PDA

View Full Version : McGivern

FromTheCapital
17-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Now, just to clarify this is not a thread having a go at McGivern by any means...

I feel that McGivern, for me is a centre back as his best performances this season have all came when he has been playing in the middle. And, on Saturday he was too far forward on the left and wasn't defending when we needed him to and Humphrey was driving at him all day and was more times than not getting past McGivern. Now, I believe McGivern has been one of our better players this season but I think that because he is a big, strong lad that he can deal with strikers and wins alot of headers well but he just couldn't handle Humphrey. Not having a go at him at all, I just think that he's a centre back.

SMAXXA
17-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Now, just to clarify this is not a thread having a go at McGivern by any means...

I feel that McGivern, for me is a centre back as his best performances this season have all came when he has been playing in the middle. And, on Saturday he was too far forward on the left and wasn't defending when we needed him to and Humphrey was driving at him all day and was more times than not getting past McGivern. Now, I believe McGivern has been one of our better players this season but I think that because he is a big, strong lad that he can deal with strikers and wins alot of headers well but he just couldn't handle Humphrey. Not having a go at him at all, I just think that he's a centre back.

Thing is who would play at left back, as humpreys probs would have gave them a roasting even more so than he did McGivern.

HFC 0-7
17-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Maybe it was Fenlon that told him to go forward more, recently we have had nothing on the wings going forward and maybe Fenlon tried to address this. He was probably caught too far forward because we didn't seem to have the ability to hold onto the ball. Fenlon also seemed to be shouting for us to get up the pitch, perhaps we were not doing this as a unit causing some players to be caught up field. I think McGovern could, if given the ball in the right positions give us a good attacking option.

Golden Bear
17-12-2012, 07:39 PM
The guy was the best left back since sliced bread when he first played for us but now on the back of one indifferent game against a dangerous opponent his ability has been brought into question. Who would really want to be a Hibs player?!

#FromTheCapital
17-12-2012, 07:46 PM
The guy was the best left back since sliced bread when he first played for us but now on the back of one indifferent game against a dangerous opponent his ability has been brought into question. Who would really want to be a Hibs player?!

Spot on

jiggerman
17-12-2012, 07:47 PM
personally, i would partner mcgivern and mcpake at CB. we have been too soft in the middle this season. Hanlon could play LB as cover until we recruit in that area. Stevenson was fine there too. that said, maybury needs replaced by clancy asap and the team need to defend from the front better.

matty_f
17-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I think McGivern is about the best player at the club currently.

cocopops1875
17-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I think he is a better left back than center half, we wanted to believe he was a center half but the truth is Nish took him apart up there and though he had a great game against hearts in my opinion he was a warrior in that game it wasnt down to pure natural class as a center half. He offers plenty going forward from left back and is a tall laddie to hit with a longer ball from the keeper, he can play a killer pass also and has a great touch and vision. The real question is was McPake fit enough to play ?

Craig_in_Prague
17-12-2012, 07:52 PM
personally, i would partner mcgivern and mcpake at CB. we have been too soft in the middle this season. Hanlon could play LB as cover until we recruit in that area. Stevenson was fine there too. that said, maybury needs replaced by clancy asap and the team need to defend from the front better.

Agreed.
Clancy, McPake, McGivern, Hanlon would be splendid.

Russell The Dug
17-12-2012, 07:59 PM

There's no "about" about it he's by the best player at the club and will play at the highest level. Poor game Saturday mind.

Greendub
17-12-2012, 07:59 PM
He handled humphreys well at the away game, bar the goal that maybe wasnt over the line

Broken Gnome
17-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Agreed.
Clancy, McPake, McGivern, Hanlon would be splendid.

McGivern as a left back is infinitely better than Hanlon. He's still better as a centre half but the two are far more closely matched there.

We were fine as Clancy /McPake/Hanlon/McGivern. We will be again.

hibsbollah
17-12-2012, 08:02 PM

:agree:

In McGivern McPake Hanlon and Clancy...
We have as good a back four unit as we've had for at least ten years.

Iceman1875
17-12-2012, 08:21 PM
How about clancy, Mcpake, McGivern and Stevenson? Having saying that, unless we tie McGivern down, this potential back 4 might never get to happen with suspensions/injuries and lack of games!

lyonhibs
17-12-2012, 08:24 PM
How about clancy, Mcpake, McGivern and Stevenson? Having saying that, unless we tie McGivern down, this potential back 4 might never get to happen with suspensions/injuries and lack of games!

And also because arbitrarily dropping Paul Hanlon, the Scotland U21 captain and player with > 100 SPL games under his belt is, errrrr, bonkers??

IMO.

J-C
17-12-2012, 08:44 PM
He handled humphreys well at the away game, bar the goal that maybe wasnt over the line

And he handled him very well in the 1st half on saturday until the midfield( Cairney ) forgot to help out the defence and do a disappearing act.

Billy Whizz
17-12-2012, 08:50 PM

That's because he had Doyle siting in front of him that night!

steviehibsleith
17-12-2012, 09:07 PM
And also because arbitrarily dropping Paul Hanlon, the Scotland U21 captain and player with > 100 SPL games under his belt is, errrrr, bonkers??

IMO.

Paul Hanlon is not the Scotland Under 21 captain.
He is also 23 in January

Paul Hanlon is only 12 days younger than Mcgivern
IMO id have the latter any day of the week

hibees 7062
17-12-2012, 09:37 PM

:agree::agree::agree:

hibbysam
17-12-2012, 09:54 PM
He is also 23 in January

Of course you would, but the arguement was dropping Paul for wee Lewis which IMO would be utter crazy! I still think Hanlon dealt with Higdon extremely well at the weekend, our weak point was not showing 'Well players onto there extremely weaker foot.

Murphy has no left foot and was outclassed by Clancy at Fir Park as Tim knew what he was all about, We showed Humphreys inside once at the weekend and he fluffed it straight at the keeper, yet when we showed them onto there strong foot they got dangerous balls into the box and caused us problems that i dont think any centre halfs could deal with!

With Clancy fit it has to be Clancy Hanlon McPake McGivern but we also need a left winger who will get back and give McGivern a hand, Cairney is an Attacking midfielder not a winger.

SMAXXA
17-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Of course you would, but the arguement was dropping Paul for wee Lewis which IMO would be utter crazy! I still think Hanlon dealt with Higdon extremely well at the weekend, our weak point was not showing 'Well players onto there extremely weaker foot.

Murphy has no left foot and was outclassed by Clancy at Fir Park as Tim knew what he was all about, We showed Humphreys inside once at the weekend and he fluffed it straight at the keeper, yet when we showed them onto there strong foot they got dangerous balls into the box and caused us problems that i dont think any centre halfs could deal with!

With Clancy fit it has to be Clancy Hanlon McPake McGivern but we also need a left winger who will get back and give McGivern a hand, Cairney is an Attacking midfielder not a winger.

Your joking aye, Higdon bullied Hanlon as does every physical striker that comes up against him. Hanlon can only dream of being in Ryans shoes IMO.

He's been the comon denominator in a consistently poor hibs defence Granted he started the season well. Our real reluctance to drop him and try JM and RM as centrebacks is bizarre at best. He seems to get overlooked and isn't in the cutting line ever when more often than not he should be.

hibbysam
18-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Your joking aye, Higdon bullied Hanlon as does every physical striker that comes up against him. Hanlon can only dream of being in Ryans shoes IMO.

He's been the comon denominator in a consistently poor hibs defence Granted he started the season well. Our real reluctance to drop him and try JM and RM as centrebacks is bizarre at best. He seems to get overlooked and isn't in the cutting line ever when more often than not he should be.

How many chances did they create through long balls to Higdon?

How many chances did they create through our wingers unable to defend and help our fullbacks out?

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-12-2012, 10:28 AM
I think we are better placed at the back to select and back four for ages. The problem for me is that our wider midfielders can't or won't help out. Not suggesting that they necessarily need to be tough tacklers but they could at least get in the way and show opposition players inside to busier parts of the pitch.

lyonhibs
18-12-2012, 11:15 AM
He is also 23 in January

And so would I, but that wasn't the swap that was being proposed in the back 4 I queried. Dropping Hanlon to fit in Lewis Stevenson would be bonkers. IMO

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-12-2012, 11:20 AM
How many chances did they create through long balls to Higdon?

How many chances did they create through our wingers unable to defend and help our fullbacks out?

Pretty sure it was McPake who couldnae handle higdon. He had a mare on Saturday

J-C
18-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Pretty sure it was McPake who couldnae handle higdon. He had a mare on Saturday

Hanlon had Higdon in his pocket 1st half, they put him onto McPake in the 2nd and got into us then.

hibbysam
18-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Hanlon had Higdon in his pocket 1st half, they put him onto McPake in the 2nd and got into us then.

Why let the truth get in the way of a good old Hanlon bash though?

J-C
18-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Why let the truth get in the way of a good old Hanlon bash though?

Erm where's the Hanlon bashing, I've just praised him for they way he handled Higdon in the 1st half, Motherwell changed things in the 2nd half by switching him to McPake.
Hey don't let the fact that reading posts right 1st might be something to do before you try to slag someone off

lyonhibs
18-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Erm where's the Hanlon bashing, I've just praised him for they way he handled Higdon in the 1st half, Motherwell changed things in the 2nd half by switching him to McPake.
Hey don't let the fact that reading posts right 1st might be something to do before you try to slag someone off

Och FFS! :greengrin

Can folk not read?? He's not saying YOU were Hanlon bashing, more that the facts you highlighted weren't being taken into account by those who were calling Hanlon "weak" etc etc

Hence the crafty use of "though"

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Wonder why McPake and Hanlon were not asked to swap positions to match up with this change???

J-C
18-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Och FFS! :greengrin

Can folk not read?? He's not saying YOU were Hanlon bashing, more that the facts you highlighted weren't being taken into account by those who were calling Hanlon "weak" etc etc

Hence the crafty use of "though"

Why no say that then, didn't realise that I had to decipher crafty " though's " :)

lyonhibs
18-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Why no say that then, didn't realise that I had to decipher crafty " though's " :)

Not Hibs class :bitchy:

:greengrin

Feed McGraw
18-12-2012, 07:30 PM
And so would I, but that wasn't the swap that was being proposed in the back 4 I queried. Dropping Hanlon to fit in Lewis Stevenson would be bonkers. IMO

Its not to fit in Stevenson FFS ! Its a suggestion to strengthen our central defence. In many peoples opinion Stevenson is a better option at LB than Hanlon, thats all.

ancient hibee
18-12-2012, 07:59 PM
There's some on here who have suggested Stevenson at right back.Now that WOULD be a sight to see.

Kaff
22-12-2012, 01:29 PM
There's no "about" about it he's by the best player at the club and will play at the highest level. Poor game Saturday mind.

Man City giving 18 yr old Dutchman Karim Rekik a debut at leftback today. Is he the reason McGivern was allowed on loan, good young prospect?