PDA

View Full Version : Ball retention

jon paul jones
16-12-2012, 11:26 AM
All the great teams know how to do it. The most glaring thing about Hibs over the last 3 seasons is the link between losses and percentage of ball possession.

Yesterday, we threw this game away for not doing two things.

1) 41% possession according to BBC match report. If the opposition have it, we all know they'll score if given 30 minutes in the home half. Pass the ******* ball and move into space
2) 1 Hibs corner vs 12 corners for Well. Team needs to learn to use the width at ER and take the ball into wide areas and get flicks off defenders for "shies" and corners releasing pressure on defense and frustrating the opposition

Humbug!

Sling the hoofers i say

Ozyhibby
16-12-2012, 12:01 PM
We have not been good at retaining the ball since we lost Brown, Thomson and Stewart in the midfield. I doubt we have had more than 50% ppssesion more than a couple of times this year despite not exactly being up agaimst Barca every week.

Hibbyradge
16-12-2012, 12:04 PM
I'd like to see those stats broken down between the first and second halves.

We were woeful after the break.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-12-2012, 12:11 PM
We have got the look of a team that is set up to play posession football. Not hugely physical in midfield or upfront. Some players with a bit of pace and some decent passers. But to try and play hoofball with our players is a non starter. I think we are playing nervous football rather than launching it on purpose.

jon paul jones
16-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Interesting comments

Who exactly is comfortable on the ball? i.e. doesnt treat it like a hot potato with scurvy on top

Taiwo - yes
Wotherspoon - yes (trying to stay on this subject with him)
claros - backwards/sideways pass
Cairney - yes
griffiths - yes