PDA

View Full Version : Football players / Hibs players and Twitter

GreenCastle
10-12-2012, 03:46 PM
I understand on this site we have talked about players from Hibs and other teams being on Twitter and typing certain messages which are out in the public domain for media / other clubs fans to see.

I do think some Twitter usage by footballers and even Hibs players is getting out of control.

Do Hibs not have a code of conduct players must adhere too ?

Leigh Griffiths is one of our best players - and uses Twitter often - sometimes interesting to hear player views after games etc - like wise with McPake.

But some of the abuse and vile posted (and often retweeted by the players) is disgusting and needs reported. It shows a horrible light of society but at the same time I don't think players should be replying to it or giving these low lifes the time of the day.

There are plenty of players who use twitter who use it as another way of connecting with fans and have competitions etc but do Hibs educate their players about the dangers of the social media ?

I notice also Garry O Connors account has just been found to be fake after private images were used to make it look real.

Social media dangerous grounds right now - what are peoples thoughts on this ?

Personally I believe Fenlon should be speaking with LG about twitter and monitoring what is posted - same about McPake tweeting about him being injured before a game etc.

Iceman1875
10-12-2012, 03:56 PM
There should be if not already some kind of dignity at work sign-off. I enjoy following a few of the Hibs players but there needs to be rules as guys like LG are role models for so many kids...

GreenCastle
10-12-2012, 04:02 PM
There should be if not already some kind of dignity at work sign-off. I enjoy following a few of the Hibs players but there needs to be rules as guys like LG are role models for so many kids...

Very true - while many may think the come backs LG posts are funny - the bigger picture and fact is he is currently representing Hibs and is that the image the club wants to give out to future generations ?

Leishy1995
10-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Very true - while many may think the come backs LG posts are funny - the bigger picture and fact is he is currently representing Hibs and is that the image the club wants to give out to future generations ?

To future generations would you not rather give the impression of not caring what you look like, seeing as he just takes the insults on the chin?

keep the faith
10-12-2012, 04:43 PM
The GOC one is very strange. Quite sad someone would want to pretend to be someone else for attention. Well and truly found out now though judging from all the apologies.

HibeeN
10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Personally I believe Fenlon should be speaking with LG about twitter and monitoring what is posted - same about McPake tweeting about him being injured before a game etc.

McPake tends to wait until the teams have already been announced before a game before tweeting that he's injured and gutted to be missing it, don't think I've ever seen him post anything that would inform other teams in advance.

I have to admit, I really like twitter and think it's great to get an insight into goings-on at the club and interesting bits of information from the players, but obviously it can be misused and if a player is having bad day, it's all too easy to get embroiled in a war of words with people giving them abuse (something that happens with Griffiths quite often).

Think there just has to be a balance struck between realising that they are role-models and that younger fans probably read their tweets, and maintaining a degree of freedom of expression.

JollyGreenGiant
10-12-2012, 06:20 PM

:agree:

I follow Leigh on Twitter, 50% of the stuff he tweets about is interesting and you get a bit of an insight into his life away from the game. But the other 50% is just him replying to vile insults directed at him and his family.

Some of the comebacks are funny, but some of them are particularly cringeworthy, and are not the way I would expect a professional player to be behaving on social media.

On the other hand, James McPake, as captain of our club, is generally the model professional on Twitter :cb

Westie1875
10-12-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the players being on twitter, in fact I think it helps with the relationship between the fans and the players and allows an insight into their lives. Some of the abuse Leigh gets is beyond ridiculous so it isn't any wonder he bites at times.

yeezus.
10-12-2012, 08:25 PM
I really can't be bothered with Twitter or Facebook - It's got to the point that Sky Sports News and the BBC are covering players "tweets" like it's important news.

HibeeSince85
10-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Tim Clancy is on a mission to wind up as many celebs as he can, Piers Morgan seems to be target number one:greengrin but its Stan Collymore the now.

Billy McKirdy
10-12-2012, 09:17 PM
A Yam friend posted a screenshot from Garry O'Connor twitter page on my facebook page which supposedly showed a post wishing Skacel harm with an injury, I'm assuming this is the fake O'Connor twitter account mentioned here.

Baldy Foghorn
10-12-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the players being on twitter, in fact I think it helps with the relationship between the fans and the players and allows an insight into their lives. Some of the abuse Leigh gets is beyond ridiculous so it isn't any wonder he bites at times.

Maybe so, but if I was to receive the level of vile posts that LG has to endure, I would seriously consider removing myself from the twitter account.....

Hibbyradge
10-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Real

Not real.

GreenCastle
10-12-2012, 10:29 PM

I agree it gives fans a different insight into what players do at the club and I am sure the messages of support are often welcomed.

The LG abuse is vile and I do wonder about society sometimes - if I was him I would be reporting it or ignoring it. Replying to these people gets them the bite they are looking for.

I am sure there are a lot more well known pros who get just as much if not more abuse. I think some of the younger guys need to be advised also as some of there posts aren't always the most professional - especially when they are trying to make a name for themselves.

SlickShoes
11-12-2012, 09:32 AM
I follow James McPake and he is pretty decent, I recently had to unfollow Leigh, the amount of abuse he gets is beyond ridiculous. I don't understand anyone who spends there time on social networks sending abuse to people (footballers are real people too) threatening there families and what not. Leigh rises to it sometimes and after he called someone a faggot the other day I just stopped following him, I like him as a footballer but lets just leave it at that.

I can only imagine the abuse other players get besides Leigh and they don't make it public, it's pretty depressing that there are people out there that do that sort of thing. I have a severe disliking of hearts but I would never consider internet stalking there players with abuse and threatening there families, its disgusting.