PDA

View Full Version : Player ratings

hibsbollah
15-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Just home after a few drinks and still wondering what happened today. We went from being comfortable to not looking like anything resembling a professional football team. What were the subs.all about? Did we switch to 352? Why was McGivern playing wide midfielder when we should have been defending a lead?

Williams 6

McGivern 6 Good first half, exposed second half by Humphries' pace and seemed to push into midfield when we needed him at the back? Confused by what position he was playing...

Hanlon 5 No obvious major mistakes but when you concede goals like we did inside the six yard box youre doing something wrong

McPake 5 see above

Maybury 3 the weak link and other SPL managers know it. Tortured by Ojamaa second half.

Cairney 4 off form.

Claros 6

Taiwo 8 Best game by a mile in a Hibs shirt. Sorry about the previous Brian Kerr jibes Tom, you were seen today :agree:

Wotherspoon 4 Our right hand side is a mess.

Doyle 7
Griffiths 5

I cant even give marks for the subs, or for the managers performance, because I dont understand WTF was going on, what system we were playing or whether the subs were injury enforced or not. Just baffling and very very disappointing.

allezsauzee
15-12-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't think we switched to 3-5-2, i think we switched to no shape at all.
Williams 5
Maybury 7
McPake 5
Hanlon 5
McGivern 6
Wotherspoon 5
Claros 4
Taiwo 7
Cairney 5
Griffiths 4
Doyle 7

mim
15-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Assuming 5 is a pass mark :confused:

Williams 5
Maybury 5
McPake 4
Hanlon 4
McGivern 6
Wotherspoon 3
Claros 5
Taiwo 6
Cairney 4
Griffiths 4
Doyle 6

FromTheCapital
15-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Williams (6) - Nothing he could do for the goals. Didn't look troubled except for the goals.

Maybury (5) - Going to be generous. Decent 1st half. Tortured by Ojamaa in the 2nd half.
McPake (6) - Looked Rusty. Won his fair share of headers. I left before sending off.
Hanlon (6) - Same as McPake. Both shouldn't give let balls into the 6 yard box so easily.
McGivern (5) - Worst perfromance so far. Ok in the 1st half. Terrorised by Humphrey in the 2nd half.

Wotherspoon (5) - Off the boil. Didn't drive at the full back enough. Didn't deserve to be booked.
Claros (7) - Scrapped hard. Decent distribution. Put in some nice tackles. Good show.
Taiwo (8) - Superb peformance. Got stuck in. Passed well. Put in a very good shift. Well done Tom.
Cairney (5) - Like Wotherspoon. Gave the ball away too much. Not been his usual self lately.

Doyle (8) - Took both goals brilliantly. Finishing was superb. Don't understand why he was subbed?
Griffiths (5) - Very poor today from Leigh. We know he's got the talent but today he didn't turn up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was baffled by Fenlon's subs and tactics?
Cruising at 2-0 and he decides to shut up shop.
We were waiting to be beaten.
Sorry Paddy, you made a mistake today.
-----------------------------------------------------------
But, all in all... we were only defeated today because Gangnam Style wasn't played after 2nd goal. :greengrin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir David Gray
15-12-2012, 09:06 PM
I have to separate this post into two parts. Ratings for the first hour and ratings for the last half an hour as there was just such a massive difference between the two.

Ratings for the first hour;

Williams-6
Maybury-6
McPake-7
Hanlon-6
McGivern-7

Claros-7
Taiwo-7
Wotherspoon-6
Cairney-6

Doyle-8
Griffiths-6

Ratings for the last half an hour;

Williams-6

Maybury-4
McPake-4
Hanlon-4
McGivern-4

Claros-4
Taiwo-4
Wotherspoon-4
Cairney-4

Doyle-2
Griffiths-2

SUBS

Deegan-2
Caldwell-2
Handling-2

hibs4thecup1988
15-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I must have been watching another game...Maybury getting 3 and 5? Maybury was MOTM for me outside of Doyle.

First half he was immense. 2nd half he saved 2 certain goals.

Take the green tinted specs off regards him playing for Hearts previously

Hibby 2005
15-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I must have been watching another game...Maybury getting 3 and 5? Maybury was MOTM for me outside of Doyle.

Not trying to be cheeky but every game I've been to so far I've seen Maybury targeted by the opposition who must see him as a weak link. He's often beaten for pace therefore backs off and backs off until the winger is pretty much inside the 18 yard box. Today's 3rd goal was a case in point.

hibsbollah
15-12-2012, 09:57 PM

Every game we play now the opposition target our right flank 70%+ of the time. Maybury is our weak link. Ex hearts is irrelevant, hes just not up to week in week out foitball anymore. Clancys return is vital.

J-C
15-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Williams 6............. no chance with any of the goals

Maybury 5.......... certainly not our worst player today, severly lacking in pace
McPake 5......... decent 1st half but poor second
Hanlon 5..... see above
Mcgivern 5......see above, got no help from Cairney in 2nd half and was exposed by Humphries for 2 of the goals.

Claros 4........ thought he was poor today, gave away the ball all too often and seemed to be unaware of where opposition players are on the pitch
Taiwo 7......looked good most of the game, put in a few crunching tackles, was all over the midfield
Cairney 4....... decent 1st half but disappeared totally in the 2nd, left McGivern exposed
Wotherspoon 1...... apart from the cross for the 1st goal did absolutely nothing whole game, never chased back when he constantly lost the ball and tried step overs at every opportunity, struggle to get a new deal playing like this.

Doyle 6.......... took goals well but still looks like a headless chicken at times
Griffiths 4......apart from a couple long shots did nowt else, poor game

Fenlon 2....... baffled by his substitutions, why Stevenson wasn't brought on to help McGivern when it was obvious a natural left sided midfielder was needed and to keep Spoony on when it was plain for all to see he was extremely poor.

The Harp Awakes
16-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Every game we play now the opposition target our right flank 70%+ of the time. Maybury is our weak link. Ex hearts is irrelevant, hes just not up to week in week out foitball anymore. Clancys return is vital.

Maybury was brought in as a squad player as cover and has played more games than expected due to injuries to key defenders. He's struggled at times over the season but played well today. To single him out for criticism today in what was a gutting result is just using him as a scapegoat.

Shrekko
16-12-2012, 12:25 AM

In general terms I think Clancy coming back is important but you're just looking for it if you're trying to say that all the problems came down that side today- it just wasn't the case.

This Taiwo being the new Brian Kerr is again just something you're looking for- very few others can see it. In fact Brian Kerr wasnt even as bad as was made out- he certainly was average but also the victim of a fashion which probably originated on here for folk to go on about unseen work.

Maybury has done a good job yet every time a winger runs down his side, some of the crowd are howling like wee lassies in anticipation of a mistake that in actual fact rarely comes.

Sparky was absolutely honking today- looked like he was playing for himself and just refused to even once do the simple thing to retain possession. He's been great this year but if you're looking to single out a poor performer today....

SMAXXA
16-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Just home after a few drinks and still wondering what happened today. We went from being comfortable to not looking like anything resembling a professional football team. What were the subs.all about? Did we switch to 352? Why was McGivern playing wide midfielder when we should have been defending a lead?

Williams 6

McGivern 6 Good first half, exposed second half by Humphries' pace and seemed to push into midfield when we needed him at the back? Confused by what position he was playing...

Hanlon 5 No obvious major mistakes but when you concede goals like we did inside the six yard box youre doing something wrong

McPake 5 see above

Maybury 3 the weak link and other SPL managers know it. Tortured by Ojamaa second half.

Cairney 4 off form.

Claros 6

Taiwo 8 Best game by a mile in a Hibs shirt. Sorry about the previous Brian Kerr jibes Tom, you were seen today :agree:

Wotherspoon 4 Our right hand side is a mess.

Doyle 7
Griffiths 5

I cant even give marks for the subs, or for the managers performance, because I dont understand WTF was going on, what system we were playing or whether the subs were injury enforced or not. Just baffling and very very disappointing.

Must have been watching a different game to me cause I thought Maybury was decent today. Hanlon got beasted by Higdon as he does against every decent size striker and Cairney was one of our best players in the first half and liitle so the second but cracking ball for doyles goal.

Spoony was largley annonymos, why cross when you should shoot and vice versa, great cross for the first goal though so fair play to him for that

Hainan Hibs
16-12-2012, 12:45 AM
If that is Maybury playing decent thank **** I've not had to watch him week in week out. I don't understand the logic in allowing wingers to run nearly into the six yard box time and again without challenging.

the entire team was dreadful as soon as we scored the 2nd and none would deserve pass marks.

muzzhfc
16-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Maybe an idea to switch to 3-1-4-2
Williams
Ncpake hanlon mcgivern
Deegan
Spoony taiwoo claros cairney
Doyle griffiths

The only way we can punt maybury from the team as we have no other right back

hibs4thecup1988
16-12-2012, 01:06 AM
If that is Maybury playing decent thank **** I've not had to watch him week in week out. I don't understand the logic in allowing wingers to run nearly into the six yard box time and again without challenging.

the entire team was dreadful as soon as we scored the 2nd and none would deserve pass marks.

So McGivern is pish too then? :rolleyes:

hibs4thecup1988
16-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Maybury was brought in as a squad player as cover and has played more games than expected due to injuries to key defenders. He's struggled at times over the season but played well today. To single him out for criticism today in what was a gutting result is just using him as a scapegoat.

Thank god it wasn't just me :agree:

shetlandhibee
16-12-2012, 02:43 AM
-------------------Williams-------------------
---------McGivern-mcpake-hanlon----------
Wotherspoon------------------------Stevenson
----------------claros----tawio--------------
--------------------cairney------------------
-----------Doyle-------------griffiths--------

I saw on another thread someone suggested this formation but everyone said that we couldnt drop cairney so I thought take play him just of the strikers. Claros and tawio(or deegan) can provide cover for the defence by playing sitting midfielders. 3 cb's mcpake,hanlon and McGivern and 2 attacking wing back bombing up and down the wings.

dmc1875
16-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Thank god it wasn't just me :agree:

Yup the criticism of Maybury at times is baffling. Motherwell targeted our right side? Really? I must have been at a different game as most of the time until it went 2-2 they were using Humphrey who gave McGivern the absolute run around.

It was only at 2-2 they started targeting the other flank as Cairney had started doubling up on Humphrey..

Maybury was good today I thought, made a couple of really decent tackles and his 'tucking in' to the centre half he does is a tactic that PF has him doing.

He has had some games when he hasn't been great but to single him out today is baffling.

hibsbollah
16-12-2012, 08:14 AM
In general terms I think Clancy coming back is important but you're just looking for it if you're trying to say that all the problems came down that side today- it just wasn't the case.

This Taiwo being the new Brian Kerr is again just something you're looking for- very few others can see it. In fact Brian Kerr wasnt even as bad as was made out- he certainly was average but also the victim of a fashion which probably originated on here for folk to go on about unseen work.

Maybury has done a good job yet every time a winger runs down his side, some of the crowd are howling like wee lassies in anticipation of a mistake that in actual fact rarely comes.

Sparky was absolutely honking today- looked like he was playing for himself and just refused to even once do the simple thing to retain possession. He's been great this year but if you're looking to single out a poor performer today....

Maybe rather than 'looking for it' or having a hidden agenda, I just see things differently to you? :dunno: You clearly have a more negative view of Lewis Stevenson than I do, for example, but I respect your opinion and it doesn't bother me one way or another really.

J-C
16-12-2012, 08:47 AM
-------------------Williams-------------------
---------McGivern-mcpake-hanlon----------
Wotherspoon------------------------Stevenson
----------------claros----tawio--------------
--------------------cairney------------------
-----------Doyle-------------griffiths--------

I saw on another thread someone suggested this formation but everyone said that we couldnt drop cairney so I thought take play him just of the strikers. Claros and tawio(or deegan) can provide cover for the defence by playing sitting midfielders. 3 cb's mcpake,hanlon and McGivern and 2 attacking wing back bombing up and down the wings.

You'd play Wotherspoon as a wing back, the lad has zero pace and doesn't know what defending means, if you want to play with wing backs, then bring Booth or even play McGivern there as he has bags of pace a a decent left peg.

A better back 3 would be Clancy/McPake/Hanlon

Scouse Hibee
16-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Yup the criticism of Maybury at times is baffling. Motherwell targeted our right side? Really? I must have been at a different game as most of the time until it went 2-2 they were using Humphrey who gave McGivern the absolute run around.

It was only at 2-2 they started targeting the other flank as Cairney had started doubling up on Humphrey..

Maybury was good today I thought, made a couple of really decent tackles and his 'tucking in' to the centre half he does is a tactic that PF has him doing.

He has had some games when he hasn't been great but to single him out today is baffling.

:agree: Spot on, you were at the same game as me.

Shrekko
16-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Maybe rather than 'looking for it' or having a hidden agenda, I just see things differently to you? :dunno: You clearly have a more negative view of Lewis Stevenson than I do, for example, but I respect your opinion and it doesn't bother me one way or another really.

Everyone has their favourites- I have no problem with that. I think however you give credit or criticism where it's due- not just because it's a certain player.

As several people have said- most of Motherwell's danger was actually coming down the other side in the second half yesterday hence the 'you're looking for it' comment. If you watch the game over again I reckon we're talking fact in this instance as opposed to just opinion.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2012, 11:31 AM

And me.

This won't be popular either but I'm really starting to have misgivings about McPake.

Wears his heart on his sleeve and throws himself in the line of fire. However his positional sense is shocking. He gets dragged all over the place and doesn't really seem to read the game at all. This leaves gaps all over the back line that teams with a bit pace, like Motherwell, can exploit.

Tin hat firmly on.

J-C
16-12-2012, 11:46 AM
And me.

This won't be popular either but I'm really starting to have misgivings about McPake.

Wears his heart on his sleeve and throws himself in the line of fire. However his positional sense is shocking. He gets dragged all over the place and doesn't really seem to read the game at all. This leaves gaps all over the back line that teams with a bit pace, like Motherwell, can exploit.

Tin hat firmly on.

Thought it was just me then, I think after his displays last season it was natural that we needed a leader in the team, however like you I feel he's not exactly the defender we really need, throws his body at the ball which is great but positionally very poor and now being found out more and more, Clancy at CH may be a better option.

Scouse Hibee
16-12-2012, 12:47 PM
And me.

Tin hat firmly on.

I said something similar yesterday during the game, McGivern has actually looked far more solid at CH than McPake has IMO. Saying the right things and demonstrating passion will only get you so far, in McPakes case however this seems to have elevated him to an untouchable status in some people's minds. Having said that if he was all things perfect we would never have been able to sign him in the first place!

hibsbollah
16-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Everyone has their favourites- I have no problem with that. I think however you give credit or criticism where it's due- not just because it's a certain player.

As several people have said- most of Motherwell's danger was actually coming down the other side in the second half yesterday hence the 'you're looking for it' comment. If you watch the game over again I reckon we're talking fact in this instance as opposed to just opinion.

I was at the game, with an excellent view from the East and saw what was happening down our right flank so I really dont need to watch it again. Ive given Maybury credit plenty of times in the past and have no problem being objective about any of our players.

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Williams .... 10 ....... 6 for his keeping and 4 sympathy points for having to play most of the second half without a back 4.

Maybury ... 5 ..... Not the worst player on the park.

McPake ... 3 ... WTF

Hanlon ... 3 ... Same as McPake yesterday

McGivern ... 4 ... Worst game in a Hibs shirt by a mile

Claros ... 6 ... thought he was better than most and tried really hard

Taiwo ... 5 ... did OK but I just didnt see the perfornance some others seemed to

Cairney ... 5 ... below his usual good standard

Wotherspoon ... 3 ... hardly in the game and when he did get the ball he did nothing with it, cross for the goal notwithstanding

Doyle ... 7 ... Didnt contribute much in general play .. but hes a striker and he scored twice, therefore he did his job.

Griffiths ... 5 ... for his first half efforts... 2nd half he deserved to be subbed, not his usual self I hope he is OK.

Subs .... no comment, they cant be blamed for our second half shambles.

Pat Fenlon ... 2 .... Sorry Pat, it was hard to see what you were trying to do yesterday. Even I could see that we were allowing Motherwell too much time on the ball, not to mention too much of the ball. When they got the first it was obvious they would at least equalise if we didnt press them higher up the pitch and do something to protect the right and left wings better.

The ref .... How him and his assistant missed a throw in to Hibs at 2 - 2 down at the corner flag is a total mystery .. everybody in the ground saw the ball come off the Well player. Their mistake lead to a booking for Wotherspoon and ( if not directly ) to Motherwell getting the winner.

Too many " bad days at the office " lately .... Time for us to get a grip.

hibee_girl
16-12-2012, 02:44 PM
And me.

Tin hat firmly on.

Totally agree about McPake, I'd go as far as to say we didn't really miss him when he was injured.

hibs4thecup1988
16-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Totally agree about McPake, I'd go as far as to say we didn't really miss him when he was injured.

I agree.

I do not think he was anywhere near fit yesterday which was obviously a problem. The booking he got early doors didn't help either.

I seriously think the team we have is set up to be a 3-5-2 as in McLeish's day. Yes it would mean Maybury dropping out but that is ok.

Williams

--------McPake
----Hanlon McGivern
Wotherspoon(Or Clancy) Stevenson(Or dare I say it...Kujabi!)
--------Claros Deegan Cairney
Griffiths Doyle

Looking at that team we would have 2 strong centre halfs and a sweeper who would put everything on the line. 2 wing backs that can attack and defend. 3 Midfielders who can play football, but also Claros and Deegan to add a bit of bite. 2 strikers that can find the net. Worrying thing for me is if we lose the 3 loanees. Going to be a long 5 months if we do.

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Absolutely. Maybury is a good professional and ALWAYS tries his best. Unfortunately at 34 he struggles after about 60 minutes (fenlon should see this). All his mistakes come late on.

ancient hibee
16-12-2012, 05:43 PM
The idea of McPake in a back three is laughable.This is a guy who is constantly injuring himself because his poor positional play means he has to throw himself at everything -yesterday he wasn't fit enough to even do that hence three tap in goals by unmarked players in the six yard box.I think he's a good leader and never gives up but he's too limited for what is suggested.

McKenzie
16-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Mcpake should be used as a squad player, Mcgivern back to centre half with Hanlon and Stevenson back to full back from now on please Pat. Clancy back is vital for the derby

SMAXXA
16-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Mcpake should be used as a squad player, Mcgivern back to centre half with Hanlon and Stevenson back to full back from now on please Pat. Clancy back is vital for the derby

The endless pish just keeps coming at the moment, you for real having Hanlon over McPake no chance. The CH pairing you want have contributed to our worst run of results of the season, McPake came in and started after weeks out, don't get too carried away.

Can't believe the swell of people criticising McPake, fair doos yest he wasn't great and hasn't hit the hights of last season which he admits himself. How good Hanlon and McGivern been the last few weeks? Put it into context his first game back in weeks, a booking he should never have had for the first and yes he looked rusty. Maybe Pats fault more than anything for playing him but can you really resist if our captain declares himself fit?

Getting an overwhelming sense of panic at the moment when imo there's no need. We've hit a bad run like everyone else has gone through, we will come through it no doubt as your inverness or the like hit the skids for a few games.

Jonnyboy
16-12-2012, 10:27 PM
So McGivern is pish too then? :rolleyes:

Not pish no but culpable for two of the three goals yesterday. Watch the highlights and watch McGivern roasted by Humphries on the first occasion and letting Murphy run for the second. I really like McGivern but feel it's easier for folk just to blame Hanlon.

Golden Bear
16-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Sometimes, just sometimes you have got to give credit to the quality of the opposition players. It's not always the case that someone is to blame.!

hibs4thecup1988
16-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Jonnyboy I agree with you. I thought McGivern was at fault for 2 goals too. My point was because people were saying Maybury was getting beat every attack(which was not the case) and saying he was pish.

Anyways! We need to lift the head. Big game on Sunday. Big 2 weeks ahead until the derby.