PDA

View Full Version : Stacky. We're from the Capital.

silverhibee
13-12-2012, 02:06 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/ex-hibee-graham-stack-has-fond-memories-and-one-eye-on-a-return-to-edinburgh-1-2690278

Good lad. :agree:

Diclonius
13-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Good keeper for us, was a shame his Hibs career ended the way it did.

Hibercelona
13-12-2012, 02:12 PM
You're welcome back up here any time Stacky. :aok:

Edinburgh could never have too many characters in its residence. :greengrin

lyonhibs
13-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Am I reading this right?

EDGAR DAVIDS is Barnet's joint player-manager.

Edgar Davids - in his day one of the world's best defensive midfielders?? :shocked:

Oh, and I don't think such an abject performance would have gone down so quietly on the pitch had Stack been in goals, not Brown, on the-day-never-to-be-mentioned.

silverhibee
13-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Am I reading this right?

Edgar Davids - in his day one of the world's best defensive midfielders?? :shocked:

Oh, and I don't think such an abject performance would have gone down so quietly on the pitch had Stack been in goals, not Brown, on the-day-never-to-be-mentioned.

Your reading is fine LH.

And ED is popping up to ER to watch a Hibs game.

Well done Stacky. :thumbsup:

Haymaker
13-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Am I reading this right?

Been there a while IIRC

JIm
13-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Have to say i thought he was an average keepe at Hibsr, did ok on the back of the dross we had before he signed. Certainly delighted that Pat broughtin Ben Williams as number 1.

As a person however i love reading about Stacky, he clearly loved his time up here and he hates the Hearts. :top marks

Good luck with the rest of his career.

Franck Stanton
13-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Good, competant keeper, was sorry to see him go, IMO would have pushed Williams all the way for the No1. Would always be welcome back.

#FromTheCapital
13-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Stacky is obviously a character, seems a great guy to have around the team and is very fond of hibs. Love watching him take the piss out of hearts on twitter. Wasn't an amazing keeper, I think we have found better in Williams but would welcome him back in the future possibly in a coaching role.

Scouse Hibee
13-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Funny how some keepers get judged on performances and clean sheets while others are judged on likeability!

hibsbollah
13-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I never felt that comfortable with him in goals, although he's far from the worst keeper we've had in recent years and im glad he enjoyed his time with us. Williams is a similar style of player but a step up in quality IMO.

Ozyhibby
13-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Stacky is obviously a character, seems a great guy to have around the team and is very fond of hibs. Love watching him take the piss out of hearts on twitter. Wasn't an amazing keeper, I think we have found better in Williams but would welcome him back in the future possibly in a coaching role.

Based on what? Is there any evidence of coaching prowess? Has he done his coaching badges? Has he been a model pro that could be a good example to the youngsters coming through?
I would suggest the answer to all of the above will be no.
We are not a charity for ex players.

Iceman1875
13-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Based on what? Is there any evidence of coaching prowess? Has he done his coaching badges? Has he been a model pro that could be a good example to the youngsters coming through?

Pipe down. The original poster was only stating that potentially in the future he could get into the coaching set-up. He clearly has a love for hibs and anyone that follows him on twitter will see that. If players love the club, are part of the family and have been colleagues in the past, surely we cannot rule them out for a future role, whatever that might be, in the future.

#FromTheCapital
13-12-2012, 05:21 PM

I said in the future, meaning 10 years or so down the line and I meant as a goalkeeping coach obviously. He's still playing professionally ffs give him a chance to get coaching badges etc if thats even what he wants to do in the first place. What I said was based on the fact that he loves hibs and seems a good character to have around. I also said it as a throwaway remark it wasn't a definitive statement begging him to come back as a coach. Going by your post you must think we are Real Barca Athletico United or something. We are hibs and most of the time we have to settle for the cheaper options.

#FromTheCapital
13-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Pipe down. The original poster was only stating that potentially in the future he could get into the coaching set-up. He clearly has a love for hibs and anyone that follows him on twitter will see that. If players love the club, are part of the family and have been colleagues in the past, surely we cannot rule them out for a future role, whatever that might be, in the future.

Exactly, thank you!

Ozyhibby
13-12-2012, 05:46 PM
I did not mean it as a specific dig at you, I just get tired of every player who has success at Hibs or in stack's case is popular on twitter being touted for coaching jobs. They are two different roles and competency in one is no guarantee of success in the other.
There are two schools of thought on wether Stack was good to have around the place. Pat Fenlon wasn't so keen.

#FromTheCapital
13-12-2012, 06:07 PM
I did not mean it as a specific dig at you, I just get tired of every player who has success at Hibs or in stack's case is popular on twitter being touted for coaching jobs. They are two different roles and competency in one is no guarantee of success in the other.
There are two schools of thought on wether Stack was good to have around the place. Pat Fenlon wasn't so keen.

If he was to return years from now as a coach I would imagine it being for other reasons than his witty banter on twitter. Think your maybe getting coach confused with manager?
Fwiw I think stack wasn't offered a new deal simply because paddy thought he wasn't good enough, could be wrong though.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2012, 06:22 PM
We dont need a new goalkeeping coach, Gordon Marshall is doing a sterling job for us.

hibsbollah
13-12-2012, 06:42 PM
We dont need a new goalkeeping coach, Gordon Marshall is doing a sterling job for us.

Don't get me started :grr:

It was all Marshalls fault that Makalambay kept *****ing it against Hearts. Him and McCourt are the reason were still in a mess today:agree:

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Don't get me started :grr:

It was all Marshalls fault that Makalambay kept *****ing it against Hearts. Him and McCourt are the reason were still in a mess today:agree:

:greengrin

hibby rae
13-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Going off topic slightly but did anybody else used to get their haircut by Gordon Marshall? He used to own a hairdressers down in Haymarket when he was at Celtic.

hibeemikey21
13-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Going off topic slightly but did anybody else used to get their haircut by Gordon Marshall? He used to own a hairdressers down in Haymarket when he was at Celtic.

There is no way that a man who sported a receding bowl-cut for the best part of two decades owned a hair salon.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2012, 08:14 PM
There is no way that a man who sported a receding bowl-cut for the best part of two decades owned a hair salon.

He did, in fact Trever Sorbie was trained by our Gordon, and Vidal Sassoon was so impressed with his styling he had Gordon flown down to London once every 6 weeks to do his hair.

Billy Whizz
13-12-2012, 08:17 PM

I think it was next door to where Greggs is now

hibby rae
13-12-2012, 08:21 PM

If the mullet can be considered fashionable then there's no reason why that particular style can't! But that does explain why I had a hairstyle that looked like a receding bowl cut when I was 10. :greengrin

hibsbollah
13-12-2012, 08:26 PM

I used to get my haircut by Peter Guggi. Austrians know their follicles :agree:

hibeemikey21
13-12-2012, 08:27 PM
If the mullet can be considered fashionable then there's no reason why that particular style can't! But that does explain why I had a hairstyle that looked like a receding bowl cut when I was 10. :greengrin

Maybe a different era, but my mother subjected me to curtains at that age where you have no say. Dark days.

brydekirk
13-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Waster, end off, fact.

Stantons Angel
13-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I think you should know that Gordon Marshall left Hibs over a year ago and is now with Motherwell I think?

The hairdressing shop belonged to his father and Gordon trained there to be a hairdresser.

Just some useless information!

Billy Whizz
13-12-2012, 09:05 PM
I think you should know that Gordon Marshall left Hibs over a year ago and is now with Motherwell I think?

The hairdressing shop belonged to his father and Gordon trained there to be a hairdresser.

He left Hibs a lot longer than one year ago

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2012, 09:06 PM

:tee hee:

Ozyhibby
13-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Wasn't it the newsagent that his Dad owned?

CropleyWasGod
13-12-2012, 10:24 PM

IIRC, the barber's was in the basement of the newsagent shop.

hibsbollah
13-12-2012, 10:36 PM
IIRC, the barber's was in the basement of the newsagent shop.

It was more of a dungeon than a basement by all accounts. Children would whimper as they descended past the rows of crisps and confectionery down to the haircut of doom.

truehibernian
13-12-2012, 11:05 PM
It was more of a dungeon than a basement by all accounts. Children would whimper as they descended past the rows of crisps and confectionery down to the haircut of doom.

Surely bollah the natural haircut progression was mother's own home hairdressing bowl cut, then on to Alfie's in Tollcross, graduating to Woods barber ? Then systematic hair loss due to over use of mousse, gel, black n white wax and 'sun in' for the summer months ?

Lucius Apuleius
14-12-2012, 05:16 AM
His own crap hair cut is surely evidence of his prowess as opposed to his competitors?

MB62
14-12-2012, 08:49 AM
If he was to return years from now as a coach I would imagine it being for other reasons than his witty banter on twitter. Think your maybe getting coach confused with manager?
Fwiw I think stack wasn't offered a new deal simply because paddy thought he wasn't good enough, could be wrong though.

was it not because the man was constantly injured, bad back I think but memory is failing these days, even forget it's my round at times :wink: :greengrin

hibsbollah
14-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Surely bollah the natural haircut progression was mother's own home hairdressing bowl cut, then on to Alfie's in Tollcross, graduating to Woods barber ? Then systematic hair loss due to over use of mousse, gel, black n white wax and 'sun in' for the summer months ?

Alfies at Tollcross, that takes me back :greengrin Woods of Drummond Street as well with the red n white barbers pole :not worth:

essexhibee
14-12-2012, 10:28 AM
All the best stacky. Always thought he was a competent keeper with great feet. Hope it all works out for him.

hibby rae
14-12-2012, 10:41 AM

My natural progression took me to Just Alan's at Shandon, purely because he was a hibs supporter. These days I just do it myself that way I get exactly what I want and, touch wood, it hasn't went tits up yet!

truehibernian
14-12-2012, 10:46 AM
My natural progression took me to Just Alan's at Shandon, purely because he was a hibs supporter. These days I just do it myself that way I get exactly what I want and, touch wood, it hasn't went tits up yet!

We considered Shandon just beyond enemy lines Rae so we only ventured into hostile hearts territory when required - I believe you can still see the trenches along Polwarth Crescent and Time Team are planning to do a show from there.

GraniteCityHibs
14-12-2012, 10:47 AM

He left Hibs a lot longer than one year ago

That'll be why he said over a year ago then!

jdships
14-12-2012, 11:43 AM

:thumbsup:
That's as I understood it !!

Heedersnvolleys
14-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Alfies at Tollcross, that takes me back :greengrin Woods of Drummond Street as well with the red n white barbers pole :not worth:

Woods, they were the days!!!! Did nae like going doon stairs there either ;-) stood in that Q for oors fir a 2min haircut

hibby rae
14-12-2012, 12:29 PM
We considered Shandon just beyond enemy lines Rae so we only ventured into hostile hearts territory when required - I believe you can still see the trenches along Polwarth Crescent and Time Team are planning to do a show from there.

Ha! I grow up on watson crescent, went to Tynecastle High and now live in dalry. So I'm basically a paratrooper behind enemy lines! Like Captain Spiers from band of brothers ( Edinburgh native).

Gatecrasher
14-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Stack done a job for us, he came in at a time when we were going from pish keeper to pish keeper and gave us some consistancy at that role. It also didnt help him he was here during one of our worst periods as a club.

Thanks for the hard work stacky :thumbsup:

hibby rae
14-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Ha! I grow up on watson crescent, went to Tynecastle High and now live in dalry. So I'm basically a paratrooper behind enemy lines! Like Captain Spiers from band of brothers ( Edinburgh native).