PDA

View Full Version : A minute's silence?

ekhibee
14-12-2012, 09:43 PM
I just wondered if there might be a minute's silence at the game tomorrow for the tragedy that happened in Connecticut today. I know it's not football-related, but somethings transcend that. What a tragic waste of life.

IWasThere2016
14-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Horrific scenes. Some as young as 5 years old. RIP.

Soldiersteve
14-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I believe that we should do so.

Scouse Hibee
14-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Terrible loss of lives but if we lose the connection between football related incidents where will it all end? A minutes silence would be needed every week to accomodate atrocities throughout the world...........not for me. However if it was decided to have one of course it goes without saying that I would respect it.

Bostonhibby
14-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Terrible loss of lives but if we lose the connection between football related incidents where will it all end? A minutes silence would be needed every week to accomodate atrocities throughout the world...........not for me. However if it was decided to have one of course it goes without saying that I would respect it.

:agree:

Pretty Boy
15-12-2012, 07:14 AM

Agree with this.

Whilst the story in question is absolutely horrific and troubling viewing, there are thousands of children die around the world every day due to war, famine, malnutrition, lack of access to basic medicines etc etc.

We could be in a permanent silence if we had one to recognise every atrocity and injustice.

Saorsa
15-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Terrible loss of lives but if we lose the connection between football related incidents where will it all end? A minutes silence would be needed every week to accomodate atrocities throughout the world...........not for me. However if it was decided to have one of course it goes without saying that I would respect it.I agree with this, if it's nothing tae do with fitba, it shouldnae come in tae fitba as far as I'm concerned, excepting remembrance Sunday.

hibsbollah
15-12-2012, 07:57 AM

CB_NO3
15-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Good Point imo.

surreyhibbie
15-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Good Point imo.

monktonharp
15-12-2012, 11:10 AM
sorry to see the tragic story unfold, and the slaughter of innocents, but it's a no for me. I just could not imagine the same being done at an american ball game/whatever after our own tragic loss in Dunblane.

NOLA
15-12-2012, 11:27 AM
It didn't happen here so I'd doubt there will be a silence before the game

Phil D. Rolls
15-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Agreed, there are tragedies every week and if we held a minute's silence for them all, it would diminish their significance. This one is a heartbreaker, and for many of us echoes of Dunblane, a dark day.

HibeeN
15-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Celtic are holding a minute's silence today, not sure about the rest of the clubs yet.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Jamesie
16-12-2012, 12:54 AM

There would be something hypocritical and in my view political for the club to go ahead with a minute's silence when not doing so for, say, the children killed in Syria or indeed in Gaza over the past few weeks. For the life of a child should know no national or political boundaries and should be treated as equal in the eyes of the world.

Jack
16-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know any of the names of the kids?

Morgan Freeman's take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities.

Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine?

Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way.

Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours.

Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Albanian Hibs
16-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know any of the names of the kids?

Morgan Freeman's take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities.

Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine?

Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way.

Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours.

Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

The kids were named yesterday. God bless them all.

Sir David Gray
16-12-2012, 12:24 PM
It was an absolutely horrific tragedy and my thoughts are with the families of the victims. I cannot begin to imagine how it must feel to lose a child in such circumstances.

However, as tragic as this undoubtedly was, it has nothing to do with football or even with the UK so I don't think there is any need for a minute's silence at a Scottish football match.

If it had occurred in Edinburgh, or even somewhere in the UK (such as Dunblane) then I would fully understand why Hibs would want to show their respects. I don't think it would have been necessary to do anything yesterday though.

CropleyWasGod
16-12-2012, 12:30 PM
More than 1,000 people have died in the typhoon in the Philippines.

Would we have a minute's silence for them?