PDA

View Full Version : Is it Really Football We Play in Scotland?

fatbloke
09-12-2012, 05:03 PM
I have, while doing lots of ironing, watched 2.5 games of Premiership football today. Admittedly it is not all great, however, today it was like watching a different sport altogether. At least today all six teams turned up. Why do we up here, not just Hibs, although since Mowbray left we have made it look difficult on more occasions than not, seem to make the game look so difficult. I believe that football is the simplest game in the world yet Scottish teams and players seem unable to master even the very basic skills.

Do I expect too much or is the game just too much for us to master?

Haymaker
09-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Lots of reasons but poor coaching, development and training areas are some of the biggest reasons. Anyone with decent talent will go somewhere better - doesnt mean they will make it however.

Add that too a mentality in youth which is poor for todays top level football and Scotland struggles to develop good players.

JCHibby
09-12-2012, 05:22 PM
I have, while doing lots of ironing, watched 2.5 games of Premiership football today. Admittedly it is not all great, however, today it was like watching a different sport altogether. At least today all six teams turned up. Why do we up here, not just Hibs, although since Mowbray left we have made it look difficult on more occasions than not, seem to make the game look so difficult. I believe that football is the simplest game in the world yet Scottish teams and players seem unable to master even the very basic skills.

Do I expect too much or is the game just too much for us to master?

No - teams are too scared of getting beat in this league, to many financial implications for failure which has a knock on effect to how teams play. Dont worry Doncaster and co have a cunning plan to resolve that....F-Wits

I dont believe that Scotland has bad players at all, but teams are too scared to take a chance and play football, until it is a bigger league this will continue to be the way. If this brutal idea of a SPL 2 happens it will kill our game.

Hibernia&Alba
09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Surely money is the biggest difference. It's only a generation since we were able to compete against the best English teams which often had many Scottish players. For a long time we punched above our weight for a country of five million or so, and perhaps our current experience is our real level once the money moves to the powerhouse nations.