PDA

View Full Version : Being the only away fan...

Frogga
13-12-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

Must've been a bit surreal, especially since they are both reasonably big clubs! Hats off to the guy :aok:

Boyle89
13-12-2012, 02:51 PM
They are a decent sized club. How on earth did only 1 fan turn up? Can't even begin to imagine how wierd that was for him.

Hibercelona
13-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Thats certainly surreal! :Ummm:

To think.... that could be Hearts in a year or 2. :greengrin

Fair play to the Sampdoria supporters and staff.

Moulin Yarns
13-12-2012, 03:04 PM
must be a bit like supporting St Johnstone :wink:

lyonhibs
13-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Apparently Udinese only take 50/60 away fans on a regular basis. Taking fans to away games in large numbers, except massive rivalries or inter-city derbies is an almost uniquely UK thing. This is probably a mentality thing as well as, I guess, because most league games in the UK don't involve the sort of lengthy journeys that - for example - a Lille fan travelling to Marseille would encounter.

hibby rae
13-12-2012, 03:14 PM
And to think there was a thread on here recently questioning how many supporters we take to Inverness!

Peevemor
13-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I remember when my mate and I were the only (scarf wearing) Hibs supporters at a game. Far from being welcomed by the home fans we had to make a sharp exit 15 minutes before the end of the match.

It was, however, a Hearts v Meadowbank East of Scotland Shield match at Tynie. :greengrin

neilmartinrocks
13-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Apparently Udinese only take 50/60 away fans on a regular basis. Taking fans to away games in large numbers, except massive rivalries or inter-city derbies is an almost uniquely UK thing. This is probably a mentality thing as well as, I guess, because most league games in the UK don't involve the sort of lengthy journeys that - for example - a Lille fan travelling to Marseille would encounter.

My cousin in milan claims he's seen every team in serie A and most of the big teams of europe but has never been to an away game unless they are playing inter. Most Italians I know over here say much the same. European games are different though.

Peevemor
13-12-2012, 04:26 PM
My cousin in milan claims he's seen every team in serie A and most of the big teams of europe but has never been to an away game unless they are playing inter. Most Italians I know over here say much the same. European games are different though.

I know here in France, the distances are prohibitive, plus the fact that most matches kick off at 9.00pm on saturday nights.

For example, the closest clubs to Rennes (my closest L1 club) are

Lorient (closest) - 100 miles - 2 hour drive in good traffic, without stopping
Brest - 150 miles - 2.5-3 hrs
PSG - 220 miles - 4 hrs + stops
Bordeaux - 290 miles - 4.5-5 hrs + stops

People do travel, though the culture is nothing like in Scotland.

Sweet Left Peg
13-12-2012, 04:54 PM
I was at this game, in the Gradinata Nord which is behind the goal at the far end from the away fan(s). Couldn't make out the away end properly as my view was obscured by a TV gantry (reminded me of a bygone place...) I was impressed with Udinese who played with 3 CHs and 2 dynamic WBs. Di Natale is a really clever player who took his goal well. Sampdoria could not find the creativity to break them down and only got in behind them once and the keeper made a good save. The ref played a blinder, not taking any nonsense from diving Nancy boys. Must have told them to get up off the floor at least two dozen times.

ShanksSaidNo
13-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I know here in France, the distances are prohibitive, plus the fact that most matches kick off at 9.00pm on saturday nights.

Brest sounds like a decent away day!:cb

Pretty Boy
13-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Pah European pansies.

Newcastle took thousands to Plymouth in the Championship. A cool 800 mile round trip.

Ross4356
13-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Just out of wondering I had a look at the distance and its just over the distance between Aberdeen - Portsmouth or to put it another way 1 Hour & 20 Mins on one of their trains :confused: :sauzee:

Sweet Left Peg
13-12-2012, 06:40 PM
€16 for a ticket was very pleasantly surprising.
However, Italy being Italy, we could not buy tickets at the ticket office by the ground, only from the club shop in the center of Genoa. So, despite being outside the ground 45 minutes before kick off, we missed the first 10.

yeezus.
13-12-2012, 07:33 PM
must be a bit like supporting St Johnstone :wink:

:agree: or travelling to Elgin with Stranraer.

Technofob
13-12-2012, 08:29 PM

Do the Rennes supporters still talk about the good ol' days when Gary Smith and Allan Johnston played for them?? :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
13-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Brest

:tee hee:

hfc rd
13-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Credit where it's due. That is pretty impressive.

Matty_Jack04
13-12-2012, 10:33 PM
2-0 win and the boys yawning!! some fan him

Frazerbob
13-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Smallest Hibs travelling support I have seen was a testimonial at ICT during "the Great Adventure". A freezing Monday night in January with around a dozen Hibs fans maiking the journey. Cracking night out in Jonny Foxes with the team after the game. That was the first in a long line of trips to Inverness without a win!

frazeHFC
13-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Watched Udinese v Liverpool and it was an awful home support, and 50 or 60 away is pretty abysmal!

But fair play to the guy, must've been pretty strange. :greengrin

ChilliEater
13-12-2012, 11:22 PM
I was the only Hibs fan at Ibrox shortly before kick off for the league cup semi second leg in 1985 - there were road works on the M8 that held up the rest of the travelling support. It was quite funny having 30+ thousand huns chanting "Spot, spot the loony" and pointing at me.:flag:

zlatan
13-12-2012, 11:54 PM

I've heard it's a bit nippy.

Hibbyradge
14-12-2012, 12:02 AM

Brest :tee hee:

ballengeich
14-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Within Scotland, Gretna, in the season before Brooks Mileson took over, brought 3 supporters to a game at Stirling Albion. They were the secretary of the Gretna supporters' club, the president of the Gretna supporters' club, and the driver of the Gretna supporters' club bus.

Fair play to these guys. They're probably the people who brought the club into the SFL and have now rebuilt the new club that's in the East of Scotland League. They'll still be supporting their town's team now that all the gloryhunters have disappeared.

Sir David Gray
14-12-2012, 01:11 AM
As others have said already, it tends to be a British thing to travel in large numbers to away matches, however you would still expect more than one away fan to go to a game in one of the biggest leagues in Europe.

In terms of distance, travelling from Udine to Genoa is comparable with us going to Birmingham. Now obviously if we were playing Aston Villa then, because they're an English Premiership team and we are in different leagues, we would probably take a large number down to that game due to the fact that it would need to be either a glamour friendly or a big European match, but if we happened to be playing them in a normal league game, I'm not too sure how many fans we would take down there on a Monday night a couple of weeks before Christmas!

Probably more than one, right enough!

3pm
14-12-2012, 07:17 AM
I'd love to see their messageboard when he started a thread saying he was an uber fan and the rest of them were just ***** supporters!

Frazerbob
14-12-2012, 08:10 AM
I was the only Hibs fan at Ibrox shortly before kick off for the league cup semi second leg in 1985 - there were road works on the M8 that held up the rest of the travelling support. It was quite funny having 30+ thousand huns chanting "Spot, spot the loony" and pointing at me.:flag:

That was my first visit to Ibrox. I remember arriving about ten minutes after kick off and the Hibs end only had a few hundred fans. I couldn't believe how bad the support was. By half time the stand was full with 7000 Hibbies singing their hearts out.

marinello59
14-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox, 1981. I wasn't the only Hibs fan there but I was the only one in the lower tier wearing a Hibs a scarf. It was the first time I had been to the 'new' Ibrox, (one side was still a building site) and so when I asked the police which turnstile I should enter I didn't question it. When i realised I was in with the home support I approached a steward and asked for a move to the Upper tier where a healthy contingent of Hibs fans were gathered. I was told that I would have to leave the ground and pay to get back in. So being a tight git I thought, stuff it, I'll stay here. The hospitality was pretty good to be fair. The locals were only too willing to share their pies and bovril with me, especially when Jackie Mac scored what was a consolation goal and I couldn't stop myself from jumping up and cheering. I'd be lucky to leave there alive these days.

ahibby
14-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox, 1981. I wasn't the only Hibs fan there but I was the only one in the lower tier wearing a Hibs a scarf. It was the first time I had been to the 'new' Ibrox, (one side was still a building site) and so when I asked the police which turnstile I should enter I didn't question it. When i realised I was in with the home support I approached a steward and asked for a move to the Upper tier where a healthy contingent of Hibs fans were gathered. I was told that I would have to leave the ground and pay to get back in. So being a tight git I thought, stuff it, I'll stay here. The hospitality was pretty good to be fair. The locals were only too willing to share their pies and bovril with me, especially when Jackie Mac scored what was a consolation goal and I couldn't stop myself from jumping up and cheering. I'd be lucky to leave there alive these days.

I was once the only Hibs fan in the old Tannadice Terracing, there were Hibs fans in the stand though. We got stuffed by five if I remember correctly (maybe 5-0 going on 10).

GraniteCityHibs
14-12-2012, 11:54 AM

I've heard it's a BRA day oot!

.............I'll get me coat!

(Just realised this is post 187....that joke really was murder!)

ShanksSaidNo
14-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I've heard it's a bit nippy.

Now you're milking it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I remember BounceRoss being the only Hibs fan on the terrace opposite the main stand in Leuven whilst a few of us enjoyed the "free" wine on offer in the bar.

Skanko79
14-12-2012, 01:06 PM
attendances are shocking and getting worse in italy.

Lazio had about 900 for a home cup tie last year or the year before.

duffers
14-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I remember BounceRoss being the only Hibs fan on the terrace opposite the main stand in Leuven whilst a few of us enjoyed the "free" wine on offer in the bar.

Haha, here's some champers boys, me and the flag are going over to the terracing for a bounce.

OxoHibby
14-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Me and 3 mates went to a Dunfermline Brechin game at EEP in the away end in the late eighties.
We were the only people in the away end or stand.Brechin won 1-0 and the players looked stunned when we cheered and an away support!

heretoday
14-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Pah European pansies.

Newcastle took thousands to Plymouth in the Championship. A cool 800 mile round trip.

Hear Hear. They were probably too busy getting their nails done or something. Typical "continentals".

Jim Herriot
14-12-2012, 08:02 PM

I hope you gave a good rendition of "hail, hail,, the hib is here"

HiBremian
14-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Now you're milking it.

Aye, but think what this thread would have been like if F.C. Condom were in Ligue 1.

ChilliEater
15-12-2012, 12:45 AM
I hope you gave a good rendition of "hail, hail,, the hib is here"

Actually, I pointed at them while belting out "What a *****y home support" :greengrin

jgl07
17-12-2012, 12:18 PM

Have no fear, Nantes will be back in the top flight next season.

jgl07
17-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Me and 3 mates went to a Dunfermline Brechin game at EEP in the away end in the late eighties.
We were the only people in the away end or stand.Brechin won 1-0 and the players looked stunned when we cheered and an away support!

A group of us used to go to Stockport County on a Friday night and pretend to be visiting support. We even managed a Co-ches-ter, Col-ches-ter chant late in the game. The local paper picked this up and reported that the Colchester fans did not wake up until the second half. There was no segregation then.

Peevemor
17-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Have no fear, Nantes will be back in the top flight next season.

I said that to some mates at the start of the season and they basically laughed at me. It's looking at the moment though.

3pm
17-12-2012, 06:18 PM
'Just back from the game'...

FifeHibernian
17-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Shows that scottish football has stuff going for it. Just need to get better on the pitch...

Hermit Crab
12-12-2021, 09:07 PM
Just found this old thread randomly.

QoTS had about 12 fans at Dunfermline yesterday. As of Friday they had sold zero tickets for that game.

Hermit Crab
12-12-2021, 09:16 PM
I used to work with guy who is a Ross County fan, years ago before county made it big they were away to Falkirk on a midweek night at the old Brockville, I chummed him along and we were the virtually the only RC fans in the old front enclosure as the terrace behind the goals was closed due to lack of travelling fans. I'm sure county humped them spectacularly.

Liberal Hibby
13-12-2021, 10:12 AM
I was studying at the then Jordanhill college which Rangers used to use the sports pitches as their training ground. One day wandering past I saw that there were some guys in the green tracksuits coming off a coach. It was Hibs playing a bounce match to test out a triallist - one Ronnie Rosenthal. So I hung around for the first half (had to leave at HT for a lecture). He was pretty good I remember and scored. At one point a Rangers defender hacked him down outside the box I realised I was the only person shouting. Having said that there weren't a huge number of Rangers fans there either - but I was definitely outnumbered.

cabbageandribs1875
13-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Just found this old thread randomly.

QoTS had about 12 fans at Dunfermline yesterday. As of Friday they had sold zero tickets for that game.

so their was a ticket rush within 24 hours :agree: commendable

sleeping giant
13-12-2021, 11:18 AM
I was studying at the then Jordanhill college which Rangers used to use the sports pitches as their training ground. One day wandering past I saw that there were some guys in the green tracksuits coming off a coach. It was Hibs playing a bounce match to test out a triallist - one Ronnie Rosenthal. So I hung around for the first half (had to leave at HT for a lecture). He was pretty good I remember and scored. At one point a Rangers defender hacked him down outside the box I realised I was the only person shouting. Having said that there weren't a huge number of Rangers fans there either - but I was definitely outnumbered.

Seemingly lost out on him as he wanted 50k signing on fee.
We signed McGraw instead and Ronnie went to Liverpool. 😩

Hermit Crab
13-12-2021, 02:12 PM
so their was a ticket rush within 24 hours :agree: commendable

https://dafc.co.uk/awaytickets/

Dunfermline sell tickets direct to away fans so you can see online the numbers sold. Arbroath have currently sold zero tickets for the boxing day game there.

cabbageandribs1875
13-12-2021, 02:34 PM
https://dafc.co.uk/awaytickets/

Dunfermline sell tickets direct to away fans so you can see online the numbers sold. Arbroath have currently sold zero tickets for the boxing day game there.

that will surely change, Arbroath could very well find themselves top/equal top after next saturday....and Dunfy bottom

Hermit Crab
13-12-2021, 02:44 PM
that will surely change, Arbroath could very well find themselves top/equal top after next saturday....and Dunfy bottom

I'm sure they'll sell some but at the moment they've sold zero. Boxing day away to Dunfermline is a fair hike, especially with bellies full of turkey and Christmas cheer. :greengrin

brog
13-12-2021, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure I was the only Hibs fan in Maastricht when we won 3 0 in a friendly about 1970. Willie Mac, the then manager took me into the ground and straight into the dressing room. King Pat, a supposed friend, looked up, saw me and said **** me Boss, we're not that short surely!!😁

Crab apple
13-12-2021, 03:30 PM
We were well outnumbered for the so called pre season friendly with Notts Forest in Portugal a few years ago. I think Billy Davies was the new Forest manager. Thankfully haven't seen his name quoted in our current managerial search.

Iggy Pope
13-12-2021, 05:08 PM
The things you find, randomly.

MKHIBEE
13-12-2021, 06:56 PM
I was at a Real Betis v Real Zaragoza game around 5 years ago and the away section of the ground held 2 supporters.

darwenhibby
13-12-2021, 07:08 PM
Earlier this season
I was the only Hibs Supporter who turned up for the Accrington friendly
Still annoyed how some huddy of a centre half nearly broke Martin Boyle’s
John Doohlan came over to speak to Mathie
Didn’t see the problem “it’s football “

Hermit Crab
13-12-2021, 07:10 PM
I was at a Real Betis v Real Zaragoza game around 5 years ago and the away section of the ground held 2 supporters.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2193549-atletico-madrid-sell-30-tickets-for-saturdays-derby-vs-local-rivals-real-madrid

Spain doesn't have a big away fans culture at all., party due to the distances involved and most games are on tv these days too. About 7 years ago the Madrid derby seen only around 30 tickets sold to away fans, Atletico Madrid only sold 30 out of an allocation of 250 and thats a massive city derby. Unthinkable in the UK.

BTW, Zaragoza to Seville where Betis play is a 17 hour round trip driving without stopping. No wonder there was only 2 fans and they were probably local to the area as well. We are very lucky in Scotland that every single away game we play is more than doable in one days travel there and back.

Hermit Crab
13-12-2021, 07:13 PM
Earlier this season
I was the only Hibs Supporter who turned up for the Accrington friendly
Still annoyed how some huddy of a centre half nearly broke Martin Boyle’s
John Doohlan came over to speak to Mathie
Didn’t see the problem “it’s football “

I was amongst the 20 or so Hibs fans that travelled to Berlin for the Union Berlin match in 2012. Beat 2-0 I think but it was a great trip and a very friendly club.

Iggy Pope
13-12-2021, 07:15 PM
I was amongst the 20 or so Hibs fans that travelled to Berlin for the Union Berlin match in 2012. Beat 2-0 I think but it was a great trip and a very friendly club.

More than 20 there even including German Hibbies.

Hermit Crab
13-12-2021, 07:17 PM

Memory of that is a bit hazy, now many you reckon? I was behind the goals with 2 others, there was another pocket of fans on the terracing up the side of the pitch but I don't recall there being that many at all.

Iggy Pope
13-12-2021, 07:20 PM
Memory of that is a bit hazy, now many you reckon? I was behind the goals with 2 others, there was another pocket of fans on the terracing up the side of the pitch but I don't recall there being that many at all.

I was on the terrace alongside and there were Hibbies throughout. Couldn’t put a figure on it but more than 20, I never for a minute considered the support to be so few. Hibs were *****.

Hermit Crab
13-12-2021, 07:27 PM
I was on the terrace alongside and there were Hibbies throughout. Couldn’t put a figure on it but more than 20, I never for a minute considered the support to be so few. Hibs were *****.

We were but to be fair we'd just been humped in the cup final thats got to have played a part in fans deciding not to bother with that one.

Iggy Pope
13-12-2021, 07:33 PM
We were but to be fair we'd just been humped in the cup final thats got to have played a part in fans deciding not to bother with that one.

There were more than 20 that bothered getting to Leuven and Vlissingen on that same tour before ending in Berlin. Leuven was very busy as I recall, the cup final wasn’t mentioned much.

The Baldmans Comb
13-12-2021, 11:12 PM
I would have estimated 15 to 20 Hibs fans behind the goal for the Union Berlin match and quite a few groups of 2 and 3 dotted around the pitch side terrace.

Around 30 to 35 in a strange setting for a stadium being within part of a forest but friendly East Berliners who had a healthy contempt for Hertha.

Hermit Crab
13-12-2021, 11:27 PM
I would have estimated 15 to 20 Hibs fans behind the goal for the Union Berlin match and quite a few groups of 2 and 3 dotted around the pitch side terrace.

Around 30 to 35 in a strange setting for a stadium being within part of a forest but friendly East Berliners who had a healthy contempt for Hertha.

I was behind the goals with the demolished stand to my right, I was with 2 other Hibbys there and don't recall seeing any other Hibs fans there, only the little pocket of fans on the terrace alongside the pitch near the far end. Like I said earlier my memory is a bit hazy and I was pished at the game.

Keith_M
14-12-2021, 01:42 PM

I didn't see you lot from my comfy seat in the centre stand

:wink:

Hermit Crab
14-12-2021, 02:39 PM
I didn't see you lot from my comfy seat in the centre stand

:wink:

Were you one of the workmen rebuilding it at the time? :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-12-2021, 02:58 PM
There were more than 20 that bothered getting to Leuven and Vlissingen on that same tour before ending in Berlin. Leuven was very busy as I recall, the cup final wasn’t mentioned much.

Really enjoyed Leuven, been back a couple of times since. 🍺

Keith_M
14-12-2021, 03:13 PM
Were you one of the workmen rebuilding it at the time? :wink:

Yep, helmet and high viz vest

:greengrin