PDA

View Full Version : NHC RE Steven Doris

Lmc2105
13-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Just a quick question about this lad. Sorry if already posted.

Played up front for Arbroath last night against what a would say is a celtic back 11 that plays in the SPL and thought that he had them alll under the cosh all game! .. kind of reminded me as a Stephen Dobbie kind of player. would you give him a chance at ER?!

Seems like that is the kind of player we have been missing up front and maybe just needs a chance at a bigger club wouldn't command a huge fee a wouldn't think and a think he is in his mid 20's

Thought's? :cb

Ross4356
13-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Signing Div2 players isn't going to get us 2nd in the SPL

Lucius Apuleius
13-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Correct, we need to get more players from Man U and Newcastle and other top EPL teams. :agree:

easty
13-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Why's that like?

CB_NO3
13-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Andy Webster came from Arbroath.

Scouse Hibee
13-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Just signing them won't, but signing them and allowing Pat to work with them and intergrate them into our squad just might!

Since90+2
13-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Quite a few players have been signed from the lower leagues and went on to be good SPL players.

Andy Webster from Arbroath
Darren McGregor from Cowdenbeath
Danny Swanson from Berwick Rangers
Morgaro Gomis from Cowdenbeath

Any others?

allezsauzee
13-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Considering he's 24 and hasn't really played at the top level it's a bit of a gamble, however players do improve and full time training and good coaching can make a huge difference. I'd sooner take a punt on some lower league players with scope to improve than fill the squad with journeymen

Since90+2
13-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Considering he's 24 and hasn't really played at the top level it's a bit of a gamble, however players do improve and full time training and good coaching can make a huge difference. I'd sooner take a punt on some lower league players with scope to improve than fill the squad with journeymen

Exactly. He coudnt be any worse than Kuqi and would be on a fraction of what the cookie monster is on.

Hibercelona
13-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Theres a few tough nuts in the lower leagues that could probably do a job in the SPL, but they don't get the recognition they deserve due to their lack of technical ability.

Teams need a good balance between technically gifted players and players who will just roll their sleeves up and get stuck right in.

Lucius Apuleius
13-12-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_list_az.php

A wee look here will show you where we got some best ever players from. :wink:

BroxburnHibee
13-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Gordon Durie from east fife springs to mind

cabbageandribs1875
13-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Just a quick question about this lad. Sorry if already posted.

Played up front for Arbroath last night against what a would say is a celtic back 11 that plays in the SPL and thought that he had them alll under the cosh all game! .. kind of reminded me as a Stephen Dobbie kind of player. would you give him a chance at ER?!

sellick are usually more attack-minded than that :confused:

:greengrin

basehibby
13-12-2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_list_az.php

A wee look here will show you where we got some best ever players from. :wink:

:agree: A wee look at the letter S yielded the following (player - Club signed from (appearances))

Eric Schaedler - Stirling Albion (434)
Jim Scott - Boness Utd (270)
Bobby Smith - Musselburgh Windsor (232)
Gordon Smith - Dundee North End (636)
Pat Stanton - Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic (617)
Colin Stein - Armadale Thistle (109)

Just a quick glance at the above should consign forever to the dustbin of history the nonsense notion that Hibs are somehow "above" scouting for players in the lower divisions - or the juniors for that matter! - many of the best players in our history have been brought to Easter Road from humble beginnings - it's called SCOUTING FFS!

DarrenSQH
13-12-2012, 02:32 PM
:agree: A wee look at the letter S yielded the following (player - Club signed from (appearances))
Jim Scott - Boness Utd (270)

Quality Team!

Although boness were in the sfl till about 1940ish

hibby rae
13-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Quite a few players have been signed from the lower leagues and went on to be good SPL players.

Any others?

Ivan was a part time footballer till we signed him for £5000. It's fair to say he made a positive impact!

Iceman1875
13-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Paul Cairney from thistle has proven the step up can be made! Doris didn't stand out for me last night against Celtic however we should never rule out talent wherever they are currently playing.

brog
13-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Any others?

Fanny Templeton - Stenhousemuir
Craig Conway/Nae Pay Stevenson - Ayr United
Tony Watt - Airdrie
David Robertson/Paul Dixon - Dundee ( then in D1 )
There are many more!

PS, who was guy Doris Hibs had on books? ( unusual name )

Haymaker
13-12-2012, 04:01 PM
PS, who was guy Doris Hibs had on books? ( unusual name )

Jamie I think, a Kiwi IIRC

Lmc2105
13-12-2012, 05:27 PM
sellick are usually more attack-minded than that :confused:

:greengrin

haha wooooops :wink:

another one that springs to might is a certain Gary McKay Steven sure he was Airdrie

brog
13-12-2012, 05:37 PM
haha wooooops :wink:

another one that springs to might is a certain Gary McKay Steven sure he was Airdrie

Yep, & Barry Douglas came from Queens Park. Arabs more than any other team have successfully raided lower divisions.

Baldy Foghorn
13-12-2012, 05:45 PM
We have recently been linked to players from Dunfermline, Partick, QOTS. For me it does not matter where they come from, as long as they are good. Cairney is the prime example of this and has been great most of the time all season.

PF said last night they had put better scouting system in place, with Dave Henderson coming in. We also have contacts in England, Wales and NI. However, PF was keen to say that if anyone had any tips on players they have seen, then he was not averse to an email being sent to Dave Henderson, who would take it from there......

I would imagine that our scouts have already seen a number of players they like......

JimBHibees
13-12-2012, 05:55 PM
We have recently been linked to players from Dunfermline, Partick, QOTS. For me it does not matter where they come from, as long as they are good. Cairney is the prime example of this and has been great most of the time all season.

PF said last night they had put better scouting system in place, with Dave Henderson coming in. We also have contacts in England, Wales and NI. However, PF was keen to say that if anyone had any tips on players they have seen, then he was not averse to an email being sent to Dave Henderson, who would take it from there......

I would imagine that our scouts have already seen a number of players they like......

Good to hear they are open to others providing tips on players.

Ell_Chrisso
13-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Know him personally & having also played with numerous times at youth level he was always a good player. Not sure if rising up would either be a step too far for him or that he would take it in his stride. Just delighted to see a lad from Perth score a massive goal for his club away to Celtic!

Baldy Foghorn
13-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Good to hear they are open to others providing tips on players.

Yes it was good to hear that from PF......

truehibernian
13-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Maybe James McPake could use old Livi contacts to see if Andy Halliday is available - really good, pacy winger at 'Boro - I've been keeping a wee eye on him but looks like Tony Mowbray rates him and he's a squad regular these days.

Hibstrooper
13-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Definitely a market we need to explore more and Pat has already said he would.

We just need to be careful though, for every Paul Cairney there is a Paul Tosh and for every Craig Conway there is a Lee Power.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2012, 06:29 PM

:grr: 30 odd years, and 2 cruciate injuries too late. Oh well anyone know hearts email address? :greengrin

hfc rd
13-12-2012, 07:09 PM

The number of players that have came from the lower leagues in Scotland to the SPL have been revelations at their respective club. A number of them are plying their trades in the championship in England now and a couple of others like Mackay-Steven, Cairney, Watt, Douglas, McGregor, Griffiths, Davidson etc will be joining them soon.

Leishy1995
13-12-2012, 07:22 PM
If our scouts rate them, Pat signs them, then they have something. If we signed a player I never heard of I'd never write them off before playing.

kuqi came from English leagues. I'd much rather try a guy like Doris now.

Lmc2105
13-12-2012, 07:35 PM
If our scouts rate them, Pat signs them, then they have something. If we signed a player I never heard of I'd never write them off before playing.

kuqi came from English leagues. I'd much rather try a guy like Doris now.

would agree with you their mate. Doris I thought played the Celtic backline really well and also his build would be a handful ...

Hibby Bairn
13-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Looked like he had real desire and determination. Maybe a tad heavy but full time would improve that. Looked to me like he knew this was his shop window opportunity to impress and I think he did. A real pain in the arse for Celtic defence last night. Looked like he would offer more than Doyle (who I don't really rate - sorry) and certainly big Kuqi.

Leishy1995
13-12-2012, 11:11 PM
To add to my previous post. He's obviously the kind of player who wants the chance to prove it. Seeing him against a defence who weeks prior kept barca at bay actually showed him off well. He almost set a goal up if the guy had a finish near the end I'm sure..

Bobby's Cinema
14-12-2012, 12:41 AM
People getting a touch carried away with the idea of bringing through players from the lower leagues. All for it and yes it can work, but the vast majority will not make it. See Rory Mcallister. I'll trust Pat the manager in any case

greenlex
14-12-2012, 01:12 AM
I think Steven Doris might actually still be full time. If he isn't then he was up until last year. He was on the fringes at St Johnstone under Coyle.

basehibby
14-12-2012, 01:51 AM
People getting a touch carried away with the idea of bringing through players from the lower leagues. All for it and yes it can work, but the vast majority will not make it. See Rory Mcallister. I'll trust Pat the manager in any case

Fair point - lower league teams are lower league teams for good reason - on the whole their players aint as good as top league teams. But there are definately players here and there capable of making the step up and teams like Hibs are shooting themselves in the foot if not keeping close tabs on the standout performers - particularly in the 1st Div but also elsewhere.

GhostofBolivar
14-12-2012, 03:02 AM

Any others?

So that's four guys out of how many hundred? Whoop de doo.

JimBHibees
14-12-2012, 09:39 AM
I think Steven Doris might actually still be full time. If he isn't then he was up until last year. He was on the fringes at St Johnstone under Coyle.

I am pretty sure they mentioned he was working at Argos the next day so cant be now I wouldn't think.

allezsauzee
14-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I am pretty sure they mentioned he was working at Argos the next day so cant be now I wouldn't think.

I wondered why he took that receipt over to the 4th official when held up the number of the first sub

Since90+2
14-12-2012, 10:32 AM
So that's four guys out of how many hundred? Whoop de doo.

Plus the others mentioned on this thread including Tony Watt who will be worth millions in a few years (if he isnt already).

The point is that if you have a scouting system in place you can pick up gems in the lower leagues for a tiny fee , I wasnt suggesting hundreds would make the jump. Is that concept hard to grasp? :wink:

Lmc2105
04-01-2013, 01:10 PM
just noticed that the lad has a weeks trial at Birmingham city what a move that would be. just surprised their was no spl interest

--------
04-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Just as well Ned Turnbull didn't know that or he'd never have signed Des Bremner from Deveronvale ...

And Jock Stein must have been mad to sign Neil Martin from Queen of the South.

And imagine paying Stenhousemuir £1200 for Willie Ormond!

Had enough? :wink:

Number69
04-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Just in case anyone doesnt know, Doris is having a 5 day trial at Birmingham tomorrow. Not good enough for Hibs?? Really???