PDA

View Full Version : Alex Cropley

darwenhibby
12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
On Talk Sport

talking about the tornadoes now

WestEndHibee
12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
was in a taxi to Waverley a couple of months back driven by Cropley. A genuine nice guy with a huge passion for Hibs and the game itself. I was happy for the journey to take as long as possible!

Golden Bear
12-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Was his nephew not playing with the Hibs youth team for a spell ? I've never heard of him for a while now.

hfc rd
12-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Was his nephew not playing with the Hibs youth team for a spell ? I've never heard of him for a while now.

Yep. Jordan Cropley. I think he got released by either Mixu or Yogi at the end of the season. Was pretty dissapointed for the lad as he never got a proper chance.

superfurryhibby
12-12-2012, 07:26 PM
On Talk Sport

talking about the tornadoes now

Whatīs he saying?

Some player, Stantonīs favourite from that team. Seems unbelievable that he was sold to cover the purchase of the fat one. An inexplicable decision by Eddie Turnbull.

He would have been better saving Tom Hartīs cash or investing in a top quality centre half, one that could have put that Deans of Celtic in his place

blackpoolhibs
12-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Yep. Jordan Cropley. I think he got released by either Mixu or Yogi at the end of the season. Was pretty dissapointed for the lad as he never got a proper chance.

I hear this a lot, yet never know how folk come to that conclusion? Is the lad getting a chance somewhere else, or has he drifted out the game now?

All clubs have youth players who show promise, but only so many get the chance, and they only get that chance if they show enough and are thought good enough to get that chance?

In reality a VERY small percentage make it through to the first team.

I'm really struggling to think of many players we have released as kids, who have then gone on to make it at Hibs standard or better?

McD
12-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I hear this a lot, yet never know how folk come to that conclusion? Is the lad getting a chance somewhere else, or has he drifted out the game now?

All clubs have youth players who show promise, but only so many get the chance, and they only get that chance if they show enough and are thought good enough to get that chance?

I'm really struggling to think of many players we have released as kids, who have then gone on to make it at Hibs standard or better?

Jordan Cropley is Alex's son, he played in the youth team that won the league and cup double 3 or 4 years ago. Also in that team were Wotherspoon, Hanlon (he was breaking into the first team at the time), lee currie, and Sean welsh.

Cropley was one of a small bunch who were not offered full pro deals when that side became too old for under19s (9 were). And, to be honest, he probably wasn't offered it not through lack of skill, but because he could be a lazy sod.

last I heard he was playing at junior level, which, without wishing ill on the laddie, probably says that Hibs were right to let him go.

Unfortunately a club the size of hibs won't be able to give every laddie a first team chance, only the cream of the crop will get near the first team. And even then, a lot will still fall by the wayside. The abolition of the reserve league has also made it difficult for clubs to assess young players in a senior arena, and equally for those young men to demonstrate that they can cope playing against full grown men who'll take great pleasure in taking advantage if they can. A very short sighted decision by the SPL.

Bukta#8
12-12-2012, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=hfc rd;3444260]Yep. Jordan Cropley. I think he got released by either Mixu or Yogi at the end of the season. Was pretty dissapointed for the lad as he never got a proper chance.[/QU
Another Hibs legend Gordon Hunter is on the taxi but watch out lads as Neil berry drives on the dayshifts

lapsedhibee
12-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately a club the size of hibs won't be able to give every laddie a first team chance, only the cream of the crop will get near the first team. And even then, a lot will still fall by the wayside. The abolition of the reserve league has also made it difficult for clubs to assess young players in a senior arena, and equally for those young men to demonstrate that they can cope playing against full grown men who'll take great pleasure in taking advantage if they can. A very short sighted decision by the SPL.

Think the young Crops did "get near" the first team, as he made a cameo appearance against Barca at Muddyfield.

ballengeich
12-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Jordan Cropley is Alex's son, he played in the youth team that won the league and cup double 3 or 4 years ago. Also in that team were Wotherspoon, Hanlon (he was breaking into the first team at the time), lee currie, and Sean welsh.

Cropley was one of a small bunch who were not offered full pro deals when that side became too old for under19s (9 were). And, to be honest, he probably wasn't offered it not through lack of skill, but because he could be a lazy sod.

last I heard he was playing at junior level, which, without wishing ill on the laddie, probably says that Hibs were right to let him go.

I saw him playing for Arniston a couple of seasons ago. It seemed to me that he was either unfit or not bothered so I don't think we've missed out.

Alex was one of the most skilled players I've ever seen. He was unlucky with a series of injuries when he moved south. He was relatively lightly built and clever, subtle players weren't as well protected in these days.

.Sean.
12-12-2012, 08:52 PM
His son plays for Haddington Athletic.

poolman
13-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I saw him playing for Arniston a couple of seasons ago. It seemed to me that he was either unfit or not bothered so I don't think we've missed out.

Alex was one of the most skilled players I've ever seen. He was unlucky with a series of injuries when he moved south. He was relatively lightly built and clever, subtle players weren't as well protected in these days.

Aye, but he could still get steamed in to the tackles :agree:

superfurryhibby
13-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Looking at wikipedia. Cropley played 97 top flight games in England and scored 12 goals. Suffered two serious injuries in his time there. There is a link to a good article with , Cropley content, http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/tm_headline=villa-s-45-minute-blitz-of-the-champions&method=full&objectid=18278179&siteid=50002-name_page.html, worth a read.

happiehibbie
13-12-2012, 09:13 AM

He is playing for haddinington Juniors watched the scottish cup tie against Shotts nothing special TBH sent off near the end

Tom Hart RIP
13-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Years ago I read an interview with Ossie Ardiles who was asked who had impressed him most in the English first division. He named three players, two of whose names escape me but the other was Alex Cropley who I think was with Aston villa at the time. That's how good he was.
Injury robbed Scotland of 2 world class players, Alex Cropley and John Brownlie.
In Ted Bracks book about Pats dream team, Alex Ferguson asks the question " how good would JB have been had he not broken his leg?' He rated him that highly

johnrebus
13-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Years ago I read an interview with Ossie Ardiles who was asked who had impressed him most in the English first division. He named three players, two of whose names escape me but the other was Alex Cropley who I think was with Aston villa at the time. That's how good he was.
Injury robbed Scotland of 2 world class players, Alex Cropley and John Brownlie.
In Ted Bracks book about Pats dream team, Alex Ferguson asks the question " how good would JB have been had he not broken his leg?' He rated him that highly

A bit rich coming from him.

Ferguson broke Cropleys' leg at Brockville back in 1971.

:rolleyes:

EVENTUALLY
13-12-2012, 01:23 PM
A bit rich coming from him.

Ferguson broke Cropleys' leg at Brockville back in 1971.

:rolleyes:

The expression used these days when players are late in on tackles is " He left something on him " well that was Fergie in his day. He was without doubt a niggly little B........ with flying elbows who had a very nasty streak. I remember him as a very dirty player and have disliked him for years.