PDA

View Full Version : Rivals4Charity 2013 - Hearts Fans v HIbs Fans

Moncs
12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Rivals is back for its seventh year in 2013.

Tynecastle will host the match which will see the Hibs fans look to retain their trophy they won at Easter Road back in April.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHySG15gflc

The trials will start at the end of January for the match and any Hibs fan over the age of 16 is invited along. For all the details please visit the official website (www.rivals4charity.co.uk) and sign up for the newsletter.

Also follow/like us on Facebook and Twitter, that way you will ensure that you are kept up to date with how to get involved.

Moncs
20-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Here is the news you have all been waiting for.

Trials for the Hibs team will start on Friday 25th January at 7.30pm (until 9.30pm) at Spartans Academy.

To register for the 2013 match trials simply email hibs@rivals4charity.co.uk with the following details:
Name -
Date of Birth -
Email address -
Contact Phone Number -
Position played -
Team(s) played for in season 2012/13 -

The Hibs team coach will contact you with further details once you have registered.

Judas Iscariot
20-12-2012, 03:26 PM
What's the stance this year on EOS/Junior players?

Moncs
20-12-2012, 04:27 PM
What's the stance this year on EOS/Junior players?

Hi,

It will be a squad of 15 this year, compared to 16 in previous years, however the EOS/Junior situation is that out of the 15 players chosen only 2 can currently or have played for a EOS/Junior team in this current season.

It was to messy in the past to I think this is easier going forward.

Rivals
29-12-2012, 01:49 PM
To register for the trials simply email hibs@rivals4charity.co.uk with the below information

Name -
Date of Birth -
Email address -
Contact Phone Number -
Position played -

Rivals
07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Still plenty time to get involved, the trials for the Hibs team start at the end of the month at Spartans.

simply email hibs@rivals4charity.co.uk with the below information

Name -
Date of Birth -
Email address -
Contact Phone Number -
Position played -
Team(s) played for in season 2012/13

Rivals
16-01-2013, 01:30 PM
A great response so far, thanks to everyone who has signed up.

Its not to late so anyone thinking about it please do, don't worry about the standard you currently play at or turning up by yourself, over the years not only have people enjoyed the training sessions but lasting friendships have been created (corny I know, but true)

Go on sign up by emailing hibs@rivals4charity.co.uk with the below details.
Name -
Date of Birth -
Email address -
Contact Phone Number
Position played -

Torto7062
16-01-2013, 09:31 PM
will it be like last year when after the trials players were brought in at the last minute or will the team be chosen from the initial squad of trialists?

SMAXXA
16-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Whos taking the team this year?

Torto7062
16-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Whos taking the team this year?

I think its the same guy who was manager last year

SMAXXA
16-01-2013, 10:01 PM
I think its the same guy who was manager last year

Whos that mate?

sbell1875
16-01-2013, 10:36 PM
will it be like last year when after the trials players were brought in at the last minute or will the team be chosen from the initial squad of trialists?

What happened last year like?

monktonharp
16-01-2013, 10:56 PM
must remind myself not to read this again. too auld, by a country mile to get involved but I certainly get the point about corny In fact I find it cringeworty, and canny understand any benefit for Hibs fans at all. is it a charity thing, or what?

Rivals
16-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Dean Philp is the coach of the Hibs team again, after winning it last year he deserves the chance to defend the trophy at Tynecastle.

monktonharp - Interesting point, can you explain your comments? Yes, its a charity match which provides fans of both Hibs and Hearts the chance to 'live their dream' by playing for their heroes against their fierce rivals at Easter Road and Tynecastle.

Torto7062
17-01-2013, 10:54 PM
What happened last year like?

As it says on the tin.

a couple of weeks before the game some players were drafted in at the expense
of guys who had trained for months.

Mister P
17-01-2013, 11:48 PM
attention to all who may be interested
Having been involved in this in the first 4 years, i would warn you that you will undoubtedly see many posts of criticism on here about this event. DO NOT TAKE ANY NOTICE!

It is a fantastic event that raises a huge amount of money for LOCAL charities (although that may have changed this year since it has been absorbed into the homeless world cup?)

for the players who attend the trials, its a fantastic experience but it is in it's nature that some player will not attend trials till a bit later in the process for a variety of reasons. perhaps they dont consider it too much till it gains momentum, maybe work commitments affect when they can start attending?

There is always a bit of negative criticism on the run up and after the event, I've never understood it but have learned to accept and ignore it.

thats not to say any critics don't have a genuine reason for commenting, but it serves no purpose whatsoever so is always dissapointing to see it.

my advice, if you're interested then take it very seriously and attend at your soonest convenience, work hard at training and give the gaffer every reason to select you. any late attendents are at a dissadvantage if they leave it till late in the process. No manager would ever select a lesser player to take part in this, they guys who made the squad must all have been worthy of their place, fact!

group together and **** the Hearts!!!

ps, Hibs have won 4/6 of these matches....big team!

sambajustice
18-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Its for Charity aye but how would you feel if you turned up every week, twice a week, paid a fiver a session then someone swans in with a few weeks to go, gets in the team and you get bumped. You'd feel a bit aggrieved, probably not at the fact you were bumped but the fact you've paid all that dough and someone comes in at the last minute pays next to hee haw and gets in the squad.

They should make a rule to folk that they have to attend at least 75% of the sessions to get in or something like that.

I've never went for it but know folk who have and know the stories.

At the end of the day though its for a good cause so its hard to be too critical of it.

Hibby Bairn
18-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Be good to have a "veterans" version of this as very few over 40's would get in the main event teams. I think there would be high demand (with maybe fewer pre-game training sessions :greengrin). If the stadium is being used for one game could an additional game not be scheduled for the same day starting a couple of hours or so later? Same set up. And would raise double the amount presumably.

monktonharp
18-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Dean Philp is the coach of the Hibs team again, after winning it last year he deserves the chance to defend the trophy at Tynecastle.

monktonharp - Interesting point, can you explain your comments? Yes, its a charity match which provides fans of both Hibs and Hearts the chance to 'live their dream' by playing for their heroes against their fierce rivals at Easter Road and Tynecastle. and the monies raised are distributed to......which charities?

Pretty Boy
18-01-2013, 11:51 AM
and the monies raised are distributed to......which charities?

Last year it was Hibs and Hearts community foundations.

The year before was Forth One Cash for Kids and another that I can't remember.

£60 000 for local charities in only a few years is a pretty worthy cause imo.

monktonharp
18-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Last year it was Hibs and Hearts community foundations.

The year before was Forth One Cash for Kids and another that I can't remember.

£60 000 for local charities in only a few years is a pretty worthy cause imo.ok, I bow to your particular knowledge on this

SMAXXA
18-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Its for Charity aye but how would you feel if you turned up every week, twice a week, paid a fiver a session then someone swans in with a few weeks to go, gets in the team and you get bumped. You'd feel a bit aggrieved, probably not at the fact you were bumped but the fact you've paid all that dough and someone comes in at the last minute pays next to hee haw and gets in the squad.

They should make a rule to folk that they have to attend at least 75% of the sessions to get in or something like that.

At the end of the day though its for a good cause so its hard to be too critical of it.

I agree and think you make some really good points :agree:, can understand why some people would be miffed at people coming in for the last few sessions. FWIW I have also heard people saying ringers / mates were brought in or something to that affect. Only what I heard not sure if true before someone gets excited and on the defensive.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2013, 02:24 PM
I agree and think you make some really good points :agree:, can understand why some people would be miffed at people coming in for the last few sessions. FWIW I have also heard people saying ringers / mates were brought in or something to that affect. Only what I heard not sure if true before someone gets excited and on the defensive.

Not wishing to speak on Scott's behalf but I think a lot of the points re ringers, mates etc comes down to players being dishonest.

A lot of the selection for the game comes down to trust. On the initial application it is clearly asked what team you support and what clubs you have played for in recent seasons. If people choose to lie at this stage that is the fault of them, not the organisers. I think a lot of it also comes down to the honesty of the respective managers. The year I was involved the Hibs team was quite frankly a shambles. After we were beaten there was a lot of shouting about ringers. The Hearts teamdefinitely only had 2 current junior/senior players in it, however they did include another who had played for Edinburgh United the previous season albeit signed on an amateur form as opposed to a junior. Whilst this technically was within the rules, it was against the spirit imo. I believe the rules now state junior/senior clubs to prevent this.

As for mates. I think its inevitable that the coaches might have a slight bias towards guys they already know or have worked with before. This happens at all levels of football from amateur to top professionals. The rules certainly used to mean all squads had to be submitted about 6 weeks before the game and any changes after that point where injuries only or players otherwise pulling out. Not sure of you mean the late changes occurred before this point or if that rulr has now changed.

Finally I would urge anyone thinking of going along to give this a go. You get a chance to raise a lot of money for good causes and try to.**** the Hearts at Tynecastle at the same time! When people moan.about this they should remember Scott started this from scratch and has put in a hell of a lot of work to get it where it is. Also Dean who is running the Hibs team this year is a decent guy and A good coach. He took Spartans Sunday amateurs to the last 8 of the Scottish this year and will have the team organised and ready to go.

Moncs
18-01-2013, 04:43 PM
I think all the questions raised has been answered, however as people point out over the years there is always mentioned about ringers, non hearts/hibs fans playing etc and as Mister P said a lot of it is to do with trust.

I normally get around 80 applications for EACH team, sadly I don't have the time to go through each applicant and 'investigate' the information he has put down is true or not. Over the past few years about one month before the game I ask each coach to provide me with their final squad, I then pass each squad to the opposition coach who has the opportunity at that time to raise any issues they may have with the other persons selection.

I have made a rod for my own back doing that, because when the game first started in 2006 (I cant take credit for the initial idea, it was Steve Jones (Hearts fan) and Stewart Robertson (Hibs fan) who started it all off, I simply took over the running of the event after year one) it was open to everyone and the coaches picked the best players, it was then decided that it was unfair as many juniors could play and turn the event into a (almost) professional game which is against the nature of the whole thing, so I introduced a maximum of 2 junior per squad rule and this has worked well.

I have worked at this in my spare time since 2007 and in the summer of last year The Homeless World Cup Foundation approached me to see if I would be interested in joining them to take the Rivals4Charity game nationwide and get other rival fans involved, I gladly took on the job and along with Rivals4Charity I am working on 3 or 4 other footballing projects all to raise awareness and funds for the Foundation. I gave up a 20 year career in IT to do this and thus far it is working.

I understand it's not everyones cup of tea and people will moan about things, in fact I even had a Hibs fan one year accuse me of Bias because Hearts keep winning, even my Jambo powers have no control over the actual match itself :greengrin:greengrin, however almost everybody who has played in the matches over the years has came back (win or lose) to me with great feedback and said they enjoyed every minute of it.

Torto7062
18-01-2013, 11:01 PM

good point.
When the applications are in the team should only be picked from that group.
agreed its all for good causes but the payers bust their asses to get into final
squad then find newbies appearing just weeks before the game it is hard to take.

Torto7062
18-01-2013, 11:03 PM
anyway the charities win so lets see a Hibs win at Tynie.

GGTTH

Rivals
21-01-2013, 09:10 AM
The match is now scheduled for Saturday June 1st with a 1pm KO at Tynecastle, with that in mind we have decided to put the start of the trials back to Friday 1th March (7.30pm - 9.30pm @ Spartans)

So, that gives you even more time to register :-)