PDA

View Full Version : Two games in February moved

Part/Time Supporter
21-12-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=11952

St. Johnstone home game moved to Monday night (11th Feb)

Dundee United away moved to Sunday afternoon (24th Feb)

MB62
21-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Unbelievable.

Just read an article in today's EEN that the club have made this game on the 9th as HIBS LADIES DAY.

Shot in the foot with both barrels

Just_Jimmy
21-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Fans ****** about as usual. I'm binning my season ticket after this year because I'm sick fed up of ridiculous fixtures or last minute changes.

If the TV cash matters more then I'll support hibs by sitting in the house watching on my sky sports subscription that I pay for anyway.

Saorsa
21-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Unbelievable.

Just read an article in today's EEN that the club have made this game on the 9th as HIBS LADIES DAY.

Shot in the foot with both barrelsOh dear, TV strikes again.

Judas Iscariot
21-12-2012, 12:17 PM
That is pathetic like

Geo_1875
21-12-2012, 12:18 PM
SPL website is still showing the game as Saturday 9/5 in fixtures but Monday 11/5 under TV matches.

Hibs better get this sorted or there will be a lot of refunds to process.

CB_NO3
21-12-2012, 12:37 PM
No wonder folk wont buy half season tickets. Miss one game and your out of pocket.

My_Wife_Camille
21-12-2012, 12:48 PM
By contrast (for those people saying that the fans will suffer) I'm delighted about these moves. As someone who normally works Saturday nights this means that I'll be able to make the Dundee Utd games and also be able to have a couple of pints before and after the St Johnstone games :flag:

It's a shame for people that are actually affected by the changes but for every person who can't make it there will be someone who can. Most fans will be able to make both dates anyway.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Fans ****** about as usual. I'm binning my season ticket after this year because I'm sick fed up of ridiculous fixtures or last minute changes.

If the TV cash matters more then I'll support hibs by sitting in the house watching on my sky sports subscription that I pay for anyway.

No wonder folk wont buy half season tickets. Miss one game and your out of pocket.

:agree:

Moulin Yarns
21-12-2012, 12:50 PM

You are having a laugh. Tannadice game kicks off at 4;30.

Danderhall Hibs
21-12-2012, 12:54 PM

How much is the tv deal actually worth to us as a club? Might be better off by opting out?

hibby rae
21-12-2012, 12:55 PM

I've already had to miss 3 games this season because I couldn't get my shift changed. It's not the switching that annoys me so much but the fact that they leave it so late to announce. Surely it's not that difficult to decide at the start of the season.

Danderhall Hibs
21-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I've already had to miss 3 games this season because I couldn't get my shift changed. It's not the switching that annoys me so much but the fact that they leave it so late to announce. Surely it's not that difficult to decide at the start of the season.

They could pick at the start of the season but they could end up with countless meaningless matches - take this season, hearts v dundee united might've looked appealing but in reality it's just a button 6 match,

millarco
21-12-2012, 01:06 PM
2 Saturday matches in the first two months of the year. Admittedly we've got the winter break in January, but that's still pretty poor. Going to football matches used to be a habit, but when the fixtures are all over the place people quickly get out of that habit.

hibby rae
21-12-2012, 01:11 PM
They could pick at the start of the season but they could end up with countless meaningless matches - take this season, hearts v dundee united might've looked appealing but in reality it's just a button 6 match,

True, but I think every team should get the same amount of tv games and cash as a result. A result of that would be showing some meaningless games unfortunately.

hibby rae
21-12-2012, 01:24 PM

True, but I think every team should get the same amount of tv games and cash as a result. A result of that would be showing some meaningless games unfortunately.

Saorsa
21-12-2012, 01:25 PM

True, but I think every team should get the same amount of tv games and cash as a result. A result of that would be showing some meaningless games unfortunately.you're quite sure about that aren't you? :greengrin

.Sean.
21-12-2012, 01:30 PM
**** the erseholes at the SPL, **** the ****ty tele deal, **** ESPN and **** SKY. They **** us about so **** them. I'm genuinely cancelling my subscription.

yeezus.
21-12-2012, 01:31 PM
So annoying!!

hibby rae
21-12-2012, 01:38 PM
you're quite sure about that aren't you? :greengrin

Bloody smart phones!

Lucius Apuleius
21-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Cannae have it every way. He who pays the piper calls the tune and all that good stuff.

Judas Iscariot
21-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Cannae have it every way. He who pays the piper calls the tune and all that good stuff.

In any other circumstance yes maybe, but to market a "Ladies Day" then move the game to a Monday night is just proper amateur stuff

hibee_girl
21-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Monday night move suits me, just need to find somewhere in EuroDisney that'll show it! :greengrin

Chibs
21-12-2012, 02:17 PM

I think I can scrape up 6 buttons does this mean I could own hearts

Saorsa
21-12-2012, 03:08 PM
In any other circumstance yes maybe, but to market a "Ladies Day" then move the game to a Monday night is just proper amateur stuffDinnae think the club moved it. It is ludicrous though that TV companies can move games when clubs have events organised for those dates. There must surely have been another game they could have picked.

Danderhall Hibs
21-12-2012, 03:29 PM

No the price is 7 buttons. Obviously.

Danderhall Hibs
21-12-2012, 03:31 PM

No the price is 7 buttons. Obviously.

Predictive words/fat fingers caused the spelling mistake.

HH81
21-12-2012, 03:48 PM
The Monday night game is ok for me, i couldnt get up anyway and i have just booked 6-8 off work so i can watch the full game :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Mondays are no good to me, the train leaves to come back about 9pm. As others have said, the season tickets for some are becoming worth less and less. :boo hoo:

JohnStephens91
21-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Switching of dates doesn't affect me as my rota is done on a weekly basis so I usually get the Hibs games off, it's probably better that the games have moved as it means I can work Saturday night before the Dundee United game. I can see how it affects people though, but at least this time we are getting about 6 weeks notice rather than 6 days!

Baldy Foghorn
21-12-2012, 04:08 PM
End of Jan we are at Aberdeen on a Sunday then Ross County on a Wednesday.....

Now in Feb, we have home match against St Johnstone on a Monday night, now a Sunday match in Dundee at 16.30.......

Does the powers that be actually think these changes will increase crowd numbers?????? Unfortunately it only suits the armchair fans:devil:

LancashireHibby
21-12-2012, 05:41 PM
The St Johnstone switch suits me, gives me an excuse for a couple of days off work and a stopover in the capital. Admittedly that's pretty selfish from a personal point of view and I just hope the TV money makes up for the inevitable drop in gate receipts.

Purple & Green
21-12-2012, 06:08 PM
So how many Celtic home games are moved in this announcement of live games ? I'm guessing zero, despite them being the biggest draw

stoneyburn hibs
21-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Monday night fitba is p1sh

3pm
21-12-2012, 06:32 PM
This is why Hibs voted against ESPN.

Hibstrooper
21-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Fact of the matter is though, loads of folk spouting out that they are annoyed at the game getting moved but what was our last attendance for a Saturday home game?

I bet the Monday night home game won't be too far off it and that's why clubs will continue to bend to TV. The day we can start backing up the idle threats with hard facts is the day the clubs will sit up and listen

jgl07
21-12-2012, 09:48 PM
I really don't know what people expect.

There is a clamour to sign Leigh Griffiths as there was to sign James McPake.

Junking the TV deal because a few people get inconvenienced (and a few less get convenienced) would be a very dumb idea. This whole thing has been going on for years since the days of the first Sky deal so why the synthetic outrage now?

I recall the days when there was no TV deal and cheap admission and standing. And all matches were at 3:00 pm on Saturday or 7:45 pm on Tuesday. It was back in 1993-4. Then Hibs would get around 4,000 for a visit of someone like St Johnstone. Gates of 10,000+ were unknown except when Hearts or the OF were visiting. A typical match would pull in 7,000 or so.

Rant on if you must but don't be surprised if no-one takes any notice.

hibee_girl
21-12-2012, 09:58 PM

Junking the TV deal because a few people get inconvenienced (and a few less get convenienced) would be a very dumb idea. This whole thing has been going on for years since the days of the first Sky deal so why the synthetic outrage now?

I recall the days when there was no TV deal and cheap admission and standing. And all matches were at 3:00 pm on Saturday or 7:45 pm on Tuesday. It was back in 1993-4. Then Hibs would get around 4,000 for a visit of someone like St Johnstone. Gates of 10,000+ were unknown except when Hearts or the OF were visiting. A typical match would pull in 7,000 or so.

:agree:

We also knew that with no Rangers in the SPL there would be a good chance we'd be on TV more

Just_Jimmy
21-12-2012, 10:14 PM

That'll be the same leigh griffiths that rod keeps asking us to buy season tickets etc to afford?

"Season ticket holders are the life blood of the club". - aye ok then. When it suits the club we are.

Back the club with £400 upfront but dont you dare complain.

english_hibee
21-12-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the club doesn't decide which games to televise, and doesn't have any control over fixture and date changes. Didn't Petrie oppose the ESPN deal on the basis that the fans were messed around with too many differing kick off times last season, but was over ruled by the other clubs who backed the deal? I apologise if I'm wrong on that, but I'm sure I heard that a while back......

irritating? yes
clubs fault? no

hungryhibs
21-12-2012, 10:38 PM
By contrast (for those people saying that the fans will suffer) I'm delighted about these moves. As someone who normally works Saturday nights this means that I'll be able to make the Dundee Utd games and also be able to have a couple of pints before and after the St Johnstone games :flag:

It's a shame for people that are actually affected by the changes but for every person who can't make it there will be someone who can. Most fans will be able to make both dates anyway.

Am also delighted as it my birthday so the drinks will be flowing only 3 points will do though

Geo_1875
21-12-2012, 10:59 PM

Do you not think it strange that on the day that the Edinburgh Evening News prints an article advertising Hibs v St Johnstone Ladies Day event for Saturday 9th February the SPL announce that the game will be moved to Monday 11th February and shown live on TV?

Hibs have been advertising this day and selling tickets for some time now and will need to offer refunds to all who have purchased one. This will cause some ill-feeling among disappointed fans and no doubt cost the club both money and goodwill.

I've a sneaking suspicion that both SPL and ESPN could have made a different decision that didn't disadvantage Hibs or their fans but maybe there is an agenda involved.

monktonharp
22-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Do you not think it strange that on the day that the Edinburgh Evening News prints an article advertising Hibs v St Johnstone Ladies Day event for Saturday 9th February the SPL announce that the game will be moved to Monday 11th February and shown live on TV?

Hibs have been advertising this day and selling tickets for some time now and will need to offer refunds to all who have purchased one. This will cause some ill-feeling among disappointed fans and no doubt cost the club both money and goodwill.

I've a sneaking suspicion that both SPL and ESPN could have made a different decision that didn't disadvantage Hibs or their fans but maybe there is an agenda involved.I never looked at it that way,for a moment, but you may have something there. I just thought, aw well, lets call it ladies night.I have not thought much about the "ladies day" thing, and never even heard about it. as for the Sunday game, my immediate thought was, well we might actually get enough numbers to run a bus. I realise it is a Sunday, but it is at a time where we can at least get a few beers. all depending on our performances leading up to those dates though I suppose and if we are still in the draw for the cup,who knows:wink:

DavieRoy
22-12-2012, 11:31 AM
You are having a laugh. Tannadice game kicks off at 4;30.

Do people have short memories? Remember the games used to kick off at 6.05pm on a Sunday between 1998-2001 (or 1999-2001 for us as we were in the first division in 1998).

Better than an early kick off in my opinion.

DavieRoy
22-12-2012, 11:42 AM
How much is the tv deal actually worth to us as a club? Might be better off by opting out?

Not if we are only getting 8,800 for a home game.

Fans keep saying bin the TV deal and we will get more through the gate, last Saturday was a Saturday 3pm kick off and we didn't, okay it is December but if you have no TV then you don't have that guarenteed income and you rely on fans turning up every week. We are being told we are struggling to keep Griffiths etc and some people want to take more guarenteed income out of the club by having no TV deal.

Kick off times are frustrating, don't forget the police have a say too and overrule TV companies on their prefereed times. The SPL have had a TV deal since it started in 1998, fans should know that games will be moved, frustrating yes but a fact. This season is a bit different as with no Rangers means different games are on TV than the normal.

Hibernian v Celtic at Easter Road is not live on TV, the first time since September 1999 (this was the first meeting in the SPL) that this fixture at Easter Road will kick off at Saturday 3pm, the club have given away free tickets with season ticket deal, given all that there should be no excuse for the stadium not to be full then?

Danderhall Hibs
22-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Do people have short memories? Remember the games used to kick off at 6.05pm on a Sunday between 1998-2001 (or 1999-2001 for us as we were in the first division in 1998).

Better than an early kick off in my opinion.

The problem I have is the KO times are all over the shop, never any consistency for Scottish football. If it's the EPL you know it's either 130 or 4 on the Sunday, with us it could be anytime between 12, 1215, 1230, 1245,, 1, 115, 130, 2, 3, 330, 4 or 430. Sky have us kicking off at any of these times - we're 2nd class citizens to them almost an inconvenience .

DavieRoy
22-12-2012, 11:47 AM
The problem I have is the KO times are all over the shop, never any consistency for Scottish football. If it's the EPL you know it's either 130 or 4 on the Sunday, with us it could be anytime between 12, 1215, 1230, 1245,, 1, 115, 130, 2, 3, 330, 4 or 430. Sky have us kicking off at any of these times - we're 2nd class citizens to them almost an inconvenience .

Back then you did have set times, first 6.05pm and then Saturday 5.35pm (my favourite), a couple of things, there are more games live than there was then, the police take scheduling on a game by game basis too and both Sky and ESPN have other games on.

Gatecrasher
22-12-2012, 11:49 AM
there is no argument against the TV deal when our crowds are pish, it means we are more reliant on the TV deal.

Danderhall Hibs
22-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I liked the Saturday 535 as well but we never get that because Sky have Championship matches on. How come the EPL games KO at the same time every week but ours are punted all over the place?

DavieRoy
22-12-2012, 12:07 PM
I liked the Saturday 535 as well but we never get that because Sky have Championship matches on. How come the EPL games KO at the same time every week but ours are punted all over the place?

We don't get Saturday 5.35pm because the police won't allow it on a Saturday, but they keep telling us we can't have this or that but we can when it suits them. They used to do it between 1998-2002.

Maybe things will change when the police forces merge into one force and overtime and resources are less of an excuse amougst forces.

3pm
22-12-2012, 12:09 PM

An absolute guess but I reckon it's easier to sell to foreign stations with fixed times.

DavieRoy
22-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Friday nights are worth exploring. Our problem is at the minute, the police will not allow our home games on a Friday so it would be away games.

When I say Friday, I mean either on TV or not. If they are on TV, they are put in at the start of the season in light nights when people know when they are.

Last night St. Mirren's crowd was up on the previous week which was a Saturday 3pm. I think it helped so people could go Christmas shopping on the Saturday. Motherwell brought more than double the crowd they brought to Easter Road too. Pricing was also an issue. We need to get more away fans into the ground too.

DavieRoy
22-12-2012, 12:15 PM
An absolute guess but I reckon it's easier to sell to foreign stations with fixed times.

Not really as some are broadcast on delayed transmission.

Foreign rights are not worth much to the SPL especially without the Old Firm game. Usually the BBC Alba delayed game is broadcast abroad live with English commentary which is put in from a studio in London or Dublin. Sky and ESPN games usually go out live abroad.

Billy Whizz
22-12-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't know why we moan about these changes as they happen in every league in every European country. In Spain they change games with 2 weeks notice, and they play la liga matches on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Mondays every week!
Very frustrating for people with season tickets, but we know that a number of fixtures are likely to change every season.