-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I worked in the gardens from 1990 till 1993 and after we won the League Cup in 91,I long with my brother and a couple of other gardeners planted Daffodil bulbs in the letters Skol 91 and below it 07.

This was situated almost directly below the castle in line with the Ross Bandstand as you look at it from Frederick Street.

I did not hear anything about the 07 on the Mound in my time with the council but what we did above can still be seen,just when the flowers come up in spring

Im curious,who were the gardners as there are a lot of them still there from when i was there?

:thumbsup:

He's called Scott, has been there about 25 years so you'd probably remember him...

weonlywon6-2
22-12-2012, 05:17 PM
He's called Scott, has been there about 25 years so you'd probably remember him...

Yep, not seen him for a good while now,he assisted with the planting,albeit a Rangers fan.how bizarre this has come up 20 years later !!!

Newhaven
22-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Charlie Young worked for the council in the gardens but i dont think as far back as 1973,had he done this im sure he would have told me as he was a huge Hibby

Charlie Young - 20th leith boys brigade legend.

Billy McKirdy
22-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Tam McKirdy?

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Tam's my big brother, only one of about six Horticultural Horologists in the world on account of him being the guy who makes the floral clock :wink:

I'll have to ask him about the 7-0 episode at the family Boxing Day party :agree:

HibbyRod
23-12-2012, 11:45 AM
I along with David N and Scott A did the planting on the Castle Hill.David went to Marcos most likely around this time,and no we havent gone abroad !!!

Thanks very much for that bud. :thumbsup:

Yeh, David it was. Hope he is well, he is a good guy.

Thanks again.

weonlywon6-2
23-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks very much for that bud. :thumbsup:

Yeh, David it was. Hope he is well, he is a good guy.

Thanks again.

no problems,David is doing fine.I will tell him you were asking for him !!!

cheers

Betty Boop
24-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Cheers for that, I'm sure Charlie's nickname was Sorrow ! :greengrin

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Tam's my big brother, only one of about six Horticultural Horologists in the world on account of him being the guy who makes the floral clock :wink:

I'll have to ask him about the 7-0 episode at the family Boxing Day party :agree:

I know Tam, good union man ! :wink: