PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way for Hibs to maximise the gate revenue from away fans at Easter Road?

Hibbyradge
19-12-2012, 08:42 PM
I haven't thought this through or developed it properly yet and my tin hat firmly is in place, but I think the issue merits some discussion.

I remember in the early 70's, we regularly had crowds in excess of 35000 when the OF in particular came to Easter Road. In fact, I'm sure I was in at least one 49000 crowd against Rangers too.

(Unfortunately, we also had crap crowds against teams lower in the league, and also when games became meaningless toward the end of the season.)

Trouble is, the vast majority of these crowds were made up of the great unwashed. Unless my memory is playing tricks, we used to give them the south end of the main stand too.

However, although it wasn't pleasant having so many of them in Edinburgh, our coffers appreciated it greatly.

I was thinking that with the Celtc game not live on TV, demand for tickets in their end will massively exceed supply, but sadly, that won't apply to our areas.

Inevitably, there will be Celtc supporters who use deceit to get tickets in our areas and it seems such a missed opportunity, not to have a way to tap into that resource legitimately.

Is there a way we could do that in future seasons?

What about a shared (and properly policed) family section? Or even offering the South end of the West Stand to Category B season ticket holders only and selling those seats to the away fans in Cat A games?

I don't have an ideal solution, but if we want to maintain the current level of skill sometimes on show at Easter Road, never mind improve it, we need more revenue.

I know the ideas of increasing the away support is unlikely to be welcomed with open arms, but if Hibs supporters refuse to go to games, some tough choices need to be taken.

Frankly, I'd rather put up with a few more smellies a few times a year, than put up with watching the likes of Alan O'Brien, Kujabi and Kevin McBride every week.

HFC 0-7
19-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I think the problem is that the only segregation we have within a stand is in the east and that would mean moving a lot of the ST holders as there seems to be a lot at the south end of the stand. Because we could only do this for the smellies and farts the police would have a problem with both sets of fans exiting so close to each other. A shared family section may be a good idea on paper but I bet there are a lot of nutters that would cause problems regardless is their own kids or other kids were present. My preference would be to install smaller seats and pack them in!! Either that or introduce standing areas that can hold more people.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2012, 08:56 PM
I think the problem is that the only segregation we have within a stand is in the east and that would mean moving a lot of the ST holders as there seems to be a lot at the south end of the stand. Because we could only do this for the smellies and farts the police would have a problem with both sets of fans exiting so close to each other. A shared family section may be a good idea on paper but I bet there are a lot of nutters that would cause problems regardless is their own kids or other kids were present. My preference would be to install smaller seats and pack them in!! Either that or introduce standing areas that can hold more people.

We can split the east too apparently, although i cant see it these days, i dont think the demand is there now?

HiBremian
19-12-2012, 08:59 PM

Widnae work, mate.

Big_Franck
19-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I haven't thought this through or developed it properly yet and my tin hat firmly is in place, but I think the issue merits some discussion.

I remember in the early 70's, we regularly had crowds in excess of 35000 when the OF in particular came to Easter Road. In fact, I'm sure I was in at least one 49000 crowd against Rangers too.

(Unfortunately, we also had crap crowds against teams lower in the league, and also when games became meaningless toward the end of the season.)

Trouble is, the vast majority of these crowds were made up of the great unwashed. Unless my memory is playing tricks, we used to give them the south end of the main stand too.

However, although it wasn't pleasant having so many of them in Edinburgh, our coffers appreciated it greatly.

I was thinking that with the Celtc game not live on TV, demand for tickets in their end will massively exceed supply, but sadly, that won't apply to our areas.

Inevitably, there will be Celtc supporters who use deceit to get tickets in our areas and it seems such a missed opportunity, not to have a way to tap into that resource legitimately.

What about a shared (and properly policed) family section? Or even offering the South end of the West Stand to Category B season ticket holders only and selling those seats to the away fans in Cat A games?

I don't have an ideal solution, but if we want to maintain the current level of skill sometimes on show at Easter Road, never mind improve it, we need more revenue.

I know the ideas of increasing the away support is unlikely to be welcomed with open arms, but if Hibs supporters refuse to go to games, some tough choices need to be taken.

Frankly, I'd rather put up with a few more smellies a few times a year, than put up with watching the likes of Alan O'Brien, Kujabi and Kevin McBride every week.

Would be great if we could increase revenue but I don't think this is the way to go. Personally I wouldn't want to put up with 5 or 6 thousand rantic fans in the city for the day of the game. It's not just that there would be an increased number of them at the game, we would have to suffer an extra couple thousand manky neanderthals roaming the streets before and after the game. Not for me.

Also, the extra policing costs to segregate a current home stand could mean that the increase in revenue would be negligible anyway.

HFC 0-7
19-12-2012, 09:07 PM
We can split the east too apparently, although i cant see it these days, i dont think the demand is there now?

thats what I was saying, the east has large gates in the middle to segregate fans but that would mean moving a lot of fans that have ST's and ruining the atmosphere that the guys in there are trying to build at the moment.

Greendub
19-12-2012, 09:17 PM
We should do a Dortmund, they can fit an extra 25k into the yellow wall for league games.

Standing and the tickets are a damn sight cheaper than here

HiBremian
19-12-2012, 09:26 PM
We should do a Dortmund, they can fit an extra 25k into the yellow wall for league games.

Standing and the tickets are a damn sight cheaper than here

They're on the box here 2nite for a cup game. Massive crowd as always. Brilliant football too.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2012, 09:28 PM
They're on the box here 2nite for a cup game. Massive crowd as always. Brilliant football too.

Are they still winning, i have them in a double with Chelsea?

Greendub
19-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I try and watch them when I can, one of the few leagues shown here in Norway, atmosphere is always electric

HiBremian
19-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Are they still winning, i have them in a double with Chelsea?

yep. 5-1

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2012, 09:32 PM
yep. 5-1

Christ i wish i'd done a score double. :greengrin

yeezus.
19-12-2012, 09:36 PM
I think it was Hartlepool (or some other League 1 side) who had a really cheap season ticket offer for home fans - very cheap. It encouraged home crowds to come and spend money (which they did) and meant away fans paid something ridiculous. Wycombe in League 2 might have done the same this year.

yeezus.
19-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I try and watch them when I can, one of the few leagues shown here in Norway, atmosphere is always electric

There was 3 or 4 Norweigans in Aberdeen who supported Chelsea. Well, I say supported - they wore Chelsea gear.

Greendub
19-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Tourists lol

madabouthibs
19-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I know its a completely different set of circumstances, but one wonders if The Sevco would have so many ST holders if they priced them the same as SPL clubs?
I think the best way to bigger crowds is reduced prices, special Father/son pricing especially. More supporters will increase revenue one way or another. right now they're pissing into the wind trying to get lapsed fans back, there's no incentive.
I like to support the team through thick and thin, and I do, but right now I can't afford 2 ST's and I can only afford maybe 10 games a season for me and the lad, plus the annual kit renewal and odd away day. We're talking £40 to £50 per game, which is ridiculous. £20 to £25 a game for a father/son should be something that Hibs should look to, give the game back to the common working (skint!) man. :agree:

HiBremian
19-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Christ i wish i'd done a score double. :greengrin

Jeez, just seen the Chelsea score. See what you mean, BH :greengrin

monktonharp
19-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I know its a completely different set of circumstances, but one wonders if The Sevco would have so many ST holders if they priced them the same as SPL clubs?
I think the best way to bigger crowds is reduced prices, special Father/son pricing especially. More supporters will increase revenue one way or another. right now they're pissing into the wind trying to get lapsed fans back, there's no incentive.
I like to support the team through thick and thin, and I do, but right now I can't afford 2 ST's and I can only afford maybe 10 games a season for me and the lad, plus the annual kit renewal and odd away day. We're talking £40 to £50 per game, which is ridiculous. £20 to £25 a game for a father/son should be something that Hibs should look to, give the game back to the common working (skint!) man. :agree:didnae think many in Broxburn actually worked these days.:greengrin

HiBremian
19-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I like to support the team through thick and thin, and I do, but right now I can't afford 2 ST's and I can only afford maybe 10 games a season for me and the lad, plus the annual kit renewal and odd away day. We're talking £40 to £50 per game, which is ridiculous. £20 to £25 a game for a father/son should be something that Hibs should look to, give the game back to the common working (skint!) man. :agree:

Works here in Bremen. Average ticket price 15 euros (£12). Average crowds 40,000. Despite a crap season for Werder.

Oh, and Bremen has 11.5% unemployment :cb

Onceinawhile
19-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I think the idea of giving Celtic possibly one section of the west (top and bottom) could work, but it them opens us up to criticism from our own fans for putting the $ first instead of the home fans. This based on this board would give am extra 1000 Hibs fans an excuse not to go.

I was wondering why we don't have a bar in the south stand like behind the goals. The facilities should be there or at very least the space. Of you installed a bar you could maybe make 1 or 2 grand profit per home game. Not a massive amount at all, but every little helps.

down-the-slope
19-12-2012, 10:15 PM

:rolleyes: thats what it is already if you get Family ST in FF lower...can't believe how often this gets stated and yet seems missed / ignored

patlowe
19-12-2012, 10:17 PM

This is slightly mischievous but in bringing up O'Brien you've reminded me that having more cash in the SPL doesn't always equate to success. Was AOB himself not actually quite expensive? As in, we could bring in more smellies a few times a year but if the manager and quality of signing aren't up to scratch then we're no better off?

LaMotta
19-12-2012, 10:19 PM

I think it makes a certain amount of sense and suggested along these lines a while back, but think you may have worded it better then me :greengrin

I was accused of being on Glue amongst other things!

More Tickets to Old Firm and Hearts Fans at Easter Road? (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?207564-More-Tickets-to-Old-Firm-and-Hearts-Fans-at-Easter-Road)

Harpandcastle
19-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Works here in Bremen. Average ticket price 15 euros (£12). Average crowds 40,000. Despite a crap season for Werder.

Surely that's cheapest ticket price and not average. I've been to a good number of Frankfurt games over the last 5 years both home and away, I've found the cheap ticket Bundesliga stories to be greatly exaggerated. Each club certainly has an amount of cheap standing tickets although they don't always seem easy to get your hands on, on the other hand there are also plenty tickets priced €30 - €40 and probably above.

No argument about match day experience though, great stadiums and atmosphere, public transport inc in ticket price, decent food & drink, people allowed to smoke should they wish. A better day out for your cash in so many ways.

Sir David Gray
19-12-2012, 10:39 PM
No, thanks

There's already going to be too many Celtic fans at Easter Road on the 29th without adding to the possibility that there might be even more.

We need to concentrate on winning football matches and if we do that then we'll have enough fans of our own turning up before too long.

Apart from anything else, I would not be too happy if I was a season ticket holder in an area where it was being proposed that extra Celtic fans were going to be housed and I was going to be relocated.

Isn't one of the perks of buying a season ticket the fact that you can select your own seat at the beginning of the season in what is the best area for you?

DC_Hibs
19-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Surely that's cheapest ticket price and not average.

Indeed. Bremen's ticket prices range from EUR11-16 for standing depending on game category up to between EUR 20-60 for seats.

They have 10k standing places in a 42.5k stadium so average will be a lot higher.

The standing tickets are very hard to come by at most stadiums - even if not sold out to season tickets - so expect to pay 20-30 which is still good value as stated above. This is based on 6 seasons of going home and away in Germany.

Don't Don't Don't believe the hype.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2012, 10:56 PM
No chance, we are Hibs not some diddy team who will give up seats in the home stands to accomodate more of the great unwashed! If it comes to this I'm finished.

Ozyhibby
19-12-2012, 11:38 PM
I think it's a good idea. Having excess supply (empty seats) amd unmet demand (celtic fans with no tickets) is a level of business stupidity that only football can acheive.
Make the south end of the west for cat B season tickets only so that away fans can sit there when there is demand.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-12-2012, 11:52 PM
I don't think that the positives from this really outweigh the negatives. The East, West and North are very much home support stands and I don't think you can change that mid season. Unless it is Cup Semi or an International, I don't like the idea of fans from another team sitting in the East. Don't like it at all. I would expect fans that sit in the North and West to feel exactly the same.

cockneymike
20-12-2012, 12:49 AM
No chance, we are Hibs not some diddy team who will give up seats in the home stands to accomodate more of the great unwashed! If it comes to this I'm finished.

Scouse, I assume you're at the wind up, for as Radge says, the club did this for years and years in the Old West Stand, therefore meaning by your standard that we are already a diddy team. :confused:

To the main point. Obviously we couldn't do this this season as folk have already got their seasons, as stated above the East was built to enable segregation but I don't think we'd want it there as the Section 43 mob are obviously building something very positive which would really come into its own during the Cat A games. Meaning that we could only do it in the West, which would probably require some structural work and with the way the policing is done of the South stand I'm not sure they'd allow it.

To the question of whether we should, I don't think so for 2 reasons.

If you look at the Mowbray years, our average attendances grew gradually despite playing good football, and our highest average attendances in recent years were the year after the LC win under Collins, as everyone bought an ST, cause we thought we were about to go from strength to strength - that didn't happen and attendances have fallen since. I reckon if PF is given time our squad, and therefore results, will gradually improve and we'll see attendances gradually rise too - expect a pick up in the average in 2nd half of this season too, with 3 Cat A games (if the Yams make top 6).

Also the other problem is that after this season, its possible there will only be 2 cat A a season for a couple of years if the Yams go bust/ get relegated and the Huns take another 2 years to get back to the SPL, all of the work required will be wasted if just for just 2 games a year.

Pete
20-12-2012, 03:06 AM
I remember both Hibs and Hearts giving over almost half the main stand to away supporters during the eighties. You could fit 5000 in the away ends at both grounds but there was a requirement for covered seating to be given over to a certain amount of fans. The enclosures would sometimes contain home supporters while the away were seated above.

We continued this on for a few years even after the redevelopment of the away end. Probably contributed to the ****bags derby record.

linlithgowhibbie
20-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Why not forget the smhellies, enough come already.

Think out the box.

Dundee, Killie, M'well, St J, Dundee utd, ICT, Ross Co. maybe average 500 fans to ER, how can we make more come ? Its down a lot to cost.
So how do we make it a cheaper day out for them?
Offer these clubs free buses direct to ER, Double decker with 80 from Dundee/Killie/M'well possibly costing Hibs £600 quid each bus, 80 fans paying average entrance of £15 =£1200. mulltiply by say 20 = 20x80=1600x £15 =£24,000 gate money minus 20 x £600 = £12000. Stipulate busses to arrive at 2pm, Drop them at the ground and as Antwerp says have bars in the South concourse. Only needs to be portable bars selling bottles(for speed) profits for us all round!!!!

Stewards are already in the ground at this time. Maybes these clubs would repay the offer and give us travel to their grounds too, win win for the travelling fans.
Worth athought?:pfgwa

Keith_M
20-12-2012, 06:27 PM

..........and an urban area of 2.4 million, only one football team and a side ever present in the Bundesliga.

One more thing, the tickets are priced at 11-16 Euros for the terrace and the seated areas are, when averaged out, somewhere in the region of 30-40 Euros.

Ringothedog
20-12-2012, 06:31 PM
..........and an urban area of 2.4 million, only one football team and a side ever present in the Bundesliga.

and your point is ? :stirrer::greengrin

Hibbyradge
20-12-2012, 06:40 PM

Think out the box.

Dundee, Killie, M'well, St J, Dundee utd, ICT, Ross Co. maybe average 500 fans to ER, how can we make more come ? Its down a lot to cost.
Offer these clubs free buses direct to ER, Double decker with 80 from Dundee/Killie/M'well possibly costing Hibs £600 quid each bus, 80 fans paying average entrance of £15 =£1200. mulltiply by say 20 = 20x80=1600x £15 =£24,000 gate money minus 20 x £600 = £12000. Stipulate busses to arrive at 2pm, Drop them at the ground and as Antwerp says have bars in the South concourse. Only needs to be portable bars selling bottles(for speed) profits for us all round!!!!

Stewards are already in the ground at this time. Maybes these clubs would repay the offer and give us travel to their grounds too, win win for the travelling fans.

I agree, we do need to be creative and any increase in income is to be welcomed, but I doubt the board would have the appetite for a speculate to accumulate scheme like that.

Your calculation works out a net profit to Hibs of only £7.50 average per away fan.

Plus, from that profit total, you would have to deduct the revenue which would have been expected without subsidised buses.

Also, I don't think Hibs are allowed to sell alcohol on the concourses so there would be an infrastructure cost if we had to build self contained bars. :dunno:

JohnStephens91
20-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Why not do something for the Cat B matches, ie Dundee United where if they keep their ticket stub from the previous time they can get £5 off the next time they come to Easter Road providing it is in the same season. Big black marker pen a cross on the ticket to make sure it is not re-used, the fan saves money and the club might end up increasing people coming to matches?

lord bunberry
20-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Think out the box.

Did aberdeen not do this for their own fans in the 80s and imsure it was full of women heading to edinburgh and glasgow to do a bit of shopping

Jones28
20-12-2012, 07:05 PM
I think I could deal with a thousand or so extra Celtic fan(nies) if it helped us to sign Leigh griffiths :agree:

I think some people need to be a wee bit more realistic. 1000-1500 extra seats will make more cash for Hibs, that is the be all and end all.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2012, 07:07 PM
The East, West and North are very much home support stands and I don't think you can change that mid season.

:wink:

Hibbyradge
20-12-2012, 07:09 PM
No, thanks

There's already going to be too many Celtic fans at Easter Road on the 29th without adding to the possibility that there might be even more.

We need to concentrate on winning football matches and if we do that then we'll have enough fans of our own turning up before too long.

Apart from anything else, I would not be too happy if I was a season ticket holder in an area where it was being proposed that extra Celtic fans were going to be housed and I was going to be relocated.

Isn't one of the perks of buying a season ticket the fact that you can select your own seat at the beginning of the season in what is the best area for you?

My suggestion was to allocate an area for Category B season tickets. e.g The South end of the Main Stand.

By definition, those seats wouldn't be automatically occupied for Cat A games so could easily be sold to whomever we wanted.

linlithgowhibbie
20-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Did aberdeen not do this for their own fans in the 80s and imsure it was full of women heading to edinburgh and glasgow to do a bit of shopping.

THats why I suggested buses straight to the ground!

Only a thought but all clubs need to start thinking out the norm!

Tynie01011973
20-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Can't see how this would work - as ST Holders have already been given a free extra ticket for the Celtic game so IF there is a big take up by the ST's then there would not be that many seats in the Home end that could be given to Visitor supporters

:greengrin

Liberal Hibby
20-12-2012, 08:18 PM
I was wondering why we don't have a bar in the south stand like behind the goals. The facilities should be there or at very least the space. Of you installed a bar you could maybe make 1 or 2 grand profit per home game. Not a massive amount at all, but every little helps.

Brighton have the right idea - perhaps because their stadium is out of town they encourage fans to stay after the game - including away fans. They light the away concourse in the colours of the away fans and serve them their local beers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19977215

Would have thought we could do more to get the away fans to spend more while at ER, rather than give more of ER over to away fans.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2012, 12:41 AM
My suggestion was to allocate an area for Category B season tickets. e.g The South end of the Main Stand.

By definition, those seats wouldn't be automatically occupied for Cat A games so could easily be sold to whomever we wanted.

I get that idea but I still don't agree with it.

I used to hate watching Celtic playing at grounds like Rugby Park and them having two full stands at both ends of the stadium. I wouldn't like to think that we would ever be like that.

I want less Celtic and Hearts (and Sevco when they're back in the SPL) fans at Easter Road, not more.