PDA

View Full Version : Why should I feel so angry when it was all so predictable

twiceinathens
16-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Half time yesterday and a feeling of satisfaction. some neat football. One or two decent scoring attempts. on goal. A well worked goal. Closing down the opposition pretty well, defence looking sound. Turning to my neighbour I said "Do you think an early goal in the second half would be a good thing, or would we then retreat into defence?". What a silly question. Excellent shot from Doyle and we are two up. Suddenly Motherwell realise that all they have to do is run at a defence which has decided that no challenge should even be attempted further out than 30 yards. Defence shows all the mobility of a table football machine. What was the quality of tackling? Cannot judge since we did not get close enough to make any. Quality of passing? Again cannot judge since we had so little possession. And just to cap it all the manager throws in his contribution. just to make sure we eliminate any possibility of salvaging anything from the game he removes our strikers. I am ashamed to say I left after the equaliser. It was obvious what was going to happen.
Now don't get me wrong I am not one of those who believe that a couple of wins make us world beaters, nor do I claim we are doomed because we lose a couple, but yesterday was really frustrating. Of course I'll be back, I'm too much of a dyed-in-the-wool supporter to do otherwise. Obviously we generally much improved from last year, but we do not want to go on a run of performances like yesterday.

CB_NO3
16-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Half time yesterday and a feeling of satisfaction. some neat football. One or two decent scoring attempts. on goal. A well worked goal. Closing down the opposition pretty well, defence looking sound. Turning to my neighbour I said "Do you think an early goal in the second half would be a good thing, or would we then retreat into defence?". What a silly question. Excellent shot from Doyle and we are two up. Suddenly Motherwell realise that all they have to do is run at a defence which has decided that no challenge should even be attempted further out than 30 yards. Defence shows all the mobility of a table football machine. What was the quality of tackling? Cannot judge since we did not get close enough to make any. Quality of passing? Again cannot judge since we had so little possession. And just to cap it all the manager throws in his contribution. just to make sure we eliminate any possibility of salvaging anything from the game he removes our strikers. I am ashamed to say I left after the equaliser. It was obvious what was going to happen.
Now don't get me wrong I am not one of those who believe that a couple of wins make us world beaters, nor do I claim we are doomed because we lose a couple, but yesterday was really frustrating. Of course I'll be back, I'm too much of a dyed-in-the-wool supporter to do otherwise. Obviously we generally much improved from last year, but we do not want to go on a run of performances like yesterday.
Excellent post IMO. I dont mind getting beat, we are Hibs at the end of the day but I will never accept defeat in that manner. PF has to take full credit for that defeat IMO. I didn't mind him taking Griffiths off but to be so negative and basically say to Motherwell, come and attack us was woeful. I hope this is not the start of things to come.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Think you feel angry because deep down, you still care deeply for the club. Like we all do.

midlothianhibby
16-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Don't dare say anything negative about the team on this site; otherwise, you are branded as a Yam despite the fact you've folowed your team through thick and thin for almost 40 years.

Positive posts only allowed, irrespective of what happens on the park....

Barney McGrew
16-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Don't dare say anything negative about the team on this site; otherwise, you are branded as a Yam despite the fact you've folowed your team through thick and thin for almost 40 years.

You have visited the site before haven't you?

Col2
16-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Eh? It is Hibs.net you are referring to, isn't it? Odd post.

marinello59
16-12-2012, 11:19 AM

Try reading the forum before ranting.

Keith_M
16-12-2012, 11:23 AM

I think you're just being silly now. Feel free to read through the various posts on yesterday's game and other recent matches such as ICT.

I will admit I'm the first to criticise anyone that has a knee jerk reaction to one or two defeats but that certainly isn't what the OP has done and I for one agree with him.

As for the size of the crowd yesterday, perhaps it's because a lot of people, especially with so many poor performaces, are yet to be convinced by our 'Turn Around' (I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that).

PF and the players have a LOT of work to do to convince us that thngs genuinely have turned for the better and that we haven't been watching one of our all too familiar False Dawns.

NewHibby
16-12-2012, 12:47 PM
I think you're just being silly now. Feel free to read through the various posts on yesterday's game and other recent matches such as ICT.

I will admit I'm the first to criticise anyone that has a knee jerk reaction to one or two defeats but that certainly isn't what the OP has done and I for one agree with him.

As for the size of the crowd yesterday, perhaps it's because a lot of people, especially with so many poor performaces, are yet to be convinced by our 'Turn Around' (I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that).

PF and the players have a LOT of work to do to convince us that thngs genuinely have turned for the better and that we haven't been watching one of our all too familiar False Dawns.

I think yesterday has set us back to post cup final days.

jdships
16-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I think yesterday has set us back to post cup final days.

Sadly and reluctantly I am coming round to that pont of view as well
We had ridden our luck and yesterday the ' wheels came off''

Not sure where we go from here :confused:

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2012, 01:09 PM

My feelings exactly.

That was a huge kick in the John Daws for everybody who was there yesterday. Hats off to those who did go though. WTF happened to a third of those so called Hibbies who were at the derby ?

After the game PF came out with the "I cant be too harsh on the players considering how well they have done up to now" statement he used after the Dundee and ICT matches.

Sorry Pat but I hope that was the public statement and not what you said to the players in the dressing room. Because we cannot accept losing a match at home 2 - 3 in which we lead 2 - 0 with 30 minutes to go. Its going back to the Calderwood days. We are losing too many goals and are going back to the soft touch we have been for the 3 seasons or more prior to this one.

We have lost games to Dundee, Ross County and now Motherwell and Aberdeen at home. These are teams we are capable of beating ... our failure to do so means we are now trailing when we could have been cemented into 2nd.

Improvement required

Golden Bear
16-12-2012, 01:11 PM
My feelings exactly.

That was a huge kick in the John Daws for everybody who was there yesterday. Hats off to those who did go though. WTF happened to a third of those so called Hibbies who were at the derby ?

After the game PF came out with the "I cant be too harsh on the players considering how well they have done up to now" statement he used after the Dundee and ICT matches.

Sorry Pat but I hope that was the public statement and not what you said to the players in the dressing room. Because we cannot accept losing a match at home 2 - 3 in which we lead 2 - 0 with 30 minutes to go. Its going back to the Calderwood days. We are losing too many goals and are going back to the soft touch we have been for the 3 seasons or more prior to this one.

We have lost games to Dundee, Ross County and now Motherwell and Aberdeen at home. These are teams we are capable of beating ... our failure to do so means we are now trailing when we could have been cemented into 2nd.

Improvement required

He also said in his radio interview that he recognises changes will need to be made.

hibs4thecup1988
16-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Excellent post IMO. I dont mind getting beat, we are Hibs at the end of the day but I will never accept defeat in that manner. PF has to take full credit for that defeat IMO. I didn't mind him taking Griffiths off but to be so negative and basically say to Motherwell, come and attack us was woeful. I hope this is not the start of things to come.

100% agree :top marks

16-12-2012, 03:18 PM

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2012, 03:36 PM
My feelings exactly.

Improvement required

I cant believe anyone thinks we are good enough to have cemented 2nd place?

You also ask for improvement, we have shown improvement on last season and the one before.

We need to get back to those standards we set earlier in the season, getting our players back fit will help.

Just to be within 3 points of 2nd at this stage is improvement.

Famous5forever
16-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Paddy made a mistake in taking our 2 strikers off but he will have learned from this mistake and i dont think he will go down that road again.

basehibby
16-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Wasn't at the game (sufferin from a hoachin cold so lay off) but am somewhat disappointed to hear about what sounds like tactical blunders from PF contributing to the result. It's not the first time I've witnessed him opting to defend a slim lead - a tactic I've never been a fan of - and it sounds like taking off Griffiths AND Doyle was what shot us in the foot.

However, football management is a many stranded bow and I have been happy with most aspects of Paddy's performance over the piece so he still gets my backing. 3 dropped points - lets make up for it next week!

Kris1875
16-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Wasn't at the game (sufferin from a hoachin cold so lay off) but am somewhat disappointed to hear about what sounds like tactical blunders from PF contributing to the result. It's not the first time I've witnessed him opting to defend a slim lead - a tactic I've never been a fan of - and it sounds like taking off Griffiths AND Doyle was what shot us in the foot.

However, football management is a many stranded bow and I have been happy with most aspects of Paddy's performance over the piece so he still gets my backing. 3 dropped points - lets make up for it next week!

I don't think taking griffiths off was the problem because probably for once nothing was working for the boy , Motherwell got into our faces chased everything and won all the 2nd or even 3rd balls . Pat I feel tried to flood the midfield to get a hold of the ball but unfortunately it just didn't work . As I've said elsewhere there will be good days and bad hopefully with a few players coming in in January we can regroup and find our feet again .

weecounty hibby
17-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I would have taken griffiths off as well. He was having a shocker. The difference was when we replaced a striker with a midfielder, mccall took off a defender and pushed anothrr man up top. It was clever management from SM i think.
Plusses for me were that i thought we played well for an hour against a good well side who have been consistent performers for a few seasons now. We have been rank for at least 3 years so it is a vast improvement, even though it was a massively frustrating end to the game

The Green Goblin
17-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Deflection