PDA

View Full Version : Question What's the latest you've ever turned up to a football match and why?

iwasthere1972
09-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Mine is an away game to Rangers in the Scottish Cup semi final at Ibrox in 1972. Final score 1-1

Left Edinburgh Waverley for Glasgow but didn't realise that the train was going via Motherwell (thought the train driver had got lost :greengrin) and got to Ibrox just in time for the second half. First memories of the match was just as I got to the top of the stairs in the stadium some hun wanted a pagger :take that Told him to do one as I was there to watch the Hibees. :flag:

3pm
09-12-2012, 03:52 PM
30 mins. Semi v Rangers we won on penalties.

Stevie Wonder would have got us there quicker...

mim
09-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Not because of any travel delay, but because of the size of the crowd, I got into Love Street about half an hour late the day Best made his debut.

Keith_M
09-12-2012, 04:51 PM
I once arrived at a Hibs v Motherwell midweek game 15 mins before the end. I had to work quite late and was determined to see at least some of the game. Obviously, I didn't pay to get in.

:greengrin

hibee_girl
09-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Was about 30-40 minutes late for an away game at Partick once as my Grandad got lost on the way!

We won 3-0 and we still managed to see all the goals :greengrin

SteveHFC
09-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Ayr game this year. Missed the first goal and just got in to see the pen :(

oregonhibby
09-12-2012, 05:38 PM
After the game was finished. Thought it was a 3 o'clock and it was a 12.30! I was travelling a lot then. We lost!

stevenhibs
09-12-2012, 05:44 PM
20 minutes late for a Sunderland, Man United game a few years ago. Mate had a job interview at HSBC which dragged on and on and on. drove down in a hired Daewoo matiz that quite simply got hammered.

FromTheCapital
09-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Got into Easter Road 30 minutes late when we beat Dundee United 2-1 this season because I coach my little brother's team and their Scottish Cup tie went through to penalties... and they won.

Famous Fiver
09-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Don't know if it's true or not but back in dim and distant pas in pre Internet, instant media days, two Hearts fans turned up in Middletons for a 3 o'clock kick off on New Year's Day only to find out they had kicked off at Tynecastle at 2.00 p.m.

Hope it wasn't 1973!!!!

Ray_
09-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Falkirk & Ayr UTD home games during the latter part of 1972, with the district manager away on an extended holiday, his deputy thought it would be a good idea to transfer me, which meant working Saturday's. I took a very late lunch, on the day of both those games, travelled from Frederick Street to ER, watched 20 minutes of the game, the other side of half time, before going back to work. I'm sure I still managed to see six Hibs goals during those 2x20 mins:greengrin

I booked a week's holiday, leading up the the league cup final, which was in the middle of both those games and went to London & then Manchester, making it back to Glasgow just in time for the cup final & on the Monday, I put my notice in at work, the Ayr game was going to be my last day at work.

I was going to move to Manchester the next day, but was still there on the Tuesday evening, saying my last goodbyes at my former workplace, train ticket booked and I was about to leave and the district manager came in asking to speak to me [he was back from holiday & somebody rang him and told him I was there]. I was offered my old place back, including the Saturday for football, a pay rise & reinbursement for the train ticket. I was that close to missing 01-01-1973 :agree:

Argylehibby
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Half time v Dundee Utd. Midweek game and I had been visiting the missus and our new born daughter. We lost 1 nil, had 2 players sent off.

Mark79
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM

Your still due me the petrol money.

lyonhibs
09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
A game against Livingston at ER under Blobby. Must have been about 15-20 minutes late, as I finished work at the Sainsbury's on Morrison Street at 3 (or 2.58 to be precise :greengrin) and ran like a sprinter all the way. Spent most of the rest of the first half recovering my breath.

I seem to remember it was a fairly mediocre game, but the score doesn't stick in my memory.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-12-2012, 06:57 PM
When in Hungary to watch Hibs v Videoton, a few of us went to watch MTK Budapest v Dynamo Kiev (i think) but got the ko time wrong and turned up at the start of the 2nd half, got in for free though!

3pm
09-12-2012, 07:00 PM

If it's based on the route you took, I'll phone the bank manager tomorrow and see if I can get remortgaged!

Ray_
09-12-2012, 07:01 PM
A game against Livingston at ER under Blobby. Must have been about 15-20 minutes late, as I finished work at the Sainsbury's on Morrison Street at 3 (or 2.58 to be precise :greengrin) and ran like a sprinter all the way. Spent most of the rest of the first half recovering my breath.

I seem to remember it was a fairly mediocre game, but the score doesn't stick in my memory.

0-3 by any chance?

Steven_Hibs
09-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Away to Hamilton under Yogi, 2 nil down after 8 mins :rolleyes: Nish got sent off :rolleyes: Only 2 turnstiles open. Huge crowd for us

tbfhibs
09-12-2012, 07:07 PM
46 years old now( bah) anyway 15 mins late for a game v AIrdrie must have been 9 or 10 years old. Anyway sure we where up 3-1 at the time and it ended 6-3 for us ?

Mark79
09-12-2012, 07:07 PM

neilmartinrocks
09-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Bout 10 15 years ago at darkheid just left pub and a dug got whacked on road so my mate went to help *hes a vet* by the time he got back with the tickets the first half just ended.

3pm
09-12-2012, 07:12 PM

You want it twice?!

Nakedmanoncrack
09-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Arrived at half time loads of times when I had a ST after coming straight from work, but best memory of late arrival is Skol Cup semi at Hampden, just walking down the steps as Keith nodded in Micky Weir's cross.
:flag:

Scouse Hibee
09-12-2012, 07:25 PM
It has to be the MK Dons v AFC WImbledon match, I still haven't not arrived yet!

erin go bragh
09-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Mid 80s , when the bus left at 9am to go up to Aberdeen , our bus the Bonnyrigg /Dalkeith branch , broke down , our replacement bus then broke down .

I think we got into the game just before half time ,but its a bit hazy [every time we broke down ,we were outside pubs :wink:]

ggtth

Alfred E Newman
09-12-2012, 07:41 PM
In 1965 I had to wait for a bus from Princes St along to Tynie and missed the first 15 mins. Couldn`t get in for the Hearts fans leaving. Score when I got in was 0-4

3pm
09-12-2012, 08:10 PM
It has to be the MK Dons v AFC WImbledon match, I still haven't not arrived yet!

You still owe bus money!

Scouse Hibee
09-12-2012, 08:13 PM
You still owe bus money!

I'll pay up when we finally don't get there!

MSK
09-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I used to see the Edina hibs pitches from my window ..one day (aged aboot 12) I looked out the back window ..saw Edina hibs were playing ..stooried through the back green ..doon tae the burn ..fell into the burn ..wet & caked in sludge I made it to the pitch side only for the ref to blow the whistle for full time ..:grr:

Frogga
09-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Away at Rugby Park a few years back I arrived at half time... in my haste I rushed through the gate, paid my cash and then realised I was in the wrong bloody end of the ground! Was treated to a second half winner from Jamie Hammill for them.

Diclonius
09-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Aberdeen at ER, season 2008-09. Our bus from Dundee was delayed so we got on a later one which also decided to go through practically all of Fife. Managed to get there around 30 mins in with the score at 0-0. The full time score?

0-0. :rolleyes:

yeezus.
09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Hibs 0-0 Sunderland last year.

The sailing from Ireland dictates our schedule and when it was late the bus HAD to wait for it - I was only about 15 minutes late but it was hardly a game worth going up for after all.

:rolleyes:

trev the hat
09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Dens park 20 odd yr ago, arrived 3.30, having missed all three goals in a 2-1 defeat.

Makaveli
09-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Clydebank away 98/99.

Ridiculous traffic meant that we arrived about 35 or 40 minuted late. Hibs were 1-0 down and literally the first kick I saw was Stevie Crawford missing a penalty. We went to lose 2-0, our first defeat in about 22 games IIRC.

SteveHFC
09-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Clydebank away 98/99.

Ridiculous traffic meant that we arrived about 35 or 40 minuted late. Hibs were 1-0 down and literally the first kick I saw was Stevie Crawford missing a penalty. We went to lose 2-0, our first defeat in about 22 games IIRC.

Missed the first 30mins if i can remember ;)

Fantic
09-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Years ago we had a few refreshments in the Tor and the game started on the tv. We were finishing up our pints but Rangers scored before we left so we just stayed in the pub. Hibs got hammered so did we! So technically not late in for the game, but we did have tickets!

Liberal Hibby
09-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Can't remember the year but we were playing Airdrie in the relegation play off. Plane was delayed and I landed at the airport at about 3.15. Jumped in a cab who got to ER pretty sharpish to be told by a steward it was a sell out and the wouldn't/couldn't let me in.

Had to hang around the back of the old stand listening to the crowd - Hibs won 2-0 (I think). Managed to get in for the last 20 mins - standing at the back of the old south enclosure.

Nakedmanoncrack
09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Clydebank away 98/99.

A game played in the delightful setting of boghead Dumbarton, it had barely changed since the previous visit there for a crucial regation battle in the early 80s.

PatHead
09-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Ayr game this year. Missed the first goal and just got in to see the pen :(

You on the Dalkeith bus that day?

Eyrie
09-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Arrived at half time for the Skol Cup semi against Huns RIP. A combination of leaving Edinburgh late, neither of us knowing where Hampden was and then having to park miles away.

Consolation was that we made damned sure we were there early for the final, which was just as well.

hibs0666
09-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Aston Villa v Hibs friendly about 25 years ago. Got into Birmigham bus station about 10 minutes before the end of the game. :confused:

Billy McKirdy
09-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Arrived at half time for the Skol Cup semi against Huns RIP. A combination of leaving Edinburgh late, neither of us knowing where Hampden was and then having to park miles away.

Consolation was that we made damned sure we were there early for the final, which was just as well.

Was that the 1985 game? the buses were held up on the M8 due to roadworks, I mind the bus stopping a few times and folk getting off for a pi55 on the hard shoulder, we never arrived until just before Cooper scored the only goal of the game with a penalty late in the first half, it didn't matter however due to our 2-0 result in the first leg, the final itself against the Dons is best forgotten :confused:

EdinMike
10-12-2012, 12:53 AM
I was about to say I haven't been more than a few minutes late for a game, due to traffic or finishing a drink...

But then I had the re-occurring memory of that 6-2 game when I was a laddie dragging my Mum around Spain trying to find a pub which was showing the game. I think I was 50 minutes and a fair few miles late for that game :boo hoo:

Cameron1875
10-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Turned up at half time the night we beat livi 7-0 (05/06 season). Had football training so turned up to ER hoping to see maybe 1 or 2 goals but in the end i think we scored 5 in 2nd half :top marks.

KingFranck
10-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Mid 80s , when the bus left at 9am to go up to Aberdeen , our bus the Bonnyrigg /Dalkeith branch , broke down , our replacement bus then broke down .

I think we got into the game just before half time ,but its a bit hazy [every time we broke down ,we were outside pubs :wink:]

ggtth

I was on that bus as well! Broke down at the Rainbow first of all so some nips in there then somewhere near Dundee and as you see right outside a pub. My memory says it was a red white and blue bus with orange seats they sent as a replacement and first of all we refused to get on it then refused to sit on the seats :greengrin
Got to Aberdeen and the guy was going to charge us full price until we argued we were only going to see half a match!

Hibbyradge
10-12-2012, 06:45 AM
I got to Tannadice for a game in the early 80's just as the second half was starting. we were already 5 - 0 down.

I had been on holiday in York and traffic was bad on the way back to Edinburgh.

I remember crossing the Forth Road Bridge as the games kicked off then breaking the land speed record in a hired Ford Sierra to get to the ground in about 45 minutes.

Miraculously, I found a parking space quite close to the ground and was able to enjoy a non-scoring draw in the second half!

Albanian Hibs
10-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Away to Hamilton under Yogi, 2 nil down after 8 mins :rolleyes: Nish got sent off :rolleyes: Only 2 turnstiles open. Huge crowd for us

That one for me too. We were just getting to our seats when the second goal went in. Hibs had a massive crowd through and I remember it being really hoy too. Totally disaster of a game/day. Did Riordan not miss a penalty too?

HibeeMassive
10-12-2012, 08:36 AM
For about 3 or 4 seasons, me and the old man used to turn up at half time every (or, most anyway) home game. I played on Saturdays, 2pm kick off, still got our ST's though and just made a mad rush up to ER for the start of the 2nd half.
No time for a shower just a quick change, still minging with mud in the winter, bet I was a pleasure to sit beside :greengrin

Another time I was late was 1st game of the season, we'd been down in Wales for a week. Left first thing on the Sat morning, horsed it up the road, pit-stop'd at the house to drop the wife and kids off and straight up to ER. Got there about quarter past 3, thinking that's a result - wasn't sure if I'd make it. As I was walking up the stairs, Hibs scored and I missed the only goal of the game :rolleyes:

Lucius Apuleius
10-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Scottish Cup replay at East Fife ('83?). Mental queues to get in.

AustinHibee
10-12-2012, 11:13 AM
I used to see the Edina hibs pitches from my window ..one day (aged aboot 12) I looked out the back window ..saw Edina hibs were playing ..stooried through the back green ..doon tae the burn ..fell into the burn ..wet & caked in sludge I made it to the pitch side only for the ref to blow the whistle for full time ..:grr:
Thanks for the laugh on a Monday morning.

Part/Time Supporter
10-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Hibs v Motherwell, 31 January 2009 because the tax return deadline fell on a Saturday that year. Finished at about 3.30 ish and got into Easter Road with about 10 minutes to go. Nothing of note happened.

Part/Time Supporter
10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
That one for me too. We were just getting to our seats when the second goal went in. Hibs had a massive crowd through and I remember it being really hoy too. Totally disaster of a game/day. Did Riordan not miss a penalty too?

Saved by Cerny

IIRC it was given for handball on the line. Ref didn't send anybody off because he didn't recognise who had handled the ball (seriously).

:rolleyes:

edinburghhibee
10-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I was really young and went to a hibs v raith game with my best mate at the time and his dad. We were late due to terrible traffic on the forth road bridge and made it into the game at half time. From what I recall raith were 2-0 up and we ended up getting something to eat and leaving again. Something in the back of my mind reminds me we missed 2 hibs goals and the game finishing 2-2.

kennyh
10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Hun semi at Ibrox as part of the Hibee convoy that was delayed at the Kingston Bridge.... Got in just as Cooper scored direct from a free kick but it didnt matter as we held on to win the Semi 2-1.

Pre season game years ago V Stoke I think, I messed up and thought it was a later KO. Got in at HT and had to pay full whack for two of us !! Nightmare after that as I got back to Robbies to "NOT" find my car there. After panicking a bit and trying to figure out what to do I realised the car was another street down. Never been as happy in my life to see my car.

MoscowHibs
10-12-2012, 02:41 PM
In 1980 me and a mate got the train fae Aberdeen for a midweek shield final v the yaks at the PBS. Train broke doon so we eventually arrived with about 20 mins left, wi heaps of Hibbies leaving, due to being 2-0 doon. Willie Jamieson grabbed the equaliser wi minutes tae go then we won on pens.

Prof. Shaggy
10-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Had to reconnect some dodgy wires in the distributor en route to Rugby Park sometime near the end of the last century. It was a special £5 end of season ticket price.
Arriving after half time, negotiating entrance was difficult, but I persevered...
Match ended 1-1 with both goals scored in the first half.

Wakeyhibee
10-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Bused it from Manchester via Glasgow no direct ones in them days, A74 was a nightmare of roadworks landed at 3pm in Edinburgh ran from Princess St to Eatser rd dodging various unwashed on the way missed first two goals but just caught his heinous tackle and sending off. The rest is history

NorthNorfolkHFC
10-12-2012, 06:39 PM
2010 Copa America.

Was staying in Buenos Aires and Brazil were due to play Paraguay in La Plata.

Never seen Brazil so was stupidly excited, pretty gutted when I woke up after a huge night not long before kick off time in Buenos Aires (1 hour from La Plata).

I got to the game at about 75 minutes after an expensive taxi to witness Brazil missing every penalty. Give me Hibs any day.

The_Horde
10-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Turned up 25 mins into our semi final vs aberdeen last season as a few folk on our bus didny want to leave the boozer.

brythehibby
10-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Day after boxing day 2004 @ Tannadump. Missed the train and didnt get there until 50+ mins by which point it was 3-1 to us. Paid full price to get in too! Won 4-1 i think.

Eyrie
10-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Was that the 1985 game? the buses were held up on the M8 due to roadworks, I mind the bus stopping a few times and folk getting off for a pi55 on the hard shoulder, we never arrived until just before Cooper scored the only goal of the game with a penalty late in the first half, it didn't matter however due to our 2-0 result in the first leg, the final itself against the Dons is best forgotten :confused:

1991 semi-final. As regards the 1985 final, my only memory of that game (other than being completely outplayed) was Paul Kane hitting the crossbar.

Deeklipse
10-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Scotland v Trinidad at ER. Was a 2pm kick off, my brother and I were already registered to do the Dunfermline Half Marathon starting 11am and the Bridge was shut. Finished in just under 2 hours, kept running out of the Glen where the race finished, hailed taxi and asked for Inverkeithing Station where we could get train to Waverley and make game. Unfortunately the cabbie didn't quite get the message and kept getting out to give directions to another driver resulting in us getting to the station just in time to see our train pull away. We heard the first and second goals on the radio in the taxi from Waverley and arrived outside ER just in time to hear the cheer for number 3 (Caldwell while a Hibs player I think). At least I got to see Quashie's goal and the T&T goal in between searching for my wee bro who went for a drink and didn't return having almost fainted due to the heat after running!

Penrith Hibee
10-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Sporting Lisbon in the early 70's. Mum was late home from work and I was looking after my wee brother and 2 sisters. Got the 8 bus from the Inch and ran from Broughton Street to ER. Got in when it was 2-0 I think. Great night!

Billy McKirdy
10-12-2012, 09:12 PM
1991 semi-final. As regards the 1985 final, my only memory of that game (other than being completely outplayed) was Paul Kane hitting the crossbar.

The 1991 semi, I missed that as I couldn't get the time off work, made the final though :thumbsup:
Just reminded by a previous poster that Cooper scored with a free kick, not a penalty, that game remains to this day, my only ever visit to Govan :wink: